RemedySpot.com

Re: Another Newbie Arrives

Rate this topic

Guest guest

welcome Janet! that sounds like a really cool pedometer....I will have to check it out.

Jane

Good Morning everyone. I am Janet and I live just outside of Raleigh, NC with my three dogs (my walking partners), where I work as a home health nurse. I am 55 years old and have 100 lbs to loose so I am arriving here with serious challenges but a lot of motivation.I just went to America on the move and signed up for a challenge beginning on New Years Day. Will anyone else be starting a new challenge for New Years? Of course I dont' know how that site works yet but I am eager to learn. For Christmas I bought a new pedomeeter -the New Lifestyle NL2000 and I am in love with it. It programs your age, height, weight, and figures your BMI so that you can record your resting calorie burn as well as steps or miles walked. I am aiming for a consistent 10,000 steps a day. I am also a member of Sparkpeople and think that is a wonderful site.Can't wait to get to know all of you fellow walkers.Janet See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

Hi ,

Nice to meet you. Are you, or anyone, starting one of the trails on the Get Moving America site for the new year???

JanetSee AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

Hi Janet, Welcome to the group. We have in common that we are both nurses and both have three dogs as walking companions. I was in contact yesterday with one of the most accomplished nurses I have ever worked with who was over 200 pounds overweight with terrible health issues including the fact that she had become mostly wheelchair bound. Since I had last spoken with her she has lost over 90 pounds and is walking on her own again and getting off all sorts of meds for everything from hypertension to pain and neuropathy issues. She was a head nurse when I worked with her and is now teaching in an ADN program, and such a valuable person. It was the BEST news of the holiday season. We, and others, can take inspiration from her and keep working on our own healthy lifestyles. Happy New Year.

W

Another Newbie Arrives

Good Morning everyone. I am Janet and I live just outside of Raleigh, NC with my three dogs (my walking partners), where I work as a home health nurse. I am 55 years old and have 100 lbs to loose so I am arriving here with serious challenges but a lot of motivation.I just went to America on the move and signed up for a challenge beginning on New Years Day. Will anyone else be starting a new challenge for New Years? Of course I dont' know how that site works yet but I am eager to learn. For Christmas I bought a new pedomeeter -the New Lifestyle NL2000 and I am in love with it. It programs your age, height, weight, and figures your BMI so that you can record your resting calorie burn as well as steps or miles walked. I am aiming for a consistent 10,000 steps a day. I am also a member of Sparkpeople and think that is a wonderful site.Can't wait to get to know all of you fellow walkers.Janet

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1205 - Release Date: 12/31/2007 3:32 PM

Hi Janet, I am , age 46 and live in Wisconsin. I also want to lose 100 pounds (by my next Bday in Sept) I don't write much on here but sure want to for 2008.

Wow , that is a lot of weight in 9 months! Why do you want to lose it that fast????

Hi Janet, I am , age 46 and live in Wisconsin. I also want to lose 100 pounds (by my next Bday in Sept) I don't write much on here but sure want to for 2008.

Keep in touch!!

Another Newbie Arrives

Good Morning everyone. I am Janet and I live just outside of Raleigh, NC with my three dogs (my walking partners), where I work as a home health nurse. I am 55 years old and have 100 lbs to loose so I am arriving here with serious challenges but a lot of motivation.I just went to America on the move and signed up for a challenge beginning on New Years Day. Will anyone else be starting a new challenge for New Years? Of course I dont' know how that site works yet but I am eager to learn. For Christmas I bought a new pedomeeter -the New Lifestyle NL2000 and I am in love with it. It programs your age, height, weight, and figures your BMI so that you can record your resting calorie burn as well as steps or miles walked. I am aiming for a consistent 10,000 steps a day. I am also a member of Sparkpeople and think that is a wonderful site.Can't wait to get to know all of you fellow walkers.Janet

Hello everyone,

Happy New Year!

Not sure if I've ever posted info about myself but seeing how I have a 50 pound goal in 2008 I thought I would offer up my info...

I'm a mom of 2 daughters, 21 amd 12 years old, am 49 years old and frankly am tired of feeling ( and looking) the way I do, if I don't do this for me ain't nobody gonna do it for me. Been married for 23 years and don't exercise much at all...yet. We've got a treadmill that's been a great dust collector and doubles as a place to hang backpacks and excess coats and even the occaisional overflow of those plastic grocery bags. Tomorrow we undecorate the Christmas sutff and instead of putting the treadmill back where it was ( in a place not easily accesable) it will remain in the way as a reminder it too has a purpose to serve.

I am making some new ( lower fat) versions of some traditional New Years Day foods. For those of you from the south, we'll have black eyed peas, some greens and cabbage. I am not from the south (born and raised in California) but have a long line a family members who are and they have enfluenced my preferred recipes as well as family who grew up in the dairy states and love their cheese and ice cream! I will be watching the amount of fat used and am truly looking forward to seeing how far I can go on the treadmill before I need to stop.

I have one question and I know it's been answered here before, just can't find the answer...what's the best pedometer available? I haven't done any research on them yet and thought I would ask away to all of you wonderful members.

I've been more of a reader in the past and hope to be much more of a contributor in the future.

Looking forward to hearing back soon..happy walking and talking with our keyboards!

Newark, California

Another Newbie Arrives

have one question and I know it's been answered here before, just can't find the answer...what's the best pedometer available?

Hi Pat, Nice to meet you.

I am going to chime in on the pedometer issue because I truly love my pedometer. I did research and this one was rated that the most reliable pedometer for people who are overweight or slower walkers. It's the New Lifestyles NL-2000 and you can program in your age, weight, gender, and height and it will figure the calories your burn as rest as well as your steps and miles. I have been wearing this one since December 2nd I see, looking at the old calendar (which is about to come down to make room for a new one) and I am completely addicted to it.

Lets get walking! lol

Janet- Don't we ALL want to lose it fast? That's just a pipe dream I have, not realistic at all, so I am hoping for 50 lbs gone, realistically by my birthday. That Biggest Loser show is our favourite in this house, I just can't believe that some of them lose over 100 pounds in the 4 months that they are on the ranch!!! I do have a lot to lose and a lot to gain by losing it ")

in Wisconsin

originally from England(how I ended up here in cowtown is beyond me)

six kids (27, 23, 22, 20, 12 and 2)

1 dog and 1 cat

In a message dated 12/31/2007 10:52:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, eweber5@....com writes:

Wow , that is a lot of weight in 9 months! Why do you want to lose it that fast????

Janet

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

Welcome, Janet. It's good to get to know you. Hope you enjoy the group and that we hear from you often.

Thanks Elaine,

Nice to meet you.

Biggest Loser show is our favourite in this house,

Now I know where you got ideas like that! Watching the Biggest Loser! lol I never watch that show - their methods are far too crazy for me. I guess I am have a tortoise and not a hare mentality lol Still, its New Years and we are all geared up to go!

So, lets walk. Did you start a trail today?

I'm Rob. I'm a newbie here too. Welcome and best wishes for reachingyour

Hi Rob, nice to meet you. Is it summer there now?

Welcome, Janet. It's good to get to know you. Hope you enjoy the group and that we hear from you often.

Elaine

Good Morning everyone. I am Janet and I live just outside of Raleigh, NC with my three dogs (my walking partners), where I work as a home health nurse. I am 55 years old and have 100 lbs to loose so I am arriving here with serious challenges but a lot of motivation.

I just went to America on the move and signed up for a challenge beginning on New Years Day. Will anyone else be starting a new challenge for New Years? Of course I dont' know how that site works yet but I am eager to learn. For Christmas I bought a new pedomeeter -

the New Lifestyle NL2000 and I am in love with it. It programs your age, height, weight, and figures your BMI so that you can record your resting calorie burn as well as steps or miles walked. I am aiming for a consistent 10,000 steps a day. I am also a member of Sparkpeople and think that is a wonderful site.Can't wait to get to know all of you fellow walkers.Janet

Great to hear from you, . Sounds like you're on the right track. I know we'll soon be hearing about your successes.

Elaine

Hello everyone,

Happy New Year!

Not sure if I've ever posted info about myself but seeing how I have a 50 pound goal in 2008 I thought I would offer up my info...

I'm a mom of 2 daughters, 21 amd 12 years old, am 49 years old and frankly am tired of feeling ( and looking) the way I do, if I don't do this for me ain't nobody gonna do it for me. Been married for 23 years and don't exercise much at all...yet. We've got a treadmill that's been a great dust collector and doubles as a place to hang backpacks and excess coats and even the occaisional overflow of those plastic grocery bags. Tomorrow we undecorate the Christmas sutff and instead of putting the treadmill back where it was ( in a place not easily accesable) it will remain in the way as a reminder it too has a purpose to serve.

I am making some new ( lower fat) versions of some traditional New Years Day foods. For those of you from the south, we'll have black eyed peas, some greens and cabbage. I am not from the south (born and raised in California) but have a long line a family members who are and they have enfluenced my preferred recipes as well as family who grew up in the dairy states and love their cheese and ice cream! I will be watching the amount of fat used and am truly looking forward to seeing how far I can go on the treadmill before I need to stop.

I have one question and I know it's been answered here before, just can't find the answer...what's the best pedometer available? I haven't done any research on them yet and thought I would ask away to all of you wonderful members.

I've been more of a reader in the past and hope to be much more of a contributor in the future.

Looking forward to hearing back soon..happy walking and talking with our keyboards!

Newark, California

Another Newbie Arrives

Good Morning everyone. I am Janet and I live just outside of Raleigh, NC with my three dogs (my walking partners), where I work as a home health nurse. I am 55 years old and have 100 lbs to loose so I am arriving here with serious challenges but a lot of motivation.

I just went to America on the move and signed up for a challenge beginning on New Years Day. Will anyone else be starting a new challenge for New Years? Of course I dont' know how that site works yet but I am eager to learn. For Christmas I bought a new pedomeeter -

the New Lifestyle NL2000 and I am in love with it. It programs your age, height, weight, and figures your BMI so that you can record your resting calorie burn as well as steps or miles walked. I am aiming for a consistent 10,000 steps a day. I am also a member of Sparkpeople and think that is a wonderful site.Can't wait to get to know all of you fellow walkers.Janet

Hi , I'm so glad you have become part of our group. It's so hard not to want that weight gone by tomorrow, if not sooner, esp when we work so hard to get rid of it. Some people work best with a goal but that goal has to be reasonable and 100 pounds by your birthday may be too ambitious. I know that in the past, as fast (or slow) as I've lost weight, I've gained it back just as fast. I didn't start keeping weight off until I did it more reasonably and it was gradual.

Surely this is hard for you to hear as it's hard to write,, because even knowing what I know (through experience) I want the rest gone by tomorrow. I feel that two pounds a week is reasonable and easy enough. I can't keep myself from doing little spreadsheets: if I weigh this much today and lose two pounds a week, I'll weigh this much by New Years, by my birthday, by summer, by Labor Day, etc. but I've never had success that way.

Recently someone gave the best advice I've ever heard for losing weight. I think it was , but I'm not sure. I probably should find the exact quote as they said it best but my computer is too slow to find it. She basically said, take care of your health, your well-being. Eat right and exercise, etc. The weight will come off on its own. I've tried a lot of ways to lose weight but once I did it this way it was the only time I've lost weight without a " gimmick " , it cost no extra money and it's the only time it stayed off. Plus it was almost painless.

For me the great motivator is success. I've always kept my exercise or weight loss in a spread sheet and to see it laid out like that, I can see the result and it spurs me on to do more.

If you feel the best way for yourself is having a goal, please make it doable. Plus you can set a monthy goal, for example, then project future goals based on what you were able to do the first, then the second, etc, months.

Best of luck to you.

Elaine

California

Keep in touch!!

Another Newbie Arrives

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Janet, sorry for the slow reply....Yeah, it's definitely Summer

here in Australia!!! :), aerosol fly repellant, the sound of millions

of crickets (cicadas, here in Oz) humming at sunset, moquities and

flies EVERYWHERE, The beautiful people hogging the papers and

pavements while I hide until winter! ,lol, ok so maybe next year I

might be seen outdoors in something less concealing than a mumu, huge

lol at myself. Seriously though, I have started walking longer and

longer distances by catching a local bus up a hill and walking back

downhill to catch the bus back up the hill and do it all over

again.I've lost a pound in my first solid week walking... I'm good

with that! Do you walk outdoors Janet?

Rob

>

>

> In a message dated 1/1/2008 5:17:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

> robert.d.lovett@... writes:

>

> I'm Rob. I'm a newbie here too. Welcome and best wishes for reaching

> your

>

>

> Hi Rob, nice to meet you. Is it summer there now?

>

> Janet

>

>

>

> **************************************See AOL's top rated recipes

> (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)

>

I am soooo envious! I keep looking at the weather reports for Alice Springs. 101 sounds so good to me! lol, I HATE cold, it hurts!

Jane

Hi Janet, sorry for the slow reply....Yeah, it's definitely Summerhere in Australia!!! :), aerosol fly repellant, the sound of millionsof crickets (cicadas, here in Oz) humming at sunset, moquities andflies EVERYWHERE, The beautiful people hogging the papers andpavements while I hide until winter! ,lol, ok so maybe next year Imight be seen outdoors in something less concealing than a mumu, hugelol at myself. Seriously though, I have started walking longer andlonger distances by catching a local bus up a hill and walking backdownhill to catch the bus back up the hill and do it all overagain.I've lost a pound in my first solid week walking... I'm goodwith that! Do you walk outdoors Janet?Rob>> > > > I'm Rob. I'm a newbie here too. Welcome and best wishes for reaching> your> > > Hi Rob, nice to meet you. Is it summer there now?> > Janet> > > > **************************************See AOL's top rated recipes > (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)> Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

I've lost a pound in my first solid week walking... I'm goodwith that! Do you walk outdoors Janet

Rob,

I force myself out of bed at 5 am (WHY is the bed so unbelievably comfortable at that time of the morning????!!!) and grab my "girls" (Keeshond/chow mix and Brussels Griffon princess and walk a little less than 2 miles - that walk includes 1 steep hill and one gradual hill and I try to speed up on those stretches), then I come home and get the resident grumpy old man (chihuahua/feist mix) and take him for his walk. His walk also includes the steep hill IF he is in the mood and about 1/2 of it if he is not. At 14 years old, he gets to decide. Usually however, he takes the hill. He is overweight, but I have never seen any signs of arthritis and I can't keep up with the old boy! lol If the weather is bad I either walk at work (our office is in a wonderful medical mall that is great for walking, or walk at home to the Sansome DVDs - Walk Away the Pounds). No matter how I get it, I do try to get at least 10,000 steps a day.

JanetStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Jane, I haven't been to Alice Springs but I've driven from Brisbane to Cairns and I can tell you that that heat can also hurt. I was told the humidity is what made it so bad (on the northern part of that route). It was sad to be at the most beautiful crescent beach I've ever seen, that was bare of people (that was good) including myself (that wasn't good) because I couldn't stand the extreme heat. At every stop I couldn't wait to get back into the air conditioned car. After a few days in Cairns, the humidity did disappear and while it remained very hot, it was bearable and I didn't mind being out in it. I grew up in a humid area and it didn't feel like that. There's something different about it. So... be careful what you wish for.......

But I swam in the warmest water I've ever experienced in an ocean. Beautiful, unforgettable for many reasons.

Elaine

I am soooo envious! I keep looking at the weather reports for Alice Springs. 101 sounds so good to me! lol, I HATE cold, it hurts!

Jane

Janet, I haven't heard of this pedometer before.. where did you get

yours from??

Hugs,

TnT

---------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------

[mailto:thefatmanwalking_group ] On Behalf Of

DreamOn145@...

Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 8:17 AM

To: thefatmanwalking_group

Subject: Re: Another Newbie Arrives

Hi Pat, Nice to meet you.

I am going to chime in on the pedometer issue because I truly love

my pedometer. I did research and this one was rated that the most

reliable pedometer for people who are overweight or slower walkers.

It's the New Lifestyles NL-2000 and you can program in your age,

weight, gender, and height and it will figure the calories your burn

as rest as well as your steps and miles. I have been wearing this

one since December 2nd I see, looking at the old calendar (which is

about to come down to make room for a new one) and I am completely

addicted to it.

Lets get walking! lol

Janet.

Great start, Rob. Keep up the good work.

W

Hi Janet, sorry for the slow reply....Yeah, it's definitely Summerhere in Australia!!! :), aerosol fly repellant, the sound of millionsof crickets (cicadas, here in Oz) humming at sunset, moquities andflies EVERYWHERE, The beautiful people hogging the papers andpavements while I hide until winter! ,lol, ok so maybe next year Imight be seen outdoors in something less concealing than a mumu, hugelol at myself. Seriously though, I have started walking longer andlonger distances by catching a local bus up a hill and walking backdownhill to catch the bus back up the hill and do it all overagain.I've lost a pound in my first solid week walking... I'm goodwith that! Do you walk outdoors Janet?Rob>> > > > I'm Rob. I'm a newbie here too. Welcome and best wishes for reaching> your> > > Hi Rob, nice to meet you. Is it summer there now?> > Janet> > > > **************************************See AOL's top rated recipes > (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.1/1219 - Release Date: 1/11/2008 10:19 AM

haven't heard of this pedometer before.. where did you g

I got mine directly from the companyNEW-LIFESTYLES, INC. - Digiwalker Pedometer - The most accurate and reliable pedometers on the world market. I LOVE it!

I hate the cold also!!!

Gerard

-------------- Original message from jjsmth@...: --------------

Jane

In a message dated 1/11/2008 3:12:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, robert.d.lovettstudent (DOT) uts.edu.au writes:

Hi Janet, sorry for the slow reply....Yeah, it's definitely Summerhere in Australia!!! :), aerosol fly repellant, the sound of millionsof crickets (cicadas, here in Oz) humming at sunset, moquities andflies EVERYWHERE, The beautiful people hogging the papers andpavements while I hide until winter! ,lol, ok so maybe next year Imight be seen outdoors in something less concealing than a mumu, hugelol at myself. Seriously though, I have started walking longer andlonger distances by catching a local bus up a hill and walking backdownhill to catch the bus back up the hill and do it all overagain.I've lost a pound in my first solid week walking... I'm goodwith that! Do you walk outdoors Janet?Rob>> > In a message dat

ed 1/1/2008 5:17:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, > robert.d.lovett@... writes:> > I'm Rob. I'm a newbie here too. Welcome and best wishes for reaching> your> > > Hi Rob, nice to meet you. Is it summer there now?> > Janet> > > > **************************************See AOL's top rated recipes > (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)>

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

for Alice Springs. 101 sounds

Jane,

I am exactly the opposite. The SOUND of 101 makes me physically ill! lol I hate hate hate the summer here and refer to it, along with several other nurses who feel the same, as "our yearly march through Hell" I can't even tell you how glad I was to leave the gulf coast! I don't know which was better, getting rid of my ex husband or getting rid of that weather! lol On the other hand, it NEVER gets too cold in the state of NC for me. We are supposed to have a "wintry mix" on Thursday and I am so hoping that it turns into a snow storm. We haven't had one in about three years and I would LOVE to see some snow! lol