RemedySpot.com

weight gain with bronchiectasis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Marilyn and Sandie, Thanks for your suggestions regarding weight gain products. I started back on the weight gain diet that my first dietitian gave me. I was using Carnation Instant Breakfast which is available at most grocery stores. I put it in the blender with almond butter or peanut butter for good fats. I also eat walnuts and almonds on my cereal in addition to yogurt. One of the respiratory therapists told me that I would more likely get pneumonia if I went on a high dairy diet which produces more mucus, but I know that I have to regain the weight I lost. If I do get pneumonia, I loose about 5 to 7 lbs as the IV antibiotics cause me to have diarrhea. My pulmonary doctor is very concerned about my weight loss, and I am too. The vanilla is more versatile since I can add fruits like blueberries, bananas, strawberries, etc. I was told by my

infectious disease doctor, whose husband is a gastroenterologist in the same group practice as mine, to avoid chocolate and mint as she thinks that I may have silent GERD. There goes my Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies due to arrive next month. I take Prilosec OTC just as a precaution on her advice and my gastroenterologist. Thank you both for your good advice. Marilyn - When I go to Chicago again, I will ask my son or daughter to take me to St. . My daughter lived in Naperville and several western Chicago suburbs for several years but now lives in Wheeling. My son lives near Wrigley Field but is moving to ton where his office is located. Norma (near Austin, TX)

Hi Norma, your fat and food sugestions sound like good ones. Do you eat fatty fish like salmon and sardines? Try both and fish oil, too. It's really good for the lungs and heart and breasts, they say. I get Nordic Naturals (in a pretty dark blue glass bottle), recommended by Dr. Weil, whom I've been following for years. Have you tried starting heavy doses of probiotics before and during the times you take antibiotics? They should help quite a bit. I take them with keifer or yogurt and get the benefit of the good bugs in those foods, too.

Kay

-------------- Original message --------------

Hi Marilyn and Sandie,

Thanks for your suggestions regarding weight gain products. I started back on the weight gain diet that my first dietitian gave me. I was using Carnation Instant Breakfast which is available at most grocery stores. I put it in the blender with almond butter or peanut butter for good fats. I also eat walnuts and almonds on my cereal in addition to yogurt. One of the respiratory therapists told me that I would more likely get pneumonia if I went on a high dairy diet which produces more mucus, but I know that I have to regain the weight I lost. If I do get pneumonia, I loose about 5 to 7 lbs as the IV antibiotics cause me to have diarrhea. My pulmonary doctor is very concerned about my weight loss, and I am too.

The vanilla is more versatile since I can add fruits like blueberries, bananas, strawberries, etc. I was told by my infectious disease doctor, whose husband is a gastroenterologist in the same group practice as mine, to avoid chocolate and mint as she thinks that I may have silent GERD. There goes my Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies due to arrive next month. I take Prilosec OTC just as a precaution on her advice and my gastroenterologist.

Thank you both for your good advice.

Marilyn - When I go to Chicago again, I will ask my son or daughter to take me to St. . My daughter lived in Naperville and several western Chicago suburbs for several years but now lives in Wheeling. My son lives near Wrigley Field but is moving to ton where his office is located.

Norma (near Austin, TX)

Norma,

Thanks for all the good advise on weight gain. I have been able to keep my weight up to 129 by eating only healthy food. I especially like avocados and some of the heartier soups like Progresso.

That would be very cool if you came to St. . Geneva, just next door is also a great historical town with great unique shops and restaurants. I used to live in Downers Grove, near Naperville, and am very familiar with the entire Chicago area. If you are coming let me know, maybe we can get together.

MarilynStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Have you tried lifting hand weights and doing strength exercises at home for building muscle mass, or using the machines at a gym? They sell very small weights for us ladies...

I went to pulm rehab last spring..I was so riddled w/infection that I was having a really difficult time functioning..so I stopped going. I have small hand weights at home..and while at Pulm Rehab they showed us some exercises to do..not so much for building muscle mass..but for stretching.. I guess I need to get away from this computer..and start taking better care of myself..n'est pas?

Sandie

Never Look Down on SomeoneUnless You're Willing to Help Them Up

I, too, find myself at the computer for far too long sometimes and know it has affected my general exercise level. But, there is so much you can do on the computer and it's interesting!

Kay

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Sunniesback55@...

Have you tried lifting hand weights and doing strength exercises at home for building muscle mass, or using the machines at a gym? They sell very small weights for us ladies...

I went to pulm rehab last spring..I was so riddled w/infection that I was having a really difficult time functioning..so I stopped going. I have small hand weights at home..and while at Pulm Rehab they showed us some exercises to do..not so much for building muscle mass..but for stretching.. I guess I need to get away from this computer..and start taking better care of myself..n'est pas?

Sandie

Never Look Down on SomeoneUnless You're Willing to Help Them Up