RemedySpot.com

Re: why is disclosure such a bad thing?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I agree with . Perhaps it is because, here in the Uk at least, AS is a disability and as such those who have a diagnosis are protected under the disabilities act, so if treatment of workers changed based on a disclosure of disability, which led to a person with AS losing their job, then it would be constructive dismissal and illegal. I can't speak as an AS person of course, just one who works with children on the spectrum and who advises schools when they are not fulfilling their legal duties under the act to make reasonable and necessary adjustments for the AS children in their care. My husband chose to disclose at work by supplying leaflets from the National Autistic Society about AS and discussing any issues that arose, but he works in a small business with only a handful of staff who all know him well. By the time he had a probable diagnosis he was already on his final warning at work for complaints about his conduct from customers and an altercation with a colleague and I honestly think that had he been aware, and accepting of, the AS earlier and had been able to explain to colleagues how this impacted on him at work and how he could be supported, then at least one of the warnings may not have happened. If a disability affects the way you work and those you work with then it could be helpful to let others who it may impact upon know - as said, others with disabilities wouldn't hesitate to disclose, yet there feels like there is almost a taboo around disclosure of AS. Again I am approaching this as a NT person who is much more aware of the autistic spectrum than many adults. I agree with that perhaps it is re-education of the NT population that would help, so that our next generation of school children do not feel worried or ashamed about disclosing a disability that is just as valid as any other. In reply to , the original poster of the question, I don't think it is a question of whether he discloses, but rather the manner in which he does this. I agree with others that a general email is probably not the best approach. It might be better to limit who is disclosed to and to do so more personally, perhaps backed up by literature and the opportunity for questions. If this is done within a small circle of those you trust at first, then they could be your advocates within the company and provide an extra layer of support and understanding, acting as a buffer perhaps. Sent from my iPhone

Hi all,

I have a question for the group that stems from the responses to request for help with his letter.

Why is disclosure such a bad thing?

Would we expect a blind or deaf person to keep their condition to themselves?

with both of these types of disability there are visual signs (guide dog/stick or hearing aids) that people can take on board easily and then offer the appropriate assistance when needed.

there are no signs to help people see when someone with an ASD might need support. Some of us are a little "mind blind" and sometimes find we need a little understanding and help.

I feel I have a duty to the next generation of people living with ASD to help spread the understanding of ASD, and to help create an environment of acceptance.

I hope that as the children that are now receiving help and support (and hopefully acceptance) grow to adult hood, they will be offered support and understanding by the world at large, not just those that know them intimately.

I would like to think that by my "disclosure" of my ASD, I am helping to create a more accepting world for all people with ASD.

The person that made me see the sense in doing this, was a close friend that has been deaf since birth. he has no choice about disclosing his condition, for him it is essential that others know that he can not hear. he sees his deafness as little more than a hearing person would see the language barrier of communicating in a different country.

I see my ASD as essentially "thinking in a different language". why should i stay mute and endure the ensuing confusion/judgement of others, when with a little effort on my part i can work towards acceptance and understanding?

At this time, in the country i live in, there is little to no support offered for people on the spectrum once they leave the school system. i hope that in some small way my speaking out will change this.

So again I ask "Why is disclosure such a bad thing?"

Australia