RemedySpot.com

Re: sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

Thanks to Sandie who sent this a while ago. I just noticed a couple of things I didn’t pick up then...

Re gut and gut-related probs discussed quite a lot these past weeks, note that this ab comes under brand names Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Sulfatrim, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Sulfatrim Suspension, Uroplus, Uroplus DS

Several points to note –

This medication affects folic acid in your body, [emphasis mine – folic acid is pretty vital for digestion/food absorption I think – need to research it, but seem to recall it has relevance.]

Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight. Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim may increase the sensitivity of your skin to sunlight. Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing when exposure to the sun is unavoidable.

And -

Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take your medication and talk to your doctor if you experience

headache, fatigue, or dizziness; nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite, or diarrhea; weakness; or increased sensitivity to the sun.

Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

I was on high dose Bactrim 10 months continuous, no mention of sun risk, and no acknowledgement when had bad diarrhoea for 18months afterward. Oh, just coincidence – and “vegetarian diet” (according to hospital medical file!).

It just says to me we CANNOT rely on drs for info, we have to read EVERYTHING, and write a list of what we want to have addressed when we visit our medico, in order to be even at the starting block...

--

Joy

Australia

-- --

" Wealth is nothing, position is nothing, fame is nothing.

Who you become inside is everything.

What happens to you is not as important as how you react to what happens. "

I cant take bactrim..nor bioxin..I know they are two meds dr's like to use but these drugs dont agree w/me and I wont suffer thru the symptoms for the sake of good health..what's good health if you're suffering thru one thing to make another better?

There's a host of other meds out there..never ' settle' cause your dr says it's so..listen to your body..and fight for it..you are your most important advocate..

Sandie USA MD

Never Look Down on SomeoneUnless You're Willing to Help Them UpStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.