RemedySpot.com

Re: beans

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks for the recipe, Elaine. It sounds like my mother's. I can't wait to try it.

beans

Here's the recipe. Today I got the bright idea to mix these beans with rice - more rice than beans. Kinda bland, which is surprising because the beans are tasty. I never put salt in them but the rice and beans needed some for my taste. I probably won't have them with the rice again, however in the past, I often put a little rice into the beans for protein but not enough to change the taste and that was good.

Enjoy

Elaine

Dried Beans in Seasoned Tomato Sauce

Yield: 12 servings

1 lb dried marrow or pinto beans

6 cups water

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 Tbsp vegetable oil

1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (about 3 cloves)

1-1/2 lb onions, thickly sliced (about 4 medium)

1/4 tp marjoram or oregano

1/4 tp thyme

1 bay leaf, crumbled

2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4 large fresh tomatoes

2 tp salt (optional)

1. Wash beans and soak overnight. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 1 hour. Drain thoroughly and wash with cold water.

2. Heat oils in a heavy iron pot. Add garlic, onions and herbs. Sauté until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.

3. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until well-blended.

4. Add drained beans, salt and just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 1 hour.

calories 184

sodium 100

cholesterol 31

potassium 589

protein 10

fiber 11

fat 3

exchanges: per 1-cup serving

2 vegetables, 1-1/2 bread

1 fat

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1214 - Release Date: 1/8/2008 1:38 PM

Hi Elaine, I use only the basic food sometimes mixed together or

sometimes placed separately on the plate. I never use salt, vegetable

oil, or spice. But I do use salad dressing or margarine i put on top

of the food- I find there is enough salt in the canned beans and in

the salad dressing or margarine for taste. My Mother's Mother was

from England(1910) and consequently Mom's cooking skills and foods

were along the English lines, but I have sort of got my own tastebud

now.

Some people have said to me " how can you stand to eat that way? "

I respond and say " i don't know "

Today i opened a tin of chic peas and cooked one cup of brown rice

that I store in the fridge.

This will last me a few days. I add some frozen veggies or a

microwaved potatoe, or raw brocolli, or scramble eggs, or chopped

chicken franks, or roasted ground turkey, or roasted ground pork, or

sardines, or tinned mackeral, or fozen fish, or whatever I see

interesting at the food store. I am sort of a food market aisle

walker, looking for things to add to my chic peas and rice plate, or

meat and potatoe plate next week, and the week after next week it'il

be red kidney beans and pasta, or plain beans. It sort of goes like

that, along with the peanut butter sandwich or cheese sandwich for

lunches. Today I had the main meal early, so I'ii have the lunch

sandwich for a snack before I go to sleep. or have it for breakfast

in the morning. Sort of like that you know

regards Bill

>

> Here's the recipe. Today I got the bright idea to mix these beans

with rice

> - more rice than beans. Kinda bland, which is surprising because

the beans

> are tasty. I never put salt in them but the rice and beans needed

some for

> my taste. I probably won't have them with the rice again, however

in the

> past, I often put a little rice into the beans for protein but not

enough to

> change the taste and that was good.

>

> Enjoy

>

> Elaine

>

>

> Dried Beans in Seasoned Tomato Sauce

>

>

>

> Yield: 12 servings

>

>

>

>

>

> 1 lb dried marrow or pinto beans

>

> 6 cups water

>

> 1 Tbsp olive oil

>

> 1 Tbsp vegetable oil

>

> 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (about 3 cloves)

>

> 1-1/2 lb onions, thickly sliced (about 4 medium)

>

> 1/4 tp marjoram or oregano

>

> 1/4 tp thyme

>

> 1 bay leaf, crumbled

>

> 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

>

> 1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4 large fresh tomatoes

>

> 2 tp salt (optional)

>

>

>

> 1. Wash beans and soak overnight. Bring to a

boil, cover,

> and simmer 1 hour. Drain thoroughly and wash with cold water.

>

>

>

> 2. Heat oils in a heavy iron pot. Add garlic,

onions and

> herbs. Sauté until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.

>

>

>

> 3. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until well-blended.

>

>

>

> 4. Add drained beans, salt and just enough water

to cover.

> Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 1 hour.

>

>

>

>

>

> calories 184

>

> sodium 100

>

> cholesterol 31

>

> potassium 589

>

> protein 10

>

> fiber 11

>

> fat 3

>

>

>

>

>

> exchanges: per 1-cup serving

> 2 vegetables, 1-1/2 bread

> 1 fat

>

Bill, there's something about canned beans, with the slight exception of kidney beans, that turns me off to them. Though I imagine that I eat enough of them in other people's dishes. I've never liked chickpeas until I started going to a nearby Indian (India) restaurant that uses them in many wonderful ways. Nothing " plain " about their food.

I often like to eat fresh produce plain, because there are certain things that I like so much and want to fully taste them. Mostly though, I feel spices give us the joy of eating and discovering new things or new ways to have old things. Now that fresh produce lacks taste (boy, getting rid of the family farms was such a good idea (not) wasn't it).spicing them up really helps. I love the taste of spices in the way I love the taste of any food. Not for every palate though and I'm not one to like really spicy food, but that usually means hot spicy now that I think of it.

Elaine

Hi Elaine, I use only the basic food sometimes mixed together or sometimes placed separately on the plate. I never use salt, vegetable oil, or spice. But I do use salad dressing or margarine i put on top of the food- I find there is enough salt in the canned beans and in the salad dressing or margarine for taste. My Mother's Mother was from England(1910) and consequently Mom's cooking skills and foods were along the English lines, but I have sort of got my own tastebud now.Some people have said to me " how can you stand to eat that way? " I respond and say " i don't know " Today i opened a tin of chic peas and cooked one cup of brown rice that I store in the fridge.

This will last me a few days. I add some frozen veggies or a microwaved potatoe, or raw brocolli, or scramble eggs, or chopped chicken franks, or roasted ground turkey, or roasted ground pork, or sardines, or tinned mackeral, or fozen fish, or whatever I see interesting at the food store. I am sort of a food market aisle walker, looking for things to add to my chic peas and rice plate, or meat and potatoe plate next week, and the week after next week it'il

be red kidney beans and pasta, or plain beans. It sort of goes like that, along with the peanut butter sandwich or cheese sandwich for lunches. Today I had the main meal early, so I'ii have the lunch sandwich for a snack before I go to sleep. or have it for breakfast in the morning. Sort of like that you knowregards Bill.>> Here's the recipe. Today I got the bright idea to mix these beans with rice> - more rice than beans. Kinda bland, which is surprising because the beans

> are tasty. I never put salt in them but the rice and beans needed some for> my taste. I probably won't have them with the rice again, however in the> past, I often put a little rice into the beans for protein but not enough to> change the taste and that was good.> > Enjoy> > Elaine> > > Dried Beans in Seasoned Tomato Sauce> > > > Yield: 12 servings

> > > > > > 1 lb dried marrow or pinto beans> > 6 cups water> > 1 Tbsp olive oil> > 1 Tbsp vegetable oil> > 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (about 3 cloves)

> > 1-1/2 lb onions, thickly sliced (about 4 medium)> > 1/4 tp marjoram or oregano> > 1/4 tp thyme> > 1 bay leaf, crumbled> > 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

> > 1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4 large fresh tomatoes> > 2 tp salt (optional)> > > > 1. Wash beans and soak overnight. Bring to a boil, cover,> and simmer 1 hour. Drain thoroughly and wash with cold water.

> > > > 2. Heat oils in a heavy iron pot. Add garlic, onions and> herbs. Sauté until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.> > > > 3. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until well-blended.

> > > > 4. Add drained beans, salt and just enough water to cover.> Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 1 hour.> > > > > > calories 184

> > sodium 100> > cholesterol 31> > potassium 589> > protein 10> > fiber 11> > fat 3> > > > > > exchanges: per 1-cup serving

> 2 vegetables, 1-1/2 bread> 1 fat>

Sounds like you have some interesting, innovative and healthy habits, Bill. You did not name one thing that you cook that is not good for you. That and the swimming make you an inspiration to others of us. Thanks.

W

Re: beans

Hi Elaine, I use only the basic food sometimes mixed together or sometimes placed separately on the plate. I never use salt, vegetable oil, or spice. But I do use salad dressing or margarine i put on top of the food- I find there is enough salt in the canned beans and in the salad dressing or margarine for taste. My Mother's Mother was from England(1910) and consequently Mom's cooking skills and foods were along the English lines, but I have sort of got my own tastebud now.Some people have said to me "how can you stand to eat that way?"I respond and say "i don't know"Today i opened a tin of chic peas and cooked one cup of brown rice that I store in the fridge.This will last me a few days. I add some frozen veggies or a microwaved potatoe, or raw brocolli, or scramble eggs, or chopped chicken franks, or roasted ground turkey, or roasted ground pork, or sardines, or tinned mackeral, or fozen fish, or whatever I see interesting at the food store. I am sort of a food market aisle walker, looking for things to add to my chic peas and rice plate, or meat and potatoe plate next week, and the week after next week it'il be red kidney beans and pasta, or plain beans. It sort of goes like that, along with the peanut butter sandwich or cheese sandwich for lunches. Today I had the main meal early, so I'ii have the lunch sandwich for a snack before I go to sleep. or have it for breakfast in the morning. Sort of like that you knowregards Bill.>> Here's the recipe. Today I got the bright idea to mix these beans with rice> - more rice than beans. Kinda bland, which is surprising because the beans> are tasty. I never put salt in them but the rice and beans needed some for> my taste. I probably won't have them with the rice again, however in the> past, I often put a little rice into the beans for protein but not enough to> change the taste and that was good.> > Enjoy> > Elaine> > > Dried Beans in Seasoned Tomato Sauce> > > > Yield: 12 servings> > > > > > 1 lb dried marrow or pinto beans> > 6 cups water> > 1 Tbsp olive oil> > 1 Tbsp vegetable oil> > 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (about 3 cloves)> > 1-1/2 lb onions, thickly sliced (about 4 medium)> > 1/4 tp marjoram or oregano> > 1/4 tp thyme> > 1 bay leaf, crumbled> > 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley> > 1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4 large fresh tomatoes> > 2 tp salt (optional)> > > > 1. Wash beans and soak overnight. Bring to a boil, cover,> and simmer 1 hour. Drain thoroughly and wash with cold water.> > > > 2. Heat oils in a heavy iron pot. Add garlic, onions and> herbs. Sauté until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.> > > > 3. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until well-blended.> > > > 4. Add drained beans, salt and just enough water to cover.> Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 1 hour.> > > > > > calories 184> > sodium 100> > cholesterol 31> > potassium 589> > protein 10> > fiber 11> > fat 3> > > > > > exchanges: per 1-cup serving> 2 vegetables, 1-1/2 bread> 1 fat>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.0/1218 - Release Date: 1/10/2008 1:32 PM

Do they carry Trappey's brand canned vegetables in other parts of the country? There is not one vegetable that they carry that I do not like. They are cooked and seasoned southern style, so may not be everyone's cup of tea, but everyone in my family likes them and consider their green lima beans the only ones to buy. My daughter is also especially fond of their blackeyed peas. Now we find the Glory (advertised as sensibly seasoned) vegetables. They taste like they have quite a bit of salt but according to the can they really do not, more of an illusion created by other seasonings, I guess. Homemade is best, but canned is good when you are short on time.

W

Re: Re: beans

Bill, there's something about canned beans, with the slight exception of kidney beans, that turns me off to them. Though I imagine that I eat enough of them in other people's dishes. I've never liked chickpeas until I started going to a nearby Indian (India) restaurant that uses them in many wonderful ways. Nothing "plain" about their food.

I often like to eat fresh produce plain, because there are certain things that I like so much and want to fully taste them. Mostly though, I feel spices give us the joy of eating and discovering new things or new ways to have old things. Now that fresh produce lacks taste (boy, getting rid of the family farms was such a good idea (not) wasn't it).spicing them up really helps. I love the taste of spices in the way I love the taste of any food. Not for every palate though and I'm not one to like really spicy food, but that usually means hot spicy now that I think of it.

Elaine

Hi Elaine, I use only the basic food sometimes mixed together or sometimes placed separately on the plate. I never use salt, vegetable oil, or spice. But I do use salad dressing or margarine i put on top of the food- I find there is enough salt in the canned beans and in the salad dressing or margarine for taste. My Mother's Mother was from England(1910) and consequently Mom's cooking skills and foods were along the English lines, but I have sort of got my own tastebud now.Some people have said to me "how can you stand to eat that way?"I respond and say "i don't know"Today i opened a tin of chic peas and cooked one cup of brown rice that I store in the fridge. This will last me a few days. I add some frozen veggies or a microwaved potatoe, or raw brocolli, or scramble eggs, or chopped chicken franks, or roasted ground turkey, or roasted ground pork, or sardines, or tinned mackeral, or fozen fish, or whatever I see interesting at the food store. I am sort of a food market aisle walker, looking for things to add to my chic peas and rice plate, or meat and potatoe plate next week, and the week after next week it'il be red kidney beans and pasta, or plain beans. It sort of goes like that, along with the peanut butter sandwich or cheese sandwich for lunches. Today I had the main meal early, so I'ii have the lunch sandwich for a snack before I go to sleep. or have it for breakfast in the morning. Sort of like that you knowregards Bill.>> Here's the recipe. Today I got the bright idea to mix these beans with rice> - more rice than beans. Kinda bland, which is surprising because the beans > are tasty. I never put salt in them but the rice and beans needed some for> my taste. I probably won't have them with the rice again, however in the> past, I often put a little rice into the beans for protein but not enough to> change the taste and that was good.> > Enjoy> > Elaine> > > Dried Beans in Seasoned Tomato Sauce> > > > Yield: 12 servings > > > > > > 1 lb dried marrow or pinto beans> > 6 cups water> > 1 Tbsp olive oil> > 1 Tbsp vegetable oil> > 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (about 3 cloves) > > 1-1/2 lb onions, thickly sliced (about 4 medium)> > 1/4 tp marjoram or oregano> > 1/4 tp thyme> > 1 bay leaf, crumbled> > 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley > > 1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4 large fresh tomatoes> > 2 tp salt (optional)> > > > 1. Wash beans and soak overnight. Bring to a boil, cover,> and simmer 1 hour. Drain thoroughly and wash with cold water. > > > > 2. Heat oils in a heavy iron pot. Add garlic, onions and> herbs. Sauté until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.> > > > 3. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until well-blended. > > > > 4. Add drained beans, salt and just enough water to cover.> Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 1 hour.> > > > > > calories 184 > > sodium 100> > cholesterol 31> > potassium 589> > protein 10> > fiber 11> > fat 3> > > > > > exchanges: per 1-cup serving > 2 vegetables, 1-1/2 bread> 1 fat>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.0/1218 - Release Date: 1/10/2008 1:32 PM

I am sort of a food market aisle walker, looking for things to add to my chic peas and rice plate

Bill,

You just cannot know how funny this sounds to someone who is sitting beside an entire bookshelf filled with cookbooks. Can it really be that simple? LOL the concept is beyond me

JanetStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

we find the Glory (advertised as sensibly seasoned) vegetables.

I like the Glory brand for greens.

i know it sounds " " " " " but what else can i say about starting with

the basics like rice and beans.

regards Bill

>

>

> In a message dated 1/10/2008 8:59:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

> wuregan@... writes:

>

> I am sort of a food market aisle

> walker, looking for things to add to my chic peas and rice plate

>

>

> Bill,

>

> You just cannot know how funny this sounds to someone who is

sitting beside

> an entire bookshelf filled with cookbooks. Can it really be that

simple?

> LOL the concept is beyond me

>

> Janet

>

>

>

> **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in

shape.

> http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?

NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

>

Thanks W, my diet is rather ---- well...I guess it's " " " " " "

sort of like ??????, well, I just don't know what it is for sure,

Your broccolli stocks are still being choppped and put into the

noodle soup which makes them chewy rather than crunchy. regards Bill

> >

> > Here's the recipe. Today I got the bright idea to mix these

beans

> with rice

> > - more rice than beans. Kinda bland, which is surprising

because

> the beans

> > are tasty. I never put salt in them but the rice and beans

needed

> some for

> > my taste. I probably won't have them with the rice again,

however

> in the

> > past, I often put a little rice into the beans for protein but

not

> enough to

> > change the taste and that was good.

> >

> > Enjoy

> >

> > Elaine

> >

> >

> > Dried Beans in Seasoned Tomato Sauce

> >

> >

> >

> > Yield: 12 servings

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > 1 lb dried marrow or pinto beans

> >

> > 6 cups water

> >

> > 1 Tbsp olive oil

> >

> > 1 Tbsp vegetable oil

> >

> > 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (about 3 cloves)

> >

> > 1-1/2 lb onions, thickly sliced (about 4 medium)

> >

> > 1/4 tp marjoram or oregano

> >

> > 1/4 tp thyme

> >

> > 1 bay leaf, crumbled

> >

> > 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

> >

> > 1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4 large fresh tomatoes

> >

> > 2 tp salt (optional)

> >

> >

> >

> > 1. Wash beans and soak overnight. Bring to a

> boil, cover,

> > and simmer 1 hour. Drain thoroughly and wash with cold water.

> >

> >

> >

> > 2. Heat oils in a heavy iron pot. Add garlic,

> onions and

> > herbs. Sauté until onions are soft but not brown, about 5

minutes.

> >

> >

> >

> > 3. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until well-blended.

> >

> >

> >

> > 4. Add drained beans, salt and just enough water

> to cover.

> > Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 1 hour.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > calories 184

> >

> > sodium 100

> >

> > cholesterol 31

> >

> > potassium 589

> >

> > protein 10

> >

> > fiber 11

> >

> > fat 3

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > exchanges: per 1-cup serving

> > 2 vegetables, 1-1/2 bread

> > 1 fat

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.0/1218 - Release Date:

1/10/2008 1:32 PM

>

The tins i purchase have a plasic liner over the inside of the metal,

which keeps out the metalic taste of tinned beans, also the Middle

east foods have chick pea mixed with the middle east spice, I think

it's a nearby Lebanese cookery that I had chick peas in a flat bread

sandwich.

> > >

> > > Here's the recipe. Today I got the bright idea to mix these

beans

> > with rice

> > > - more rice than beans. Kinda bland, which is surprising because

> > the beans

> > > are tasty. I never put salt in them but the rice and beans

needed

> > some for

> > > my taste. I probably won't have them with the rice again,

however

> > in the

> > > past, I often put a little rice into the beans for protein but

not

> > enough to

> > > change the taste and that was good.

> > >

> > > Enjoy

> > >

> > > Elaine

> > >

> > >

> > > Dried Beans in Seasoned Tomato Sauce

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Yield: 12 servings

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 1 lb dried marrow or pinto beans

> > >

> > > 6 cups water

> > >

> > > 1 Tbsp olive oil

> > >

> > > 1 Tbsp vegetable oil

> > >

> > > 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (about 3 cloves)

> > >

> > > 1-1/2 lb onions, thickly sliced (about 4 medium)

> > >

> > > 1/4 tp marjoram or oregano

> > >

> > > 1/4 tp thyme

> > >

> > > 1 bay leaf, crumbled

> > >

> > > 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

> > >

> > > 1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4 large fresh tomatoes

> > >

> > > 2 tp salt (optional)

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 1. Wash beans and soak overnight. Bring to a

> > boil, cover,

> > > and simmer 1 hour. Drain thoroughly and wash with cold water.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 2. Heat oils in a heavy iron pot. Add garlic,

> > onions and

> > > herbs. Sauté until onions are soft but not brown, about 5

minutes.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 3. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until well-blended.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 4. Add drained beans, salt and just enough water

> > to cover.

> > > Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 1 hour.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > calories 184

> > >

> > > sodium 100

> > >

> > > cholesterol 31

> > >

> > > potassium 589

> > >

> > > protein 10

> > >

> > > fiber 11

> > >

> > > fat 3

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > exchanges: per 1-cup serving

> > > 2 vegetables, 1-1/2 bread

> > > 1 fat

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Bill,

I just had to pipe in here. It may sound funky, bit warm black beans on a regular salad is fantastic!!!!!All my kids love this, and it's a new twis to an old thing. LOL Leena

Bill, there's something about canned beans, with the slight exception of kidney beans, that turns me off to them. Though I imagine that I eat enough of them in other people's dishes. I've never liked chickpeas until I started going to a nearby Indian (India) restaurant that uses them in many wonderful ways. Nothing "plain" about their food.

Elaine

Hi Elaine, I use only the basic food sometimes mixed together or sometimes placed separately on the plate. I never use salt, vegetable oil, or spice. But I do use salad dressing or margarine i put on top of the food- I find there is enough salt in the canned beans and in the salad dressing or margarine for taste. My Mother's Mother was from England(1910) and consequently Mom's cooking skills and foods were along the English lines, but I have sort of got my own tastebud now.Some people have said to me "how can you stand to eat that way?"I respond and say "i don't know"Today i opened a tin of chic peas and cooked one cup of brown rice that I store in the fridge. This will last me a few days. I add some frozen veggies or a microwaved potatoe, or raw brocolli, or scramble eggs, or chopped chicken franks, or roasted ground turkey, or roasted ground pork, or sardines, or tinned

mackeral, or fozen fish, or whatever I see interesting at the food store. I am sort of a food market aisle walker, looking for things to add to my chic peas and rice plate, or meat and potatoe plate next week, and the week after next week it'il be red kidney beans and pasta, or plain beans. It sort of goes like that, along with the peanut butter sandwich or cheese sandwich for lunches. Today I had the main meal early, so I'ii have the lunch sandwich for a snack before I go to sleep. or have it for breakfast in the morning. Sort of like that you knowregards Bill.>> Here's the recipe. Today I got the bright idea to mix these beans with rice> - more rice

than beans. Kinda bland, which is surprising because the beans > are tasty. I never put salt in them but the rice and beans needed some for> my taste. I probably won't have them with the rice again, however in the> past, I often put a little rice into the beans for protein but not enough to> change the taste and that was good.> > Enjoy> > Elaine> > > Dried Beans in Seasoned Tomato Sauce> > > > Yield: 12 servings > > > > > > 1 lb dried marrow or pinto beans> > 6 cups water> > 1 Tbsp olive oil> > 1 Tbsp vegetable oil> > 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (about 3 cloves) > > 1-1/2 lb onions, thickly sliced (about 4 medium)> > 1/4 tp marjoram or oregano> > 1/4 tp thyme> > 1 bay leaf,

crumbled> > 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley > > 1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4 large fresh tomatoes> > 2 tp salt (optional)> > > > 1. Wash beans and soak overnight. Bring to a boil, cover,> and simmer 1 hour. Drain thoroughly and wash with cold water. > > > > 2. Heat oils in a heavy iron pot. Add garlic, onions and> herbs. Sauté until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.> > > > 3. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until well-blended. > > > > 4. Add drained beans, salt and just enough water to cover.> Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 1 hour.> > > > > > calories 184 > > sodium 100> > cholesterol 31> > potassium 589> > protein 10> > fiber

11> > fat 3> > > > > > exchanges: per 1-cup serving > 2 vegetables, 1-1/2 bread> 1 fat>

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

i know it sounds """"" but what else can i say about starting with the basics like rice and beans.

Bill,

there is noting healthier than beans. I add them to soups and salads all the time. Also, if you look at the Eat to Live site, Dr. Fuhrman recommends eating a cup of beans every day! And from what I can see that is a VERY healthy diet! I try to incorporate a lot of their suggestions, its just too strict for me to follow completely

pipe in here. It may sound funky, bit warm black beans on a regular salad is fantasti

Leena,

In my southwestern salad I put spicy baked tofu, either black beans or dark red kidney beans, corn, onion, red pepper, avacado, lowfat cheese, and a handful of broken tortilla chips. It's WONDERFUL

Your southwestern salad sounds wonderful.

W

In a message dated 1/12/2008 6:41:38 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, peach_hugs writes:

pipe in here. It may sound funky, bit warm black beans on a regular salad is fantasti

Leena,

In my southwestern salad I put spicy baked tofu, either black beans or dark red kidney beans, corn, onion, red pepper, avacado, lowfat cheese, and a handful of broken tortilla chips. It's WONDERFUL

Janet

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1222 - Release Date: 1/13/2008 12:23 PM

S & W has a prespiced Pinto & Pinquinto beans. they are both pretty

good. the only problem i have with them is that they put in a

preservative that makes my hives worse. otherwise, i think they are

the tastiest, i just wish they'd skip the preservative.

laurie

ps. my dads favorite tabasco? was always trappys.

> >

> > Here's the recipe. Today I got the bright idea to mix these beans

> with rice

> > - more rice than beans. Kinda bland, which is surprising because

> the beans

> > are tasty. I never put salt in them but the rice and beans needed

> some for

> > my taste. I probably won't have them with the rice again, however

> in the

> > past, I often put a little rice into the beans for protein but

not

> enough to

> >

> > Enjoy

> >

> > Elaine

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > 6 cups water

> >

> > 1 Tbsp olive oil

> >

> > 1 Tbsp vegetable oil

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > 1/4 tp thyme

> >

> > 1 bay leaf, crumbled

> >

> >

> >

> > 2 tp salt (optional)

> >

> >

> >

> boil, cover,

> >

> >

> >

> onions and

> > herbs. Sauté until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> to cover.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > calories 184

> >

> > sodium 100

> >

> > cholesterol 31

> >

> > potassium 589

> >

> > protein 10

> >

> > fiber 11

> >

> > fat 3

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > 1 fat

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.0/1218 - Release Date:

1/10/2008 1:32 PM

>

i used to think i hated all sorts of vegetables until i had them

cooked Indian or Japanese. now there's all sorts of things i will eat

IF i go to the right restaurant.

laurie

> > >

> > > Here's the recipe. Today I got the bright idea to mix these beans

> > with rice

> > > - more rice than beans. Kinda bland, which is surprising because

> > the beans

> > > are tasty. I never put salt in them but the rice and beans needed

> > some for

> > > my taste. I probably won't have them with the rice again, however

> > in the

> > > past, I often put a little rice into the beans for protein but not

> > enough to

> > > change the taste and that was good.

> > >

> > > Enjoy

> > >

> > > Elaine

> > >

> > >

> > > Dried Beans in Seasoned Tomato Sauce

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Yield: 12 servings

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 1 lb dried marrow or pinto beans

> > >

> > > 6 cups water

> > >

> > > 1 Tbsp olive oil

> > >

> > > 1 Tbsp vegetable oil

> > >

> > > 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (about 3 cloves)

> > >

> > > 1-1/2 lb onions, thickly sliced (about 4 medium)

> > >

> > > 1/4 tp marjoram or oregano

> > >

> > > 1/4 tp thyme

> > >

> > > 1 bay leaf, crumbled

> > >

> > > 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

> > >

> > > 1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4 large fresh tomatoes

> > >

> > > 2 tp salt (optional)

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 1. Wash beans and soak overnight. Bring to a

> > boil, cover,

> > > and simmer 1 hour. Drain thoroughly and wash with cold water.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 2. Heat oils in a heavy iron pot. Add garlic,

> > onions and

> > > herbs. Sauté until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 3. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until well-blended.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 4. Add drained beans, salt and just enough water

> > to cover.

> > > Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 1 hour.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > calories 184

> > >

> > > sodium 100

> > >

> > > cholesterol 31

> > >

> > > potassium 589

> > >

> > > protein 10

> > >

> > > fiber 11

> > >

> > > fat 3

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > exchanges: per 1-cup serving

> > > 2 vegetables, 1-1/2 bread

> > > 1 fat

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

yummmmmm have you ever had the ground meat with cucumber sliced

lebanese sandwhichs? they are wonderful....

laurie

> > > >

> > > > Here's the recipe. Today I got the bright idea to mix these

> beans

> > > with rice

> > > > - more rice than beans. Kinda bland, which is surprising because

> > > the beans

> > > > are tasty. I never put salt in them but the rice and beans

> needed

> > > some for

> > > > my taste. I probably won't have them with the rice again,

> however

> > > in the

> > > > past, I often put a little rice into the beans for protein but

> not

> > > enough to

> > > > change the taste and that was good.

> > > >

> > > > Enjoy

> > > >

> > > > Elaine

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Dried Beans in Seasoned Tomato Sauce

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Yield: 12 servings

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > 1 lb dried marrow or pinto beans

> > > >

> > > > 6 cups water

> > > >

> > > > 1 Tbsp olive oil

> > > >

> > > > 1 Tbsp vegetable oil

> > > >

> > > > 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (about 3 cloves)

> > > >

> > > > 1-1/2 lb onions, thickly sliced (about 4 medium)

> > > >

> > > > 1/4 tp marjoram or oregano

> > > >

> > > > 1/4 tp thyme

> > > >

> > > > 1 bay leaf, crumbled

> > > >

> > > > 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

> > > >

> > > > 1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4 large fresh tomatoes

> > > >

> > > > 2 tp salt (optional)

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > 1. Wash beans and soak overnight. Bring to a

> > > boil, cover,

> > > > and simmer 1 hour. Drain thoroughly and wash with cold water.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > 2. Heat oils in a heavy iron pot. Add garlic,

> > > onions and

> > > > herbs. Sauté until onions are soft but not brown, about 5

> minutes.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > 3. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until well-blended.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > 4. Add drained beans, salt and just enough water

> > > to cover.

> > > > Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 1 hour.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > calories 184

> > > >

> > > > sodium 100

> > > >

> > > > cholesterol 31

> > > >

> > > > potassium 589

> > > >

> > > > protein 10

> > > >

> > > > fiber 11

> > > >

> > > > fat 3

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > exchanges: per 1-cup serving

> > > > 2 vegetables, 1-1/2 bread

> > > > 1 fat

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

i used to think i hated all sorts of vegetables until i had themcooked Indian or Japanese

I think stir fry makes a great one pot meal for one person. I make it 2-3 nights a week. I just take a whole pan of chopped vegetables with a little oil, garlic, and ginger and stir fry (you can use broth if you want be really good) and then add either shrimp, chicken or baked tofu. I frequently add either mandarin oranges or fresh pineapple chunks. Then I make a sauce of broth, rice vinegar, sweetener (honey or sugar) cornstarch and spices and add to the vegetables. I usually put it over 1/2 cup of brown basamati rice, but 1/2 package of ramen noodles is also a nice change. Quick, simple, and low cal.

oh yeah, that's good. a local deli puts salad & chicken and black

beans in a tortilla wrap. had one for lunch today

laurie

> >

> > Here's the recipe. Today I got the bright idea to mix these beans

> with rice

> > - more rice than beans. Kinda bland, which is surprising because

> the beans

> > are tasty. I never put salt in them but the rice and beans needed

> some for

> > my taste. I probably won't have them with the rice again, however

> in the

> > past, I often put a little rice into the beans for protein but not

> enough to

> >

> > Enjoy

> >

> > Elaine

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > 6 cups water

> >

> > 1 Tbsp olive oil

> >

> > 1 Tbsp vegetable oil

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > 1/4 tp thyme

> >

> > 1 bay leaf, crumbled

> >

> >

> >

> > 2 tp salt (optional)

> >

> >

> >

> boil, cover,

> >

> >

> >

> onions and

> > herbs. Sauté until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> to cover.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > calories 184

> >

> > sodium 100

> >

> > cholesterol 31

> >

> > potassium 589

> >

> > protein 10

> >

> > fiber 11

> >

> > fat 3

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > 1 fat

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

> Looking for last minute shopping deals?

> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

>