RemedySpot.com

Re: Warfarin

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

HiThe thing about Warfarin is that you are either on it or not on it! The dosage is adjusted according to blood tests and so the dosage can change depending on those. If the Warfarin is deemed necessary, there are things that can be done to ameliorate its adverse effects - herbs, diet. The main thing to think about is cooling and protecting the blood as Warfarin heats and activates it.RegardsDr GascoigneMedical doctor, acupuncturist, herbalistClinics in Bath & Tetbury, UKTel: +44 (0) 79 88 05 92 01Also, Bandon, Co. Cork, IrelandTel: +353 (0) 87 9266234Website: www.drgascoigne.comOn 19 Jul 2012, at 14:16, "naturepath_uk" wrote:

I have a patient who is on warfarin, and doctor is planning to increase his dose, but patient does not want to, and wants to use natural means to do this, he is prepared to change diet etc, and of course, take herbs,

An additional complication is that he has a heart valve defect too,

Advice on both counts would be very useful,

thankyou

Guest guest

So what you are saying is that there is nothing much I can do with the dose of Warfarin, but I can make it easier for him to take it, cooling and protecting the blood - which herbs would you suggest?I am seeing him again today, and will get a chance to see the blood tests, Warm wishesShobanaNaturopath, Herbalist, Iridologist, Allergy Therapistshobana@...Tel: 07817 415518www.naturepath.co.uk HiThe thing about Warfarin is that you are either on it or not on it! The dosage is adjusted according to blood tests and so the dosage can change depending on those. If the Warfarin is deemed necessary, there are things that can be done to ameliorate its adverse effects - herbs, diet. The main thing to think about is cooling and protecting the blood as Warfarin heats and activates it.RegardsDr GascoigneMedical doctor, acupuncturist, herbalistClinics in Bath & Tetbury, UKTel: +44 (0) 79 88 05 92 01Also, Bandon, Co. Cork, IrelandTel: +353 (0) 87 9266234Website: www.drgascoigne.comOn 19 Jul 2012, at 14:16, "naturepath_uk" wrote: I have a patient who is on warfarin, and doctor is planning to increase his dose, but patient does not want to, and wants to use natural means to do this, he is prepared to change diet etc, and of course, take herbs, An additional complication is that he has a heart valve defect too, Advice on both counts would be very useful, thankyou

Guest guest

HiAs Warfarin is used as an anticoagulant, it is either working or not working - the dosage is adjusted according to blood results which check on the degree of anticoagulation. That is why the dosage can change slightly every 3 weeks or so when the blood is checked.So, if there are clinical indications as to the need for anticoagulation, you can only work with trying to ameliorate any adverse effects. Herbs that I may consider from the perspective of Chinese medicine would be angelica, polygonum, raw rehmannia, white peony root, moutan bark. The one thing to be careful about with Warfarin is that the herbal formula must not be primarily a blood moving formula. It is fine to use herbs such as angelica or sage in a formula so long as the overall formula effect is to nourish Blood.RegardsDr GascoigneMedical doctor, acupuncturist, herbalistClinics in Bath & Tetbury, UKTel: +44 (0) 79 88 05 92 01Also, Bandon, Co. Cork, IrelandTel: +353 (0) 87 9266234Website: www.drgascoigne.comOn 23 Jul 2012, at 09:45, Shobana Patel wrote:

So what you are saying is that there is nothing much I can do with the dose of Warfarin, but I can make it easier for him to take it, cooling and protecting the blood - which herbs would you suggest?I am seeing him again today, and will get a chance to see the blood tests, Warm wishesShobanaNaturopath, Herbalist, Iridologist, Allergy Therapistshobana@...Tel: 07817 415518www.naturepath.co.uk HiThe thing about Warfarin is that you are either on it or not on it! The dosage is adjusted according to blood tests and so the dosage can change depending on those. If the Warfarin is deemed necessary, there are things that can be done to ameliorate its adverse effects - herbs, diet. The main thing to think about is cooling and protecting the blood as Warfarin heats and activates it.RegardsDr GascoigneMedical doctor, acupuncturist, herbalistClinics in Bath & Tetbury, UKTel: +44 (0) 79 88 05 92 01Also, Bandon, Co. Cork, IrelandTel: +353 (0) 87 9266234Website: www.drgascoigne.comOn 19 Jul 2012, at 14:16, "naturepath_uk" wrote: I have a patient who is on warfarin, and doctor is planning to increase his dose, but patient does not want to, and wants to use natural means to do this, he is prepared to change diet etc, and of course, take herbs, An additional complication is that he has a heart valve defect too, Advice on both counts would be very useful, thankyou

Guest guest

Hi , I think it is important to specify that this is european angelica (archangelica). I have seen decreased clotting time with someone taking chinese angelica (dang qui), and it is mentioned as contra-indicated in the literature.All the best, Marilena. To: ukherbal-list From: gasco@...Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 16:50:20 +0100Subject: Re: Warfarin

HiAs Warfarin is used as an anticoagulant, it is either working or not working - the dosage is adjusted according to blood results which check on the degree of anticoagulation. That is why the dosage can change slightly every 3 weeks or so when the blood is checked.So, if there are clinical indications as to the need for anticoagulation, you can only work with trying to ameliorate any adverse effects. Herbs that I may consider from the perspective of Chinese medicine would be angelica, polygonum, raw rehmannia, white peony root, moutan bark. The one thing to be careful about with Warfarin is that the herbal formula must not be primarily a blood moving formula. It is fine to use herbs such as angelica or sage in a formula so long as the overall formula effect is to nourish Blood.RegardsDr GascoigneMedical doctor, acupuncturist, herbalistClinics in Bath & Tetbury, UKTel: +44 (0) 79 88 05 92 01Also, Bandon, Co. Cork, IrelandTel: +353 (0) 87 9266234Website: www.drgascoigne.comOn 23 Jul 2012, at 09:45, Shobana Patel wrote:

Guest guest

HiThat is why you should not use angelica sinesis on its own with Warfarin. I am not familiar with other types so cannot comment. Taking angelica sinensis as part of an overall formula to protect and nourish has never changed INR tests in my experience. In fact, angelica is often an integral part of any formula that I use.RegardsDr GascoigneMedical doctor, acupuncturist, herbalistClinics in Bath & Tetbury, UKTel: +44 (0) 79 88 05 92 01Also, Bandon, Co. Cork, IrelandTel: +353 (0) 87 9266234Website: www.drgascoigne.comOn 23 Jul 2012, at 17:37, marilena hettema wrote:

Hi , I think it is important to specify that this is european angelica (archangelica). I have seen decreased clotting time with someone taking chinese angelica (dang qui), and it is mentioned as contra-indicated in the literature.All the best, Marilena. To: ukherbal-list From: gasco@...Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 16:50:20 +0100Subject: Re: Warfarin