RemedySpot.com

Re: What's A Person To Do?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Tom, what else have you tried? To: miralax Sent: Mon, April 16, 2012 9:28:19 PMSubject: What's A Person To Do?

What's a person to do if while being aware of the possible pitfalls of Miralax, the fact might remain that perhaps Miralax might be the only thing that does the job?

Staying plugged up is NOT an option.

Tom

Guest guest

Bonnie, we just learned that aspartame will cause insomnia along with Nutra-sweet and all those diet type artificial sweetners although, the insomnia with PEG is suppose to be caused by it affecting the nervous system, per my doc, which he says is a clear indication that it's being absorbed. (neuro type behavior) To: miralax Sent: Mon, April 16, 2012 10:29:09 PMSubject: RE: What's A Person To Do?

We reached this point also. Bear in mind that Miralax is available over the counter and is often prescribed for only occasional constipation, so many people on this list (I think) are dealing with more minor constipation that CAN be dealt with in all sorts of other ways. But some children, like my daughter, have very severe chronic constipation that can't be explained by doctors. (The closest we came to an explanation is that she's double-jointed and double-jointed kids are more prone to constipation--that, and we suspect vaccines played a role.) We are coping with Miralax right now because it does seem like there isn't any other option--for now. And just watching and monitoring for potential side effects (like insomnia, which we have noticed). What else can you do? All drugs have side effects and it's true for all drugs that they aren't worth taking except as a last resort. But for us we are at the last resort stage.

Bonnie-----Original Message-----From: gronk73@...Sent: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 02:28:15 -0000To: miralax Subject: What's A Person To Do?

What's a person to do if while being aware of the possible pitfalls of Miralax, the fact might remain that perhaps Miralax might be the only thing that does the job?

Tom

Free Online Photosharing - Share your photos online with your friends and family!

Visit http://www.inbox.com/photosharing to find out more!

Guest guest

Tom, we as humans think of a side effect as an annoyance that will go away like a headache. This being a string of Ethylene glycol is what bothers me, as when dealing with a toxic chemcial like EG, the simple side effect could be permanent b/c of the chemical make up. To: miralax Sent: Mon, April 16, 2012 9:28:19 PMSubject: What's A Person To Do?

Tom

Guest guest

One of the best things 'veI ever read about 'side' effects is that industry coined the term to make them seem like little side occurances that may happen as the drug is doing its 'main' job - the drug doesn't know which effects its manufacturer is marketing as the 'main' effects and which are the 'side' effects - it just goes to work and has this collection of actions on the body. The 'main' effects are those the manufacturer has chosen to market for their ability to do a particular job, say help with constipation, but you get the whole package when you take the drug. We are conditioned to separate the two in this way and it makes us disregard side effects altogether.

Tom, we as humans think of a side effect as an annoyance that will go away like a headache. This being a string of Ethylene glycol is what bothers me, as when dealing with a toxic chemcial like EG, the simple side effect could be permanent b/c of the chemical make up.

To: miralax Sent: Mon, April 16, 2012 9:28:19 PMSubject: What's A Person To Do?

What's a person to do if while being aware of the possible pitfalls of Miralax, the fact might remain that perhaps Miralax might be the only thing that does the job?Staying plugged up is NOT an option.Tom

Guest guest

Hi Jeanie,Thanks, that's good to know. I don't think we have any products in our house with aspartame in them (I avoid it for all sorts of reasons) but I will doublecheck for possible hidden sources of it. You never know where it will pop up...Bonnie

RE: What's A Person To Do?

We reached this point also. Bear in mind that Miralax is available over the counter and is often prescribed for only occasional constipation, so many people on this list (I think) are dealing with more minor constipation that CAN be dealt with in all sorts of other ways. But some children, like my daughter, have very severe chronic constipation that can't be explained by doctors. (The closest we came to an explanation is that she's double-jointed and double-jointed kids are more prone to constipation--that, and we suspect vaccines played a role.) We are coping with Miralax right now because it does seem like there isn't any other option--for now. And just watching and monitoring for potential side effects (like insomnia, which we have noticed). What else can you do? All drugs have side effects and it's true for all drugs that they aren't worth taking except as a last resort. But for us we are at the last resort stage.

Bonnie-----Original Message-----From: gronk73@...Sent: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 02:28:15 -0000To: miralax Subject: What's A Person To Do?

Tom

Free Online Photosharing - Share your photos online with your friends and family!

Visit http://www.inbox.com/photosharing to find out more!

Free 3D Marine Aquarium Screensaver

Watch dolphins, sharks & orcas on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/marineaquarium

Guest guest

I agree with this and that's why I view Miralax as an absolute last resort. But this reminds me of something else--Miralax is a strange drug in that it becomes MORE dangerous when you take too little of it than when you take more of it. I know that sounds odd but this is why: when you take just a little, it isn't enough for a cleanout and it gets stuck behind an impaction and sits there long enough for the body to a) absorb some of it and B) break it down potentially into ethylene glycol. (This is just my theory by the way but I ran it past my GI doctor and he thought it was sound.) But when you take more of it, enough to really clean everything out, it is less dangerous because it passes through the digestive tract faster and there is less of an opportunity for absorbing it and less time for the body to break it down at the molecular level and form ethylene glycol. If you use this drug, BE CAREFUL with it. We are using it but I do find it scary. Bear in mind also that doctors are starting to use PEG (Miralax) to help carry drugs through the blood-brain barrier. Of course in those cases they are injecting it but...think about the fact that PEG is good at getting stuff through the blood-brain barrier. What might it usher through that would otherwise get filtered out and excreted by the body? To me this is another reason to be very aggressive about keeping the colon clear so you don't end up with toxic sludge sitting in there getting absorbed.

Also bear in mind that sometimes Miralax isn't enough to clear all the impactions if they are long-standing. My daughter had so much stool in her colon that even though we put her in the hospital and she had a 24-hour drip of Miralax through a nose tube into her intestines to clean her out for a colonoscopy, the doctor later told me that she could have done that for days and never cleaned out what was in there--she had a football-sized impaction, he said, and they had to clean it out manually while she was under anesthesia (had to cancel the colonoscopy for the time being). Finally, another thought: to reduce the overall level of exposure to drugs that can stress the body in various ways, I think it's wise to stick to an otherwise all natural diet while taking a drug like Miralax. But that again is just my theory. I feel like, let's just stick to the one drug that she was prescribed and not add to the chemical cocktail with food preservatives, artificial sweeteners, and the like. Though I can't screen out all food additives because she goes to school, spends time with relatives, etc. Anyway, just my thoughts--when you make a decision like this, you have to really think through all the angles.Bonnie What's A Person To Do?

Tom

Free 3D Earth Screensaver

Watch the Earth right on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/earth

Guest guest

Please keep in mind....large doses are pure poison to our childrens systems. My son was sent home with a prescription of 17 capfulls of Miralax and he ended up in the ICU.

Steph

I agree with this and that's why I view Miralax as an absolute last resort. But this reminds me of something else--Miralax is a strange drug in that it becomes MORE dangerous when you take too little of it than when you take more of it. I know that sounds odd but this is why: when you take just a little, it isn't enough for a cleanout and it gets stuck behind an impaction and sits there long enough for the body to a) absorb some of it and B) break it down potentially into ethylene glycol. (This is just my theory by the way but I ran it past my GI doctor and he thought it was sound.) But when you take more of it, enough to really clean everything out, it is less dangerous because it passes through the digestive tract faster and there is less of an opportunity for absorbing it and less time for the body to break it down at the molecular level and form ethylene glycol.

If you use this drug, BE CAREFUL with it. We are using it but I do find it scary. Bear in mind also that doctors are starting to use PEG (Miralax) to help carry drugs through the blood-brain barrier. Of course in those cases they are injecting it but...think about the fact that PEG is good at getting stuff through the blood-brain barrier. What might it usher through that would otherwise get filtered out and excreted by the body? To me this is another reason to be very aggressive about keeping the colon clear so you don't end up with toxic sludge sitting in there getting absorbed.

Also bear in mind that sometimes Miralax isn't enough to clear all the impactions if they are long-standing. My daughter had so much stool in her colon that even though we put her in the hospital and she had a 24-hour drip of Miralax through a nose tube into her intestines to clean her out for a colonoscopy, the doctor later told me that she could have done that for days and never cleaned out what was in there--she had a football-sized impaction, he said, and they had to clean it out manually while she was under anesthesia (had to cancel the colonoscopy for the time being).

Finally, another thought: to reduce the overall level of exposure to drugs that can stress the body in various ways, I think it's wise to stick to an otherwise all natural diet while taking a drug like Miralax. But that again is just my theory. I feel like, let's just stick to the one drug that she was prescribed and not add to the chemical cocktail with food preservatives, artificial sweeteners, and the like. Though I can't screen out all food additives because she goes to school, spends time with relatives, etc.

Anyway, just my thoughts--when you make a decision like this, you have to really think through all the angles.Bonnie  What's A Person To Do?

Tom

Guest guest

Bonnie,

Thanks so much for sharing your story. What else helps with impaction? It seems like yoga or different exercises could help children who don't have the motility to move things through on their own. I remember pushing the girls knees to their stomachs in a circular motion when they were babies to remove gas. Are there GI exercises like that for kids? Carol

I agree with this and that's why I view Miralax as an absolute last resort. But this reminds me of something else--Miralax is a strange drug in that it becomes MORE dangerous when you take too little of it than when you take more of it. I know that sounds odd but this is why: when you take just a little, it isn't enough for a cleanout and it gets stuck behind an impaction and sits there long enough for the body to a) absorb some of it and B) break it down potentially into ethylene glycol. (This is just my theory by the way but I ran it past my GI doctor and he thought it was sound.) But when you take more of it, enough to really clean everything out, it is less dangerous because it passes through the digestive tract faster and there is less of an opportunity for absorbing it and less time for the body to break it down at the molecular level and form ethylene glycol. If you use this drug, BE CAREFUL with it. We are using it but I do find it scary. Bear in mind also tha t doctors are starting to use PEG (Miralax) to help carry drugs through the blood-brain barrier. Of course in those cases they are injecting it but...think about the fact that PEG is good at getting stuff through the blood-brain barrier. What might it usher through that would otherwise get filtered out and excreted by the body? To me this is another reason to be very aggressive about keeping the colon clear so you don't end up with toxic sludge sitting in there getting absorbed.

Also bear in mind that sometimes Miralax isn't enough to clear all the impactions if they are long-standing. My daughter had so much stool in her colon that even though we put her in the hospital and she had a 24-hour drip of Miralax through a nose tube into her intestines to clean her out for a colonoscopy, the doctor later told me that she could have done that for days and never cleaned out what was in there--she had a football-sized impaction, he said, and they had to clean it out manually while she was under anesthesia (had to cancel the colonoscopy for the time being). Finally, another thought: to reduce the overall level of exposure to drugs that can stress the body in various ways, I think it's wise to stick to an otherwise all natural diet while taking a drug like Miralax. But that again is just my theory. I feel like, let's just stick to the one drug that she was prescribed and not add to the chemical cocktail with food preservatives, artificial swee teners, and the like. Though I can't screen out all food additives because she goes to school, spends time with relatives, etc. Anyway, just my thoughts--when you make a decision like this, you have to really think through all the angles.Bonnie

What's A Person To Do?

What's a person to do if while being aware of the possible pitfalls of Miralax, the fact might remain that perhaps Miralax might be the only thing that does the job?Staying plugged up is NOT an option.Tom

Free 3D Earth ScreensaverWatch the Earth right on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/earth

Guest guest

17 capfuls? Is that a typo??? I'm talking about four teaspoons. Bonnie

What's A Person To Do?

Tom

Watch dolphins, sharks & orcas on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/marineaquarium

Guest guest

There's wind-relieving pose in yoga, which does help with release of gas. Does nothing for constipation as far as I can tell! But if gas is making its way through, then that's a good sign, as far as it goes. Yoga twisting poses are supposed to be helpful. Roll-ups where you roll like a ball are also supposed to help with abdominal muscle tone, but please. Massage of the ileosecal valve can help. But if there's an impaction it has to be softened up somehow too. Bonnie

What's A Person To Do?

Free 3D Earth ScreensaverWatch the Earth right on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/earth

Get Free Smileys for Your IM & Email - Learn more at www.crawler.com/smileys

Works with AIM®, MSN® Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, ICQ®, Google Talk™ and most webmails

Guest guest

Here I am responding to my own post. I have been reading about something called

lactulose. It appears to be a safe alternative to Miralax. Does anyone have

any experience with this product?

It's a prescription item in the US but not for those who live in Canada.

Tom

>

> What's a person to do if while being aware of the possible pitfalls of

Miralax, the fact might remain that perhaps Miralax might be the only thing that

does the job?

>

> Staying plugged up is NOT an option.

>

> Tom

>

Guest guest

No...17 cap fulls is not a typo...the nurse practitioner heading up the constipation clinic specified it in 3 differant letters to doctors. My 9 year old son almost didn't survive.

Steph

17 capfuls? Is that a typo??? I'm talking about four teaspoons. Bonnie

What's A Person To Do?

Tom

Guest guest

That's terrible. I'm very sorry to hear it. How is your son doing now? Bonnie What's A Person To Do?

Tom

Guest guest

After a year of recooping... he is now back on top of things. He has no colon...but that isn't slowing him down:-)

That's terrible. I'm very sorry to hear it. How is your son doing now? Bonnie What's A Person To Do?

Tom

-- Steph Bradshaw

Prudential Nw Realty

Nw Rent To Own Homes LLC.

www.MyWashingtonHomeSearch.com

www.RentToOwnHomesNw.com

Cell Fax

Guest guest

17 capfuls over how much time? A week? Two weeks? Not 17 capfuls in a day?

> >

> > **

> >

> >

> > ** I agree with this and that's why I view Miralax as an absolute last

> > resort. But this reminds me of something else--Miralax is a strange drug in

> > that it becomes MORE dangerous when you take too little of it than when you

> > take more of it. I know that sounds odd but this is why: when you take just

> > a little, it isn't enough for a cleanout and it gets stuck behind an

> > impaction and sits there long enough for the body to a) absorb some of it

> > and B) break it down potentially into ethylene glycol. (This is just my

> > theory by the way but I ran it past my GI doctor and he thought it was

> > sound.) But when you take more of it, enough to really clean everything

> > out, it is less dangerous because it passes through the digestive tract

> > faster and there is less of an opportunity for absorbing it and less time

> > for the body to break it down at the molecular level and form ethylene

> > glycol.

> >

> > If you use this drug, BE CAREFUL with it. We are using it but I do find it

> > scary. Bear in mind also that doctors are starting to use PEG (Miralax) to

> > help carry drugs through the blood-brain barrier. Of course in those cases

> > they are injecting it but...think about the fact that PEG is good at

> > getting stuff through the blood-brain barrier. What might it usher through

> > that would otherwise get filtered out and excreted by the body? To me this

> > is another reason to be very aggressive about keeping the colon clear so

> > you don't end up with toxic sludge sitting in there getting absorbed.

> >

> > Also bear in mind that sometimes Miralax isn't enough to clear all the

> > impactions if they are long-standing. My daughter had so much stool in her

> > colon that even though we put her in the hospital and she had a 24-hour

> > drip of Miralax through a nose tube into her intestines to clean her out

> > for a colonoscopy, the doctor later told me that she could have done that

> > for days and never cleaned out what was in there--she had a football-sized

> > impaction, he said, and they had to clean it out manually while she was

> > under anesthesia (had to cancel the colonoscopy for the time being).

> >

> > Finally, another thought: to reduce the overall level of exposure to drugs

> > that can stress the body in various ways, I think it's wise to stick to an

> > otherwise all natural diet while taking a drug like Miralax. But that again

> > is just my theory. I feel like, let's just stick to the one drug that she

> > was prescribed and not add to the chemical cocktail with food

> > preservatives, artificial sweeteners, and the like. Though I can't screen

> > out all food additives because she goes to school, spends time with

> > relatives, etc.

> >

> > Anyway, just my thoughts--when you make a decision like this, you have to

> > really think through all the angles.

> >

> > Bonnie

> >

> >

> > * What's A Person To Do?

> >

> >

> >

> > What's a person to do if while being aware of the possible pitfalls of

> > Miralax, the fact might remain that perhaps Miralax might be the only thing

> > that does the job?

> >

> > Staying plugged up is NOT an option.

> >

> > Tom

> >

> > ------------------------------

> > [image: 3D Earth Screensaver Preview] <http://www.inbox.com/earth>

> > *Free 3D Earth Screensaver*

> > **Watch the Earth right on your desktop!** **Check it out at

> > www.inbox.com/earth**

> >

> > ------------------------------

> > [image: 3D Marine Aquarium Screensaver

Preview]<http://www.inbox.com/marineaquarium>