Marti

>

> In the past I've gotten my blood test for TSH, Free T4, Free T3, etc

> at the same time as my cholesterol so it's always been a first thing

> in the morning fasting test and typically within 2-4 hours of taking

> my thyroid meds. However, I'm now going to a doctor for just my

> thyroid and will only be getting screened for the various thyroid

> levels. No more cholesterol which required me to be fasting. What is

> the best timing for taking your meds on the day of your blood test?

> Also is it best to get your blood test when fasting or not? Thanks!

>

>

Thank you Marti! It will be interesting to see what my thyroid levels look

if I don't take my meds a couple of hours prior to the blood being drawn as

I've been doing.

Janna

Re: Timing of blood tests

I always go fasting because I want them to really see what's in my system,

not what I just put into my system. I also do not take any meds until after

the test. Of course, I always try to get in first thing in the morning, too.

;-)

Marti

>

>

>

------------------------------------

It is generally recommended to get tested before taking any thyroid hormone for that day.  Otherwise the results can be skewed based on peak blood levels (for T3 in particular).   I can't function without my thyroid so I always get tested first thing in the morning and bring the thyroid with me so I can take it before I leave the lab.  I think it's also helpful to consistently get measured the same time of day as levels to vary during the day. 

B.

In the past I've gotten my blood test for TSH, Free T4, Free T3, etc at the same time as my cholesterol so it's always been a first thing in the morning fasting test and typically within 2-4 hours of taking my thyroid meds. However, I'm now going to a doctor for just my thyroid and will only be getting screened for the various thyroid levels. No more cholesterol which required me to be fasting. What is the best timing for taking your meds on the day of your blood test? Also is it best to get your blood test when fasting or not? Thanks!

You may very well find that you are under medicated.  I didn't know not to take my thyroid before testing and the doc gradually decreased my thyroid to the point I was not functioning at all.  She was very puzzled when I didn't take the thyroid before the last set of labs I did with her (I figured if she didn't know to tell me not to take my thyroid, she wasn't worth a hoot anyways). 

BOn Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Janna Dutt (secondary account) wrote:

Thank you Marti! It will be interesting to see what my thyroid levels look

if I don't take my meds a couple of hours prior to the blood being drawn as

I've been doing.

Janna

Re: Timing of blood tests

I always go fasting because I want them to really see what's in my system,

not what I just put into my system. I also do not take any meds until after

the test. Of course, I always try to get in first thing in the morning, too.

;-)

Marti

>

>

>

------------------------------------

I think it is important to know where you are at once you have taken your medication too, though.  I have done both, and as long as you know the difference between your medicated and unmedicated labs, you are good.  An example of my labs medicated and unmedicated: 

Medicated - 6 hours after taking meds for the day, thyroidless, non multi-doser, TSH .05 (.3-4.5)  FT4 1.1 (.8-1.77)  FT3 5.1 (2-4.4)   Unmedicated - TSH .05 FT4 .9 FT3 3.5I have done this MANY times, so that point change in FT4 and FT3 values is a good representation in my situation.

In the past I've gotten my blood test for TSH, Free T4, Free T3, etc at the same time as my cholesterol so it's always been a first thing in the morning fasting test and typically within 2-4 hours of taking my thyroid meds. However, I'm now going to a doctor for just my thyroid and will only be getting screened for the various thyroid levels. No more cholesterol which required me to be fasting. What is the best timing for taking your meds on the day of your blood test? Also is it best to get your blood test when fasting or not? Thanks!

I really appreciate all of the great input. Thank you! From: Texas_Thyroid_Groups [mailto:Texas_Thyroid_Groups ] On Behalf Of MetcalfSent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:27 PMTo: Texas_Thyroid_Groups Subject: Re: Timing of blood tests I think it is important to know where you are at once you have taken your medication too, though. I have done both, and as long as you know the difference between your medicated and unmedicated labs, you are good. An example of my labs medicated and unmedicated: Medicated - 6 hours after taking meds for the day, thyroidless, non multi-doser, TSH .05 (.3-4.5) FT4 1.1 (.8-1.77) FT3 5.1 (2-4.4) Unmedicated - TSH .05 FT4 .9 FT3 3.5I have done this MANY times, so that point change in FT4 and FT3 values is a good representation in my situation. In the past I've gotten my blood test for TSH, Free T4, Free T3, etc at the same time as my cholesterol so it's always been a first thing in the morning fasting test and typically within 2-4 hours of taking my thyroid meds. However, I'm now going to a doctor for just my thyroid and will only be getting screened for the various thyroid levels. No more cholesterol which required me to be fasting. What is the best timing for taking your meds on the day of your blood test? Also is it best to get your blood test when fasting or not? Thanks!