RemedySpot.com

2'nd attempt Re: New Orleans SPCA

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am sure I replied to the below message yesterday but it appears that the reply went to NeverNever Land.

As to the New Orleans SPCA I am probably too close to it to have noticed its reputation.

In my next post I'll elaborate more on the SPCA but suffice to say since Katrina it has relocated to another part of the city. In fact across the river from its previous location.

http://www.la-spca.org/

The new location is a bigger land area than that of the pre Katrina location. As to the funding for this location I have no idea the surce.

Gerard

--------- Re: ultimate exercise solution

One problem is, when animals are found like this, who do you call. A couple years ago in RI, several homes full of cats were found and reported. Animal control came in and killed most of the animals citing stupid, flimsy reasons. It's not okay to have 80 cats. No doubt about it, esp since most of these people don't neuter them so they inbred and increase the population. However the cats weren't being mistreated, were being fed and watered and probably petted. If the state couldn't deal with it (and they weren't expected to be able to) the cats should have been left where they were. Then a rescue group could have gone in and helped the owners deal with the situation. Again it's hard because these people often don't understand they need help, with the cats and probably some other issues. But killing the animals is wrong and i have to wonder about people who want to kill animals for no reason

I don't know the answer. It's taking a bad situation and making it bad.

In California, animal control kills many of the animals they take in unless rescue groups can take them. Right now Santa Clara County wants to kill all (feral - but do they know which they are catching) cats on their property. They were going to kill them outright but when enough people complained about that, said they would take them to the pound. Well the pound can't care for the ones it has now and an influx of a large number of cats will overwhelm it and overwhelm the rescue orgs. They will kill them. The animals are doing okay where they are and many rescue groups have offered to neuter the cats and release them back to their colonies. The county says it doesn't have money to deal with the cats and that's why they have to kill them. How much money does it take to leave them alone? It makes no sense.

On 1/7/08, DreamOn145aol <DreamOn145aol> wrote:

In a message dated 1/7/2008 1:20:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, elrolegmail writes:

BTW, the reason I heard about the bird story is I saw a headline about it because the woman died a couple weeks ago due to a combination of drugs she was taking.

For some reason people with mental health issues frequently drag animals into it. One of our nurses runs a cat rescue and another rescues Rottweilers. Last year we were able to shut down a situation where a woman had attempted to breed dogs for money to save her farm and the work got out of hand and then she got sick and everything snowballed. It was a very very bad situation by the time I was called in as a nurse and found all this. Fortunately the local animal protection agency was able to help. I hear the situation in Maine recently where over 200 dogs were rescued was also called in by a home health nurse.

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1213 - Release Date: 1/7/2008 9:14 AM

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1222 - Release Date: 1/13/2008 12:23 PM