RemedySpot.com

Re: what kind of speech eval for this...?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

thanks michael. I see you are an slp. would you be such a therapist to provide these therapies?Sent from my iPhone

Hi Lorree,It sounds like your son has more of a word-finding, or phrase formulation problem, rather than a stutter. This may be caused by word finding difficulty, or apraxia, often called CAS or childhood apraxia of speech. CAS in my opinion has its foundation in oral sensory and motor deficits.From what you describe about your son's articulation, it sound as if your son has compensated for poor motility and strength of his articulators by utilizing his teeth. He may also have some deficit of his inter oral sensory system. If your son has sensory deficits in the rest of his body, well, his mouth is part of his body. Usually, motor problems have a sensory component. When seeking a

Speech Pathologist to work with your son, proficiency in oral motor intervention, in my opinion, is definitely a must. A good oral motor program will develop oral sensory and oral motor abilities. Their are a number of speech therapists in our area who are certified in Beckman Oral Motor, which, if followed consistently will improve your son's oral sensory system, range of motion and strength. There are also a number of other possible continuing education focuses, Rosenfeld-, is one. Basically, you need to speak to the therapist and find out their take on oral motor, if you agree with it and feel they can educate you to help your son, that would be your therapist :-) In conclusion, you would want a therapist with a background in CAS and oral motor. A good therapist with understanding of these areas should be able to help your son overcome his articulation

and speech formulation difficulties.I hope this helps! G. Pearson, M.S., CCC-SLPSpeech Language PathologistKids Developmental Clinic To: KatyAutismSupport ; Texas-Autism-Advocacy Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 11:48 AM Subject: what kind of speech

eval for this...?

My son stammers, not really like stuttering, quite a bit when he talks. like he cant get the words out but knows what he wants to say. like his brain is working faster than his mouth. he also barely moves or uses his lips when talking to form words. its like he is using his top two teeth instead of his lips. i am worried he will start getting teased because of how he talks.

what do i need to ask for when looking for a speech therapist to address this? i know he will need oral motor exercises but what else?

any recs in the houston area for this? i am in the pearland area.

thanks

Sent from my iPhone