RemedySpot.com

Re: New and confused

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here is something you might want to read, the docs will tell you it is hogwash, but it is true it has never been tested in pediatric use, as a matter of fact it has never been tested in adults that don't have healthy gi tracts. I called the drug manufacturer, they sent me a letter saying that this medication is not intended for children under the age 17, and that I should not be giving this to my child. Anyway here it is: Miralax: probably not the best solution for your childís (or your) constipation

(April 2005)

When it comes to constipation, natural practitioners hold that it is way under-diagnosed by conventional physicians. The way we see it, anything less that one bowel movement a day is unhealthy; but in medicine constipation is only considered a problem when it is severe. In these cases Miralax seems to be increasingly the drug of choice. But is it really a good solution?

Miralax has such a reassuring name that makes it sound like it is just the thing nature created for this problem. Fewer people might be willing to take it - or give it to their children - if they knew that the active ingredient is a chemical called polyethylene glycol (PEG), a close relative of ethylene glycol (antifreeze). Why, you might ask, would something like antifreeze end up being used as a laxative? Well, because it works, it is synthetic and can therefore be patented, and approval studies have not uncovered any dangers (in healthy adults).

The saving grace for PEG ñ at least in theory ñ is that it has a molecular weight of 3350, too large to be absorbed by a normal digestive tract. Studies performed in healthy, non-constipated adults show that pretty much all the Miralax taken by mouth comes out at the opposite end, meaning that none of the PEG is absorbed.

However, in constipated adults (those who actually take the Miralax) some of the PEG is always absorbed, and studies have not been able to match the amount that is excreted to what is taken in. This, incidentally, confirms that individuals with constipation have an unhealthy and excessively porous intestinal tract. If some of the PEG is retained in the body the unanswered questions are where does it go, how long does it stay there and what does it do? You might also be wondering what happens to PEG in children, but the reality is that Miralax was not studied in children.

Perhaps the most disconcerting aspect of PEG is its well-known use in research laboratories. Here PEG is used to cause different cell lines to merge, forming new ìmutantî cells, or to facilitate viral infection of resistant cells. Under normal circumstances, a given virus can only infect certain types of cells because it needs a specific attachment site that is found only on some cells and not others. Add a little PEG to the mix and the virus can infect any cell type and no longer needs an attachment site to get in. To be fair, this characteristic of PEG has not been demonstrated in the human body, although that doesnít reassure me.

So if PEG and Miralax are out, what options do we have? The first and most obvious one is to find what is causing the constipation and correct it. By far the most common cause is food allergy or sensitivity and, among these, milk wins the contest by a long shot.

When avoiding milk or other foods doesnít help we must look for other possibilities. In some children, especially autistic children, constipation can be a result of yeast overgrowth, of willful retention, or of abnormal response to a natural impulse. What can we do? Here is a list of options that can help, but it is important to realize that when using natural treatments often a combination of remedies is better than any single one.

Fiber There are a variety of fiber types that can help. Soluble fiber tends to be more bulking but insoluble fiber also works sometimes. Among my favorite types are freshly ground flaxseeds, food grade cellulose, and glucomannan. This last one has the distinction of having been studied and found to be safe and effective to treat pediatric constipation (Pediatrics 2004; 113: e259-e264). In addition glucomannan also helps slow down carbohydrate absorption and stabilizes blood sugar, thus taking care of another common problem. Of course, prunes and prune juice are often very helpful too although they are also high in sugar.

Vitamin C As readers of this newsletter know I am a fan of vitamin C. Vitamin C can be taken in very high doses as an intestinal ìcleanseî but taking somewhat lesser amounts can help loosen stools. There isnít a single dose that is effective for everybody and you will need to find the amount that works for you. To do so start with 1 or 2 grams per day (less in small children) and increase it by a gram or so every day until you achieve the desired result. Then stay at that daily level of intake, adjusting it as needed over time.

Magnesium Most people have heard of milk of magnesia, a form of magnesium sold as a laxative in drugstores. It is completely natural, safe, and it works very well, aside from a slightly unpleasant taste. Other forms of magnesium, including magnesium chloride, have a higher absorption rate. They may not be quite as effective as laxatives but they donít taste as bad, they are gentler and can help while at the same time also providing magnesium for the body.

Digestive enzymes and bile salts Bile salts are often referred to as the bodyís natural laxative. In many cases constipation is a result of insufficient bile production. Bile salts can be obtained as a supplement, often in combination with digestive enzymes, and can be very effective for some people. For others, just taking a regular digestive enzyme without any bile salts in it is all that is needed.

Oils I am sure youíve heard of mineral oil, although I donít recommend it. Just regular fatty acid supplements like fish oil or evening primrose oil can be slightly laxative. To enhance this effect you may consider adding a tablespoon of olive oil to the mix.

Xylitol is a natural sugar substitute from birch trees that is very low in calories simply because the human body cannot digest it. A known side effect of xylitol is that it can cause loose stools, so some people put two and two together and started using it as a laxative, then told me it works very well. Itís probably OK although it wouldnít be my first choice because I worry that yeast and unhealthy bacteria may find it far easier to digest than we do.

Herbs Although I am all for herbal treatments, common herbs used for constipation should be used only on an occasional basis because they can be habit forming and irritating to the sensitive tissues lining the intestinal tract

Here is the website: http://www.doctorvolpe.com/newsletters/browseUpdates.php?catID=49 Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08), Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).

To: miralax Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 3:32:21 PMSubject: New and confused

Hi,I'm new to the group but not to the issues of encopresis andMiralax use. My daughter (7) has suffered constipation since age 4 andbeen on Miralax for over two years now. Dr. says it can take up to 6months for the system to normalize. Well, we never make it 6 months.We go along for a few months, full of hope and then out of the blueshe gets backed up again. I just don't see a light at the end of thetunnel. We've recently seen a naturopath who is treating my daughterfor yeast (long term antibiotic use) and she is testing her for foodallergies and intolerances. Anyway, here is my question. How do we know that Miralax is bad orabsorbed or pulls things from the body. I've had so many Dr.s andnurse friends tell me that the body absolutely does not absorbMiralax. That it's a miracle and safe for long term use and notaddictive. How can we truly be sure? I am definitely not comfortablehaving given

Miralax to my daughter for over two years. There issomething that doesn't feel right about it. Where do people getevidence it is being absorbed? Is there a blood test? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate the wealth ofknowledge presented on this site and am excited to learn whatever Ican to help my daughter.Thanks!

DeannaThank you for the quick response. Lots to think of and lots to try!CharithSubject: Re: New and confusedTo: miralax Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 2:11 PM

Here is something you might want to read, the docs will tell you it is hogwash, but it is true it has never been tested in pediatric use, as a matter of fact it has never been tested in adults that don't have healthy gi tracts. I called the drug manufacturer, they sent me a letter saying that this medication is not intended for children under the age 17, and that I should not be giving this to my child. Anyway here it is: Miralax: probably not the best solution for your childís (or your) constipation

(April 2005)

When it comes to constipation, natural practitioners hold that it is way under-diagnosed by conventional physicians. The way we see it, anything less that one bowel movement a day is unhealthy; but in medicine constipation is only considered a problem when it is severe. In these cases Miralax seems to be increasingly the drug of choice. But is it really a good solution?

Miralax has such a reassuring name that makes it sound like it is just the thing nature created for this problem. Fewer people might be willing to take it - or give it to their children - if they knew that the active ingredient is a chemical called polyethylene glycol (PEG), a close relative of ethylene glycol (antifreeze) . Why, you might ask, would something like antifreeze end up being used as a laxative? Well, because it works, it is synthetic and can therefore be patented, and approval studies have not uncovered any dangers (in healthy adults).

The saving grace for PEG ñ at least in theory ñ is that it has a molecular weight of 3350, too large to be absorbed by a normal digestive tract. Studies performed in healthy, non-constipated adults show that pretty much all the Miralax taken by mouth comes out at the opposite end, meaning that none of the PEG is absorbed.

However, in constipated adults (those who actually take the Miralax) some of the PEG is always absorbed, and studies have not been able to match the amount that is excreted to what is taken in. This, incidentally, confirms that individuals with constipation have an unhealthy and excessively porous intestinal tract. If some of the PEG is retained in the body the unanswered questions are where does it go, how long does it stay there and what does it do? You might also be wondering what happens to PEG in children, but the reality is that Miralax was not studied in children.

Perhaps the most disconcerting aspect of PEG is its well-known use in research laboratories. Here PEG is used to cause different cell lines to merge, forming new ìmutantî cells, or to facilitate viral infection of resistant cells. Under normal circumstances, a given virus can only infect certain types of cells because it needs a specific attachment site that is found only on some cells and not others. Add a little PEG to the mix and the virus can infect any cell type and no longer needs an attachment site to get in. To be fair, this characteristic of PEG has not been demonstrated in the human body, although that doesnít reassure me.

So if PEG and Miralax are out, what options do we have? The first and most obvious one is to find what is causing the constipation and correct it. By far the most common cause is food allergy or sensitivity and, among these, milk wins the contest by a long shot.

When avoiding milk or other foods doesnít help we must look for other possibilities. In some children, especially autistic children, constipation can be a result of yeast overgrowth, of willful retention, or of abnormal response to a natural impulse. What can we do? Here is a list of options that can help, but it is important to realize that when using natural treatments often a combination of remedies is better than any single one.

Fiber There are a variety of fiber types that can help. Soluble fiber tends to be more bulking but insoluble fiber also works sometimes. Among my favorite types are freshly ground flaxseeds, food grade cellulose, and glucomannan. This last one has the distinction of having been studied and found to be safe and effective to treat pediatric constipation (Pediatrics 2004; 113: e259-e264). In addition glucomannan also helps slow down carbohydrate absorption and stabilizes blood sugar, thus taking care of another common problem. Of course, prunes and prune juice are often very helpful too although they are also high in sugar.

Vitamin C As readers of this newsletter know I am a fan of vitamin C. Vitamin C can be taken in very high doses as an intestinal ìcleanseî but taking somewhat lesser amounts can help loosen stools. There isnít a single dose that is effective for everybody and you will need to find the amount that works for you. To do so start with 1 or 2 grams per day (less in small children) and increase it by a gram or so every day until you achieve the desired result. Then stay at that daily level of intake, adjusting it as needed over time.

Magnesium Most people have heard of milk of magnesia, a form of magnesium sold as a laxative in drugstores. It is completely natural, safe, and it works very well, aside from a slightly unpleasant taste. Other forms of magnesium, including magnesium chloride, have a higher absorption rate. They may not be quite as effective as laxatives but they donít taste as bad, they are gentler and can help while at the same time also providing magnesium for the body.

Digestive enzymes and bile salts Bile salts are often referred to as the bodyís natural laxative. In many cases constipation is a result of insufficient bile production. Bile salts can be obtained as a supplement, often in combination with digestive enzymes, and can be very effective for some people. For others, just taking a regular digestive enzyme without any bile salts in it is all that is needed.

Oils I am sure youíve heard of mineral oil, although I donít recommend it. Just regular fatty acid supplements like fish oil or evening primrose oil can be slightly laxative. To enhance this effect you may consider adding a tablespoon of olive oil to the mix.

Xylitol is a natural sugar substitute from birch trees that is very low in calories simply because the human body cannot digest it. A known side effect of xylitol is that it can cause loose stools, so some people put two and two together and started using it as a laxative, then told me it works very well. Itís probably OK although it wouldnít be my first choice because I worry that yeast and unhealthy bacteria may find it far easier to digest than we do.

Herbs Although I am all for herbal treatments, common herbs used for constipation should be used only on an occasional basis because they can be habit forming and irritating to the sensitive tissues lining the intestinal tract

Here is the website: http://www.doctorvo lpe.com/newslett ers/browseUpdate s.php?catID= 49 Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08) , Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/ 08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).

From: charithv <charithvyahoo (DOT) com>To: miralax@yahoogroups .comSent: Monday, December 29, 2008 3:32:21 PMSubject: New and confused

Hi,I'm new to the group but not to the issues of encopresis andMiralax use. My daughter (7) has suffered constipation since age 4 andbeen on Miralax for over two years now. Dr. says it can take up to 6months for the system to normalize. Well, we never make it 6 months.We go along for a few months, full of hope and then out of the blueshe gets backed up again. I just don't see a light at the end of thetunnel. We've recently seen a naturopath who is treating my daughterfor yeast (long term antibiotic use) and she is testing her for foodallergies and intolerances. Anyway, here is my question. How do we know that Miralax is bad orabsorbed or pulls things from the body. I've had so many Dr.s andnurse friends tell me that the body absolutely does not absorbMiralax. That it's a miracle and safe for long term use and notaddictive. How can we truly be sure? I am definitely not comfortablehaving given

Miralax to my daughter for over two years. There issomething that doesn't feel right about it. Where do people getevidence it is being absorbed? Is there a blood test? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate the wealth ofknowledge presented on this site and am excited to learn whatever Ican to help my daughter.Thanks!

How do we know it's absorbed? If it wasn't, we wouldn't have even ONE report from the FDA.............................

you can obtain it by any doctor who looks up the safety and effectiveness of polyethylene glycol 3350 at any hospital library (or you could do it yourself)................it is written and there are reports of gut permeablility tests, that 4% is absorbed in a NORMAL gut. For your conveinience, I've submitted and paid for the AERS (FOIA) Freedom of Information Act.........FDA adverse reactions..............see below, when I started submitting 9 years ago, there were 6 people and 2 pages, there are now, as of last March 08, 869 reports, and 114 pages with 5 on each page.......................many have permanent damage, several children have died.............I have copies of documents my physician found for me, that clearly states 4% is absorbed. I don't have a scanner but I will upload them to the group one of these days.......................

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/miralax/files/

Jeanie

Subject: New and confusedTo: miralax Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 3:32 PM

Hi,I'm new to the group but not to the issues of encopresis andMiralax use. My daughter (7) has suffered constipation since age 4 andbeen on Miralax for over two years now. Dr. says it can take up to 6months for the system to normalize. Well, we never make it 6 months.We go along for a few months, full of hope and then out of the blueshe gets backed up again. I just don't see a light at the end of thetunnel. We've recently seen a naturopath who is treating my daughterfor yeast (long term antibiotic use) and she is testing her for foodallergies and intolerances. Anyway, here is my question. How do we know that Miralax is bad orabsorbed or pulls things from the body. I've had so many Dr.s andnurse friends tell me that the body absolutely does not absorbMiralax. That it's a miracle and safe for long term use and notaddictive. How can we truly be sure? I am definitely not comfortablehaving

given Miralax to my daughter for over two years. There issomething that doesn't feel right about it. Where do people getevidence it is being absorbed? Is there a blood test? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate the wealth ofknowledge presented on this site and am excited to learn whatever Ican to help my daughter.Thanks!

It also states not to give to children and the doctors are using this off label, against the manufacturer's advise, it also states not to use longer than two weeks..............

From: charithv <charithvyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: New and confusedTo: miralax@yahoogroups .comDate: Monday, December 29, 2008, 3:32 PM

Hi,I'm new to the group but not to the issues of encopresis andMiralax use. My daughter (7) has suffered constipation since age 4 andbeen on Miralax for over two years now. Dr. says it can take up to 6months for the system to normalize. Well, we never make it 6 months.We go along for a few months, full of hope and then out of the blueshe gets backed up again. I just don't see a light at the end of thetunnel. We've recently seen a naturopath who is treating my daughterfor yeast (long term antibiotic use) and she is testing her for foodallergies and intolerances. Anyway, here is my question. How do we know that Miralax is bad orabsorbed or pulls things from the body. I've had so many Dr.s andnurse friends tell me that the body absolutely does not absorbMiralax. That it's a miracle and safe for long term use and notaddictive. How can we truly be sure? I am definitely not comfortablehaving

given Miralax to my daughter for over two years. There issomething that doesn't feel right about it. Where do people getevidence it is being absorbed? Is there a blood test? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate the wealth ofknowledge presented on this site and am excited to learn whatever Ican to help my daughter.Thanks!

This just seems INSANE. How can Dr’s legally do this?

Interestingly the Dr. called me the next day to ask how my daughter was and I did

not know what to say so I was like-Um…good. Where would I even begin? I

just don’t understand how she can legally advise me to give something

that has been advised NOT to give to children-and yet she said give it 1 mnth…are

you joking? Isn’t there something that can be done about this?

Can one dose cause serious problems? I gave my daughter one dose

yesterday-it was a ½ capful mixed in her drink….interestingly-whether it

was related to her complete meltdown right after-we don’t know but she

freaked out riding bikes w/my husband and her sister-and had a meltdown,

screaming at her sister over silly stuff, yelling at her dad, etc. Right after,

we put her down for a nap-chalked it up to tiredness….and she went right

to sleep-she gave up….Is there anything we should be looking for after

one ½ dosage?

miralax [mailto:miralax ] On Behalf Of jeanie

ward

Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 8:22 PM

To: miralax

Subject: Re: New and confused

It also states not to give to children and the doctors are

using this off label, against the manufacturer's advise, it also states not

to use longer than two weeks..............

<charithvyahoo (DOT) com>

Subject: New and confused

To: miralax@yahoogroups .com

Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 3:32 PM

Hi,I'm new to the group but

not to the issues of encopresis and

Miralax use. My daughter (7) has suffered constipation since age 4 and

been on Miralax for over two years now. Dr. says it can take up to 6

months for the system to normalize. Well, we never make it 6 months.

We go along for a few months, full of hope and then out of the blue

she gets backed up again. I just don't see a light at the end of the

tunnel. We've recently seen a naturopath who is treating my daughter

for yeast (long term antibiotic use) and she is testing her for food

allergies and intolerances.

Anyway, here is my question. How do we know that Miralax is bad or

absorbed or pulls things from the body. I've had so many Dr.s and

nurse friends tell me that the body absolutely does not absorb

Miralax. That it's a miracle and safe for long term use and not

addictive. How can we truly be sure? I am definitely not comfortable

having given Miralax to my daughter for over two years. There is

something that doesn't feel right about it. Where do people get

evidence it is being absorbed? Is there a blood test?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate the wealth of

knowledge presented on this site and am excited to learn whatever I

can to help my daughter.

Thanks!

Thank you, I have been online all day reading and reading. I appreciate the info! In fact, I think I read your letter/statement to the FDA. Very interesting!Charith

From: charithv <charithvyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: New and confusedTo: miralax@yahoogroups .comDate: Monday, December 29, 2008, 3:32 PM

That's exactly what we're talking about..............this medication is extremely dangerous. you need to spend hours, months reading all the old posts. i.e. one list explained that her dd tried to scratch out her other daughter's eyes.............my own daughter 3.5 at the time, threw a book at her sisters eye (a baby in a car seat) and she still has a scar under her eye. There are reports of kids trying to kick out the windows of the mini van etc. We've had our hands full with behavioral problems and she only took it for 10 days................She never acted this way before Miralax......................this is why we created this group

examples are

major, and I mean Major meltdowns, hysteria almost over insignifigant things

aggressive behavior

hard to focus

constant nervousness

constant picking and chewing on things

tics

tremors

delusions

seizures

isolated behavior

no urine output

excessive urine out put

hyponatremia

hypernatremia

hypomagnesia

hypocalcemia

loss of potassium

heart problems

metabolic acidosis

kidney failure

calcium oxalate present in the urine

burning stinging while urinating

burning stinging rashes from BM

seizes up the bowel

urinary reflux

EE can't pronounce or spell, it's eat away the esophogas

paranoia

coma

death.....................these are just a few off the top of my head

There are FDA adverse reactions reports to confirm this and many, many Mom's on this group that have shared their testimonies...............we believe that the chemical make up of this drug is somehow breaking down in the body. According to the similarities and it's chemical make up................we believe it's breaking down into EG Ethylene glycol. EG has the exact same side affects...............sad, but true. the chemical make up is just a chain of EG molecule all linked together...............can it happen with just one dose? I'm sure it can, some people absorb more than others and this has not been researched very well, they haven't even realized what happened, is even happening yet...........please read the FDA adverse reactions..............I've petitioned them twice, second time with no answer in almost a year, they are short handed and probably won't do anything about this til we call the media.................This chemical has wreck more

lives than I'd like to think of, especially my dd's......................I have educated 2 Physicians on this and they both say, I'm exactly right and this is no different than what the melamine in the Pet Food did...........

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/miralax/files/

Jeanie

Hi,I'm new to the group but not to the issues of encopresis andMiralax use. My daughter (7) has suffered constipation since age 4 andbeen on Miralax for over two years now. Dr. says it can take up to 6months for the system to normalize. Well, we never make it 6 months.We go along for a few months, full of hope and then out of the blueshe gets backed up again. I just don't see a light at the end of thetunnel. We've recently seen a naturopath who is treating my daughterfor yeast (long term antibiotic use) and she is testing her for foodallergies and intolerances. Anyway, here is my question. How do we know that Miralax is bad orabsorbed or pulls things from the body. I've had so many Dr.s andnurse friends tell me that the body absolutely does not absorbMiralax. That it's a miracle and safe for long term use and notaddictive. How can we truly be sure? I am definitely not

comfortablehaving given Miralax to my daughter for over two years. There issomething that doesn't feel right about it. Where do people getevidence it is being absorbed? Is there a blood test? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate the wealth ofknowledge presented on this site and am excited to learn whatever Ican to help my daughter.Thanks!

I also forgot to add that there are also 8000 posts and 800 members on here along with the 900 from the FDA.......................that's how many I found!

I wonder if it takes time for some of these behaviors to appear. My daughter has been on Miralax for two years but just a few months ago started these behaviors:ticsunconsolable cryingangry outburstsinsomnia (bed @ 7:30, awake till 10 or 11)hyperclingywhinyuncooperative (can hardly get her to do homework and it's sloppy!)regression (wants me to go to the bathroom with her, wants me to carry her)This behavior is certainly different from how she was in the past. She has a twin brother and she's always been the calm one. The one who could play for hours by herself. Very cooperative and cheerful.She's been on antibiotics for a year for recurrent urinary tract infections, I'm sure her stomach lining is compromised so perhaps she has been absorbing more. Could it take so long for the behaviors to show up? It's

so disturbing!Thanks again for all the info!Charith

Hi,I'm new to the group but not to the issues of encopresis andMiralax use. My daughter (7) has suffered constipation since age 4 andbeen on Miralax for over two years now. Dr. says it can take up to 6months for the system to normalize. Well, we never make it 6 months.We go along for a few months, full of hope and then out of the blueshe gets backed up again. I just don't see a light at the end of thetunnel. We've recently seen a naturopath who is treating my daughterfor yeast (long term antibiotic use) and she is testing her for foodallergies and intolerances. Anyway, here is my question. How do we know that Miralax is bad orabsorbed or pulls things from the body. I've had so many Dr.s andnurse friends tell me that the body absolutely does not absorbMiralax. That it's a miracle and safe for long term use and notaddictive. How can we truly be sure? I am definitely not

comfortablehaving given Miralax to my daughter for over two years. There issomething that doesn't feel right about it. Where do people getevidence it is being absorbed? Is there a blood test? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate the wealth ofknowledge presented on this site and am excited to learn whatever Ican to help my daughter.Thanks!

The Miralax is causing the problem, trust me................you'll now need to give a probiotic to replenish the bacteria or she'll continue to be constipated..............how do these doctors not see this pattern??? Get her off ASAP. It took years for some of these kids to recover from thier stinging pee pee's including mine...............Kirkman chewable probiotic works unbelievable..................

Also,

sometimes one doesn't notice the symptoms from Miralax people don't corrolate this odd behavior with something the doctors have all put in our heads that it's not absorbed, my doc says, according to the protocol, they would immediately assume it must be coming from something else, because the protocol states it's not absorbed which is untrue...........and incorrect, people wouldn't be dying from it if it weren't. Also, the lower the dose, the less the symptoms would show, just as drug users

That sounds EXACTLY like my 9 year old son's behavior! Horrible insomnia, very short fuse temper-wise, horrible immune system, cries over nothing. I'm taking him off Miralax as of today.Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: charith varga Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 08:31:04 -0800 (PST)To: <miralax >Subject: RE: New and confused I wonder if it takes time for some of these behaviors to appear. My daughter has been on Miralax for two years but just a few months ago started these behaviors:ticsunconsolable cryingangry outburstsinsomnia (bed @ 7:30, awake till 10 or 11)hyperclingywhinyuncooperative (can hardly get her to do homework and it's sloppy!)regression (wants me to go to the bathroom with her, wants me to carry her)This behavior is certainly different from how she was in the past. She has a twin brother and she's always been the calm one. The one who could play for hours by herself. Very cooperative and cheerful.She's been on antibiotics for a year for recurrent urinary tract infections, I'm sure her stomach lining is compromised so perhaps she has been absorbing more. Could it take so long for the behaviors to show up? It's so disturbing!Thanks again for all the info!CharithFrom: charithv <charithvyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: New and confusedTo: miralax@yahoogroups .comDate: Monday, December 29, 2008, 3:32 PMHi,I'm new to the group but not to the issues of encopresis andMiralax use. My daughter (7) has suffered constipation since age 4 andbeen on Miralax for over two years now. Dr. says it can take up to 6months for the system to normalize. Well, we never make it 6 months.We go along for a few months, full of hope and then out of the blueshe gets backed up again. I just don't see a light at the end of thetunnel. We've recently seen a naturopath who is treating my daughterfor yeast (long term antibiotic use) and she is testing her for foodallergies and intolerances. Anyway, here is my question. How do we know that Miralax is bad orabsorbed or pulls things from the body. I've had so many Dr.s andnurse friends tell me that the body absolutely does not absorbMiralax. That it's a miracle and safe for long term use and notaddictive. How can we truly be sure? I am definitely not comfortablehaving given Miralax to my daughter for over two years. There issomething that doesn't feel right about it. Where do people getevidence it is being absorbed? Is there a blood test? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate the wealth ofknowledge presented on this site and am excited to learn whatever Ican to help my daughter.Thanks!

sorry I forgot

manic behavior, crying over throwing out a bagel etc.

the insomnia means it's affecting their nervous system and it crosses the blood barrier of the brain, per my doctor.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm glad you found us..............this is all we could do for now, unless others are willing to stand behind me and not too many want to come forward.................someone needs to call the media and I can't do it alone

Jeanie

I

I am happy to say that she is on a probiotic. I will make it my main focus to get her off the Miralax. If my biggest fear is that she will get backed up without it, I need to remind myself that she gets backed up anyway, even on it. Charith

I can't believe your doctor actually told you that. I have yet to meet a doctor or nurse who doesn't swear it is not absorbed. It must be nice to have someone validate you. That is interesting about the insomnia. Last night I went into my daughter's room at 10 because I was going to bed. She was sitting up saying she was bored. She'd been in there since 7:30. And yes, manic behavior over little things. Simply, she is just not herself in so many ways. I'm glad I found you too. I am not opposed to coming forward, I just feel I need to do more research so that I can get my mind around all of this. Share with me what you want and give me links. I love research and I am committed to getting my girl healthy. Plus I like being proactive. Otherwise I would just be sad and depressed. At least I feel like I'm doing something, even if it's just learning for

now.Charith

I'm taking my daughter off too. That behavior is just not okay. Especially if it's out of character. So out of character that you can't figure it out. I went to the health food store today and spent a long time talking to one of the employees in the supplement area. He recommended a product called Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Concentrate by Aloe Life and a supplement called Triphala by Himalaya Pure Herbs. The Aloe Vera Concentrate is supposed to be cathartic (gently move the bowels) and is complimentary with probiotics. The Triphala is made up of three berries that are a gentle, natural stimulant. The guy said it doesn't cause cramping or gas. It all sounds good but I have put a call in to the pediatrician and naturopath before I'll give these to my daughter. Anyone heard of using these or had experience with them?Thanks!From: charithv <charithvyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: New and confusedTo: miralax@yahoogroups .comDate: Monday, December 29, 2008, 3:32 PMHi,I'm new to the group but not to the issues of encopresis andMiralax use. My daughter (7) has suffered constipation since age 4 andbeen on Miralax for over two years

now. Dr. says it can take up to 6months for the system to normalize. Well, we never make it 6 months.We go along for a few months, full of hope and then out of the blueshe gets backed up again. I just don't see a light at the end of thetunnel. We've recently seen a naturopath who is treating my daughterfor yeast (long term antibiotic use) and she is testing her for foodallergies and intolerances. Anyway, here is my question. How do we know that Miralax is bad orabsorbed or pulls things from the body. I've had so many Dr.s andnurse friends tell me that the body absolutely does not absorbMiralax. That it's a miracle and safe for long term use and notaddictive. How can we truly be sure? I am definitely not comfortablehaving given Miralax to my daughter for over two years. There issomething that doesn't feel right about it. Where do people getevidence it is being absorbed? Is there a blood test?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate the wealth ofknowledge presented on this site and am excited to learn whatever Ican to help my daughter.Thanks!

No, no experience with those yet. Deanna,Fort Worth, TexasMom to Cody age 10, Dx: EE (2/08), Guilliam Barre Syndrome(3/08), Epstein Barr Virus-Mono(6/08), Environmental Allergies (mountain cedar & cats)(3/08), Eczema (since birth).

To: miralax Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:27:26 PMSubject: Re: New and confused

I'm taking my daughter off too. That behavior is just not okay. Especially if it's out of character. So out of character that you can't figure it out. I went to the health food store today and spent a long time talking to one of the employees in the supplement area. He recommended a product called Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Concentrate by Aloe Life and a supplement called Triphala by Himalaya Pure Herbs. The Aloe Vera Concentrate is supposed to be cathartic (gently move the bowels) and is complimentary with probiotics. The Triphala is made up of three berries that are a gentle, natural stimulant. The guy said it doesn't cause cramping or gas. It all sounds good but I have put a call in to the pediatrician and naturopath before I'll give these to my daughter. Anyone heard of using these or had experience with them?Thanks!