RemedySpot.com

Re: thyroid suppression & cardiac issues

Rate this topic

Guest guest

If you have cardiac issues, then a lesser degree of suppression is allowed. I have one thyca friend who keeps her TSH at 1.0. And yes, your doctor may wish to prescribe a beta blocker in order for you to tolerate the dose of thyroid that you may need.

I think the T3 only protocol is to be approached cautiously and as a last resort. Your cardiologist may be able to give you more information as to whether it may have damaged your heart.

My preference for dealing with RT3 is to reduce the T4 med and increase the T3 just slightly. Some folks have cleared their RT3 by switching from $ynthroid to Armour.

I would add that I have RT3 out the wazoo, but I never did well when reducing T4 or adding T3.

>> This was mentioned in a reply to a posting:> "The standard of care for thyroid cancer is TSH <0.1 permanently, unless> you have cardiac issues or other difficulty tolerating suppression."> > > I will be getting bloodwork results soon & will definitely be asking for help. I am at a loss ( & so are several docs) as to what is going on with my body. I've been seeing Dr. S & after going on T3 only to resolve reverse T3 issues 2-3 years ago, I haven't been the same. I seemed to be fine for a while after going off the T3 only & returning to Naturethroid, but suddenly I started having cardiac issues.> > I was on 3 grains of Naturethroid plus addt'l 12.5mcg of T3 here & there. Suddenly due to these cardiac issues (racing pulse, high BP out of nowhere) I had to cut down to 1/4 of a single Naturethroid to try to make it all stop. I was then severely hypothyroid (TSH of 55) & have slowly worked back up to 1 grain of Naturethroid.> > If I add in any addt'l T3 or even a desiccated adrenal tablet, my BP & heart rate soars - which I have to say is a terrifying experience. The ER has written me off twice with anxiety meds upon release. My cardiologist, after numerous tests & heart monitors, reports that everything seems fine.> > It will be interesting to see what my thyroid levels are at on this 1 grain of Naturethroid. Will report soon.> > In the meantime, the above statement caught my eye. How DO you suppress the thyroid if you have cardiac issues? Both Dr. S & the cardiologist have said a Beta Blocker might be necessary to get me back to a dose of thyroid where I'm properly medicated?> > How did this happen? Did the T3 only regimen possibly do some kind of damage to my heart??> > Feeling frustrated, hopeless & terrified.... with depression creeping in.> Grateful to this Group,> >

I found myself going hypo on reduced amounts of T4. I also developed wound healing problems. So, I insisted on going back to the combination where I had felt well for years: 300 mg of thyroid plus about 35 mcg of synthetic T4. This puts my Free T3 at the very top of its range and my Free T4 at about 60%.

It is my observation that the folks who do well on the T3-only protocol are those who feel really well once they have gotten off of all T4.

As with all else, what you may need is highly individual.

> > >> > > This was mentioned in a reply to a posting:> > > "The standard of care for thyroid cancer is TSH <0.1 permanently, unless> > > you have cardiac issues or other difficulty tolerating suppression."> > >> > >> > > I will be getting bloodwork results soon & will definitely be asking for> > help. I am at a loss ( & so are several docs) as to what is going on with> > my body. I've been seeing Dr. S & after going on T3 only to resolve> > reverse T3 issues 2-3 years ago, I haven't been the same. I seemed to be> > fine for a while after going off the T3 only & returning to Naturethroid,> > but suddenly I started having cardiac issues.> > >> > > I was on 3 grains of Naturethroid plus addt'l 12.5mcg of T3 here & > > there. Suddenly due to these cardiac issues (racing pulse, high BP out of> > nowhere) I had to cut down to 1/4 of a single Naturethroid to try to make> > it all stop. I was then severely hypothyroid (TSH of 55) & have slowly> > worked back up to 1 grain of Naturethroid.> > >> > > If I add in any addt'l T3 or even a desiccated adrenal tablet, my BP & > > heart rate soars - which I have to say is a terrifying experience. The ER> > has written me off twice with anxiety meds upon release. My cardiologist,> > after numerous tests & heart monitors, reports that everything seems fine.> > >> > > It will be interesting to see what my thyroid levels are at on this 1> > grain of Naturethroid. Will report soon.> > >> > > In the meantime, the above statement caught my eye. How DO you suppress> > the thyroid if you have cardiac issues? Both Dr. S & the cardiologist have> > said a Beta Blocker might be necessary to get me back to a dose of thyroid> > where I'm properly medicated?> > >> > > How did this happen? Did the T3 only regimen possibly do some kind of> > damage to my heart??> > >> > > Feeling frustrated, hopeless & terrified.... with depression creeping in.> > > Grateful to this Group,> > > > > >> >> > > >>

It took me four years to get to that dose.I started at 180 mg of Armour plus 75 mcg of synthetic T4 and increased slowly.

> > > > >> > > > > This was mentioned in a reply to a posting:> > > > > "The standard of care for thyroid cancer is TSH <0.1 permanently,> > unless> > > > > you have cardiac issues or other difficulty tolerating suppression."> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > I will be getting bloodwork results soon & will definitely be asking> > for> > > > help. I am at a loss ( & so are several docs) as to what is going on> > with> > > > my body. I've been seeing Dr. S & after going on T3 only to resolve> > > > reverse T3 issues 2-3 years ago, I haven't been the same. I seemed to> > be> > > > fine for a while after going off the T3 only & returning to> > Naturethroid,> > > > but suddenly I started having cardiac issues.> > > > >> > > > > I was on 3 grains of Naturethroid plus addt'l 12.5mcg of T3 here & > > > > there. Suddenly due to these cardiac issues (racing pulse, high BP out> > of> > > > nowhere) I had to cut down to 1/4 of a single Naturethroid to try to> > make> > > > it all stop. I was then severely hypothyroid (TSH of 55) & have slowly> > > > worked back up to 1 grain of Naturethroid.> > > > >> > > > > If I add in any addt'l T3 or even a desiccated adrenal tablet, my BP> > & > > > > heart rate soars - which I have to say is a terrifying experience. The> > ER> > > > has written me off twice with anxiety meds upon release. My> > cardiologist,> > > > after numerous tests & heart monitors, reports that everything seems> > fine.> > > > >> > > > > It will be interesting to see what my thyroid levels are at on this 1> > > > grain of Naturethroid. Will report soon.> > > > >> > > > > In the meantime, the above statement caught my eye. How DO you> > suppress> > > > the thyroid if you have cardiac issues? Both Dr. S & the cardiologist> > have> > > > said a Beta Blocker might be necessary to get me back to a dose of> > thyroid> > > > where I'm properly medicated?> > > > >> > > > > How did this happen? Did the T3 only regimen possibly do some kind of> > > > damage to my heart??> > > > >> > > > > Feeling frustrated, hopeless & terrified.... with depression> > creeping in.> > > > > Grateful to this Group,> > > > > > > > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> >> > > >>

It all depends on how well you convert T4 to T3. Since you were on a protocol to clear the RT3, I doubt that you convert very well.

I concur with the advice to add T4 rather than increasing the NT. You might even want to reduce the NT when adding some T4.

> >>> > > >> >>> > > > This was mentioned in a reply to a posting:> >>> > > > "The standard of care for thyroid cancer is TSH <0.1 permanently,> >>> unless> >>> > > > you have cardiac issues or other difficulty tolerating> >>> suppression."> >>> > > >> >>> > > >> >>> > > > I will be getting bloodwork results soon & will definitely be> >>> asking for> >>> > > help. I am at a loss ( & so are several docs) as to what is going on> >>> with> >>> > > my body. I've been seeing Dr. S & after going on T3 only to resolve> >>> > > reverse T3 issues 2-3 years ago, I haven't been the same. I seemed> >>> to be> >>> > > fine for a while after going off the T3 only & returning to> >>> Naturethroid,> >>> > > but suddenly I started having cardiac issues.> >>> > > >> >>> > > > I was on 3 grains of Naturethroid plus addt'l 12.5mcg of T3 here & > >>> > > there. Suddenly due to these cardiac issues (racing pulse, high BP> >>> out of> >>> > > nowhere) I had to cut down to 1/4 of a single Naturethroid to try to> >>> make> >>> > > it all stop. I was then severely hypothyroid (TSH of 55) & have> >>> slowly> >>> > > worked back up to 1 grain of Naturethroid.> >>> > > >> >>> > > > If I add in any addt'l T3 or even a desiccated adrenal tablet, my> >>> BP & > >>> > > heart rate soars - which I have to say is a terrifying experience.> >>> The ER> >>> > > has written me off twice with anxiety meds upon release. My> >>> cardiologist,> >>> > > after numerous tests & heart monitors, reports that everything seems> >>> fine.> >>> > > >> >>> > > > It will be interesting to see what my thyroid levels are at on> >>> this 1> >>> > > grain of Naturethroid. Will report soon.> >>> > > >> >>> > > > In the meantime, the above statement caught my eye. How DO you> >>> suppress> >>> > > the thyroid if you have cardiac issues? Both Dr. S & the> >>> cardiologist have> >>> > > said a Beta Blocker might be necessary to get me back to a dose of> >>> thyroid> >>> > > where I'm properly medicated?> >>> > > >> >>> > > > How did this happen? Did the T3 only regimen possibly do some kind> >>> of> >>> > > damage to my heart??> >>> > > >> >>> > > > Feeling frustrated, hopeless & terrified.... with depression> >>> creeping in.> >>> > > > Grateful to this Group,> >>> > > >