RemedySpot.com

trying to figure out the neuro mechanism...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello Colleagues,

I have a rehab patient (5 yr dashund) who had disc sx 1.5 yrs ago but hasn't been very agressive about rehab post-op. I know that she should be able to at least spinal walk as she is doing pretty well in the UWTM. So, she has been at "dog rehab camp" for the past two weeks here, 24 hrs/day, trying to figure out what works for her. Since the past two days, she has begun to "bicycle" her hind legs while on her back with just minimal stimulation (usually by rubbing her tail, but also pressing on her foot pads) & once she starts those legs moving, they move rhymaticlly for sometimes as long as 5 minutes. Yesterday, we put some 25 g small rocks in the bottoms of small booties to add "weight training". Seems that her mm mass is significantly increased (though i haven't quantified that observation.)

What is the mechanism of this movement? Is this new movement a good prognosis? What else can we do? I think that she is simply quite weak and degenerative in those hinders...muscles/ligaments/etc. She has no deep pain, is continent in as much as she never messes so long as she is stimulated to urinate/defacate about 6/x/day.

thanks

jeanne olson

north pole, ak