RemedySpot.com

technical advice

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Good morning all,I am in the planning stages of a massive community art project upstate. It will be composed of 6"x6" (about 600) squares onto which participants will collage multi-media stuff (paper, grains, plastic, stones...). I would like to install it outside. It will need to be sealed. Questions: Has anyone had difficulty or success permanently gluing materials onto unglazed ceramic tile? Has anyone had difficulty or success sealing such a product for outdoor installation? I'd prefer to use wooden blocks for the 6x6 tiles, but understand that they would be really tough to seal enough to install outside while maintaining the integrity of the art glued onto the wood. I really appreciate the input. Mlynarczyk, ATR-BC,

LCAT

Just saw this. Could you use a resin product. See artis use resin in this video.

Subject: technical adviceTo: "nyccat " <nyccat >Date: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 8:16 AM

Good morning all,

I am in the planning stages of a massive community art project upstate. It will be composed of 6"x6" (about 600) squares onto which participants will collage multi-media stuff (paper, grains, plastic, stones...). I would like to install it outside. It will need to be sealed. Questions: Has anyone had difficulty or success permanently gluing materials onto unglazed ceramic tile? Has anyone had difficulty or success sealing such a product for outdoor installation? I'd prefer to use wooden blocks for the 6x6 tiles, but understand that they would be really tough to seal enough to install outside while maintaining the integrity of the art glued onto the wood. I really appreciate the input.

Mlynarczyk, ATR-BC, LCAT

Hi , To my knowledge, even unsealed tile will have a difficult time surviving the freezing and thawing of an upstate NY winter. It may be harder and denser than a clay pot, but will surely crack within one or two seasons… Your best bet for info of this sort might be an engineering or construction site…or a website specializing in outdoor sculpture or garden projects. And consider ditching the paper for a plastic or metal substitute…Good luck… and do pass any information on when you get it. I’m sure many would be interested… Best,Phoebe Phoebe NYC: cell: phoebe@... From: NYCCAT [mailto:NYCCAT ] On Behalf Of sarah keenanSent: Saturday, January 07, 2012 8:17 AMTo: nyccat Subject: technical advice Good morning all,I am in the planning stages of a massive community art project upstate. It will be composed of 6 " x6 " (about 600) squares onto which participants will collage multi-media stuff (paper, grains, plastic, stones...). I would like to install it outside. It will need to be sealed. Questions: Has anyone had difficulty or success permanently gluing materials onto unglazed ceramic tile? Has anyone had difficulty or success sealing such a product for outdoor installation? I'd prefer to use wooden blocks for the 6x6 tiles, but understand that they would be really tough to seal enough to install outside while maintaining the integrity of the art glued onto the wood. I really appreciate the input. Mlynarczyk, ATR-BC, LCAT