RemedySpot.com

Re: Weigh Ins?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

There a site where one can check out a charity before giving to ensure you agree with the way they do things and it's also a good way to find out more about them - lots of info at a glance: The Charity Navigator (

www.charitynavigator.org/). If they aren't at that site (because they are too small, too new, etc) you can find their 990 (the form they use to report their financial info to the IRS) at Guide Star (

www.guidestar.org)

There are many factors to look at, esp if one doesn't know much about the org. One place I always look is to see how much the top earners make. My friend was going to give to an agency because they had sent her a request and their stuff looked good to her. Their mission was to help people in poverty and their president or director earned over $600,000 a year. But I feel there's no one factor that would disqualify an agency.

Generally, just like buying fresh produce and meat locally, giving locally suits me better. The big places spend so much of their money on getting more money and paying their staff. There are so many other reasons. For instance, I'd never give to the Red Cross. Once they get that big, corruption of many kinds seems to set in. Too much of their dollars go the wrong way. I worked with a local agency and saw what creative bookkeeping can do so I know that just looking at their financial statements don't give the whole story.

Probably you disagree with me on this one Janet. My intention isn't to persuade anyone not to give, but to just think of all the factors. Also, I'm not saying all local groups are okay either, but it's easier to tell what they are doing and how they are using their money. The national orgs are great for lobbying and education so they have their place.

Elaine

Here is another one that is soooo easy if we would just make it a habit. I try but some days I forget. Just click on these two sites daily

Click to Give @ The Animal Rescue Site and Click to Give @ The Rainforest Site

. I always do those two and there are some others at the Click to give as well.

Janet

Start the year off right.

Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Thanks, Janet. I will go there

Re: Weigh Ins?

Here is another one that is soooo easy if we would just make it a habit. I try but some days I forget. Just click on these two sites daily Click to Give @ The Animal Rescue Site and Click to Give @ The Rainforest Site . I always do those two and there are some others at the Click to give as well.

Janet

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.0/1218 - Release Date: 1/10/2008 1:32 PM

Generally, just like buying fresh produce and meat locally, giving locally suits me better

Elaine,

I am of two minds on this. On the one hand, one of my new years resolutions is to do more to help the animals in North Carolina because I think every battle should be fought first locally. This is your home, the place that you live, and taking care of it radiates from your house outwards. On the other hand, it takes the combined power, numbers, and money of an agency like the HSUS to match the big guns with the big guns and there are things that simply cannot be dealt with on a local level. They are not local problems. So I fight on both levels - in my town, county and state, and on the broader level for the bigger issues.

JanetStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

I agree, Janet. They both have their place.

Elaine

Generally, just like buying fresh produce and meat locally, giving locally suits me better

Elaine,

I am of two minds on this. On the one hand, one of my new years resolutions is to do more to help the animals in North Carolina because I think every battle should be fought first locally. This is your home, the place that you live, and taking care of it radiates from your house outwards. On the other hand, it takes the combined power, numbers, and money of an agency like the HSUS to match the big guns with the big guns and there are things that simply cannot be dealt with on a local level. They are not local problems. So I fight on both levels - in my town, county and state, and on the broader level for the bigger issues.

Janet

Start the year off right.

Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

To: thefatmanwalking_group From: elrole@...Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:10:33 -0800Subject: Re: Weigh Ins?

I agree, Janet. They both have their place.

Elaine

On 1/11/08, DreamOn145aol <DreamOn145aol> wrote:

In a message dated 1/10/2008 9:10:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, elrolegmail writes:

Elaine,

Janet

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more