Am treating with lots of chamomile tea, raw garlic (swallows small bits like a

pill) and following tincture:

Ephedra 10

Prunus 25

Thymus 40

Althea herba 15

Inula 20

Cinnamon-um 10

Seemed to really help at first - now not so obvious. We are on day 9 of horrible

cough, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions I would be very grateful.

Interestingly he is now part of a research study on persistent cough in

children. Apparently a big rise in whooping cough in children 11+. Nurse taking

swabs etc spent a while apologising for the fact that the vaccine doesn't seem

to be working..before I told her he wasn't vaccinated. Made me feel slightly

less guilty about not vaccinating. Interestingly though the only friend to start

coughing in another un-vaccinated child...

Many thanks,

Lettitia

Guest guest

Is there any phlegm?

Glychyrriza? Verbascum? Cowslip? Asclepius?

If phlegm, Pimpinella, Marrubium.

One of my girls had suspected whooping cough when she was tiny, and I

found that holding her tight during a fit really helped. I think I

was fixing the accessory muscles of respiration. He's maybe a bit

old for that, but you could show him how to fix them himself, it might

help,

Good luck.

Oh and masses of strong lemon and honey (with the peel) seems to help

loosen mucus.

Sally Owen

> Hi

>

> My 12yr old (un-vaccinated) son has probable whooping cough.

> Horrible coughing fits especially at night when can hardly breathe -

> but no 'whoop' apparently doesn't happen in all cases.

>

> Am treating with lots of chamomile tea, raw garlic (swallows small

> bits like a pill) and following tincture:

>

> Ephedra 10

> Prunus 25

> Thymus 40

> Althea herba 15

> Inula 20

> Cinnamon-um 10

>

> Seemed to really help at first - now not so obvious. We are on day 9

> of horrible cough, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions I would be

> very grateful.

>

> Interestingly he is now part of a research study on persistent cough

> in children. Apparently a big rise in whooping cough in children

> 11+. Nurse taking swabs etc spent a while apologising for the fact

> that the vaccine doesn't seem to be working..before I told her he

> wasn't vaccinated. Made me feel slightly less guilty about not

> vaccinating. Interestingly though the only friend to start coughing

> in another un-vaccinated child...

>

> Many thanks,

> Lettitia

>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

> List Owner: Graham White, MNIMH

Guest guest

I am trying to remember - isn't Lactuca specific for whooping cough? And Escholtzia? Haven't had a case myself. J Fidler, MCPP, (RH) AHGHerbalist To: ukherbal-list Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:10 PM Subject: Whooping cough

Hi

My 12yr old (un-vaccinated) son has probable whooping cough. Horrible coughing fits especially at night when can hardly breathe - but no 'whoop' apparently doesn't happen in all cases.

Am treating with lots of chamomile tea, raw garlic (swallows small bits like a pill) and following tincture:

Ephedra 10

Prunus 25

Thymus 40

Althea herba 15

Inula 20

Cinnamon-um 10

Seemed to really help at first - now not so obvious. We are on day 9 of horrible cough, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions I would be very grateful.

Interestingly he is now part of a research study on persistent cough in children. Apparently a big rise in whooping cough in children 11+. Nurse taking swabs etc spent a while apologising for the fact that the vaccine doesn't seem to be working..before I told her he wasn't vaccinated. Made me feel slightly less guilty about not vaccinating. Interestingly though the only friend to start coughing in another un-vaccinated child...

Many thanks,

Lettitia

Guest guest

Hi Letitia

Whooping cough is really horrible. My youngest daughter was diagnosed at 3 months and my eldest at the same time (she was 7) I treated my youngest via breast milk and I used essential oils on their feet. I was pretty convinced it was whooping cough as I had suffered it myself as a child one distinctive feature was sheets of mucous being produced alongside the horrendous cough. The GP initially thought it was a form of bronchiectasis. I think the herbs shortened the duration of the illness, supported immune function and resolution for both children. Neither were vaccinated and my youngest spent a day in hospital being monitored. Interestingly, although only one case, her symptoms were not as severe as children that were vaccinated there at the time - this was commented on by the consultant - her oxygen levels were fine hence we took her home. Anyway, I used Baptisia, Phytollaca, Althaea/Liquorice and Thyme as a syrup...and Echinacea as a mucolytic. I think I must have used Hyssop also as I favour it for childrens upper respiratory complaints...

Both of them slept propped up at the time.

I think I used Eucalyptus smithii and Lavender as an oil on the feet.

Hope you have some useful suggestions to try. It does get better!

Trudy

-- Whooping cough

HiMy 12yr old (un-vaccinated) son has probable whooping cough. Horrible coughing fits especially at night when can hardly breathe - but no 'whoop' apparently doesn't happen in all cases.Am treating with lots of chamomile tea, raw garlic (swallows small bits like a pill) and following tincture:Ephedra 10Prunus 25Thymus 40Althea herba 15Inula 20Cinnamon-um 10Seemed to really help at first - now not so obvious. We are on day 9 of horrible cough, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions I would be very grateful.Interestingly he is now part of a research study on persistent cough in children. Apparently a big rise in whooping cough in children 11+. Nurse taking swabs etc spent a while apologising for the fact that the vaccine doesn't seem to be working..before I told her he wasn't vaccinated. Made me feel slightly less guilty about not vaccinating. Interestingly though the only friend to start coughing in another un-vaccinated child...Many thanks,Lettitia

FREE Animations for your email by IncrediMail

Click Here!

Guest guest

You could try a onion chest poultice. I and others have had good success for coughs with these. I just saute up a mess of onions with a bit of oil until soft and translucent. I put it in a large tea towel sized cloth and apply to chest. Cover with plastic wrap to protect pj's.Sabra

<111.gif>

Hi Letitia

Whooping cough is really horrible. My youngest daughter was diagnosed at 3 months and my eldest at the same time (she was 7) I treated my youngest via breast milk and I used essential oils on their feet. I was pretty convinced it was whooping cough as I had suffered it myself as a child one distinctive feature was sheets of mucous being produced alongside the horrendous cough. The GP initially thought it was a form of bronchiectasis. I think the herbs shortened the duration of the illness, supported immune function and resolution for both children. Neither were vaccinated and my youngest spent a day in hospital being monitored. Interestingly, although only one case, her symptoms were not as severe as children that were vaccinated there at the time - this was commented on by the consultant - her oxygen levels were fine hence we took her home. Anyway, I used Baptisia, Phytollaca, Althaea/Liquorice and Thyme as a syrup...and

Echinacea as a mucolytic. I think I must have used Hyssop also as I favour it for childrens upper respiratory complaints...

Both of them slept propped up at the time.

I think I used Eucalyptus smithii and Lavender as an oil on the feet.

Hope you have some useful suggestions to try. It does get better!

Trudy

-- Whooping cough

HiMy 12yr old (un-vaccinated) son has probable whooping cough. Horrible coughing fits especially at night when can hardly breathe - but no 'whoop' apparently doesn't happen in all cases.Am treating with lots of chamomile tea, raw garlic (swallows small bits like a pill) and following tincture:Ephedra 10Prunus 25Thymus 40Althea herba 15Inula 20Cinnamon-um 10Seemed to really help at first - now not so obvious. We are on day 9 of horrible cough, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions I would be very grateful.Interestingly he is now part of a research study on persistent cough in children. Apparently a big rise in whooping cough in children 11+. Nurse taking swabs etc spent a while apologising for the fact that the vaccine doesn't seem to be working..before I told her he wasn't vaccinated. Made me feel slightly less guilty about not vaccinating. Interestingly though the only friend to start coughing in another un-vaccinated

child...Many thanks,Lettitia

<girl.gif>

FREE Animations for your email by IncrediMail

Click Here!

Guest guest

Hi Lettita

Isn't Drosera specific for whooping cough? And also Pilosella.

No idea if any supplier has them - you'd probably have to find them growing

somewhere.

I'm about to commit heresy - it's not herbal but consider homeopathic Pertussin.

It's given a nosode so might not indicated.

To ease your guilt - my daughter had vaccination - it was a long time ago. My

sons, who are younger than her, did not have vaccination - but they did have the

homeopathic nosode. My daughter had whooping cough albeit mildly when she was 14

months. My sons have not had it.

best wishes

Guest guest

Drosera is a near-specific for whooping cough in homeopathy. I have used it To great effect. I am sure that herbally it would be just as effective?CraigDr Craig Homeopath. Phytotherapist166 Lansdowne Road. Claremont. 7708+27 21 671 4338 Hi LettitaIsn't Drosera specific for whooping cough? And also Pilosella. No idea if any supplier has them - you'd probably have to find them growing somewhere. I'm about to commit heresy - it's not herbal but consider homeopathic Pertussin.It's given a nosode so might not indicated.To ease your guilt - my daughter had vaccination - it was a long time ago. My sons, who are younger than her, did not have vaccination - but they did have the homeopathic nosode. My daughter had whooping cough albeit mildly when she was 14 months. My sons have not had it. best wishes

Guest guest

Drosera is a protected plant, but often grown in the nurseries/garden centres. To: ukherbal-list Sent: Thursday, 29 March 2012, 16:17 Subject: Re: Whooping cough

Hi Lettita

Isn't Drosera specific for whooping cough? And also Pilosella.

No idea if any supplier has them - you'd probably have to find them growing somewhere.

I'm about to commit heresy - it's not herbal but consider homeopathic Pertussin.

It's given a nosode so might not indicated.

To ease your guilt - my daughter had vaccination - it was a long time ago. My sons, who are younger than her, did not have vaccination - but they did have the homeopathic nosode. My daughter had whooping cough albeit mildly when she was 14 months. My sons have not had it.

best wishes

Guest guest

Thank you all so much for all your suggestions. I will definitely try some of

them. Interesting what you said about the homeopathic nosodes I have to

admit that I hadn't really considered that. I've contacted a homeopath to see if

he can give some remedies as lots of people have mentioned that too. He has now

started the 'whoop' and is really scared and trumatised by it all....

Thanks again,

Lettitia

>

> Drosera is a protected plant, but often grown in the nurseries/garden centres.

>

>

>

> ________________________________

>

> To: ukherbal-list

> Sent: Thursday, 29 March 2012, 16:17

> Subject: Re: Whooping cough

>

>

>  

> Hi Lettita

>

> Isn't Drosera specific for whooping cough? And also Pilosella.

> No idea if any supplier has them - you'd probably have to find them growing

somewhere.

>

> I'm about to commit heresy - it's not herbal but consider homeopathic

Pertussin.

> It's given a nosode so might not indicated.

>

> To ease your guilt - my daughter had vaccination - it was a long time ago. My

sons, who are younger than her, did not have vaccination - but they did have the

homeopathic nosode. My daughter had whooping cough albeit mildly when she was 14

months. My sons have not had it.

>

> best wishes

>

>

Guest guest

> Drosera is a protected plant, but often grown in the nurseries/garden

> centres.

It's extremely abundant on bogs and in old sand/gravel pits (or similar) where

the ground water is high enough. More northern 4H organizations buy it by the

kg and sell it to Vogel Switzerland ... it's tiny, so picking a kg (fresh)

herb takes some time, but is not impossible on larger bogs.

H. (It is, in fact, not a bog plant; just a plant which likes good drainage

with access to enough water.)

--

Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland

Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.henriettesherbal.com

New book: http://www.henriettesherbal.com/articles/pract-herbs.html

Guest guest

Hi HenriettaI should have been more specific, Drosera is protected in the UK, where it has been overharvested in the past...It is also protected in Poland, even though it is much more abundant there than in the UK. Obviously not so in Finland, lucky you.Best wishes To: ukherbal-list Sent: Friday,

30 March 2012, 6:45 Subject: Re: Re: Whooping cough > Drosera is a protected plant, but often grown in the nurseries/garden> centres.It's extremely abundant on bogs and in old sand/gravel pits (or similar) where the ground water is high enough. More northern 4H organizations buy it by the kg and sell it to Vogel Switzerland ... it's tiny, so picking a kg (fresh) herb takes some time, but is not impossible on larger bogs.H. (It is, in fact, not a bog plant; just a plant which likes good drainage with access to enough water.)-- Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki,

FinlandHenriette's herbal homepage: http://www.henriettesherbal.comNew book: http://www.henriettesherbal.com/articles/pract-herbs.html------------------------------------List Owner: Graham White, MNIMH

• 4 months later...
Guest guest

Hi Ciara,I just noticed your post and wanted to check out what symptoms you had and have observed. A friends child (age 3) had a terrible cough for months and her mum caught it too, she now thinks it was probably a subacute form of whooping cough. Then my daughter got it (also 3yrs) but she has had no fever or other symptoms apart from severe coughing fits - deep and racking and often vomiting or spitting up mucus which is usually clear but sometimes green mucus and it is not going away. I am treating her with herbs - mainly elderberry and thyme and licourice syryp but could probably do with some other antiinfectives and expectorants like Inula as well. She has not been vaccinated and nor has her friend who she caught it off. I have already had it as a child and so that probably explains why I have not caught it myself

(usually I pick up whatever she gets). I have only just done some research and realised that whooping cough does not necessarily come with a fever or have a 'whoop'. If you or others have any further recommendations I would appreciate it. She seems well between couging bouts and this has meant I have not taken it as seriously but want to keep on top of it to prevent any complications from arising. She has had it now for about 4 weeks. Also, not sure the protocol about keeping her at home away from other people as some websites say the incubation period can last up to 40 days. Thanks,Annie To: ukherbal-list Sent: Wednesday, 1 August 2012, 15:58 Subject: Whooping cough

Just a note to you all be on the look out for this one, highly infectious, with a lengthy course.

Incidence are rising dramatically worldwide at the moment and we may see an even bigger increase in the winter months. Although typicaly affecting the young, most are vaccinated against it, resistance is thought to last about 12 yrs then a booster is needed.

I recently had it for the most part of a month, treated, with limited herbs as I'm pregnant but got through it.

The age profile seems to be shifting to adolescents and adults.

Worth keeping an eye out for I'd be interested to hear if any of you have come accross it recently?

Thanks, Ciara

Hi Annie,

I'm sorry to hear that, it certainly all sounds familiar.

SX:

Starts with a ticklish cough

with in about 3-4 days progresses to a spasmodic hacking cough, yes vomiting the

contents of the stomach due to severity of the cough and spasmodic nature.

Worse at night, better with slightly cool well ventilated room.

Danger of secondary infection if the cough is acute for a long time, Dr will

treat whooping cough with erythromycin, if it is treated with in the first 1-7

days then the chronic cough will not last as long (generally unproductive, when

mucus present tends to be clear occasionally green).

My understanding is that you are infectious for at least the first 21 days after

onset of Sx.

No fever , no temperature, no real malaise apart from exhaustion of not sleeping

well due to increased coughing at night.

I definitley had whoop present, very distressing, not being able to catch your

breath feels kinda like your lung has collapsed and you can't inhale...luckily

for me the really bad coughing lasted about 3 days.

Now almost 6 weeks later I do still cough about 10 times in a day with the same

sensation in the lungs trying to catch a breath in but it is much less severe

dry cough that I can control and is lessening all the time.

THINGS THAT I FOUND HELPFUL:( i am limited as 6 mths pregnant)

I took 5000 IU vitamin D daily

Herbal RX including ginger, echinacea, plantago , euphrasia, small quantity of

mellisa.

Increased vitamin C intake to approx 3g a day

Plenty of fresh juices including carrot, beetroot, ginger.

The thing that I felt made the biggest difference to the night cough was a

really strong infusion of Chamomile in the evening times.

Also when sleeping at night I slept at a 45 degree angle propped up by 3 pillows

this really helped alot but was probably partly due to my 'condtition' and the

increasing upward pressure on my lungs !!

hope that helps some, interestingly research coming out of USA says that

vaccinated or not some children are still catching the WC, there is alot of

conflicting info out there on both sides I'm still making my mind up on it all..

All the best , Ciara

>

> Hi Ciara,

>

> I just noticed your post and wanted to check out what symptoms you had and

have observed. A friends child (age 3) had a terrible cough for months and her

mum caught it too, she now thinks it was probably a subacute form of whooping

cough. Then my daughter got it (also 3yrs) but she has had no fever or other

symptoms apart from severe coughing fits - deep and racking and often vomiting

or spitting up mucus which is usually clear but sometimes green mucus and it is

not going away. I am treating her with herbs - mainly elderberry and thyme and

licourice syryp but could probably do with some other antiinfectives and

expectorants like Inula as well. She has not been vaccinated and nor has her

friend who she caught it off. I have already had it as a child and so that

probably explains why I have not caught it myself (usually I pick up whatever

she gets). I have only just done some research and realised that whooping cough

does not necessarily come with a fever

> or have a 'whoop'. If you or others have any further recommendations I would

appreciate it. She seems well between couging bouts and this has meant I have

not taken it as seriously but want to keep on top of it to prevent any

complications from arising. She has had it now for about 4 weeks. Also, not sure

the protocol about keeping her at home away from other people as some websites

say the incubation period can last up to 40 days.

>

> Thanks,

>

> Annie

>

>

>

>

> Sent: Wednesday, 1 August 2012, 15:58

> Subject: Whooping cough

>

>

>  

>

>

> Just a note to you all be on the look out for this one, highly infectious,

with a lengthy course.

>

> Incidence are rising dramatically worldwide at the moment and we may see an

even bigger increase in the winter months. Although typicaly affecting the

young, most are vaccinated against it, resistance is thought to last about 12

yrs then a booster is needed.

>

> I recently had it for the most part of a month, treated, with limited herbs as

I'm pregnant but got through it.

>

> The age profile seems to be shifting to adolescents and adults.

>

> Worth keeping an eye out for I'd be interested to hear if any of you have come

accross it recently?

>

> Thanks, Ciara

>

Hi Ciara Thanks for that, good to have your feedback and advice. One of her friends has been diagnosed and that with all the other evidence seems to confirm it for me. Hopefully won't last much longer now but seem to be more on the case with treatment which feels good. I heard from a GP, that they often see subacute episodes of WC and diagnose it as something else! So, I would take the statistics with a pinch of salt if you are doing some research in that area...!Must be pretty awful having it when pregnant, glad you found ways to support yourself.Wishing you health and gentle birth.All the best, Annie To: ukherbal-list Sent: Friday, 10 August 2012, 10:23 Subject: Re: Whooping cough

Hi Annie,

I'm sorry to hear that, it certainly all sounds familiar.

SX:

Starts with a ticklish cough

with in about 3-4 days progresses to a spasmodic hacking cough, yes vomiting the contents of the stomach due to severity of the cough and spasmodic nature.

Worse at night, better with slightly cool well ventilated room.

Danger of secondary infection if the cough is acute for a long time, Dr will treat whooping cough with erythromycin, if it is treated with in the first 1-7 days then the chronic cough will not last as long (generally unproductive, when mucus present tends to be clear occasionally green).

My understanding is that you are infectious for at least the first 21 days after onset of Sx.

No fever , no temperature, no real malaise apart from exhaustion of not sleeping well due to increased coughing at night.

I definitley had whoop present, very distressing, not being able to catch your breath feels kinda like your lung has collapsed and you can't inhale...luckily for me the really bad coughing lasted about 3 days.

Now almost 6 weeks later I do still cough about 10 times in a day with the same sensation in the lungs trying to catch a breath in but it is much less severe dry cough that I can control and is lessening all the time.

THINGS THAT I FOUND HELPFUL:( i am limited as 6 mths pregnant)

I took 5000 IU vitamin D daily

Herbal RX including ginger, echinacea, plantago , euphrasia, small quantity of mellisa.

Increased vitamin C intake to approx 3g a day

Plenty of fresh juices including carrot, beetroot, ginger.

The thing that I felt made the biggest difference to the night cough was a really strong infusion of Chamomile in the evening times.

Also when sleeping at night I slept at a 45 degree angle propped up by 3 pillows this really helped alot but was probably partly due to my 'condtition' and the increasing upward pressure on my lungs !!

hope that helps some, interestingly research coming out of USA says that vaccinated or not some children are still catching the WC, there is alot of conflicting info out there on both sides I'm still making my mind up on it all..

All the best , Ciara

>

> Hi Ciara,

>

> I just noticed your post and wanted to check out what symptoms you had and have observed. A friends child (age 3) had a terrible cough for months and her mum caught it too, she now thinks it was probably a subacute form of whooping cough. Then my daughter got it (also 3yrs) but she has had no fever or other symptoms apart from severe coughing fits - deep and racking and often vomiting or spitting up mucus which is usually clear but sometimes green mucus and it is not going away. I am treating her with herbs - mainly elderberry and thyme and licourice syryp but could probably do with some other antiinfectives and expectorants like Inula as well. She has not been vaccinated and nor has her friend who she caught it off. I have already had it as a child and so that probably explains why I have not caught it myself (usually I pick up whatever she gets). I have only just done some research and realised that whooping cough does not necessarily come with a

fever

> or have a 'whoop'. If you or others have any further recommendations I would appreciate it. She seems well between couging bouts and this has meant I have not taken it as seriously but want to keep on top of it to prevent any complications from arising. She has had it now for about 4 weeks. Also, not sure the protocol about keeping her at home away from other people as some websites say the incubation period can last up to 40 days.

>

> Thanks,

>

> Annie

>

>

>

>

> Sent: Wednesday, 1 August 2012, 15:58

> Subject: Whooping cough

>

>

> Â

>

>

> Just a note to you all be on the look out for this one, highly infectious, with a lengthy course.

>

> Incidence are rising dramatically worldwide at the moment and we may see an even bigger increase in the winter months. Although typicaly affecting the young, most are vaccinated against it, resistance is thought to last about 12 yrs then a booster is needed.

>

> I recently had it for the most part of a month, treated, with limited herbs as I'm pregnant but got through it.

>

> The age profile seems to be shifting to adolescents and adults.

>

> Worth keeping an eye out for I'd be interested to hear if any of you have come accross it recently?

>

> Thanks, Ciara

>