RemedySpot.com

Re: New member: Cure for bronchiectasis?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Welcome, Ad,

I was diagnosed a very long time ago... No, there’s no cure I’ve yet heard of, and continual abx (antibiotics) will eventually result in your ‘bugs’ becoming resistant, you will likely develop bowel/gut problems, candida infections (fungal – not pleasant orally, in lungs, skin sores etc) and if use steroids with any regularity almost certainly will develop osteoporosis. Your 3rd Dr sounds closer to the mark – let the infections guide the dose and type of ab used.

For further info, web-search <bronchiectasis> and ‘surf’. It is an idiopathic condition, degenerative and one article I came across suggested it should be classed as a syndrome, as there are typically a bunch of other symptoms which go along with this rather unsociable and uncomfortable condition.

Re abx resistance – it’s good to know what your particular ‘bug’ is – eg staph, pseudomonas etc, to tailor the ab to the infection. Also, typically, there can be more than one bug... Resistance depends on a number of factors, eg years of same one, bug not finished off before ceasing a course (very hard to tell), and over-use – yes, it’s a bit like walking a tightrope! But there are good times, when you’re well, and you really appreciate them!

cheers

joy

Hi Joy, Thank you so much for your helpful information. It is a very scary disease and I'm grateful for a support group like this that can help. How long did you use antibiotics before the side effects or resistance kicked in? Has your disease progressed (and if so, how quickly) or is has it pretty much been stable? Of course I'm worried about my prognosis and my life expectancy. Take care, Cassiejoy hensby wrote: Welcome, Ad,I was diagnosed a very long time ago... No, there’s no cure I’ve yet heard of, and continual abx (antibiotics) will eventually result in your ‘bugs’ becoming resistant, you will likely develop bowel/gut problems, candida infections (fungal – not pleasant orally, in lungs, skin sores etc) and if use steroids with any regularity almost certainly will develop osteoporosis. Your 3rd Dr sounds closer to the mark – let the infections guide the dose and type of ab used. For further info, web-search <bronchiectasis> and ‘surf’. It is an idiopathic condition, degenerative and one article I came across suggested it should be classed as a syndrome, as there are typically a bunch of other symptoms which go along with this rather unsociable and

uncomfortable condition.Re abx resistance – it’s good to know what your particular ‘bug’ is – eg staph, pseudomonas etc, to tailor the ab to the infection. Also, typically, there can be more than one bug... Resistance depends on a number of factors, eg years of same one, bug not finished off before ceasing a course (very hard to tell), and over-use – yes, it’s a bit like walking a tightrope! But there are good times, when you’re well, and you really appreciate them! cheersjoy

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.