RemedySpot.com

RPM

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I've heard a lot of people on various posts mention RPM recently here & there & was wondering how I can find out more about it. We've tried various Communication Methods with our non-verbal 11 yr old son with limited success & results. Other than the Internet, can any of you suggest books or other sources to find out more info?We're relocating back to Texas mid-Summer & feel this might be viable for our son but would like to know prerequisites, etc. I thought Soma had a center in Austin but was wondering about resources in DFW & primarily the Plano area. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks,Dolly

What bothers me most is the comment "He's learned all that he can learn". As if there is some cap to his intelligence. When do any of us stop learning? Maybe it's the teaching method that has stalled? They wanted to put my 6th grader in a lifeskills class before we found RPM and then again I had to fight to keep the one to one inclusion we had gained when he learned to communicate with an aide on a letterboard in all academic classes. They pushed me to include life skills and I refused. My son would also verbally say. "Yes work" "live with mom" but on the letterboard will tell you he wants to invent things and get married. I can teach my son to cook and clean they need to teach the rest.

A job coach should be provided by the state but the school is on the hook till at least 21 in your state they don't get to say "thats all we can do" and chuck him out. Sounds like you need an advocate and I suggest you contact your schools sped director and inquire about transition services and go see some of these jobs they are thinking of. Services for adults are abysmal here in Texas but just because my sons voice and body doesn't respond the same way as everyone else does not mean I'm going to stand by and allow him to do meaningless work just to pass time. The mind is a horrible thing to waste. My 17 year old son is being pursued by colleges all over the country. They have no idea he uses a letterboard and needs full time support. He is brilliant AND Autistic. It's a new world.

And if you have a younger child and you read this and you think this won't happen to you because you are going to magically recover, I suggest you start making a plan. Support organizations like Golden Hat or Autism Trust who are trying to make real lives for the children and adults who are your future. Hiding from the future doesn't make it better. Ask around. How many children diagnosed with Autism at age 3 recover by 18? Autism is now one in 88 or one in 65 depending on the study.

I had to work hard to get this for , and I know they are going to water this down as they have done to everything else the last 8 years.We live in Arkansas. His class placement is Community Based Instruction (CBI) yet they informed me that they don't take students to a work place off campus tois

get job skills. They said they won't pay for a Recreational and Leisure Therapy Eval, but if I can pay for it or find funding for it they will impliment it.I did find funding. Eval starts this Friday.

The sped director told me the speech path and OT were implimenting rec therapy in their sessions with and they both confirmed itverbally at the meeting a few weeks ago, but when I emailed the speech path 3 times asking for details about how she accomplishes this

in his speech sessions I never got a reply. A private speech therapist told me it is illegal for a speech therapist to impliment Rec Therapy.It would be Medicaid fraud. So, I am assuming that is also true for the school speech path and that is why she isn't responding to me.

is 14 years old and will be in 9th grade in the fall. Turns 15 in November. Here is what Form #400 (ADE SPED Required Form - July 2008) says: Transition Goals and Services Child's Postsecondary Goals

was given the Picture Interest Career Survey on 02-02-12 by his teacher, Ms. M. Ms. M prompted to select from 3 given pictures by pointing to what he liked best. 's Occupational PICS Code was RSCAIE

(Realist, Social, Conventional, Artistic, Investigative, and Enterprising). Also with Ms. M's assistance, completedthe Ansell Casey Life Skills Assessment (Youth 3) on 02-03-12. scored a raw score of 52% on

Communication, 67% on Daily Living, 33% on Housing and Money Management, 53% on Self Care, 76% on Social Relationships, and 75% on Work and Study Skills. attended his IEP meeting and participated inthe development of his plan.

Goals For Employment and Education are REQUIRED, list goals for Independent LivingSkills as appropriate. 1. Postsecondary Career/Employment Goal(s): As an adult, what kind of work do you want to do/will you do?

When asked if wanted to work when he got older, he said, "Work." When asked what would like to do as work, he said, " work."(1.) After graduation from B. High School, will work with agriculture in the community.

(2.) will work at least 5 days a week for a minimum of six hours daily. 2. Postsecondary Education/Training Goal(s): After High School, what additional educational and training will ou want/need to receive?

(1.) will need to receive on the job training by his employer in his assigned job duties and tasks. 3. Postsecondary Independent Living Skills/Community Participation Goal(s): As an adult, how and where do you want to/will you live and what skills will you need to live as independently as possible?

When asked if wanted to live with his mother or by himself, said, "Mom."(1.) will continue to live at home with mother will supports from outside agencies The IEP team will meet again prior to graduation to see where intends to live after graduation.

List age appropriate transition assessments used indetermining postsecondry goals:02-02-12: Picture Interest Career Survey02-03-12: Ansell Casey Life Skills Assessment (Youth 3)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next page is Form #401 Transition Services Transition Activities/Services Responsibile Person/Party Semester to be implemented Status: 1: New, 2: Continue, 3: Completed

Career/Employment ActivitiesInvestigate Jobs in the field of agriculture SPED Teacher/Student Fall 12 - Spring 13 1Continue to work on oral communication skills Speech path/Student Fall 12 - Spring 13 1

Secondary Education/Training ActivitiesLearn fundamentals of government process Civics Teacher/Student F 12 - S 13 1Learn fundamentals of basic finance skills Econ Teacher/Student F 12 - S 13 1

Independent Living Skills/Community Participation ActivitiesSpecial Olympics SPED Teacher/Student F 12 - S 13 1Continue to work on coordination and language skills in OT OT/Student F 12 - S 13 1

OtherNone listed here Was there a need to invite a community agency representative likely to provide current or future services?The school checked the NO box here. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IEP Form #402 Courses of StudyListed recommended courses to be taken from current year to anticipated exit year. Include those courses needed to assist the child in reaching post secondary goals.

9th grade: Vocational Community ServiceDomesticLeisureRecreationalDaily Living SkillsKeystone 10th grade: CommunityVocationalDomesticElective - 2 Metro: Culinary Arts

11th grade: CommunityVocationalDomesticElective - 2 Metro: Culinary Arts 12th grade: CommuntiyVocationalDomestic Elective - 2 Metro: Culinary Arts Ages 18-21

School wouldn't list anything here because they know I want Duel Education at the local Vo-Tech College in Culinary Arts and for the first time every theysaid may not even need to go to school past age 18 because he just may have learned all that he could learn. Before they knew I wanted Duel Ed.

they wanted him through age 21. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to sender |

Reply to group |

Reply via web post |

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic

(2)

Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use