RemedySpot.com

Update from April RE: Has anyone here been successful in getting Recreation and Leisure Goals on school IEP? Haven

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I learned last night that our Community and Home Based waiver provider case manager gotapproval for waiver to pay for a Rec Leisure Eval and 10 hours of training. Yea. In Sept. atthe school meeting we can see if we need to add any of the goal in his IEP. April To: texas-autism-advocacy From: aprilveronica@...Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 08:00:10 -0500Subject: RE: Has anyone here been successful in getting Recreation and Leisure Goals on school IEP? Haven

Haven,I printed your response to read on my lunch break today. I know everything you write is correctand helpful. I have a file folder with your name on it!!!! I will update later.Thanks,April To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy From: hdelay@...Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:44:50 -0500Subject: Re: Has anyone here been successful in getting Recreation and Leisure Goals on school IEP?

April,In order to get them to provide these services, you must first prove the need. Then you must ask lots of "Who, what, why, when, and how questions" in response to their contention that it is already being done.

You must ask for and demand accountability. If this (what you want and are asking for) is needed to meet the unique needs of the student, then state what the purpose of it is. Under IDEA, students need certain things in order to prepare them for post-secondary education, employment, and independent living.

Children with autism certainly need breaks in order to decompress. They need social interactions with their peers to develop social skills; however, I believe it should not be completely free but that there should be some sort of direction/intervention to it (therapeutic) -- someone trained needs to facilitate the social interaction so as to teach the social skills.

The next thing you must do is come up with concrete goals/objectives that your child will learn by having this REC/leisure time, and the progress on these needs to be tracked in a concrete way so that progress can be measured.

Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use