RemedySpot.com

metabolic syndrome

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hallo Gill - thanks for your thoughts on metabolic syndrome.

It wasn't my GP, it was (curiously) my oncologist..... who is an extremely caring man who was really trying to help, as he had a colleague who was researching metabolic syndrome

I have also already done the assertive bit with my GP, and had an endo referral. As in my mail this was, unfortunately, a complete waste of time - as the endo was blinkered into "normal range syndrome".

As I indicated, while I have a private referral for blood tests for metabolic syndrome, I'm going to try to add a full thyroid panel to that. My GP has twice requested that a FT3 is added to my NHS tests - and each time the lab refuses to do so stating that my FT4 and TSH results don't justify it.... seems like the NHS lab has the final say, not the GP :o(

Sandy

-----Original Message-----From: thyroid treatment [mailto:thyroid treatment ]On Behalf Of GillSent: Sunday, 02 September, 2007 20:17thyroid treatment Subject: metabolic syndrome

Hi all,Interesting to read the post about the GP thinking metabolic syndrome might be the cause of symptoms. I worked with a NHS dietician before I got diagnosed and she said maybe its Metabolic Syndrome (though she did say most GPs dont know about this). When I read up on this I was convinced that was my problem, then the rheumatologist said I had fibromyalgia - which led me to finding the truth that it was actually hypothyroidism. I think metabolic syndrome really is hypoT but because of the stupid belief that the reference range is the Normal range, they have had to invent something else!I got diagnosed by the endocrinologist after I had Nptech do my ft3 and ft4 and brow beat my GP into referring me!! There is something in counselling/assertive training, called the broken record technique, which basically means you sit tight and repeat things like ' yes I understand what you are saying, but I would still like you to refer me' - you keep repeating this (like a broken record) and changing your words but the meaning is the same until they give in - they being the GP!!! worth a try if you are struggling to get referred!Gill

Hi Sandy - in many places the T3 tests are by consultant request only, so I guess you are right that the labs have the final say. I did speak to the pathology lab manager (as I work in the NHS) and he said that the T3 was only indicated if it was to diagnose hyperthyroidism!! Id be inclined to add it to the blood request form when next at the hospital!!

Gill

RE: metabolic syndrome

Hallo Gill - thanks for your thoughts on metabolic syndrome.

It wasn't my GP, it was (curiously) my oncologist..... who is an extremely caring man who was really trying to help, as he had a colleague who was researching metabolic syndrome

I have also already done the assertive bit with my GP, and had an endo

Sadly Sandy - I think the only way to get your Free T3 tested is through a private laboratory like NPTech Services, and I would seriously recommend that you do this. It is only by testing that you know whether or not you are making enough T3 - and this is the active hormone that makes ever cell in your body function.

Luv - Sheila

My GP has twice requested that a FT3 is added to my NHS tests - and each time the lab refuses to do so stating that my FT4 and TSH results don't justify it.... seems like the NHS lab has the final say, not the GP :o(

Sandy

-----Original Message-----From: thyroid treatment [mailto:thyroid treatment ]On Behalf Of GillSent: Sunday, 02 September, 2007 20:17thyroid treatment Subject: metabolic syndrome

Hi all,Interesting to read the post about the GP thinking metabolic syndrome might be the cause of symptoms. I worked with a NHS dietician before I got diagnosed and she said maybe its Metabolic Syndrome (though she did say most GPs dont know about this). When I read up on this I was convinced that was my problem, then the rheumatologist said I had fibromyalgia - which led me to finding the truth that it was actually hypothyroidism. I think metabolic syndrome really is hypoT but because of the stupid belief that the reference range is the Normal range, they have had to invent something else!I got diagnosed by the endocrinologist after I had Nptech do my ft3 and ft4 and brow beat my GP into referring me!! There is something in counselling/assertive training, called the broken record technique, which basically means you sit tight and repeat things like ' yes I understand what you are saying, but I would still like you to refer me' - you keep repeating this (like a broken record) and changing your words but the meaning is the same until they give in - they being the GP!!! worth a try if you are struggling to get referred!Gill

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.484 / Virus Database: 269.13.2/985 - Release Date: 02/09/2007 16:32

Hi Sheila

Thanks for your message.

That's why I've been procrastinating about the Metabolic Syndrome

test suggested by my lovely oncologist, who is trying to help me...

as I want to ask him to add the thyroid tests to the request with

County Pathology, as they'll also do the FT3. I appreciate how

important it is, which is why I've been trying to push for it for

months now.

Had a reminder from the Dr's secretary when I got home yesterday, so

will call and ask her about adding these....

How long do you think I should stop my NAE and Thyrocomplex for....

so that I get the best advantage of the tests ? I don't want to

waste the opportunity by still having any benefit from the

supplements in my system.

Best wishes

Sandy

>

> Sadly Sandy - I think the only way to get your Free T3 tested is

through a private laboratory like NPTech Services, and I would

seriously recommend that you do this. It is only by testing that you

know whether or not you are making enough T3 - and this is the active

hormone that makes ever cell in your body function.

>

> Luv - Sheila

> My GP has twice requested that a FT3 is added to my NHS tests -

and each time the lab refuses to do so stating that my FT4 and TSH

results don't justify it.... seems like the NHS lab has the final

say, not the GP :o(

>

> Sandy

>

Hi Sandy

Do you think you could also ask for your Ferritin (stored iron)to be

tested as it is quite surprising how many patients suffer with this,

and if your Ferritin level is low, you get all the symptoms of

hypothyroidism. You must check this out.

I think if you stop the Thyrocomplex for a week before your test that

should be OK, and as far as I am aware, stopping your Adrenal

glandulars wouldn't make any difference,so you should be able to

carry on using these, though no doubt somebody will come along and

tell us otherwise if they know it does make a difference.

Luv - Sheila

>

> How long do you think I should stop my NAE and Thyrocomplex

for....

> so that I get the best advantage of the tests ? I don't want to

> waste the opportunity by still having any benefit from the

> supplements in my system.

>

Thanks for that Sheila..... will do my best to add to the list !

Best wishes

Sandy

>

>

> Hi Sandy

>

> Do you think you could also ask for your Ferritin (stored iron)to

be

> tested as it is quite surprising how many patients suffer with

this, and if your Ferritin level is low, you get all the symptoms of

> hypothyroidism. You must check this out.

>

> I think if you stop the Thyrocomplex for a week before your test

that

> should be OK, and as far as I am aware, stopping your Adrenal

> glandulars wouldn't make any difference,so you should be able to

> carry on using these, though no doubt somebody will come along and

> tell us otherwise if they know it does make a difference.

>

> Luv - Sheila

> > How long do you think I should stop my NAE and Thyrocomplex

> for....

> > so that I get the best advantage of the tests ? I don't want to

> > waste the opportunity by still having any benefit from the

> > supplements in my system.

When I first started taking T3 my GP wanted me tested and he too put on the test form "taking T2" - and they still did not do it.

Lilian

I think that you must have come across one of the many local variations between PCT’s. My GP has no problem with getting T3 tested- she just puts ’taking T3’ on the bloods form. BUT I don’t know if it would be done for anyone not taking T3.

Many thanks for this , it is something to make our members aware of. For those of you who are taking synthetic T3 or Armour Thyroid and you want to know your Free T3 level, ask your doctor to write on the blood form - "taking T3". Mind you, its a bit daft really 'cos if you are taking T3, your level should be pretty good. It's those people taking T4 only or no thyroid medication that need their Free T3 testing.

Luv - Sheila

RE: metabolic syndrome

Hi Sheila , Sandy,

I think that you must have come across one of the many local variations between PCT’s. My GP has no problem with getting T3 tested- she just puts ’taking T3’ on the bloods form. BUT I don’t know if it would be done for anyone not taking T3.

-----Original Message-----From: thyroid treatment [mailto:thyroid treatment ] On Behalf Of sheilaturnerSent: 04 September 2007 09:18thyroid treatment Subject: Re: metabolic syndrome

Sadly Sandy - I think the only way to get your Free T3 tested is through a private laboratory like NPTech Services, and I would seriously recommend that you do this. It is only by testing that you know whether or not you are making enough T3 - and this is the active hormone that makes ever cell in your body function.

Luv - Sheila

My GP has twice requested that a FT3 is added to my NHS tests - and each time the lab refuses to do so stating that my FT4 and TSH results don't justify it.... seems like the NHS lab has the final say, not the GP :o(

Sandy

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.485 / Virus Database: 269.13.5/988 - Release Date: 04/09/2007 09:14

• 1 year later...