Re: Thyroid and Hashimotos help

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi , 

Have you had your thyroid antibodies tested? (tpo aka. thyroid peroxidase

antibodies) if your antibodies are elevated, they are the reason for your

hypothyroidism. If you can get rid of those antibodies that are attacking your

thyroid, you'll get rid of your hypothyroidism!!  And probably off your meds

granted that you have not been on them long term. To get rid of them you'll need

to completely restrict gluten from your diet. Your body sees gluten as a foreign

substance and it produces antibodies against gluten. Your thyroid tissue looks

very similar and your body can't tell the difference between gluten and thyroid

tissue, so it attacks it and destroys it. Thus making it difficult for your

thyroid to produce enough hormones to keep up with your bodies needs! As the

destruction continues, you will continue to decline this needing higher and

higher doses of medication.  I was diagnosed with hashimotos just this past

June. My antibodies were 258 (norm is less than 34) in July I began a gluten

free diet. In just six months my antibidies are already down to 128!!  Still

have a ways to go but I'm very hopeful. My tsh is the lowest I've seen it. It's

down to 3.3 (norm is less than 3). It takes about 3 to six months to get gluten

out of your system and to start feeling better!  My hero in all of this is Dr

Datis Kharrazian and his book " why do I still have thyroid symptoms when my lab

tests are normal " . I have not been to see him but read his book. This has

changed my life! Hope this helps. There is hope :)

Sent from my iPhone

>

> I have been struggling with my health for about a year in a half now. I was

feeling really bad last winter and finally was diagnosed with hypothyroid. I was

on 25 mcg levothyroxine. After a month or two of being on it, I felt better than

I had in years. I realized my thyroid problem was probably going on longer than

I knew, I guess I eventually just crashed. I felt like I was dying, the energy

to take a shower was too much.

> It was about 4 months later that I switched pharmacies ( from Walgreens to

Walmart) because the meds were cheaper. A few months later I started not feeling

so hot again. I figured I needed to get my thyroid levels checked again, but I

just kept putting it off. Then come August things got worse, and by early

September I was unable to function again. I have been sick since. This is taking

such an awful toll on me. I went to the dr, and he said thyroid is fine don't

change a thing (tsh was 3.5 then). I got so bad all I did for two months was see

doctors. Unable to work or care for my 3 year old. I went to my gp and all he

did was try to put me on Xanax and SSRI's. I begged him to put me in the

hospital because I felt so sick. I left that doc and went to an internest. She

put be through the ringer with tests, because she said absolutely do not

increase your thyroid meds. Eventually she told me there was nothing more she

could do for me. 8 trips to the ER, and no help there either. I saw 2 endos at

that point because I figured all my tests are fine, it has to be my

thyroid...these doctors are wrong. They diagnosed me at that point with hashi's.

But said this changes nothing. I switched to synthroid upon their

recommendation.

> I was still feeling very ill, so I found an endo at Northwestern in Chicago,

who I figured had to be more knowledgeable then these quacks I've been seeing.

She upped my dose to 50mcg. I started to feel better. I still did not feel good,

but I was able to at least function, even though not at my normal level. I wait

7 weeks to get my tsh checked and at that point was feeling quite crappy again.

Upped my dose to 75mcg after tsh came back 2.05. (sorry I don't have all the

reference ranges, I have piles of tests I would have to go through). Within a

few days I felt the brain fog lift, and felt a bit better, then I got way worse

again. I switched back to levothyroxine from Walgreens, because I knew I had no

problem on that particular kind. It's been 5 days on that, and I am starting to

feel normal. But after this long I don't even know what it is like to feel

normal...or what normal even is for that matter.

> I have had a few days of better before, so I'm anxious that its not going to

last. But I'm really hoping it does. My doctor also told me that hashimotos

means nothing. I am very confused by this because I have been reading the

opposite. My thyroid has actually been hurting the last few days too, which is

odd. Even the fancy dr. at Northwestern didn't seem any more knowledgeable

about my condition than anyone else. It's seems if your symptoms are more than

tired and itchy and weird periods then they assume it's not your thyroid. How

can they not know that it makes people feel so incredibly ill? I guess at this

point I'm looking for advice. I don't know where to turn anymore, I wish I could

find a dr. that understood more and if hashimotos matters or not? Thanks for

reading.

>

Have you read Hope for Hashimoto's by Dr. Haskell? Here's a link to

his site and videos: http://hopeforhashimotos.com/dr-alexander-haskell-n-d/

He does state as an autoimmune Hashimoto's treatment is unique.

I am struggling some on generic Synthroid after a month of feeling quite good.

Thinking the addition of T3 may help. See my Endo on Tuesday.

Best Wishes, Kristal (UT)

>

> I have been struggling with my health for about a year in a half now. I was

feeling really bad last winter and finally was diagnosed with hypothyroid. I was

on 25 mcg levothyroxine. After a month or two of being on it, I felt better than

> It was about 4 months later that I switched pharmacies ( from Walgreens to

Walmart) because the meds were cheaper. A few months later I started not feeling

September I was unable to function again. I have been sick since. This is taking

change a thing (tsh was 3.5 then). I got so bad all I did for two months was see

could do for me. 8 trips to the ER, and no help there either. I saw 2 endos at

that point because I figured all my tests are fine, it has to be my

thyroid...these doctors are wrong. They diagnosed me at that point with hashi's.

But said this changes nothing. I switched to synthroid upon their

recommendation.

> I was still feeling very ill, so I found an endo at Northwestern in Chicago,

who I figured had to be more knowledgeable then these quacks I've been seeing.

She upped my dose to 50mcg. I started to feel better. I still did not feel good,

but I was able to at least function, even though not at my normal level. I wait

7 weeks to get my tsh checked and at that point was feeling quite crappy again.

Upped my dose to 75mcg after tsh came back 2.05. (sorry I don't have all the

reference ranges, I have piles of tests I would have to go through). Within a

few days I felt the brain fog lift, and felt a bit better, then I got way worse

again. I switched back to levothyroxine from Walgreens, because I knew I had no

problem on that particular kind. It's been 5 days on that, and I am starting to

feel normal. But after this long I don't even know what it is like to feel

normal...or what normal even is for that matter.

> I have had a few days of better before, so I'm anxious that its not going to

last. But I'm really hoping it does. My doctor also told me that hashimotos

point I'm looking for advice. I don't know where to turn anymore, I wish I could

reading.

>

Thanks! I'll check that out.

Have you read Hope for Hashimoto's by Dr. Haskell? Here's a link to his site and videos: http://hopeforhashimotos.com/dr-alexander-haskell-n-d/

I am struggling some on generic Synthroid after a month of feeling quite good. Thinking the addition of T3 may help. See my Endo on Tuesday.

>

> I have been struggling with my health for about a year in a half now. I was feeling really bad last winter and finally was diagnosed with hypothyroid. I was on 25 mcg levothyroxine. After a month or two of being on it, I felt better than I had in years. I realized my thyroid problem was probably going on longer than I knew, I guess I eventually just crashed. I felt like I was dying, the energy to take a shower was too much.

> It was about 4 months later that I switched pharmacies ( from Walgreens to Walmart) because the meds were cheaper. A few months later I started not feeling so hot again. I figured I needed to get my thyroid levels checked again, but I just kept putting it off. Then come August things got worse, and by early September I was unable to function again. I have been sick since. This is taking such an awful toll on me. I went to the dr, and he said thyroid is fine don't change a thing (tsh was 3.5 then). I got so bad all I did for two months was see doctors. Unable to work or care for my 3 year old. I went to my gp and all he did was try to put me on Xanax and SSRI's. I begged him to put me in the hospital because I felt so sick. I left that doc and went to an internest. She put be through the ringer with tests, because she said absolutely do not increase your thyroid meds. Eventually she told me there was nothing more she could do for me. 8 trips to the ER, and no help there either. I saw 2 endos at that point because I figured all my tests are fine, it has to be my thyroid...these doctors are wrong. They diagnosed me at that point with hashi's. But said this changes nothing. I switched to synthroid upon their recommendation.

> I was still feeling very ill, so I found an endo at Northwestern in Chicago, who I figured had to be more knowledgeable then these quacks I've been seeing. She upped my dose to 50mcg. I started to feel better. I still did not feel good, but I was able to at least function, even though not at my normal level. I wait 7 weeks to get my tsh checked and at that point was feeling quite crappy again. Upped my dose to 75mcg after tsh came back 2.05. (sorry I don't have all the reference ranges, I have piles of tests I would have to go through). Within a few days I felt the brain fog lift, and felt a bit better, then I got way worse again. I switched back to levothyroxine from Walgreens, because I knew I had no problem on that particular kind. It's been 5 days on that, and I am starting to feel normal. But after this long I don't even know what it is like to feel normal...or what normal even is for that matter.

> I have had a few days of better before, so I'm anxious that its not going to last. But I'm really hoping it does. My doctor also told me that hashimotos means nothing. I am very confused by this because I have been reading the opposite. My thyroid has actually been hurting the last few days too, which is odd. Even the fancy dr. at Northwestern didn't seem any more knowledgeable about my condition than anyone else. It's seems if your symptoms are more than tired and itchy and weird periods then they assume it's not your thyroid. How can they not know that it makes people feel so incredibly ill? I guess at this point I'm looking for advice. I don't know where to turn anymore, I wish I could find a dr. that understood more and if hashimotos matters or not? Thanks for reading.

>

I would also recommend a check on you Vitamin B12 and Ferritin Levels. My daughter, 15, has Hoshimotos and for the last year has been having all the symptoms of needing her dosage upped, but her TSH and Thyroid levels were normal. Then, in October, she simply seemed to fall apart and started to feel so drained it was difficult for her to do anything.The third Doctor I took her to ran a CBC that showed she had Iron Deficient Anemia and more test revealed a Ferritin level of 1 and she had a B12 Deficiency. The Hematologist said that this was a long, slow process of her body slowly loosing its' stores of Iron and in her case, B12. There is a period before your body can not process enough red blood cells (anemia-which show on a CBC) where

people feel crappy as their body prioritizes making red blood cells. If your Ferritin is low or your B12 you can have many of the same symptoms as Hoshimotos. So now the search is on to see what is causing the anemia for my daughter. RA, H Pylori, Celiacs, Lupus, ANA have all been ruled out thankfully.You sound like you are really feeling lousy. I would suggest doing the gluten free thing for awhile. My husband's brother and Dad have Celiacs. My husband, who has Hoshimotos, tested negative for the Celiac antibodies, but he went gluten free anyway and feels much better. Three weeks into the diet he said he could not believe how great he felt. I, have Hoshimotos, went gluten free for three months and really did not notice anything. If money or getting a Doctor to order the test is an issue, I have used

Private MD Labs before. You order the test online and they give you a lab slip, you get the test, and they give you access to the results. The Anemia Panel is about $70 and includes a Ferritin and B12 total-along with quite a few other things. There maybe something cheaper online if you look. Your B12 should be over 400-they have not updated the labs to reflect the new Science.Good luck. My daughter told me it was a good thing she became so sick while she was still home because if she was on her own she wouldn't have the energy to try and get well. Michele From:

Gordon To: Thyroiditis Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:41 PM Subject: Re: Re: Thyroid and Hashimotos help

Thanks! I'll check that out.

Have you read Hope for Hashimoto's by Dr. Haskell? Here's a link to his site and videos: http://hopeforhashimotos.com/dr-alexander-haskell-n-d/

I am struggling some on generic Synthroid after a month of feeling quite good. Thinking the addition of T3 may help. See my Endo on Tuesday.

>

> I have been struggling with my health for about a year in a half now. I was feeling really bad last winter and finally was diagnosed with hypothyroid. I was on 25 mcg levothyroxine. After a month or two of being on it, I felt better than I had in years. I realized my thyroid problem was probably going on longer than I knew, I guess I eventually just crashed. I felt like I was dying, the energy to take a shower was too much.

> It was about 4 months later that I switched pharmacies ( from Walgreens to Walmart) because the meds were cheaper. A few months later I started not feeling so hot again. I figured I needed to get my thyroid levels checked again, but I just kept putting it off. Then come August things got worse, and by early September I was unable to function again. I have been sick since. This is taking such an awful toll on me. I went to the dr, and he said thyroid is fine don't change a thing (tsh was 3.5 then). I got so bad all I did for two months was see doctors. Unable to work or care for my 3 year old. I went to my gp and all he did was try to put me on Xanax and SSRI's. I begged him to put me in the hospital because I felt so sick. I left that doc and went to an internest. She put be through the ringer with tests, because she said absolutely do not increase your thyroid meds. Eventually she told me there was nothing more she could do for me. 8 trips to the

ER, and no help there either. I saw 2 endos at that point because I figured all my tests are fine, it has to be my thyroid...these doctors are wrong. They diagnosed me at that point with hashi's. But said this changes nothing. I switched to synthroid upon their recommendation.

> I was still feeling very ill, so I found an endo at Northwestern in Chicago, who I figured had to be more knowledgeable then these quacks I've been seeing. She upped my dose to 50mcg. I started to feel better. I still did not feel good, but I was able to at least function, even though not at my normal level. I wait 7 weeks to get my tsh checked and at that point was feeling quite crappy again. Upped my dose to 75mcg after tsh came back 2.05. (sorry I don't have all the reference ranges, I have piles of tests I would have to go through). Within a few days I felt the brain fog lift, and felt a bit better, then I got way worse again. I switched back to levothyroxine from Walgreens, because I knew I had no problem on that particular kind. It's been 5 days on that, and I am starting to feel normal. But after this long I don't even know what it is like to feel normal...or what normal even is for that matter.

> I have had a few days of better before, so I'm anxious that its not going to last. But I'm really hoping it does. My doctor also told me that hashimotos means nothing. I am very confused by this because I have been reading the opposite. My thyroid has actually been hurting the last few days too, which is odd. Even the fancy dr. at Northwestern didn't seem any more knowledgeable about my condition than anyone else. It's seems if your symptoms are more than tired and itchy and weird periods then they assume it's not your thyroid. How can they not know that it makes people feel so incredibly ill? I guess at this point I'm looking for advice. I don't know where to turn anymore, I wish I could find a dr. that understood more and if hashimotos matters or not? Thanks for reading.

>

I didn't really start feeling better until my progesterone and estrogen started to balance out. I was registering very low on progesterone and really high in estrogen. My adrenal levels were really low as well. My vitamin and mineral levels were dangerously low. Now I take a lot of vitamins and mineral supplements and I if I skip my Isocort for my adrenal support, I just want to sleep.There are so many important parts that your thyroid affects, you might want to make sure your body is also getting what it needs to support your thyroid. So many of us are on gluten free diets, and have learned what our allergies are to help keep us in balance.Best of luck with helping you figure it out. It's been three and a half years since I was diagnosed and I am learning all the time. Be patient with yourself; i recommend that you Keep track of what you are eating and how your body reacts after. My journal helped me guitar out how to help myself faster than my tests.SonyaSent from my iPhone

I have been struggling with my health for about a year in a half now. I was feeling really bad last winter and finally was diagnosed with hypothyroid. I was on 25 mcg levothyroxine. After a month or two of being on it, I felt better than I had in years. I realized my thyroid problem was probably going on longer than I knew, I guess I eventually just crashed. I felt like I was dying, the energy to take a shower was too much.

It was about 4 months later that I switched pharmacies ( from Walgreens to Walmart) because the meds were cheaper. A few months later I started not feeling so hot again. I figured I needed to get my thyroid levels checked again, but I just kept putting it off. Then come August things got worse, and by early September I was unable to function again. I have been sick since. This is taking such an awful toll on me. I went to the dr, and he said thyroid is fine don't change a thing (tsh was 3.5 then). I got so bad all I did for two months was see doctors. Unable to work or care for my 3 year old. I went to my gp and all he did was try to put me on Xanax and SSRI's. I begged him to put me in the hospital because I felt so sick. I left that doc and went to an internest. She put be through the ringer with tests, because she said absolutely do not increase your thyroid meds. Eventually she told me there was nothing more she could do for me. 8 trips to the ER, and no help there either. I saw

2 endos at that point because I figured all my tests are fine, it has to be my thyroid...these doctors are wrong. They diagnosed me at that point with hashi's. But said this changes nothing. I switched to synthroid upon their recommendation.

I was still feeling very ill, so I found an endo at Northwestern in Chicago, who I figured had to be more knowledgeable then these quacks I've been seeing. She upped my dose to 50mcg. I started to feel better. I still did not feel good, but I was able to at least function, even though not at my normal level. I wait 7 weeks to get my tsh checked and at that point was feeling quite crappy again. Upped my dose to 75mcg after tsh came back 2.05. (sorry I don't have all the reference ranges, I have piles of tests I would have to go through). Within a few days I felt the brain fog lift, and felt a bit better, then I got way worse again. I switched back to levothyroxine from Walgreens, because I knew I had no problem on that particular kind. It's been 5 days on that, and I am starting to feel normal. But after this long I don't even know what it is like to feel normal...or what normal even is for that matter.

I have had a few days of better before, so I'm anxious that its not going to last. But I'm really hoping it does. My doctor also told me that hashimotos means nothing. I am very confused by this because I have been reading the opposite. My thyroid has actually been hurting the last few days too, which is odd. Even the fancy dr. at Northwestern didn't seem any more knowledgeable about my condition than anyone else. It's seems if your symptoms are more than tired and itchy and weird periods then they assume it's not your thyroid. How can they not know that it makes people feel so incredibly ill? I guess at this point I'm looking for advice. I don't know where to turn anymore, I wish I could find a dr. that understood more and if hashimotos matters or not? Thanks for reading.

Your story sounds so familiar to me as i went through the same struggles! I'm still not 100%, but changing to Natural thyroid (with T3) in it helped so much! Just an idea to try. The old (and better) me slowly started to come back after switching to natural thyroid. I know it doesn't work for some people, but that is what helped me!

Good luck!

To: Thyroiditis From: sarah7246@...Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 20:27:07 +0000Subject: Thyroid and Hashimotos help

I have been struggling with my health for about a year in a half now. I was feeling really bad last winter and finally was diagnosed with hypothyroid. I was on 25 mcg levothyroxine. After a month or two of being on it, I felt better than I had in years. I realized my thyroid problem was probably going on longer than I knew, I guess I eventually just crashed. I felt like I was dying, the energy to take a shower was too much. It was about 4 months later that I switched pharmacies ( from Walgreens to Walmart) because the meds were cheaper. A few months later I started not feeling so hot again. I figured I needed to get my thyroid levels checked again, but I just kept putting it off. Then come August things got worse, and by early September I was unable to function again. I have been sick since. This is taking such an awful toll on me. I went to the dr, and he said thyroid is fine don't change a thing (tsh was 3.5 then). I got so bad all I did for two months was see doctors. Unable to work or care for my 3 year old. I went to my gp and all he did was try to put me on Xanax and SSRI's. I begged him to put me in the hospital because I felt so sick. I left that doc and went to an internest. She put be through the ringer with tests, because she said absolutely do not increase your thyroid meds. Eventually she told me there was nothing more she could do for me. 8 trips to the ER, and no help there either. I saw 2 endos at that point because I figured all my tests are fine, it has to be my thyroid...these doctors are wrong. They diagnosed me at that point with hashi's. But said this changes nothing. I switched to synthroid upon their recommendation. I was still feeling very ill, so I found an endo at Northwestern in Chicago, who I figured had to be more knowledgeable then these quacks I've been seeing. She upped my dose to 50mcg. I started to feel better. I still did not feel good, but I was able to at least function, even though not at my normal level. I wait 7 weeks to get my tsh checked and at that point was feeling quite crappy again. Upped my dose to 75mcg after tsh came back 2.05. (sorry I don't have all the reference ranges, I have piles of tests I would have to go through). Within a few days I felt the brain fog lift, and felt a bit better, then I got way worse again. I switched back to levothyroxine from Walgreens, because I knew I had no problem on that particular kind. It's been 5 days on that, and I am starting to feel normal. But after this long I don't even know what it is like to feel normal...or what normal even is for that matter. I have had a few days of better before, so I'm anxious that its not going to last. But I'm really hoping it does. My doctor also told me that hashimotos means nothing. I am very confused by this because I have been reading the opposite. My thyroid has actually been hurting the last few days too, which is odd. Even the fancy dr. at Northwestern didn't seem any more knowledgeable about my condition than anyone else. It's seems if your symptoms are more than tired and itchy and weird periods then they assume it's not your thyroid. How can they not know that it makes people feel so incredibly ill? I guess at this point I'm looking for advice. I don't know where to turn anymore, I wish I could find a dr. that understood more and if hashimotos matters or not? Thanks for reading.

hi kristal,

thank you so much for that link to dr. alexander haskell. i have watched about

4 videos so far and am just beginning to understand what happens with

hashimotos. this information is so important for me to get on the right track.

i am taking notes while i listen and perhaps have a list of things ready to say

when i see the endo again. actually what i'd like to do, is strap my endo

into a chair and make him watch the videos. it makes me nuts that m.d. s

treating us know so little.

for example i was having a reaction to the synthroid: insomnia, anxiety,

forceful heartbeat, etc. i called his office and his nurse said the doc

wants me to stop it. now i see that i should not have stopped. it was my

thyroid adjusting to the med. i should have been given 1/4th of the dose and

then 1/2, etc until my thyroid adjusted.

so i thank you much again, and i will continue watching and learning. lois

> >>

> >> I have been struggling with my health for about a year in a half now. I was

> >> It was about 4 months later that I switched pharmacies ( from Walgreens to

could do for me. 8 trips to the ER,

> and no help there either. I saw 2 endos at that point because I figured all

my tests are fine, it has to be my thyroid...these doctors are wrong. They

diagnosed me at that point with hashi's. But said this changes nothing. I

switched to synthroid upon their recommendation.

> >> I was still feeling very ill, so I found an endo at Northwestern in

Chicago, who I figured had to be more knowledgeable then these quacks I've been

seeing. She upped my dose to 50mcg. I started to feel better. I still did not

feel good, but I was able to at least function, even though not at my normal

level. I wait 7 weeks to get my tsh checked and at that point was feeling quite

crappy again. Upped my dose to 75mcg after tsh came back 2.05. (sorry I don't

have all the reference ranges, I have piles of tests I would have to go

through). Within a few days I felt the brain fog lift, and felt a bit better,

then I got way worse again. I switched back to levothyroxine from Walgreens,

because I knew I had no problem on that particular kind. It's been 5 days on

that, and I am starting to feel normal. But after this long I don't even know

what it is like to feel normal...or what normal even is for that matter.

> >> I have had a few days of better before, so I'm anxious that its not going

to last. But I'm really hoping it does. My doctor also told me that hashimotos

reading.

> >>

> >

> >

>