RemedySpot.com

Re: swallowing pills woes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Crush up the pill or remove powder from capsule and mix with a little water or juice and give with a teaspoon.Sent from my iPad

i have been trying in vain to teach my son to swallow pills. he cant even swallow the tiny tiny cake decoration balls. he cheeks his water and somehow pushes whatever it is in his mouth to the front. we have been working with mini m & ms and he struggles and is so tense and i dont know what to do. he has always had major oral issues with food and tastes. i am following some procedures i learned in these groups and other websites. i am at a loss. he is 7 1/2 years old. i tried it with my nt 4 year old and he can do it with no problem at all even the first time. i work ft so i cant take him to a private program. anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone

At my son’s school, they discovered that he liked Smarties (the candy) and they would break them up and put them into the straw of his juice.  Then he would take his “pill†that way.  It worked great for us… SangerTwitter: @katherinesangerksanger@...http://katsanger.wordpress.com/http://www.examiner.com/family-and-parenting-in-houston/katherine-sangerhttp://katsanger.hubpages.com/http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/1180115/katherine_sanger.html " Education is not filling a bucket, but lighting a fire. " - Yeats From: Texas-Autism-Advocacy [mailto:Texas-Autism-Advocacy ] On Behalf Of Tommy ElliottSent: Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:51 PMTo: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Subject: Re: swallowing pills woes Crush up the pill or remove powder from capsule and mix with a little water or juice and give with a teaspoon.Sent from my iPad i have been trying in vain to teach my son to swallow pills. he cant even swallow the tiny tiny cake decoration balls. he cheeks his water and somehow pushes whatever it is in his mouth to the front. we have been working with mini m & ms and he struggles and is so tense and i dont know what to do. he has always had major oral issues with food and tastes. i am following some procedures i learned in these groups and other websites. i am at a loss. he is 7 1/2 years old. i tried it with my nt 4 year old and he can do it with no problem at all even the first time. i work ft so i cant take him to a private program. anyone have any suggestions?Sent from my iPhoneNo virus found in this message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.comVersion: 2012.0.2197 / Virus Database: 2437/5193 - Release Date: 08/11/12

This was difficult for our son as well. We started out by crushing them & sneaking them into apple sauce (1of his favorite foods). We then "graduated" him to swallowing with a gulp of apple juice or water. It took awhile but the persistence paid off. Careful as some medications & supplements are recommended swallowed whole & not crushed so be sure to read administration directions before-hand. Best of luck!Dolly

i have been trying in vain to teach my son to swallow pills. he cant even swallow the tiny tiny cake decoration balls. he cheeks his water and somehow pushes whatever it is in his mouth to the front. we have been working with mini m & ms and he struggles and is so tense and i dont know what to do. he has always had major oral issues with food and tastes. i am following some procedures i learned in these groups and other websites. i am at a loss. he is 7 1/2 years old. i tried it with my nt 4 year old and he can do it with no problem at all even the first time. i work ft so i cant take him to a private program. anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone

=

To Lorree,

My son still at age 15 will not swallow pills.

You can find most everything in liquid form.

Even chelation we did topical. Found a pharmacist

that would do compounding and made Stratera and many

other items we tried in liquid form. It is all sensory.

Many items come in powder form too.

Us parents and etc. will be glad to help.

Be your childs voice.

J. Isom

To: "Texas-Autism-Advocacy " <Texas-Autism-Advocacy > Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2012 3:12 PMSubject: Re: swallowing pills woes

This was difficult for our son as well. We started out by crushing them & sneaking them into apple sauce (1of his favorite foods). We then "graduated" him to swallowing with a gulp of apple juice or water. It took awhile but the persistence paid off. Careful as some medications & supplements are recommended swallowed whole & not crushed so be sure to read administration directions before-hand. Best of luck!Dolly

i have been trying in vain to teach my son to swallow pills. he cant even swallow the tiny tiny cake decoration balls. he cheeks his water and somehow pushes whatever it is in his mouth to the front. we have been working with mini m & ms and he struggles and is so tense and i dont know what to do. he has always had major oral issues with food and tastes. i am following some procedures i learned in these groups and other websites. i am at a loss. he is 7 1/2 years old. i tried it with my nt 4 year old and he can do it with no problem at all even the first time. i work ft so i cant take him to a private program. anyone have any suggestions?Sent from my iPhone=

Thank you for the suggestion but that wont work. The reason we are working on this is last week he had a bad infection and was prescribed antibiotics. it was a liquid and was the nastiest one ever. I tried everything to get him to take it and mixed it with everything and nothing worked. He would gag and throw up from the bad metallic bitter taste. so we talked about taking pills so he wouldn’t have to take the icky liquid. (we never did take the antibiotic and thankfully he is better without it afterall). so crushing and mixing is not an option. also he will taste a tiny tiny taste before he puts anything in his mouth so he would never put a whole teaspoon of something in his mouth and swallow it if it has the faintest taste he doesn’t like. he will spit it out. When he takes liquid tylenol it takes him about 6-8 drinks of water inbetween micro squirts of it in his mouth, this is only like 2 tsp total so you know how small an amount it is when it takes him 8 little squirts from the syringe to get it all down. Maybe I need to figure out a way to get him some sort of therapy for this and take time off work to do it cause it is bad now that I look at what I read. Sigh....?

Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:51 PM

To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy

Subject: Re: swallowing pills woes

Crush up the pill or remove powder from capsule and mix with a little water or juice and give with a teaspoon.Sent from my iPad

i have been trying in vain to teach my son to swallow pills. he cant even swallow the tiny tiny cake decoration balls. he cheeks his water and somehow pushes whatever it is in his mouth to the front. we have been working with mini m & ms and he struggles and is so tense and i dont know what to do. he has always had major oral issues with food and tastes. i am following some procedures i learned in these groups and other websites. i am at a loss. he is 7 1/2 years old. i tried it with my nt 4 year old and he can do it with no problem at all even the first time. i work ft so i cant take him to a private program. anyone have any suggestions?Sent from my iPhone

You are so right-- antibiotics are soooooo nasty. This is what we do: hide it

in a pb/j sandwich. Crush it to a powder and mix it into 1/2 teaspoon peanut

butter. I spread it on the bread and then put more peanut butter on top.

Thankfully, between the peanut butter and jelly, I'm able to hide the

antibiotic. My son is 10- I haven't tried teaching him to swallow pills in a

while...that would be wonderful...

>

>

>

> i have been trying in vain to teach my son to swallow pills. he cant even

swallow the tiny tiny cake decoration balls. he cheeks his water and somehow

pushes whatever it is in his mouth to the front. we have been working with mini

m & ms and he struggles and is so tense and i dont know what to do. he has always

had major oral issues with food and tastes. i am following some procedures i

learned in these groups and other websites. i am at a loss. he is 7 1/2 years

old. i tried it with my nt 4 year old and he can do it with no problem at all

even the first time. i work ft so i cant take him to a private program. anyone

have any suggestions?

>

> Sent from my iPhone

>

We bought empty capsules and my husband and I modeled and modeled.  Our son whined and cried and carried on for about two weeks, but we kept modeling and having him try.  then he got it.  Now he will swallow about four capsules at once.  He was motivated as we told him that if he learned to swallow capsules he wouldn't have to eat the mash (with all the supps mixed in).  He still does not like and has difficulty with tablets and caplets but has no problem with capsules  I try to find supps that are capsule form.  If I can't, I crush it up  and put the powder in a capsule.  

Haven