RemedySpot.com

Pacific Creast Trail

Rate this topic

Guest guest

lol...I do it with the bugs etc! that is the trail I was on in 2006 when I was missing, and I wnet back out

last summer. That is the trail I turned 50 on. And I am planning to do at least 100 miles of it this year.

Jane

http://trailjournals.com/pctpurebound/

Hi Janet, while you "walk" the PCT, you may want to view pictures of the beautiful stretches you are walking, and read about them on this journal. There are other journals of the trail but this one has incredible pictures. Like being there without the bugs/cold/heat, etc, lol.

Take care.

Elaine

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

I carry bear spray, right at my hand. It says not use on humans as it may cause blindness but I would have no hesitation if I feel threatened in any way, I can tell you that. I do not choose to carry a gun because animals and people both can still kill if wounded. And more people get shot with their own guns then some people realize. It is sad we have to be aware of things. My husband takes me to the trail head and I NEVER camp where I am easily accessible to humans, unless they are hiking as well! lol

On a more cheerful note, to the present time there has been very little crime on the PCT, due largely I am sure to the fact that so much of it is not easily accessible. With 2600 miles of trail and less then 5 or 6 hundred people hiking it each year, the odds of someone sitting somewhere on the off chance of catching a lone hiker are much smaller then they would be on the AT, There are different sections of course which are more popular, and therefore more dangerous. But no matter where you go and what you do vigilance is important. I take a two week trip with 6 grandchildren each summer to WA and I have to say I am constantly on the alert when that happens. We have to stop obviously for restrooms and food, so I am extremely cautious when on those trips, as well as when I am backpacking.

Thank you for being concerned!

Jane

There was something in the news about a lovely young woman who was hiking in the north Georgia mountains with her Labrador Retriever (it did not specify the Appalachian Trail, but apparently, not far off). She was murdered by a crazy local man and her dog found miles away in a retail parking lot. One reads of things like this from time to time on the AT, and I would assume it is a consideration when hiking alone or a very small group anywhere in the wilderness. I would have thought of the dog as an effective deterrent, perhaps, but it depends on the dog, I guess. Do you carry any sort of weapon when you hike, Jane? Sad that we have to worry about other people in God's beautiful outdoors.

My daughter hikes in the woods, and takes her dog. He is the only people agressive dog we have, and it is fear agression, but very handy, because he will growl and bark if anyone tries to approach her. He can be ordered to stop, but she, wisely, only does this if the person is someone she knows. I don't know if he would actually bite, but if she and I do not know, neither does the stranger.

W

W

Re: Pacific Creast Trail

lol...I wasn't thinking of that Elaine...I was just thinking of the virtual as opposed to the real! lol...There are some great through hiker journals out there on the PCT journal website and lots of really great pictures! Check out as many as you can.

I was privileged to meet a few of the thru hikers this year, including a 12 year old boy and his dad. They had thru hiked the Appalachian when he was ten. It was cool! (their journal is under Troll and Oblivious at the PCT journal website)

Jane

In a message dated 1/13/2008 9:12:39 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, elrolegmail writes:

Oh, Jane, I didn't forget about you! I had recommended the other journal only because it had so many fabulous pictures of the entire trail and I thought Janet could check out what the trail looks like as she walks it.

Yes, being out there with the bugs has its merits, lol.

Take care.

Elaine

lol...I do it with the bugs etc! that is the trail I was on in 2006 when I was missing, and I wnet back out

last summer. That is the trail I turned 50 on. And I am planning to do at least 100 miles of it this year.

Jane

In a message dated 1/13/2008 10:40:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, elrolegmail writes:

Hi Janet, while you "walk" the PCT, you may want to view pictures of the beautiful stretches you are walking, and read about them on this journal. There are other journals of the trail but this one has incredible pictures. Like being there without the bugs/cold/heat, etc, lol.

Take care.

Elaine

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1222 - Release Date: 1/13/2008 12:23 PM

There was something in the news about a lovely young woman who was hiking in the north Georgia mountains with her Labrador Retriever (it did not specify the Appalachian Trail, but apparently, not far off). She was murdered by a crazy local man and her dog found miles away in a retail parking lot. One reads of things like this from time to time on the AT, and I would assume it is a consideration when hiking alone or a very small group anywhere in the wilderness. I would have thought of the dog as an effective deterrent, perhaps, but it depends on the dog, I guess. Do you carry any sort of weapon when you hike, Jane? Sad that we have to worry about other people in God's beautiful outdoors.

My daughter hikes in the woods, and takes her dog. He is the only people agressive dog we have, and it is fear agression, but very handy, because he will growl and bark if anyone tries to approach her. He can be ordered to stop, but she, wisely, only does this if the person is someone she knows. I don't know if he would actually bite, but if she and I do not know, neither does the stranger.

W

W

lol...I wasn't thinking of that Elaine...I was just thinking of the virtual as opposed to the real! lol...There are some great through hiker journals out there on the PCT journal website and lots of really great pictures! Check out as many as you can.

I was privileged to meet a few of the thru hikers this year, including a 12 year old boy and his dad. They had thru hiked the Appalachian when he was ten. It was cool! (their journal is under Troll and Oblivious at the PCT journal website)

Jane

In a message dated 1/13/2008 9:12:39 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, elrolegmail writes:

Oh, Jane, I didn't forget about you! I had recommended the other journal only because it had so many fabulous pictures of the entire trail and I thought Janet could check out what the trail looks like as she walks it.

Take care.

Elaine

Jane

In a message dated 1/13/2008 10:40:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, elrolegmail writes:

Take care.

Elaine

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1222 - Release Date: 1/13/2008 12:23 PM

I heard about this on the news, . It's terribly sad. Esp when it's such a promising life that is extinguished.

Elaine

W

W

I feel reassured for your safety, Jane. Thanks for filling me in. It is logical to think that you would have given all aspects of safety a lot of thought, especially when taking the grandchildren with you. What a shame that the animal we have to be careful of is a fellow human being.

On the other hand, I read somewhere that there are people who leave water and snacks at accessible places on the trails for walkers. Better to be ready for the baddies and thankful for all the goodhearted people.

Jane

Take care.

Elaine

Jane

Take care.

Elaine

Did you see the moving tribute from her boyfriend? One aches for him and all who loved her. She sounds like an extremely special person. Such a loss.

I heard about this on the news, . It's terribly sad. Esp when it's such a promising life that is extinguished.

Elaine

On 1/13/08, labtrek1941 <labtrek1941bellsouth (DOT) net> wrote:

W

W

Oh, Jane, I didn't forget about you! I had recommended the other journal only because it had so many fabulous pictures of the entire trail and I

And if I forgot to say so, thank you for that! I have it bookmarked!

JanetStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

I didn't see that, , but I saw the picture of her father walking away from a news conference with a police woman after they found out she was dead. It's so sad.

Did you see the moving tribute from her boyfriend? One aches for him and all who loved her. She sounds like an extremely special person. Such a loss.

Elaine

On 1/13/08, labtrek1941 <

labtrek1941@...> wrote:

W

W

Yes they are called trail angels and I for one have been thankful for them on more then one occasion. They don't do it easy either, sometimes following jeep roads, or hauling things in by horseback or llama, or even making repeated trips up mountains on foot to haul water into dry stretches. We love them!

Jane

I feel reassured for your safety, Jane. Thanks for filling me in. It is logical to think that you would have given all aspects of safety a lot of thought, especially when taking the grandchildren with you. What a shame that the animal we have to be careful of is a fellow human being.

On the other hand, I read somewhere that there are people who leave water and snacks at accessible places on the trails for walkers. Better to be ready for the baddies and thankful for all the goodhearted people.

Jane

Take care.

Elaine

Jane

Take care.

Elaine

You're welcome.

Elaine

Oh, Jane, I didn't forget about you! I had recommended the other journal only because it had so many fabulous pictures of the entire trail and I

And if I forgot to say so, thank you for that! I have it bookmarked!

Janet

Start the year off right.

Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

it is a conundrum that the trails which are more popular and therefore make people feel safer are actually the ones that are more dangerous, both from animals and from humans. There are myriads of day, overnight, and weekend hikes around here that I would think very carefully before hiking alone on. Even the bike/hike trail that winds around through Redding has had lone people attacked on it. I would never go out on it alone...and I would be very careful if I was with my babies. In fact I have never taken them on it.

Jane

speaking of crazies on the trail. there has been 2 or 3 murders up inwashington state on the hiking trails. i dont think the police haveyet to say if they think it's a serial murderer, but everyone, pleasebe careful. there are also plenty of places within 1 hour of my home where youhave to be very careful, there are some very crazy meth heads andmarajuana growers out there that booby trap their areas get verylooney being out on their own for so long. i'd really like to gohiking with someone a lot more observant, as i'm used to it being sosafe and i dont really know how to be so careful anymore.laurie > > > > > lol...I do it with the bugs etc! that is the trail I was on in 2006when I > was missing, and I wnet back out> last summer. That is the trail I turned 50 on. And I am planning todo at > least 100 miles of it this year.> Jane> > > > In a message dated 1/13/2008 10:40:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, > _elrole@..._ (mailto:elrole@...) writes:> > > > > _http://trailjournalhttp://trailjourhtt_ > (http://trailjournals.com/pctpurebound/) > > Hi Janet, while you "walk" the PCT, you may want to view pictures of the > beautiful stretches you are walking, and read about them on thisjournal. There > are other journals of the trail but this one has incrediblepictures. Like > being there without the bugs/cold/heat, etc, lol. > > Take care.> > Elaine> > > > > > > > > > > ____________________________________> Start the year off right. _Easy ways to stay in shape_ >(http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489)in the new year. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________________________________> Start the year off right. _Easy ways to stay in shape_ >(http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489)in the new year. > > > ____________________________________> No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1222 - Release Date:1/13/2008 > 12:23 PM> > > > > > > > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.> http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489> Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

speaking of crazies on the trail. there has been 2 or 3 murders up in

washington state on the hiking trails. i dont think the police have

yet to say if they think it's a serial murderer, but everyone, please

be careful.

there are also plenty of places within 1 hour of my home where you

have to be very careful, there are some very crazy meth heads and

marajuana growers out there that booby trap their areas get very

looney being out on their own for so long. i'd really like to go

hiking with someone a lot more observant, as i'm used to it being so

safe and i dont really know how to be so careful anymore.

laurie

>

>

>

>

> lol...I do it with the bugs etc! that is the trail I was on in 2006

when I

> was missing, and I wnet back out

> last summer. That is the trail I turned 50 on. And I am planning to

do at

> least 100 miles of it this year.

> Jane

>

>

>

> In a message dated 1/13/2008 10:40:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

> _elrole@..._ (mailto:elrole@...) writes:

>

>

>

>

> _http://trailjournalhttp://trailjourhtt_

> (http://trailjournals.com/pctpurebound/)

>

> Hi Janet, while you " walk " the PCT, you may want to view pictures

of the

> beautiful stretches you are walking, and read about them on this

journal. There

> are other journals of the trail but this one has incredible

pictures. Like

> being there without the bugs/cold/heat, etc, lol.

>

> Take care.

>

> Elaine

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ____________________________________

> Start the year off right. _Easy ways to stay in shape_

>

(http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489)

in the new year.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Start the year off right. _Easy ways to stay in shape_

>

(http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489)

in the new year.

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1222 - Release Date:

1/13/2008

> 12:23 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.

> http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

>