RemedySpot.com

RE: So Many Questions!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi, LarissaSorry about your two kids suffering with this. If you have good insurance, I would start with a naturopath. My daughter's naturopath is doing a huge allergy panel to see if she's allergic or intolerant to something that might contribute. My daughter was also given a probiotic powder from the naturopath and put on liquid magnesium. Also fish oil. I checked out a book from my library on probiotics. I would suggest reading about them. It tells you what probiotics are for what. Read anything on digestive health. I reserved another book from my library from Dr. Gershon. He's a neurobiologist from Columbia University. His book is called The Second Brain. It's about digestion and overall health. I'm amazed at the link between digestion and everything else in the body. Just read whatever you can and look at food allergies.

Another good book is "Is This Your Child" by Doris Rapp. It's about unrecognized allergies in children and adults. Good Luck!CharithSubject: So Many Questions!To: miralax Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 5:46 PM

Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I can

talk them out with you all! First of all, I have suffered with

chronic constipation my whole life, I have very little motility and

the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different GI

double blind studies and neither drug helped me.

My 3, almost 4, year old daughter has had constipation since she

started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool, Xrays

showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and would

blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI and Ped put her on Krystalose and

then Miralax. The Miralax helped, but I now know that this was the

cause of her DRASTIC behavior change. She never ever sleeps among

other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of Miralax

for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she was

on it, but still noticeable. We've found that some fruit in large

quantities (and I'm talking a whole cantaloupe or several pearsa

day)keep her stool soft.

My 5 month old son could barely poop on his own since birth. He

passed meconium fine, but then would go weeks between BMs and would

only have one when we helped with a suppository. He is 100%

breastfed, too. We started him on a LITTLE bit of food, just the P

fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had to

do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see! All of the doctors

he has seen have told us that its normal, and he'll even out when he

starts solid. I know this is not true. We've moved onto babylax

enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just breastfeed.

Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's chewable

probiotics. It is SO expensive and everyone here needs to take

probiotics I think, is there any other options? What about for an

infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't see

the severity of constipation! They have no idea! It doesn't help

that my husband, his mom, and his stepdad are all doctors and think

Miralax is as harmless as water. Please help!

Larissa

I have no idea when it comes to a five month old. My son is 11 and he has had severe constipation issues since about age 2. I feel so guilty, he has had constipation issues so long it has stretched his colon. He now does not have the urge to go until he is about 5 or 6 times more full than the average person, so he needs bulk, I give him benefiber 1 tsp 3x daily. I liked the way mineral oil worked (it makes it soft) and I used it on him for about a month, could cause harm, I was turned on to olive oil instead. I give him 1-2 teaspoons at night before bedtime. I also chop fresh garlic and give it to him about every 2-3 days. I make sure he drinks lots of water daily and also lots of watery foods, and yes a whole cantelope or a couple of cucumbers etc...Now, starting last night, I put him on 2 tsp flaxseed in one danactive yogurt. He was backed up because I backed of the routine during the holidays...WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!

Anyway he went this morning, it had been about 5 or 6 days. As long as I stay with the routine, he generally goes every other day...I'm working towards every day but we are just not quite there yet. According to the docs, if we don't get his colon to shrink back down to size, it will be permanent, if it is not already. Doc says he is right at the age to loose elasticity in his colon. I have to make sure his poop does not get hard, that is why I give him the olive oil. I have been told that some kids have to take it with every meal. Cody does fine with just once a day. I worry about malabsorbtion with too much oil. I am really sorry to hear about the baby having trouble, I'm not sure what is safe and what is not for a baby. I know these days the pedi docs are not pushing water, maybe that will help if he will drink it, other than that, I have no idea. I'm sure there is someone else on this

group who can help you with that. Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08), Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).

To: miralax Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:46:18 PMSubject: So Many Questions!

Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I can talk them out with you all! First of all, I have suffered with chronic constipation my whole life, I have very little motility and the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different GI double blind studies and neither drug helped me. My 3, almost 4, year old daughter has had constipation since she started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool, Xrays showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and would blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI and Ped put her on Krystalose and then Miralax. The Miralax helped, but I now know that this was the cause of her DRASTIC behavior change. She never ever sleeps among other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of Miralax for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she was on it, but still noticeable. We've found that

some fruit in large quantities (and I'm talking a whole cantaloupe or several pearsa day)keep her stool soft. My 5 month old son could barely poop on his own since birth. He passed meconium fine, but then would go weeks between BMs and would only have one when we helped with a suppository. He is 100% breastfed, too. We started him on a LITTLE bit of food, just the P fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had to do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see! All of the doctors he has seen have told us that its normal, and he'll even out when he starts solid. I know this is not true. We've moved onto babylax enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just breastfeed. Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's chewable probiotics. It is SO expensive and everyone here needs to take probiotics I think, is there any other options? What about for

an infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't see the severity of constipation! They have no idea! It doesn't help that my husband, his mom, and his stepdad are all doctors and think Miralax is as harmless as water. Please help!Larissa

Larissa,

when a child is that little they used to give Karyo syrup in their bottle, the sugar helps keep it soft......................doing enemas is needed sometimes but it can be a double edge sword...........they will inturn hold it all the more, because they know you are forcing them to do so.................the make MOM chewables, milk of magnesia, kid calm, even ex-lax chocoalte squares for a stool softener, you need to know what you're using, a stool softener or laxative, read the labels. Lactulose is given to children which is made from a milk sugar but Karyo syrup would be the most natural. It's worth a try...............lots of water, make it fun! Kirkman chewable probiotic comes with xylitol, which works like a laxative and works great...............

Jeanie

Subject: So Many Questions!To: miralax Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 7:46 PM

Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I can talk them out with you all! First of all, I have suffered with chronic constipation my whole life, I have very little motility and the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different GI double blind studies and neither drug helped me. My 3, almost 4, year old daughter has had constipation since she started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool, Xrays showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and would blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI and Ped put her on Krystalose and then Miralax. The Miralax helped, but I now know that this was the cause of her DRASTIC behavior change. She never ever sleeps among other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of Miralax for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she was on it, but still noticeable. We've found that

some fruit in large quantities (and I'm talking a whole cantaloupe or several pearsa day)keep her stool soft. My 5 month old son could barely poop on his own since birth. He passed meconium fine, but then would go weeks between BMs and would only have one when we helped with a suppository. He is 100% breastfed, too. We started him on a LITTLE bit of food, just the P fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had to do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see! All of the doctors he has seen have told us that its normal, and he'll even out when he starts solid. I know this is not true. We've moved onto babylax enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just breastfeed. Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's chewable probiotics. It is SO expensive and everyone here needs to take probiotics I think, is there any other options? What about for

an infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't see the severity of constipation! They have no idea! It doesn't help that my husband, his mom, and his stepdad are all doctors and think Miralax is as harmless as water. Please help!Larissa

gut check

http://enzymeuniversity.com/artman/publish/article_138.shtml---

Subject: Re: So Many Questions!To: miralax Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 8:20 PM

Hi, LarissaSorry about your two kids suffering with this. If you have good insurance, I would start with a naturopath. My daughter's naturopath is doing a huge allergy panel to see if she's allergic or intolerant to something that might contribute. My daughter was also given a probiotic powder from the naturopath and put on liquid magnesium. Also fish oil. I checked out a book from my library on probiotics. I would suggest reading about them. It tells you what probiotics are for what. Read anything on digestive health. I reserved another book from my library from Dr. Gershon. He's a neurobiologist from Columbia University. His book is called The Second Brain. It's about digestion and overall health. I'm amazed at the link between digestion and everything else in the body. Just read whatever you can and look at food allergies. Another good book is "Is This Your Child" by Doris Rapp. It's about unrecognized

allergies in children and adults. Good Luck!Charith

From: larissaandlana <larissabrady@ gmail.com>Subject: So Many Questions!To: miralax@yahoogroups .comDate: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 5:46 PM

Does anyone have any chronically constipated kids who are also nut allergic? My 9 year old son is severely nut allergic and the holistic doctor we went to didn't seem able to handle it. He even wrote a diet for my son that included nuts and banned gluten even though he is not at all allergic to gluten. I have been afraid to use any supplement he suggested due to his inability to safely manage a nut allergic kid. This doctor's saliva test also showed no nut allergy when all other allergy tests and anaphylaxis episodes show otherwise. So if anyone knows of safe fiber and digestive supplements for constipated nut allergic kids, I'd be grateful!Kim Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: deanna gentry Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:29:50 -0800 (PST)To: <miralax >Subject: Re: So Many Questions! I have no idea when it comes to a five month old. My son is 11 and he has had severe constipation issues since about age 2. I feel so guilty, he has had constipation issues so long it has stretched his colon. He now does not have the urge to go until he is about 5 or 6 times more full than the average person, so he needs bulk, I give him benefiber 1 tsp 3x daily. I liked the way mineral oil worked (it makes it soft) and I used it on him for about a month, could cause harm, I was turned on to olive oil instead. I give him 1-2 teaspoons at night before bedtime. I also chop fresh garlic and give it to him about every 2-3 days. I make sure he drinks lots of water daily and also lots of watery foods, and yes a whole cantelope or a couple of cucumbers etc...Now, starting last night, I put him on 2 tsp flaxseed in one danactive yogurt. He was backed up because I backed of the routine during the holidays...WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?! Anyway he went this morning, it had been about 5 or 6 days. As long as I stay with the routine, he generally goes every other day...I'm working towards every day but we are just not quite there yet. According to the docs, if we don't get his colon to shrink back down to size, it will be permanent, if it is not already. Doc says he is right at the age to loose elasticity in his colon. I have to make sure his poop does not get hard, that is why I give him the olive oil. I have been told that some kids have to take it with every meal. Cody does fine with just once a day. I worry about malabsorbtion with too much oil. I am really sorry to hear about the baby having trouble, I'm not sure what is safe and what is not for a baby. I know these days the pedi docs are not pushing water, maybe that will help if he will drink it, other than that, I have no idea. I'm sure there is someone else on this group who can help you with that. Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08), Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).From: larissaandlana <larissabradygmail>To: miralax Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:46:18 PMSubject: So Many Questions!Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I can talk them out with you all! First of all, I have suffered with chronic constipation my whole life, I have very little motility and the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different GI double blind studies and neither drug helped me. My 3, almost 4, year old daughter has had constipation since she started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool, Xrays showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and would blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI and Ped put her on Krystalose and then Miralax. The Miralax helped, but I now know that this was the cause of her DRASTIC behavior change. She never ever sleeps among other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of Miralax for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she was on it, but still noticeable. We've found that some fruit in large quantities (and I'm talking a whole cantaloupe or several pearsa day)keep her stool soft. My 5 month old son could barely poop on his own since birth. He passed meconium fine, but then would go weeks between BMs and would only have one when we helped with a suppository. He is 100% breastfed, too. We started him on a LITTLE bit of food, just the P fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had to do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see! All of the doctors he has seen have told us that its normal, and he'll even out when he starts solid. I know this is not true. We've moved onto babylax enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just breastfeed. Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's chewable probiotics. It is SO expensive and everyone here needs to take probiotics I think, is there any other options? What about for an infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't see the severity of constipation! They have no idea! It doesn't help that my husband, his mom, and his stepdad are all doctors and think Miralax is as harmless as water. Please help!Larissa

Deanna,

How's the olive oil working for you? how do you get him to take it?

Jeanie

Subject: Re: So Many Questions!To: miralax Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 8:29 PM

I have no idea when it comes to a five month old. My son is 11 and he has had severe constipation issues since about age 2. I feel so guilty, he has had constipation issues so long it has stretched his colon. He now does not have the urge to go until he is about 5 or 6 times more full than the average person, so he needs bulk, I give him benefiber 1 tsp 3x daily. I liked the way mineral oil worked (it makes it soft) and I used it on him for about a month, could cause harm, I was turned on to olive oil instead. I give him 1-2 teaspoons at night before bedtime. I also chop fresh garlic and give it to him about every 2-3 days. I make sure he drinks lots of water daily and also lots of watery foods, and yes a whole cantelope or a couple of cucumbers etc...Now, starting last night, I put him on 2 tsp flaxseed in one danactive yogurt. He was backed up because I backed of the routine during the holidays...WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!

Anyway he went this morning, it had been about 5 or 6 days. As long as I stay with the routine, he generally goes every other day...I'm working towards every day but we are just not quite there yet. According to the docs, if we don't get his colon to shrink back down to size, it will be permanent, if it is not already. Doc says he is right at the age to loose elasticity in his colon. I have to make sure his poop does not get hard, that is why I give him the olive oil. I have been told that some kids have to take it with every meal. Cody does fine with just once a day. I worry about malabsorbtion with too much oil. I am really sorry to hear about the baby having trouble, I'm not sure what is safe and what is not for a baby. I know these days the pedi docs are not pushing water, maybe that will help if he will drink it, other than that, I have no idea. I'm sure there is someone else on this

group who can help you with that. Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08) , Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/ 08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).

From: larissaandlana <larissabrady@ gmail.com>To: miralax@yahoogroups .comSent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:46:18 PMSubject: So Many Questions!

first of all, has he shown any reaction to nuts? or is the doctor just nuts? just kidding! but really, if he hasn't shown any reaction, their tests can have a positive/negative and may be incorrect..................I'd definetely go to a different doctor, isn't that like prescibing sugar to a diabetic? what is he thinking?

Jeanie

Subject: Re: So Many Questions!To: miralax Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 9:32 PM

Does anyone have any chronically constipated kids who are also nut allergic? My 9 year old son is severely nut allergic and the holistic doctor we went to didn't seem able to handle it. He even wrote a diet for my son that included nuts and banned gluten even though he is not at all allergic to gluten. I have been afraid to use any supplement he suggested due to his inability to safely manage a nut allergic kid. This doctor's saliva test also showed no nut allergy when all other allergy tests and anaphylaxis episodes show otherwise. So if anyone knows of safe fiber and digestive supplements for constipated nut allergic kids, I'd be grateful!Kim Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

From: deanna gentry Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:29:50 -0800 (PST)To: <miralax@yahoogroups .com>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!

group who can help you with that. Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08) , Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/ 08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).

From: larissaandlana <larissabrady@ gmail.com>To: miralax@yahoogroups .comSent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:46:18 PMSubject: So Many Questions!

It is working good. I just put it in a spoon and have him take it lake medicine. It doesn't taste real bad, the oil is just weird feeling in the mouth. He has his drink in hand when I give it to him. The olive oil is the secret to chopped garlic not burning or tasting bad, I just chop it up and put it in the spoon also, I use a small clove and make sure the garlic is completely covered by the olive oil, he just downs it. Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08), Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).

To: miralax Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:33:43 PMSubject: Re: So Many Questions!

Deanna,

How's the olive oil working for you? how do you get him to take it?

Jeanie

From: deanna gentry <dkg116yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!To: miralax@yahoogroups .comDate: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 8:29 PM

What about olive oil? Is it safe? Maybe instead of a fiber supplements, try more fruits??? I really don't know much about nut allergies, sorry. Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08), Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).

To: miralax Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:32:30 PMSubject: Re: So Many Questions!

Does anyone have any chronically constipated kids who are also nut allergic? My 9 year old son is severely nut allergic and the holistic doctor we went to didn't seem able to handle it. He even wrote a diet for my son that included nuts and banned gluten even though he is not at all allergic to gluten. I have been afraid to use any supplement he suggested due to his inability to safely manage a nut allergic kid. This doctor's saliva test also showed no nut allergy when all other allergy tests and anaphylaxis episodes show otherwise. So if anyone knows of safe fiber and digestive supplements for constipated nut allergic kids, I'd be grateful!Kim Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

From: deanna gentry Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:29:50 -0800 (PST)To: <miralax@yahoogroups .com>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!

He has been hospitalized 3 times for nut issues since he was 2 1/2 years old - two for ingestion and one just for touching a cookie with a nut in it. So yes he's truly allergic :/ and according to his MD allergist the nut allergy is getting worse. He grew out of egg and soy and oat allergies thank God. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: jeanie ward Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 19:37:18 -0800 (PST)To: <miralax >Subject: Re: So Many Questions! first of all, has he shown any reaction to nuts? or is the doctor just nuts? just kidding! but really, if he hasn't shown any reaction, their tests can have a positive/negative and may be incorrect..................I'd definetely go to a different doctor, isn't that like prescibing sugar to a diabetic? what is he thinking?JeanieFrom: ktjackson421aol <ktjackson421aol>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!To: miralax Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 9:32 PMDoes anyone have any chronically constipated kids who are also nut allergic? My 9 year old son is severely nut allergic and the holistic doctor we went to didn't seem able to handle it. He even wrote a diet for my son that included nuts and banned gluten even though he is not at all allergic to gluten. I have been afraid to use any supplement he suggested due to his inability to safely manage a nut allergic kid. This doctor's saliva test also showed no nut allergy when all other allergy tests and anaphylaxis episodes show otherwise. So if anyone knows of safe fiber and digestive supplements for constipated nut allergic kids, I'd be grateful!Kim Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: deanna gentry Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:29:50 -0800 (PST)To: <miralax@yahoogroups .com>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!I have no idea when it comes to a five month old. My son is 11 and he has had severe constipation issues since about age 2. I feel so guilty, he has had constipation issues so long it has stretched his colon. He now does not have the urge to go until he is about 5 or 6 times more full than the average person, so he needs bulk, I give him benefiber 1 tsp 3x daily. I liked the way mineral oil worked (it makes it soft) and I used it on him for about a month, could cause harm, I was turned on to olive oil instead. I give him 1-2 teaspoons at night before bedtime. I also chop fresh garlic and give it to him about every 2-3 days. I make sure he drinks lots of water daily and also lots of watery foods, and yes a whole cantelope or a couple of cucumbers etc...Now, starting last night, I put him on 2 tsp flaxseed in one danactive yogurt. He was backed up because I backed of the routine during the holidays...WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?! Anyway he went this morning, it had been about 5 or 6 days. As long as I stay with the routine, he generally goes every other day...I'm working towards every day but we are just not quite there yet. According to the docs, if we don't get his colon to shrink back down to size, it will be permanent, if it is not already. Doc says he is right at the age to loose elasticity in his colon. I have to make sure his poop does not get hard, that is why I give him the olive oil. I have been told that some kids have to take it with every meal. Cody does fine with just once a day. I worry about malabsorbtion with too much oil. I am really sorry to hear about the baby having trouble, I'm not sure what is safe and what is not for a baby. I know these days the pedi docs are not pushing water, maybe that will help if he will drink it, other than that, I have no idea. I'm sure there is someone else on this group who can help you with that. Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08) , Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/ 08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).From: larissaandlana <larissabrady@ gmail.com>To: miralax@yahoogroups .comSent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:46:18 PMSubject: So Many Questions!Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I can talk them out with you all! First of all, I have suffered with chronic constipation my whole life, I have very little motility and the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different GI double blind studies and neither drug helped me. My 3, almost 4, year old daughter has had constipation since she started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool, Xrays showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and would blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI and Ped put her on Krystalose and then Miralax. The Miralax helped, but I now know that this was the cause of her DRASTIC behavior change. She never ever sleeps among other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of Miralax for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she was on it, but still noticeable. We've found that some fruit in large quantities (and I'm talking a whole cantaloupe or several pearsa day)keep her stool soft. My 5 month old son could barely poop on his own since birth. He passed meconium fine, but then would go weeks between BMs and would only have one when we helped with a suppository. He is 100% breastfed, too. We started him on a LITTLE bit of food, just the P fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had to do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see! All of the doctors he has seen have told us that its normal, and he'll even out when he starts solid. I know this is not true. We've moved onto babylax enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just breastfeed. Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's chewable probiotics. It is SO expensive and everyone here needs to take probiotics I think, is there any other options? What about for an infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't see the severity of constipation! They have no idea! It doesn't help that my husband, his mom, and his stepdad are all doctors and think Miralax is as harmless as water. Please help!Larissa

Yes Deanna we could use olive oil. I will try. THX!Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: deanna gentry Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 19:59:43 -0800 (PST)To: <miralax >Subject: Re: So Many Questions! What about olive oil? Is it safe? Maybe instead of a fiber supplements, try more fruits??? I really don't know much about nut allergies, sorry. Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08), Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).From: "ktjackson421aol" <ktjackson421aol>To: miralax Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:32:30 PMSubject: Re: So Many Questions!Does anyone have any chronically constipated kids who are also nut allergic? My 9 year old son is severely nut allergic and the holistic doctor we went to didn't seem able to handle it. He even wrote a diet for my son that included nuts and banned gluten even though he is not at all allergic to gluten. I have been afraid to use any supplement he suggested due to his inability to safely manage a nut allergic kid. This doctor's saliva test also showed no nut allergy when all other allergy tests and anaphylaxis episodes show otherwise. So if anyone knows of safe fiber and digestive supplements for constipated nut allergic kids, I'd be grateful!Kim Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: deanna gentry Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:29:50 -0800 (PST)To: <miralax@yahoogroups .com>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!I have no idea when it comes to a five month old. My son is 11 and he has had severe constipation issues since about age 2. I feel so guilty, he has had constipation issues so long it has stretched his colon. He now does not have the urge to go until he is about 5 or 6 times more full than the average person, so he needs bulk, I give him benefiber 1 tsp 3x daily. I liked the way mineral oil worked (it makes it soft) and I used it on him for about a month, could cause harm, I was turned on to olive oil instead. I give him 1-2 teaspoons at night before bedtime. I also chop fresh garlic and give it to him about every 2-3 days. I make sure he drinks lots of water daily and also lots of watery foods, and yes a whole cantelope or a couple of cucumbers etc...Now, starting last night, I put him on 2 tsp flaxseed in one danactive yogurt. He was backed up because I backed of the routine during the holidays...WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?! Anyway he went this morning, it had been about 5 or 6 days. As long as I stay with the routine, he generally goes every other day...I'm working towards every day but we are just not quite there yet. According to the docs, if we don't get his colon to shrink back down to size, it will be permanent, if it is not already. Doc says he is right at the age to loose elasticity in his colon. I have to make sure his poop does not get hard, that is why I give him the olive oil. I have been told that some kids have to take it with every meal. Cody does fine with just once a day. I worry about malabsorbtion with too much oil. I am really sorry to hear about the baby having trouble, I'm not sure what is safe and what is not for a baby. I know these days the pedi docs are not pushing water, maybe that will help if he will drink it, other than that, I have no idea. I'm sure there is someone else on this group who can help you with that. Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08) , Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/ 08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).From: larissaandlana <larissabrady@ gmail.com>To: miralax@yahoogroups .comSent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:46:18 PMSubject: So Many Questions!Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I can talk them out with you all! First of all, I have suffered with chronic constipation my whole life, I have very little motility and the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different GI double blind studies and neither drug helped me. My 3, almost 4, year old daughter has had constipation since she started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool, Xrays showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and would blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI and Ped put her on Krystalose and then Miralax. The Miralax helped, but I now know that this was the cause of her DRASTIC behavior change. She never ever sleeps among other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of Miralax for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she was on it, but still noticeable. We've found that some fruit in large quantities (and I'm talking a whole cantaloupe or several pearsa day)keep her stool soft. My 5 month old son could barely poop on his own since birth. He passed meconium fine, but then would go weeks between BMs and would only have one when we helped with a suppository. He is 100% breastfed, too. We started him on a LITTLE bit of food, just the P fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had to do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see! All of the doctors he has seen have told us that its normal, and he'll even out when he starts solid. I know this is not true. We've moved onto babylax enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just breastfeed. Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's chewable probiotics. It is SO expensive and everyone here needs to take probiotics I think, is there any other options? What about for an infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't see the severity of constipation! They have no idea! It doesn't help that my husband, his mom, and his stepdad are all doctors and think Miralax is as harmless as water. Please help!Larissa

The nut allergy is so scary. Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08), Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).

To: miralax Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:02:51 PMSubject: Re: So Many Questions!

He has been hospitalized 3 times for nut issues since he was 2 1/2 years old - two for ingestion and one just for touching a cookie with a nut in it. So yes he's truly allergic :/ and according to his MD allergist the nut allergy is getting worse. He grew out of egg and soy and oat allergies thank God.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

From: jeanie ward Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 19:37:18 -0800 (PST)To: <miralax@yahoogroups .com>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!

first of all, has he shown any reaction to nuts? or is the doctor just nuts? just kidding! but really, if he hasn't shown any reaction, their tests can have a positive/negative and may be incorrect... ......... ......I'd definetely go to a different doctor, isn't that like prescibing sugar to a diabetic? what is he thinking?

Jeanie

From: ktjackson421@ aol.com <ktjackson421@ aol.com>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!To: miralax@yahoogroups .comDate: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 9:32 PM

I am not Deanna but I started Olive Oil with my daughter

yesterday….like I said before-my daughter always poops daily HOWEVER she

has been going MORE….and they seemed pretty big and bulky….I have

been giving her 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil after lunch and right before her

nap. I have also increased her water intake by having her drink it with a

straw-she seems to like this….but anyway-both yesterday and today she had

at least 2 large BM’s each day and she said they did not hurt. I plan to

continue with the olive oil and extra water intake to see how this goes. We

also cut out the banana intake and rice…and I have added a bit more pear

juice, steamed veggies, etc. But I think Olive Oil is def. working for us and

she does not mind the taste either-says it is oily in her mouth-that is all.

Hope this helps someone else!

not sure why the naturopath would've ignored the nut allergy. But I

do wonder how your child was tested for gluten " allergy " - was it IgA,

IgE, or IgG? there are different types of " allergic " reactions -

delayed and immediate. Most mainstream doctors only test for immediate

reactions and do not know or understand the " delayed " type reactions

(often tested by blood IgG) - so don't test for it. Stool IgA is also

a very sensitive way to test for delayed/food allergies - as opposed

to " prick/scratch testing " or blood IgA or blood IgE. The delayed

reaction does not manifest itself in any seemingly " immediate " or sort

of overtly immediate reactions - but constipation is among the *many*

symptoms of the delayed-type reaction.

I would highly recommend gluten and casein free diet at least for a

few weeks (strict! learn the 'ins and outs' of

gluten-free/casein-free!) - provides amazing changes for many!

also - magesium and vitamin C (in addition to gluten-free,

casein-free, and a few other " frees " in our diet) have made ALL the

difference in the world with constipation (since early on in my boys -

at intro of solid foods).

best,

best,

>

> Does anyone have any chronically constipated kids who are also nut

allergic? My 9 year old son is severely nut allergic and the holistic

doctor we went to didn't seem able to handle it. He even wrote a diet

for my son that included nuts and banned gluten even though he is not

at all allergic to gluten. I have been afraid to use any supplement he

suggested due to his inability to safely manage a nut allergic kid.

This doctor's saliva test also showed no nut allergy when all other

allergy tests and anaphylaxis episodes show otherwise. So if anyone

knows of safe fiber and digestive supplements for constipated nut

allergic kids, I'd be grateful!

>

> Kim

> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

>

> So Many Questions!

>

>

> Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I can

> talk them out with you all! First of all, I have suffered with

> chronic constipation my whole life, I have very little motility and

> the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different GI

> double blind studies and neither drug helped me.

>

> My 3, almost 4, year old daughter has had constipation since she

> started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool, Xrays

> showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and would

> blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI and Ped put her on Krystalose and

> then Miralax. The Miralax helped, but I now know that this was the

> cause of her DRASTIC behavior change. She never ever sleeps among

> other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of Miralax

> for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she was

> on it, but still noticeable. We've found that some fruit in large

> quantities (and I'm talking a whole cantaloupe or several pearsa

> day)keep her stool soft.

>

> My 5 month old son could barely poop on his own since birth. He

> passed meconium fine, but then would go weeks between BMs and would

> only have one when we helped with a suppository. He is 100%

> breastfed, too. We started him on a LITTLE bit of food, just the P

> fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had to

> do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see! All of the doctors

> he has seen have told us that its normal, and he'll even out when he

> starts solid. I know this is not true. We've moved onto babylax

> enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just breastfeed.

>

> Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's chewable

> probiotics. It is SO expensive and everyone here needs to take

> probiotics I think, is there any other options? What about for an

> infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't see

> the severity of constipation! They have no idea! It doesn't help

> that my husband, his mom, and his stepdad are all doctors and think

> Miralax is as harmless as water. Please help!

>

> Larissa

>

p.s. - have you heard of Enterolab? You may consider testing for

gluten intolerance with them or with Kimball Genetics. Enterolab can

test for other food intolerances as well.

http://www.enterolab.com

http://www.kimballgenetics.com/tests.html (the Celiac panels -

antibody and/or genetic testing)

I did not know I was a Celiac (despite years of testing and finally

my giving up to doctors who told me it was all in my head!) until I

had to search for answers to my oldests' constipation which ultimately

led us to Enterolab testing for myself and my two boys. It has been

life-altering and GI-amazing changes for us.

>

>

>

> Subject: So Many Questions!

> To: miralax

> Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 7:46 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I can

> the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different GI

>

> started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool, Xrays

> showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and would

> blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI and Ped put her on Krystalose and

> other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of Miralax

> for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she was

>

> fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had to

> do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see! All of the doctors

> he has seen have told us that its normal, and he'll even out when he

> enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just breastfeed.

>

> Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's chewable

> infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't see

>

> Larissa

>

Hi - the holistic doctor did a salivary IgA and tested for a bunch of other allergens with a saliva test including gluten. My severely nut allergic son showed only a severe allergy to lamb! The results took 2-3 weeks to come back. A blood test showed iron and vitamin D deficiency. I'm honestly not sure if he didn't buy into the whole nut allergy as a problem or if he was just incompetent. I think it was incompetency because when I told him I wasn't going to follow a radically restricted diet for a kid who was already losing weight that included nuts, he apologized profusely for making a mistake. He also said the bowel problem caused the nut allergy which I didn't believe. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: "littlelief" Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:06:45 -0000To: <miralax >Subject: Re: So Many Questions! not sure why the naturopath would've ignored the nut allergy. But I do wonder how your child was tested for gluten " allergy " - was it IgA, IgE, or IgG? there are different types of " allergic " reactions - delayed and immediate. Most mainstream doctors only test for immediate reactions and do not know or understand the " delayed " type reactions (often tested by blood IgG) - so don't test for it. Stool IgA is also a very sensitive way to test for delayed/food allergies - as opposed to " prick/scratch testing " or blood IgA or blood IgE. The delayed reaction does not manifest itself in any seemingly " immediate " or sort of overtly immediate reactions - but constipation is among the *many* symptoms of the delayed-type reaction. I would highly recommend gluten and casein free diet at least for a few weeks (strict! learn the 'ins and outs' of gluten-free/casein-free!) - provides amazing changes for many! also - magesium and vitamin C (in addition to gluten-free, casein-free, and a few other " frees " in our diet) have made ALL the difference in the world with constipation (since early on in my boys - at intro of solid foods). best, best, > > Does anyone have any chronically constipated kids who are also nut allergic? My 9 year old son is severely nut allergic and the holistic doctor we went to didn't seem able to handle it. He even wrote a diet for my son that included nuts and banned gluten even though he is not at all allergic to gluten. I have been afraid to use any supplement he suggested due to his inability to safely manage a nut allergic kid. This doctor's saliva test also showed no nut allergy when all other allergy tests and anaphylaxis episodes show otherwise. So if anyone knows of safe fiber and digestive supplements for constipated nut allergic kids, I'd be grateful! > > Kim > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry > > So Many Questions! > > > Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I can > talk them out with you all! First of all, I have suffered with > chronic constipation my whole life, I have very little motility and > the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different GI > double blind studies and neither drug helped me. > > My 3, almost 4, year old daughter has had constipation since she > started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool, Xrays > showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and would > blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI and Ped put her on Krystalose and > then Miralax. The Miralax helped, but I now know that this was the > cause of her DRASTIC behavior change. She never ever sleeps among > other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of Miralax > for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she was > on it, but still noticeable. We've found that some fruit in large > quantities (and I'm talking a whole cantaloupe or several pearsa > day)keep her stool soft. > > My 5 month old son could barely poop on his own since birth. He > passed meconium fine, but then would go weeks between BMs and would > only have one when we helped with a suppository. He is 100% > breastfed, too. We started him on a LITTLE bit of food, just the P > fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had to > do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see! All of the doctors > he has seen have told us that its normal, and he'll even out when he > starts solid. I know this is not true. We've moved onto babylax > enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just breastfeed. > > Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's chewable > probiotics. It is SO expensive and everyone here needs to take > probiotics I think, is there any other options? What about for an > infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't see > the severity of constipation! They have no idea! It doesn't help > that my husband, his mom, and his stepdad are all doctors and think > Miralax is as harmless as water. Please help! > > Larissa >

can it be regular olive oil or does it need to be EVOO ?

Kathy

I am not Deanna but I started Olive Oil with my daughter yesterday….like I said before-my daughter always poops daily HOWEVER she has been going MORE….and they seemed pretty big and bulky….I have been giving her 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil after lunch and right before her nap. I have also increased her water intake by having her drink it with a straw-she seems to like this….but anyway-both yesterday and today she had at least 2 large BM’s each day and she said they did not hurt. I plan to continue with the olive oil and extra water intake to see how this goes. We also cut out the banana intake and rice…and I have added a bit more pear juice, steamed veggies, etc. But I think Olive Oil is def. working for us and she does not mind the taste either-says it is oily in her mouth-that is all.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.1/1869 - Release Date: 12/30/2008 12:06 PM

wow! I can't believe he takes it like that, Biaggi's restaurant has a bottle of olive oil on the table, sprinkle with parmesan chesse, (you pour a little on a bread & butter plate, and dip your bread that probably has a little garlic in it, it's yummy~

From: deanna gentry <dkg116yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!To: miralax@yahoogroups .comDate: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 8:29 PM

then definitely go to another doctor if he prescribed nuts by accident..............you've got your hands full, MANY vaccines contain egg...............and many foods that contain nuts .did you try to google a (nut free) remedy for a stool softener or laxative.............I'm sure all the mom's on here are looking up something for you, bless their hearts, I'll see what I can find

From: ktjackson421@ aol.com <ktjackson421@ aol.com>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!To: miralax@yahoogroups .comDate: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 9:32 PM

I will try that. Yes God bless the moms on here. I'm just sick to my stomach that he's been taking Miralax for almost a year. I feel like we have been poisoning him. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: jeanie ward Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 05:27:53 -0800 (PST)To: <miralax >Subject: Re: So Many Questions! then definitely go to another doctor if he prescribed nuts by accident..............you've got your hands full, MANY vaccines contain egg...............and many foods that contain nuts .did you try to google a (nut free) remedy for a stool softener or laxative.............I'm sure all the mom's on here are looking up something for you, bless their hearts, I'll see what I can findFrom: ktjackson421@ aol.com <ktjackson421@ aol.com>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!To: miralax@yahoogroups .comDate: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 9:32 PMDoes anyone have any chronically constipated kids who are also nut allergic? My 9 year old son is severely nut allergic and the holistic doctor we went to didn't seem able to handle it. He even wrote a diet for my son that included nuts and banned gluten even though he is not at all allergic to gluten. I have been afraid to use any supplement he suggested due to his inability to safely manage a nut allergic kid. This doctor's saliva test also showed no nut allergy when all other allergy tests and anaphylaxis episodes show otherwise. So if anyone knows of safe fiber and digestive supplements for constipated nut allergic kids, I'd be grateful!Kim Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: deanna gentry Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:29:50 -0800 (PST)To: <miralax@yahoogroups .com>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!I have no idea when it comes to a five month old. My son is 11 and he has had severe constipation issues since about age 2. I feel so guilty, he has had constipation issues so long it has stretched his colon. He now does not have the urge to go until he is about 5 or 6 times more full than the average person, so he needs bulk, I give him benefiber 1 tsp 3x daily. I liked the way mineral oil worked (it makes it soft) and I used it on him for about a month, could cause harm, I was turned on to olive oil instead. I give him 1-2 teaspoons at night before bedtime. I also chop fresh garlic and give it to him about every 2-3 days. I make sure he drinks lots of water daily and also lots of watery foods, and yes a whole cantelope or a couple of cucumbers etc...Now, starting last night, I put him on 2 tsp flaxseed in one danactive yogurt. He was backed up because I backed of the routine during the holidays...WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?! Anyway he went this morning, it had been about 5 or 6 days. As long as I stay with the routine, he generally goes every other day...I'm working towards every day but we are just not quite there yet. According to the docs, if we don't get his colon to shrink back down to size, it will be permanent, if it is not already. Doc says he is right at the age to loose elasticity in his colon. I have to make sure his poop does not get hard, that is why I give him the olive oil. I have been told that some kids have to take it with every meal. Cody does fine with just once a day. I worry about malabsorbtion with too much oil. I am really sorry to hear about the baby having trouble, I'm not sure what is safe and what is not for a baby. I know these days the pedi docs are not pushing water, maybe that will help if he will drink it, other than that, I have no idea. I'm sure there is someone else on this group who can help you with that. Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08) , Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/ 08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).From: larissaandlana <larissabrady@ gmail.com>To: miralax@yahoogroups .comSent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:46:18 PMSubject: So Many Questions!Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I can talk them out with you all! First of all, I have suffered with chronic constipation my whole life, I have very little motility and the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different GI double blind studies and neither drug helped me. My 3, almost 4, year old daughter has had constipation since she started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool, Xrays showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and would blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI and Ped put her on Krystalose and then Miralax. The Miralax helped, but I now know that this was the cause of her DRASTIC behavior change. She never ever sleeps among other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of Miralax for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she was on it, but still noticeable. We've found that some fruit in large quantities (and I'm talking a whole cantaloupe or several pearsa day)keep her stool soft. My 5 month old son could barely poop on his own since birth. He passed meconium fine, but then would go weeks between BMs and would only have one when we helped with a suppository. He is 100% breastfed, too. We started him on a LITTLE bit of food, just the P fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had to do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see! All of the doctors he has seen have told us that its normal, and he'll even out when he starts solid. I know this is not true. We've moved onto babylax enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just breastfeed. Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's chewable probiotics. It is SO expensive and everyone here needs to take probiotics I think, is there any other options? What about for an infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't see the severity of constipation! They have no idea! It doesn't help that my husband, his mom, and his stepdad are all doctors and think Miralax is as harmless as water. Please help!Larissa

are you saying the mainstream doc's tests came up negative, and Entrobab's came up postitive? wouldn't suprise me................at all!> > From: larissaandlana <larissabrady@

....>> Subject: So Many Questions!> To: miralax@yahoogroups .com> Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 7:46 PM> > > > > > > Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I can > talk them out with you all! First of all, I have suffered with > chronic constipation my whole life, I have very little motility and > the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different GI > double blind studies and neither drug helped me. > > My 3, almost 4, year old daughter has had constipation since she > started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool, Xrays > showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and would > blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI and Ped put her on Krystalose and > then Miralax.

The Miralax helped, but I now know that this was the > cause of her DRASTIC behavior change. She never ever sleeps among > other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of Miralax > for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she was > on it, but still noticeable. We've found that some fruit in large > quantities (and I'm talking a whole cantaloupe or several pearsa > day)keep her stool soft. > > My 5 month old son could barely poop on his own since birth. He > passed meconium fine, but then would go weeks between BMs and would > only have one when we helped with a suppository. He is 100% > breastfed, too. We started him on a LITTLE bit of food, just the P > fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had to > do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see! All of the doctors > he has seen have told us that

its normal, and he'll even out when he > starts solid. I know this is not true. We've moved onto babylax > enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just breastfeed. > > Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's chewable > probiotics. It is SO expensive and everyone here needs to take > probiotics I think, is there any other options? What about for an > infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't see > the severity of constipation! They have no idea! It doesn't help > that my husband, his mom, and his stepdad are all doctors and think > Miralax is as harmless as water. Please help!> > Larissa>

there is some truth in that, when the gut isn't balance correctly all kinds of things happen, like allergies, excema, etc. so he could be right about that. Sounds like he could use a probiotic. Call this company and ask them if this contains, what you can't have, the ingredients are listed, no soy, etc. This company makes their products, just for people with issues....................this product has been a life saver for us..........

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/ViewProductDetails@Product_ID@184@Product_Group_ID@...---

Subject: Re: Re: So Many Questions!To: miralax Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 6:00 AM

Hi - the holistic doctor did a salivary IgA and tested for a bunch of other allergens with a saliva test including gluten. My severely nut allergic son showed only a severe allergy to lamb! The results took 2-3 weeks to come back. A blood test showed iron and vitamin D deficiency. I'm honestly not sure if he didn't buy into the whole nut allergy as a problem or if he was just incompetent. I think it was incompetency because when I told him I wasn't going to follow a radically restricted diet for a kid who was already losing weight that included nuts, he apologized profusely for making a mistake. He also said the bowel problem caused the nut allergy which I didn't believe. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

From: "littlelief" Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:06:45 -0000To: <miralax@yahoogroups .com>Subject: Re: So Many Questions!

not sure why the naturopath would've ignored the nut allergy. But Ido wonder how your child was tested for gluten "allergy" - was it IgA,IgE, or IgG? there are different types of "allergic" reactions -delayed and immediate. Most mainstream doctors only test for immediatereactions and do not know or understand the "delayed" type reactions(often tested by blood IgG) - so don't test for it. Stool IgA is alsoa very sensitive way to test for delayed/food allergies - as opposedto "prick/scratch testing" or blood IgA or blood IgE. The delayedreaction does not manifest itself in any seemingly "immediate" or sortof overtly immediate reactions - but constipation is among the *many*symptoms of the delayed-type reaction.I would highly recommend gluten and casein free diet at least for afew weeks (strict! learn the 'ins and outs' ofgluten-free/ casein-free! ) - provides amazing changes for many!also

- magesium and vitamin C (in addition to gluten-free,casein-free, and a few other "frees" in our diet) have made ALL thedifference in the world with constipation (since early on in my boys -at intro of solid foods).best,best,>> Does anyone have any chronically constipated kids who are also nutallergic? My 9 year old son is severely nut allergic and the holisticdoctor we went to didn't seem able to handle it. He even wrote a dietfor my son that included nuts and banned gluten even though he is notat all allergic to gluten. I have been afraid to use any supplement hesuggested due to his inability to safely manage a nut allergic kid.This doctor's saliva test also showed no nut allergy when all otherallergy tests and anaphylaxis

episodes show otherwise. So if anyoneknows of safe fiber and digestive supplements for constipated nutallergic kids, I'd be grateful!> > Kim > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry> > So Many Questions!> > > Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I can > talk them out with you all! First of all, I have suffered with > chronic constipation my whole life, I have very little motility and > the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different GI > double blind studies and neither drug helped me. > > My 3, almost 4, year old daughter has had constipation since she > started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool, Xrays > showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and would > blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI

and Ped put her on Krystalose and > then Miralax. The Miralax helped, but I now know that this was the > cause of her DRASTIC behavior change. She never ever sleeps among > other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of Miralax > for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she was > on it, but still noticeable. We've found that some fruit in large > quantities (and I'm talking a whole cantaloupe or several pearsa > day)keep her stool soft. > > My 5 month old son could barely poop on his own since birth. He > passed meconium fine, but then would go weeks between BMs and would > only have one when we helped with a suppository. He is 100% > breastfed, too. We started him on a LITTLE bit of food, just the P > fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had to > do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see!

All of the doctors > he has seen have told us that its normal, and he'll even out when he > starts solid. I know this is not true. We've moved onto babylax > enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just breastfeed. > > Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's chewable > probiotics. It is SO expensive and everyone here needs to take > probiotics I think, is there any other options? What about for an > infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't see > the severity of constipation! They have no idea! It doesn't help > that my husband, his mom, and his stepdad are all doctors and think > Miralax is as harmless as water. Please help!> > Larissa>

http://www.seekingsources.com/extra_virgin_olive_oil.htm---

Subject: Re: So Many Questions!To: miralax Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 6:51 AM

can it be regular olive oil or does it need to be EVOO ?

Kathy

I am not Deanna but I started Olive Oil with my daughter yesterday….like I said before-my daughter always poops daily HOWEVER she has been going MORE….and they seemed pretty big and bulky….I have been giving her 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil after lunch and right before her nap. I have also increased her water intake by having her drink it with a straw-she seems to like this….but anyway-both yesterday and today she had at least 2 large BM’s each day and she said they did not hurt. I plan to continue with the olive oil and extra water intake to see how this goes. We also cut out the banana intake and rice…and I have added a bit more pear juice, steamed veggies, etc. But I think Olive Oil is def. working for us and she does not mind the taste either-says it is oily in her mouth-that is all.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.1/1869 - Release Date: 12/30/2008 12:06 PM

I've been crying for 9 years....................it's gut wrenching isn't it...............

I wish I had time to reply with a longer post. Please see my post in

the files section about what worked for my son.

BUT -- your dates of when the problem developed are very

interesting. Please look at your immunization records and see if the

constipation started within days of receiving the DTaP shot.

>

> Hi everyone! I have so many questions for you guys and I hope I

can

> the only thing that helps? Coffee. I've been through 2 different

GI

>

> started solids around 9 months old. Very very very dry stool,

Xrays

> showing total backups, etc. Before that she was breastfed and

would

> blow out 4 or 5 times a day. Her GI and Ped put her on Krystalose

and

> other things, but this is the worst part. She has been off of

Miralax

> for a year now but her behavior continues, not as bad as when she

was

>

> fruits, no cereal and his BMs have turned so hard. I actually had

to

> do some turd midwifery today, its so sad to see! All of the

doctors

> he has seen have told us that its normal, and he'll even out when

he

> enemas. I've stopped all solids and will continue to just

breastfeed.

>

> Now, my question is that I see everyone loves the Kirkman's

chewable

> infant? Any suggestions there? It is SO hard when doctors don't

see

>

> Larissa

>