RemedySpot.com

was do you send your kid to camp, now mild, moderate, or severe autism

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi ,

I don’t know if there is a “real†definition of it.

The reason I consider my son moderate is this. When he was first diagnosed at 2 yrs 10 mos, they said he was PDD-NOS (several different examiners) and also said he was mild. So that was what i considered him. And considering that he was so mild (the school district LSSP said he might not even have autism, but a severe case of ADHD), I thought he would be fine in a few years. Isn’t that crazy?

Anyway, 3 years later the same school district LSSP had to test him again to continue eligibility for special ed. This time the report said “severely autisticâ€. That was a big blow after thinking he was “mild PDD-NOS†all those years.

So, I took him to a Neuropsychologist who did a much more comprehensive evaluation. She came back with a moderate autism diagnosis, which I actually agree with totally.

I suppose you could evaluate a child with the various autism rating scales, and see where they fall in the range for mild, moderate, or severe.

Marilyn

Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:20 PM

To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy

Cc: mailto:Texas-Autism-Advocacy

Subject: Re: Do you send your kid to camp?

I am just curious on what determines if a child is mild, moderate, or severe autism?