RemedySpot.com

Re: no cure for bronchiectasis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks for your input. How did you hear about probiotics? Did your doctor recommend them to you or did you just experiment around? Do they really help and if so, how do you know?

Hi Cassie..

Probiotics arent a herb..Probiotics replaces the good flora that frequent antibiotic use destroys. This is SO important for healthy colon. Trust me on this. You don't want to wind up w/colon complications ontop of your lung issues due to antibiotics which are such a necessity in our life..

Though most natural food stores will claim a number of beneficial effects of eating probiotics, only a few of these effects have been proven clinically. Most of the beneficial effects of probiotics relate to those who are taking antibiotics. Antibiotics are fantastic for killing off germs that are making us sick. But they do not discriminate between “bad†germs, and the “good germs†like those contained in probiotics.

As a result, the delicate balance of “good†bacteria in our bodies can be disturbed. Antibiotic use has been indicated in causing yeast infections, jock itch, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), and urinary tract infections. One of the theories behind probiotics is that taking probiotics during antibiotic treatment may maintain healthy balance in these areas of our body by replacing "good" bacteria.

Most commonly people think of yogurt as a probiotic food. Yogurt has been shown to keep the intestinal tract, and the vaginal area from suffering a loss of healthy bacteria. Yogurt is probiotic when it contains lactobacillus, or other bacteria. Usually yogurt will have a label reading, “contains live cultures.†Many doctors now recommend consuming probiotics like yogurt during a course of antibiotics to prevent yeast infection or long-term IBS. Since bacteria has also been indicated in yeast infections occurring in the groin, like jock itch, men are also encouraged to eat yogurt with probiotics.

Another probiotics favorite is kefir, a drink made with cultures that is usually flavored with fruit. What is not generally probiotic, however, is frozen yogurt. So, as good as this may taste, a scoop of frozen vanilla yogurt will not prevent or help heal a yeast infection. Probiotics can be easily obtained in regular yogurt, kefir, cottage cheeses, preserved vegetables and powdered drink mixes. Be sure to look on the label for the presence of probiotics.

When we take probiotics, we are actually adding bacteria back to our system. Not all bacteria are considered safe to digest, however. Our intestines contain bacteria that can be intensely harmful, like E. Coli, Strep and Staph. Good hygiene practices when using the restroom is essential to prevent life-threatening infections. Step B, which can be present on skin cells, in the anus and the vagina, can affect newborns exposed to the bacteria when traveling through the birth canal. Normal bacteria on skin may also make one more vulnerable to infections from cuts or burns.

Most commercial preparations include only healthy probiotics that will not harm us. But claims about additional benefits of probiotics are not clinically tested. Common unproven claims are that probiotics slow aging, are anti-oxidants or anti-carcinogenic, cure headaches, restore energy, and may regulate mood for those with bipolar or depression.

Further clinical studies need to be undertaken to prove the veracity of these other claims. For now, however, research suggests use of probiotics during and after taking antibiotics may be helpful. If one is prone to frequent yeast infections or jock itch, probiotics may also help reduce incidence of these conditions. Those suffering from IBS may find the probiotics in yogurt particularly helpful as well.

In my circle anyone taking antibiotics always takes Probiotics .. no sense inviting more trouble to our door..it's very safe.

Sandie

Never Look Down on SomeoneUnless You're Willing to Help Them UpStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Hi Joy,

You are right about it being difficult to diagnose. I read in an article on the web recently that bronch was just recognized in 1995. It takes many forms, one of them is cystic fibrosis, and it can be pediatric and/or idiopathic (no known cause). So a lot of docs don't really know what they are dealing with. The internist I was seeing from 1999 until 2006 sent me to a pulmonary doctor (one of many I have seen) and completely overlooked the emphysema and pulmonary reports about pulmonary hypertension. When I told him I have bronchiectasis he said "Huh, bronchiectasis?" and that was that. The pulmonary doc I see now acts like he doesn't know what it is and tells me I am tired because I am depressed. It is very frustrating to say the least.

I am going to start probiotics and try the Kashi Go Lean someone recommended because I need to build up my strength.

Stay strong

MarilynStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Hi again Marilyn,

Funny, just after sending message about ‘no cure’ I came across a web-site, with references to ‘reversible bronchiectasis’ ie early days of, before it really sets in. Don’t know if that actually happens much, so little seems to be known about it within the medical field the biggest prob is a diagnosis before it’s too late to be reversible...

Cheers all

--

Joy

Qld, Australia

-- --

" Wealth is nothing, position is nothing, fame is nothing.

Who you become inside is everything.

What happens to you is not as important as how you react to what happens. "

Hi Cassie,

Hear hear for your last sentence, it’s scary to go through the daily symptoms by yourself – and this even when you’ve had it since very very young.

To backtrack, I lucked out the day I was born a bit - a cleft palate, a collapsed lung b4 2yo (whooping cough), surgeries++ for palate repair, then lots more, into my 20s (with several more since, have lost count past ?25).

I don’t remember not coughing gunk, from childhood, was diagnosed age 18 via bronchogram (a dye injected into the lungs, then x-ray [no CT in 1970]).

I have had some years not too bad – climbed a volcano in Indonesia, small ‘mountains’ and such in my 30s, and worked in my 20s without losing too many jobs, but I think by late-30s, into my 40s, I started having more difficulty coping with ordinary things and working full time – but have always been active as far as is possible. I did have ok times, but generally, sick more often, not really well..

It seems most people have reasonable quality of life mostly and don’t start having symptoms until in their 40s or 50s – I started in my teens, so naturally, further down the track...

Re immuno-suppression - could be part of the bronch package, rather than a result of,

Pneumonia could have been the cause – bronch is mostly started off by trauma to the lung, unless congenital.

Abx will affect digestion and therefore health later, but if you’re sick – you need them, but try and get as much info as poss, sadly medicos just don’t know enough.

Re prednisone – oral steroids – high causality of osteoporosis, (some meds for it can cause jaw bone necrosis if you have teeth removed). I think they tend not to be favoured in Oz, so luckily have only had one course (that I know of! - I have no idea what I was given in childhood, teens). So after 50+ years of abx, I guess it’s not surprising have developed resistance, and have probably picked up infections in hospitals. Yes Ciprox is all that works now, haven’t heard of Zithromax – can you tell me more. It may not help as it seems Pseudomonas needs a broad-spectrum ab. Generally speaking, I’ve understood bronch to need broad-spectrum as there are often multiple organisms causing infection.

Gee, and here I am hoping to allay your fears! It isn’t easy, but it’s important not to get too absorbed in it either – you are still alive, and have (hopefully!) all the bits working... It just takes some navigating to work with it and learn to enjoy. We’re the lucky ones, there are many people who can’t access, or live places where no treatment is available. I can still do a 5km walk in my ‘good’ times, if the weather is fine, and I live in a nice part of the world, with wonderful places to walk in rainforest, so it’s not all bad!

Someone once said, treat it as your friend – it’s always with you! Bit hard to get my head around that one at times, but better than being enemies..

remain happy, if not always well

--

Joy

Qld, Australia

-- --

" Wealth is nothing, position is nothing, fame is nothing.

Who you become inside is everything.

What happens to you is not as important as how you react to what happens. "