RemedySpot.com

response to

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

, My husband worked at the Ti Paper Mill when I met him. I worked at SonRise Lutheran Ministries in Pottersville. J Small world, huh?June in Fairbanks June Strothenke " There is no greater joy, than to know that my child walks in The Truth " Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) From: RawDairy [mailto:RawDairy ] On Behalf Of Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 12:11 PMTo: RawDairy Subject: Re: response to Shaul Schroon Lake? I'm originally from the " big city " a bit to the east of there (Ticonderoga). I'm presently living in Tucson, AZ. Matt, what part of NY are you in? We are originally from Upstate. I grew up in Schenectady and my husband grew up in Schroon Lake. We came to AK in 2004 with the Air Force and loved it so much we decided to stay! June in FairbanksJune Strothenke " There is no greater joy, than to know that my child walks in The Truth " Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) From: RawDairy [mailto:RawDairy ] On Behalf Of shaulSent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 6:03 AMTo: RawDairy Subject: Re: Newbie in Alaska Homesteading in AK takes a lot of resources and dedication through the cold dark winter nights! I speak from years of chores by headlamp for 6-8 months of the year, and hauling warm water to 4 horses and almost a hundred goats twice a day all winter. That is the only thing I DON'T miss about Alaska, but that is one of the main reasons we left. The other was the market is so small, and land prices so high, other then that we would still be there! Matt Newbie in Alaska Hi there. I am a new goat owner/milker/lover <3. Seriously considered getting a dairy cow, but tasted some Saanen milk in March, fell in love and started educating myself over the next month. Got my first milker (2 years old – 1st time mama), Miss Mocha and have been milking her since Mid-April. It was a little daunting at first, but out of necessity, I got the hang of it. Also got two kids, one male, one female. They are Samson and Delilah (two for the price of one) and hope to breed both Miss Mocha and Delilah this Fall. Not sure if Delilah will be strong enough to consider this year; we’ll see. I’ve been making cheese, some of which works well and gets eaten, some that doesn’t and goes to feed out fowl population. We started our homestead with chickens, added ducks and geese, turkeys, rabbits, bees and now goats. Looking forward to learning something from this group, and may even have something to share that I’ve learned from my extensive reading and experimentation. Today I started three batches of buttermilk culture, two batches of buttermilk for buttermilk cheese, two batches of “quark” and just waiting on two quarts of milk to cool to 77 degrees so I can make and store my own mesophilic culture. Found a GREAT book at the library, which I ordered from Amazon.com with really great ideas and directions! I’ll share the info with those interested. So, a hearty greetings from Fairbanks, Alaska!JuneJune Strothenke " There is no greater joy, than to know that my child walks in The Truth " Train up a child in the wa y he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) -- J. 6770 E. Carondelet DriveApt. 112Tucson, AZ 85710-2134Tel.: (520)886-2556Cell: (520)312-0110