RemedySpot.com

Re: two questions: maca and rub on magnesium

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

The maca will push her adrenals. She needs nourishing not pushing. J Fidler, MCPP, (RH) AHGHerbalist To: ukherbal-list Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:33 AM Subject: two questions: maca and rub on magnesium

i have a patient who has been recommended by a reflexologist to rub magnesium oil onto her abdomen if she has any period pains. Has anyone used/recommended this? I'm not quite sure how this would work.

Second question. Same patient has just come back from a retreat and was given maca powder to use as an adaptogen. She wants to know if she can use it. I'm working with her specifically for hyperadrenalism - she has constant tremor which has massively improved through her herbal medicine. I know nothing about maca but what i've googled and although it says its an adaptogen, it seems to be a massive stimulant. Is this the case? The lady is completely caffeine free due to the hyperadrenalism and I want to be sure this won't ultimately set her back. Any help with these two issues would be much appreciated.

R Dow B.Sc.(Hons)B.A.(Hons), M.Sc.

Guest guest

The mag oil is made from magnesium glycinate crystals. Just dissolve in hot water - the solution looks a little "oily". It should help muscle spasms locally. J Fidler, MCPP, (RH) AHGHerbalist To: ukherbal-list Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:33 AM Subject:

two questions: maca and rub on magnesium

i have a patient who has been recommended by a reflexologist to rub magnesium oil onto her abdomen if she has any period pains. Has anyone used/recommended this? I'm not quite sure how this would work.

Second question. Same patient has just come back from a retreat and was given maca powder to use as an adaptogen. She wants to know if she can use it. I'm working with her specifically for hyperadrenalism - she has constant tremor which has massively improved through her herbal medicine. I know nothing about maca but what i've googled and although it says its an adaptogen, it seems to be a massive stimulant. Is this the case? The lady is completely caffeine free due to the hyperadrenalism and I want to be sure this won't ultimately set her back. Any help with these two issues would be much appreciated.

Guest guest

thank you so much guys for your comments. I've read a little more on maca and wouldn't be very happy with her taking it - i've been working "supporting" and nourishing adrenal function for some time with her with good results and certainly everything i've read seems contraindicated.

re the magnesium - would taking magnesium supplement have the same effects?

Guest guest

hi

you dont need to dissolve anything as magnesium "oil "is sold as a spray by a company called " better you" .it is in fact magnesium chloride and water and does have a weird oily feel to it.

some people find it really helpful for insomnia and muscle aches and spasms. I actually bought it to help with sleep but it didnt do anything for me.

regards ,annette

No virus found in this message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.comVersion: 2012.0.2196 / Virus Database: 2437/5140 - Release Date: 07/18/12

Guest guest

Oops, you're right. Chloride not glycinate. J Fidler, MCPP, (RH) AHGHerbalist To: ukherbal-list Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:39 AM Subject: Re: two questions: maca and rub on magnesium

hi

you dont need to dissolve anything as magnesium "oil "is sold as a spray by a company called " better you" .it is in fact magnesium chloride and water and does have a weird oily feel to it.

some people find it really helpful for insomnia and muscle aches and spasms. I actually bought it to help with sleep but it didnt do anything for me.

regards ,annette

No virus found in this message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.comVersion: 2012.0.2196 / Virus Database: 2437/5140 - Release Date: 07/18/12

Guest guest

I would think taking it would be better..... J Fidler, MCPP, (RH) AHGHerbalist To: ukherbal-list Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:30 AM Subject: Re: two questions: maca and rub on magnesium

thank you so much guys for your comments. I've read a little more on maca and wouldn't be very happy with her taking it - i've been working "supporting" and nourishing adrenal function for some time with her with good results and certainly everything i've read seems contraindicated.

Guest guest

Epsom salt (mag.sulfate salts) baths are also helpful.julieTo: ukherbal-list From: jeanrdow@...Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 11:30:44 -0400Subject: Re: two questions: maca and rub on magnesium

Guest guest

I think magnesium oil is fantastic if someone is mag deficient. I used

it in pregnancy twice. I find it gets in there quicker than oral

magnesium and bypasses any digestive effects you sometimes get taking it

orally (if they are low HCl, it may not all be absorbed at once and can

cause diarrhoea). I used it for heart arrhythmia and it started working

the day I took it.

Schia ;)

--

Schia MNIMH

Medical Herbalist

Cambridge

www.cambridgeherbalist.org.uk

Guest guest

Hi Jean

Here in northern Peru maca is sold as a vegetable, not seen as a massive

stimulant. There is an extensive herb section at our local market as well, but

it is not sold there, but rather along with the fruit and veg. Also the powder

is added to many things that you can buy in the supermarket, especially oats for

a breakfast drink (here they make their porridge very thin and drink it). Also

added to cookies.

Sue

Guest guest

Schia's post got me thinking as I've just seen a client with

osteoporosis and IBS and although she loves green leafy veg, they go

straight through her and she feels she doesn't absorb other vitamins and

minerals well either, I suspect low stomach acid at the root of it. So..

would magnesium oil massage or Epsom salts bath be a good source of Mg

for her too do you think?

a

Schia: " I think magnesium oil is fantastic if someone is mag deficient.

I used

it in pregnancy twice. I find it gets in there quicker than oral

magnesium and bypasses any digestive effects you sometimes get taking

it

orally (if they are low HCl, it may not all be absorbed at once and can

cause diarrhoea). I used it for heart arrhythmia and it started working

the day I took it. "

Guest guest

Quite possibly.  Especially if you think she needs Mg.  Or you can

try increasing her stomach acid...?

Schia :)

Schia's post got me thinking as I've just seen a client

with

osteoporosis and IBS and although she loves green leafy

veg, they go

straight through her and she feels she doesn't absorb

other vitamins and

minerals well either, I suspect low stomach acid at the

root of it. So..

would magnesium oil massage or Epsom salts bath be a good

source of Mg

for her too do you think?

a

No virus

found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 2012.0.2197 / Virus Database: 2437/5142 - Release Date:

07/19/12

-- Schia MNIMH

Medical Herbalist

Cambridge

www.cambridgeherbalist.org.uk

Guest guest

In many people transdermal magnesium is meant to be more effectively absorbed than oral.Epsom salts are good in full baths or foot baths or the oil spay also has good results.As Sue said, Maca is traditionally a nourishing food. In some it can be stimulating but it's also very nutritive and building. A bit like how Ashwagandha and Eleuthero can be relaxing in some but stimulating in others. Why not get her to try it for a couple of days and see how she feels? You can usually tell quickly if something is too stimulating. Reactions to many adaptogens seem very personal and constitutional. Pitta type people often get overstimulated by ones that are warming, where as other constitutions may benefit greatly from them. Personally I find it very nourishing and can take large amounts, it gives

energy for sure, but in a balanced way. (Where as caffeine sends me loopy so the very opposite of you !)Encourage her to trust her body and how it feels.