RemedySpot.com

TX GMO??? Bermuda Grass Kills Herd

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

You may have seen the article on line or the CBS report, but, hybrid Bermuda is not a GMO.

This is from Skeptics Exchange, a science based site:

"The first important point that is completely misrepresented in most articles I've seen about this is that Tifton 85 is not a genetically modified grass, but was created conventionally by crossing Tifton 292 and Tifton 68. See this article about the history and creaton of Tifton 85 bermudagrass for more information.

Using this event to highlight the dangers of GMOs is ignorant at best, this grass is a conventional hybrid, not a GMO.

It is known that certain plants and also grasses can produce cyanide in amounts that are dangerous to livestock (see "Potential for Hydrocyanic Acid Poisoning of Livestock by Indiangrass or Effects of Cyanogenic Plants on Fitness in Two Host Strains of the Fall Armyworm (Spodoptera frugiperda))"

There are many plants that are used every year for livestock feed that can be toxic in the right conditions. An example would be millet or sorghum/Sudan grass, which naturally produces prussic acid, a cyanide compound, in the right conditions.

If anyone would like an explanation of the difference between normal field hybridization and GMO procedures, I would be happy to explain.

Thanks,

Bill

Beaver Dam Beef

Guest guest

Ah, that is what I thought. DixonOzark JewelsNubians and Lamanchaswww.ozarkjewels.net

Subject: TX GMO??? Bermuda Grass Kills HerdTo: "RawDairy " <RawDairy >, "grassfedbeef " <grassfedbeef >Date: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 7:23 PM

You may have seen the article on line or the CBS report, but, hybrid Bermuda is not a GMO.This is from Skeptics Exchange, a science based site:

"The first important point that is completely misrepresented in most articles I've seen about this is that Tifton 85 is not a genetically modified grass, but was created conventionally by crossing Tifton 292 and Tifton 68. See this article about the history and creaton of Tifton 85 bermudagrass for more information.

Using this event to highlight the dangers of GMOs is ignorant at best, this grass is a conventional hybrid, not a GMO.It is known that certain plants and also grasses can produce cyanide in amounts that are dangerous to livestock (see "Potential for Hydrocyanic Acid Poisoning of Livestock by Indiangrass or Effects of Cyanogenic Plants on Fitness in Two Host Strains of the Fall Armyworm (Spodoptera frugiperda))"There are many plants that are used every year for livestock feed that can be toxic in the right conditions. An example would be millet or sorghum/Sudan grass, which naturally produces prussic acid, a cyanide compound, in the right conditions. If anyone would like an

explanation of the difference between normal field hybridization and GMO procedures, I would be happy to explain.Thanks,Bill Beaver Dam Beef