RemedySpot.com

Update n Newbie - Any advice appreciated please!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello everyone, I can assure you that the prednisone will cause way more damage than the EN itself. With that said, I realize that at times it is the only option. I have had my bumps for well over a year now and have been tested for everything under the moon. To date, I have RA, osteoarthritis, and now it seems that i have a thyroid issue. The arthritis was confirmed until last year, same with the osteoarthritis. The osteoporosis WAS caused by the long term prednisone use. I have had EN for 22 years and prednisone was the go to treatment for many years. What does this mean today, well chronic pain. The osteoporosis is in my back, tail bone, knees. Along with a body ridden with arthritis and en my treatment is Orencia shots weekly, methotrexate, cymbalta, Nucenta, and vicodin. My hair is very thin because of the latest treatment of prednisone and the thyroid that isn't under control yet. Yes, I have the nodules on my legs and they have not gone away. One will disappear and another will come along. Anytime my body has something funky going on, they rear their head. On top of all this, I am trying to find work. I have no other choice as I am not on disability. I wish I could be though. I wish that I had a bunch of positive news, but I just don't don't. Love, AJ Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint!----- Reply message -----Date: Fri, Apr 6, 2012 11:03 pmSubject: Re: Newbie - Any advice appreciated please!To: <erythema_nodosum_Group > Hi Caroline and ,I haven't participated in the forum for some time, however I thought it timely as there are newcomers to this website all the time, and although this site does not have all the answers, what helps is the knowledge that we are not alone.It is an unfortunate fact that the medical profession will deal with the symptoms but not necessarily the causes of EN, as it is simply too difficult to do so, as we are all reacting to different things. It took me 25 years to discover that I didn't have and underlying TB condition, nor did I have Strep Throat 3 times a year, nor was I stressed out continuously. I did however have digestive problems and chronic constipation, both of which the doctors informed me were unrelated to ER. I think, however, they were wrong. Many times I went to various Naturopaths who suggested I turn to a vegetarian diet (I lost most of my hair doing this), or suggesting that I try Chinese Herbs (I had an EN attack soon after), I finally went separately but simultaneously to a Naturopath and a Homeopath who both suggested that I try looking at Food Allergies. It seems that I have been allergic to Gluten, not as severe as a Coeliac, but enough to damage my immune system, so that now I am allergic to a number of other foods as well.Can I suggest that you try being tested for food allergies, as treating EN with prednisone for years can add further complications to your lives.Good Luck, remember that your trigger may not necessarily be the same as the next person's trigger.Vicki Hi Caroline! I have just joined the group too so I guess we're both newbies! My EN started on my left shin in August 2006, was resolved with long-term use of Prednisone (with all the wonderful things that go with taking it), was EN-free for just over a year and last August (again) they came back, but this time on my other leg. It seems that one heals and another two take its' place. Now they've started on my left ankle. I have had numerous tests to determine the cause, to no avail. I've been under a great amount of stress the past year and 1/2 and I believe that mine was caused by stress screwing with my immune system. I have a new doctor who is stumped and on my last visit, he ordered a strong anti-inflammatory (Celebrex), regular tylenol for the pain (when you're on anti-inflammatories, Advil is a bad idea) and a narcotic painkiller to help with the pain at night. One thing I've tried, and sort-of works, is the pain meds for sure, but also, my husband will rub where the edema is around the ankle with Bio-Oil and it always feels better after that. Raising my feet up so that the swelling drains helps too, as well as cold compresses and warm baths eith epsom salts. The pain keeps me from walkiing, doing any kind of work on my feet (unless I take pain meds first) and, of course, also keeps me from sleeping well. They are supposed to be self-limiting, but I don't see that in my case. They get worse, better, worse again, more pop up, the area swells and makes it painful to even just rotate my ankle... it can be very frustrating, especially if you can't find the cause. I understand where you're coming from, and hope we can help each other cope! > > Hi everyone, > > I have just joined the group. Need some advice on several things but a bit of background fiurst! - It was about 6 weeks ago I first noticed a couple of bumps on the back of my calves that looked like insect bites. > > Over the next few weeks there became more and more of them. I went to the doc and because I have a cat she said it looked like I had had a reaction to flea bites. > > I wasn't convinced so I googled the sypmtoms and came to the conclusion I had EN. I went back to see another doctor and he confirmed this. We don't know the cause. About a week after I first got the lumps I had a sore throat which lasted 4 or 5 days but that's gone now. The doc said it can be caused by a sterp virus? He didn't do any tests, just said take ibuprofen and it should subside on it's own over time. > > However I am wondering whether it is a drug reaction. I was on Minocycline for 4 months for Acne cea, it was working fine but I was worried about continuing on antibiotics for so long so I was put on Oxytetrcycline as apparently it was safer long term. Well within a few days of being on this my face broke out in tons of little pimples under my skin so I stopped them immediately. Then about a week later I got EN symptoms. Could it be a delayed reaction? > > 6 weeks on they show no sign of going. I have the lumps on both calves, last week they broke out on the side of my thighs and a couple on each forearm. I have a very painful area on one knee, both ankles are swollen and one foot! > > One last thing - does alcohol make symtoms worse? Symtpoms seemd to go down on Thursday and I was thinking great maybe it's on it's way out. However I was last night and had several drinks and this morning, well, it was worse than ever! My skin all over both calves was very red and tight and shiny looking, one lump appears to have dry scab type skin on it and I could barely walk :-( > > Anyway sorry to have waffled for ages. I had never heard of this weird condition until I got it. The body is an odd thing! I am scared it will never go away! Summer is coming and the thought of hiding my legs under trousers all summer is depressing. They look so ugle and I'm sick of the pain! > > Caroline xx >