> I know it's hard to talk about the future. I realize that we get up everyday

and it's all we can do just to make it to the end of the day. And its scary as

hell to think about being old or being dead especially when you have a child

with disabilities. But we have to talk about the future. I have a 21 year old

son. My " future " is already here. It seems just like yesterday that he was

little and all I had to think about was what was there in the present. Before I

turned around, he was an adult. I've done some things to prepare for the

inevitable fact that one day I will not be there to care for him. I have a

trust, life insurance, guardianship, successor guardianship for when I'm gone.

But it's not enough. That's why I wrote my book. Through an easy read,

fictionalized account of a mother's journey to establish a secure future for her

son, I hope I can start a buzz so that we all start talking about our children's

future. I didn't write it to become rich. I make like a dollar a book. I wrote

it so we can get everyone talking about the future. Because only together can we

figure it out. Please read the book. It's only $2.99.

>

> Herskowitz

> Author of the book, Always Leave Them Laughing

> https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/181423

>

Guest guest

Thank you for your insight. You are so right.

We spend all our time, energy and strength advocating and fighting for our loved ones from the moment we are told or realize they have disabilities.

Just keeping them safe and well is a full time job, not to mention all the medications, doctors appts, testing, etc. Getting them through school is a nightmare every single day and then boom...............all of a sudden we are getting older and they are adults who still have the problems they have had for many years ago except some have gotten better, and others worse. And what happens now ?

Alot of us do not have family members willing and able to take over our responsiblities,of the continued love, understanding and support they need. Most people I know do not have the big bucks for the safe wonderful communities that take care of their every need for life. There are no other options for safe affordable communities where they can live and be happy with support systems in place for life. God forbid they get a little part-time job - they can lose what little benefits and medical care they recieve. And of course when you have Texas as the most failed state in the nation for taking care of their disabled, our stress and anxieties are tremendous. Take a real eye opening tour of any of the subsidized apts or homes for our loved ones with disabilities. They are usually in the most run down and dangerous areas of the city with no security anywhere. And all the nice

decent neighborhood residents spend their time screaming "You can't build a home for those people where I live "

God bless all of us and our loved ones who travel down these roads. And many blessings to you and yours.

Subject: We need to talk about the future of our kidsTo: "indiadevelopmentaldisabilities@..." , "autismohio " <autismohio >, "texas-autism-advocacy " <texas-autism-advocacy >Cc: "DaytonUnitedAgainstAutism " <DaytonUnitedAgainstAutism >, "autism_challengers " <autism_challengers >Date: Saturday, July 14, 2012, 5:24 AM

> I know it's hard to talk about the future. I realize that we get up everyday and it's all we can do just to make it to the end of the day. And its scary as hell to think about being old or being dead especially when you have a child with disabilities. But we have to talk about the future. I have a 21 year old son. My "future" is already here. It seems just like yesterday that he was little and all I had to think about was what was there in the present. Before I turned around, he was an adult. I've done some things to prepare for the inevitable fact that one day I will not be there to care for him. I have a trust, life insurance, guardianship, successor guardianship for when I'm gone. But it's not enough. That's why I wrote my book. Through an easy read, fictionalized account of a mother's journey to establish a secure future for her son, I hope I can start a buzz so that we all start talking about our children's future. I didn't write it to

become rich. I make like a dollar a book. I wrote it so we can get everyone talking about the future. Because only together can we figure it out. Please read the book. It's only $2.99.> > Herskowitz> Author of the book, Always Leave Them Laughing> https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/181423>