RemedySpot.com

Re: shoulder issue

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Andy,I have a slap tear in my left shoulder and tendonitis in my right.  They both have to be " managed " but so far, so good.Right shoulder trouble started 5 years ago through an initial arm-overhead event which caused a bit of irritation, then overuse (including bench, bar dips, and oddly, sleeping on my side), and a long nasty roller-coaster healing process with results that would at times have me barely benching the bar and at times benching almost 300, only to have to back way off again.

About 9 months in, with both shoulders now a lot weaker from lack of training heavy, I did the left shoulder damage carrying 16' Trex deck planks, turning and having them swing about, then trying to stop the motion and causing the tear since the muscles weren't as strong as I was used to.  In 24 years of weight training (at that point) I had never injured a joint, and when I hurt my right shoulder I was very near my strength peak of a couple years prior.  Anyway, left shoulder healing was similar to right shoulder healing.  Slow and inconsistent.  Plus, super hard to do squats.

I saw a surgeon for both shoulders and we went through the options.  He didn't think there was soft tissue damage in the right shoulder, just angry tendons.  On the left shoulder, if it healed it was just a pinch, cuz a tear wouldn't heal.  I didn't like the downtime associated with surgery.   I chose therapy.

Lots of light movements were what the physical terrorist prescribed.  He said the shoulder joint area gets little blood flow, so amp up the blood flow.  Also stretching to maintain range of motion.  And rotator cuff exercises to make those muscles stronger to better stabilize the joint, whether it was a slap tear or not.

He gave me some exercises and I worked them into my regular daily workout.  Progress was slow as stated above.  I got sick of the light movements and never going heavy.  Much of the benefit I get from weight training is the intensity of going heavy and giving it all I have on at least a few reps per workout.  Hitting the 10 as Bill suggests.  I need that exertion, daily, to stay sane.  

The PT said it's all about blood flow, so I said, " ok, I'll give you some blood flow. "  So, I started going heavier, but also treating each set like a heavy/light superset/rehab set, adding a lighter weight opposite or complementary motion to the main exercise.  Basically, adding a set of back or shoulders to every set of chest, or a set of chest or shoulders to every set of back, and so on.  The additional set would usually be a set of 15 reps or so.  

Progress improved much faster, and now I'm nearly back to where I was before the injury.  Last April I had a reminder that my left shoulder is not 100% when I was loading some stuff in my jeep (generator, EZ-up, etc) and handled them like a roadie with good shoulders.  I backed off for a couple weeks and the pain went away pretty quickly.  And I've made strength progress since then.

In addition to the supersets, the other thing that really helps is occasionally laying on my back on a bench and taking a 10lb (or even 5 lb) weight in each hand and reaching/stretching over my head to the floor, arms as straight as possible.  My right hand can easily touch the floor, but I have to work it to get the left hand to the floor.  The PT had me do stretches similar to this during the few sessions we had.

Get it checked out, so you know what you are dealing with.Brett (sorry so long, just thought I'd give you the full story)

ack!  I've been dealing with a torn rotator cuff for months...all the while thinking it was tightness and maybe some inflammation.  Pt, acupuncture, chiropractics for 3 months now.  Finally saw a shoulder surgeon who did an ultrasound (way less expensive than MRI) and he found a tear in the super spinatus. (i don't know how it's spelled!)  Still deciding how to handle from here.  I  highly suggest  just having it looked at.  I feel like I wasted the whole summer screwing around.  At our age, the chance that it's a cuff tear or a slap tear is greater than you expect it to be, and you can get them just from chronic over use... not necessarily an acute injury.

This whole body being older than my mind thing is really a bummer. :(Hope it's something minor!Terri

Last August I did something to my left shoulder going down a water slide and it has been a slight problem ever since. For about 6 months I could not sleep on my left side without pain. Then it got better and no problem.

Then I was running on the trails a couple months ago and tripped and somehow pulled it funny and it hurt again. I mentioned this problem to my chiropractor and he really got in there with his thumbs on a couple different visits and that seemed to fix the problem again and I don't notice it.

I started doing squats again this week and noticed it hurts when I get the bar into position and I am guessing it is partially a flexibility issue. I can lift through even adding weight. I am also trying shoulder dislocations exercise I found on the Stronglifts website http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/

I cannot do this exercise with a broomstick like they demonstrate so my shoulders must be tight. Exercise bands I can get through it. Also, tried the Doorway Pec Stretches and the Thoracic Extension on a foam roller.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know since I am not sure if this will improve as I increase the weight unless these exercises help. I guess I will see if it improves in the next 2 weeks and see what my chiro has to say if still a problem.

Andy

Hi all,

Chiming in from the " over " , over 40 crowd, I just need to say...

First off, howdy! Long time, no post (again).

Secondly... I had a horrific realization that, no matter how much I tried, I

would not have washboard abs or biceps and a chest of steel. ...At least not if

I didn't work for it decades ago.

But, I do know that I can still get to a much healthier state than I am, right

now. Somehow, we need to understand our human limits and fly below that radar.

For me, I know it will be something (well) under where I was just 5 short years

ago.

In my case, it was mostly, because, after I moved my residence I experienced all

kinds of crazy injuries (hip, shoulder, back, forearm, knee, ankles, & more)

that this aging body, though, at that time, likely in the best shape of my life,

seemed to recover from very, very slowly.

There were, and still are, many external stress factors that I have yet balanced

on my plate, too, so that has certainly been another factor for the back-slide.

I did get quite discouraged for quite some time, but, once I realized I won't be

squatting 600 pounds ever again, I have, slowly, (and I mean VERY slowly) looked

into resetting goals and lifestyle.

The third thing, that bit me in the arse, is the slide back to depend on comfort

foods. That is something that I hope none of you ever do, as, that just piles

on the penalty for falling off the exercise wagon.

I still want to be a BFL champion for my family, but, I guess I also need to,

yet, settle into grand-pop-hood, too.

BTW, only down about 14 pounds in the last ~90 days, but, it is a slow start in

the right direction. Plus, my youngest son, is also down about 8 pounds, which

means, it is also working for my family.

I'm feeling like I need to push a bit harder, but, want to take these old bones

slowly back onto that health and fitness path of years gone by.

Great to hear from you all. I'll be looking to hear your progress! As always,

that's what BFL is all about...

Progress, NOT perfection!

---- Original message ----

>Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:56:41 -0500

>From: bodyforlife (on behalf of Therese Luna

)

>Subject: Re: shoulder issue

>To: bodyforlife

>

>

>

> Brett,

> Seriously. These over 40 year old shoulders! I

> wish we could just trade them in for 20 year old

> shoulders!

> I relate to your statement " I need that exertion,

> daily, to stay sane " . I am going absolutely nuts.

> I've had 3 PRP injections (platelet rich

> plasma...they spin out my own blood, and inject my

> own plasma into the injury) in my partially torn

> tendon in an effort to speed the healing process and

> am in the " wait for 6 weeks (and take it easy) to

> see if it helps " stage. I've been running and

> biking and squatting and lunging and doing sit-ups

> and one-armed pushups against the wall. (this is the

> closest i can get to " taking it easy " ). Even

> running up a (steep) hill hurts my shoulder right

> now. The movement that you were doing on the bench,

> over head, straight arms? Hurts just to think about

> that...there's no way I could make that movement

> right now.

> Apparen! tly my case is borderline for whether or

> not the PRP will help. And I'm thoroughly confused

> about whether or not resting it and trying to let it

> heal is a better option than surgery. What I

> absolutely don't want is to rest for 6 months and

> THEN have to have surgery. At this point I'm at 3

> months of PT (and chiropractics and acupuncture) and

> one month of totally resting the shoulder. The

> total rest started with the injections. The surgeon

> says that if in 6 weeks following the final

> injection (5 weeks from now) there is no decrease in

> pain, then he wants to repair it. Of course I don't

> want to do that. But I can't be sure that it isn't

> the right thing to do. Did I mention how confused I

> am?!

>

>

>

>

>

> Andy,

>

> I have a slap tear in my left shoulder and

> tendonitis in my right. They both have to be

> " managed " but so far, so good.

> Right shoulder trouble started 5 years ago through

> an initial arm-overhead event which caused a bit

> of irritation, then overuse (including bench, bar

> dips, and oddly, sleeping on my side), and a long

> nasty roller-coaster healing process with results

> that would at times have me barely benching the

> bar and at times benching almost 300, only to have

> to back way off again.

> About 9 months in, with both shoulders now a lot

> weaker from lack of training heavy, I did the left

> shoulder damage carrying 16' Trex deck planks,

> turning and having them swing about, then trying

> to stop the motion and causing the tear since the

> muscles weren't as strong as I was used to. In 24

> years of weight training (at that point) I had

> never injured a joint, and when I hurt my right

> shoulder I was very near my strength peak of a

> couple years prior. Anyway, left shoulder healing

> was similar to right shoulder healing. Slow and

> inconsistent. Plus, super hard to do squats.

> I saw a surgeon for both shoulders and we went

> through the options. He didn't think there was

> soft tissue damage in the right shoulder, just

> angry tendons. On the left shoulder, if it healed

> it was just a pinch, cuz a tear wouldn't heal. I

> didn't like the downtime associated with surgery.

> I chose therapy.

> Lots of light movements were what the physical

> terrorist prescribed. He said the shoulder joint

> area gets little blood flow, so amp up the blood

> flow. Also stretching to maintain range of

> motion. And rotator cuff exercises to make those

> muscles stronger to better stabilize the joint,

> whether it was a slap tear or not.

> He gave me some exercises and I worked them into

> my regular daily workout. Progress was slow as

> stated above. I got sick of the light movements

> and never going heavy. Much of the benefit I get

> from weight training is the intensity of going

> heavy and giving it all I have on at least a few

> reps per workout. Hitting the 10 as Bill

> suggests. I need that exertion, daily, to stay

> sane.

> The PT said it's all about blood flow, so I said,

> " ok, I'll give you some blood flow. " So, I

> started going heavier, but also treating each set

> like a heavy/light superset/rehab set, adding a

> lighter weight opposite or complementary motion to

> the main exercise. Basically, adding a set of

> back or shoulders to every set of chest, or a set

> of chest or shoulders to every set of back, and so

> on. The additional set would usually be a set of

> 15 reps or so.

> Progress improved much faster, and now I'm nearly

> back to where I was before the injury. Last April

> I had a reminder that my left shoulder is not 100%

> when I was loading some stuff in my jeep

> (generator, EZ-up, etc) and handled them like a

> roadie with good shoulders. I backed off for a

> couple weeks and the pain went away pretty

> quickly. And I've made strength progress since

> then.

> In addition to the supersets, the other thing that

> really helps is occasionally laying on my back on

> a bench and taking a 10lb (or even 5 lb) weight in

> each hand and reaching/stretching over my head to

> the floor, arms as straight as possible. My right

> hand can easily touch the floor, but I have to

> work it to get the left hand to the floor. The PT

> had me do stretches similar to this during the few

> sessions we had.

> Get it checked out, so you know what you are

> dealing with.

> Brett (sorry so long, just thought I'd give you

> the full story)

>

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Therese Luna

> wrote:

>

> ack! I've been dealing with a torn rotator cuff

> for months...all the while thinking it was

> tightness and maybe some inflammation. Pt,

> acupuncture, chiropractics for 3 months now.

> Finally saw a shoulder surgeon who did an

> ultrasound (way less expensive than MRI) and he

> found a tear in the super spinatus. (i don't

> know how it's spelled!) Still deciding how to

> handle from here. I highly suggest just

> having it looked at. I feel like I wasted the

> whole summer screwing around. At our age, the

> chance that it's a cuff tear or a slap tear is

> greater than you expect it to be, and you can

> get them just from chronic over use... not

> necessarily an acute injury.

> This whole body being older than my mind thing

> is really a bummer. :(

> Hope it's something minor!

> Terri

>

>

>

>

> Last August I did something to my left

> shoulder going down a water slide and it has

> been a slight problem ever since. For about 6

> months I could not sleep on my left side

> without pain. Then it got better and no

> problem.

>

> Then I was running on the trails a couple

> months ago and tripped and somehow pulled it

> funny and it hurt again. I mentioned this

> problem to my chiropractor and he really got

> in there with his thumbs on a couple different

> visits and that seemed to fix the problem

> again and I don't notice it.

>

> I started doing squats again this week and

> noticed it hurts when I get the bar into

> position and I am guessing it is partially a

> flexibility issue. I can lift through even

> adding weight. I am also trying shoulder

> dislocations exercise I found on the

> Stronglifts website

> http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/

>

> I cannot do this exercise with a broomstick

> like they demonstrate so my shoulders must be

> tight. Exercise bands I can get through it.

> Also, tried the Doorway Pec Stretches and the

> Thoracic Extension on a foam roller.

>

> If anyone has any ideas, let me know since I

> am not sure if this will improve as I increase

> the weight unless these exercises help. I

> guess I will see if it improves in the next 2

> weeks and see what my chiro has to say if

> still a problem.

>

> Andy

>

>

Post current pix???? OMG.............a unison barf if I did that. i am such a slob.......this change of lifestyle is the pits body-wise for me. Keeping up with the workout routines, but I hate, hate, totally dispise cardio. Hence, I have not been doing much of it. And it shows. Well, I am in NY doing a milking job from last Friday till the 21st. Then the SU and I are off to Bristol for the races. I won't be back home till the 28th. Have to be home by the 29th, as I have to work that day. Yes, I am now a working stiff. Got a job at the local sale barn filling out health papers for animals crossing the state line. Don't work for the sale barn, I work for the vet clinic that is responsible for doing them. A neighbor gal and I are job sharing, since neither one of us can commit to it on a full-time basis. It's Monday and Wed. afternoons......the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month, and the 3rd Sat. of the month. More sitting on my arse. LOL

Z

Re: shoulder issue >To: bodyforlife >>>> Brett,> Seriously. These over 40 year old shoulders! I> wish we could just trade them in for 20 year old> shoulders!> I relate to your statement "I need that exertion,> daily, to stay sane". I am going absolutely nuts.> I've had 3 PRP injections (platelet rich> plasma...they spin out my own blood, and inject my> own plasma into the injury) in my partially torn> tendon in an effort to speed the healing process and> am in the "wait for 6 weeks (and take it easy) to> see if it helps" stage. I've been running and> biking and squatting and lunging and doing sit-ups> and one-armed pushups against the wall. (this is the> closest i can get to "taking it easy"). Even> running up a (steep) hill hurts my shoulder right> now. The movement that you were doing on the bench,> over head, straight arms? Hurts just to think about> that...there's no way I could make that movement> right now.> Apparen! tly my case is borderline for whether or> not the PRP will help. And I'm thoroughly confused> about whether or not resting it and trying to let it> heal is a better option than surgery. What I> absolutely don't want is to rest for 6 months and> THEN have to have surgery. At this point I'm at 3> months of PT (and chiropractics and acupuncture) and> one month of totally resting the shoulder. The> total rest started with the injections. The surgeon> says that if in 6 weeks following the final> injection (5 weeks from now) there is no decrease in> pain, then he wants to repair it. Of course I don't> want to do that. But I can't be sure that it isn't> the right thing to do. Did I mention how confused I> am?!>> >>>> Andy,>> I have a slap tear in my left shoulder and> tendonitis in my right. They both have to be> "managed" but so far, so good.> Right shoulder trouble started 5 years ago through> an initial arm-overhead event which caused a bit> of irritation, then overuse (including bench, bar> dips, and oddly, sleeping on my side), and a long> nasty roller-coaster healing process with results> that would at times have me barely benching the> bar and at times benching almost 300, only to have> to back way off again.> About 9 months in, with both shoulders now a lot> weaker from lack of training heavy, I did the left> shoulder damage carrying 16' Trex deck planks,> turning and having them swing about, then trying> to stop the motion and causing the tear since the> muscles weren't as strong as I was used to. In 24> years of weight training (at that point) I had> never injured a joint, and when I hurt my right> shoulder I was very near my strength peak of a> couple years prior. Anyway, left shoulder healing> was similar to right shoulder healing. Slow and> inconsistent. Plus, super hard to do squats.> I saw a surgeon for both shoulders and we went> through the options. He didn't think there was> soft tissue damage in the right shoulder, just> angry tendons. On the left shoulder, if it healed> it was just a pinch, cuz a tear wouldn't heal. I> didn't like the downtime associated with surgery.> I chose therapy.> Lots of light movements were what the physical> terrorist prescribed. He said the shoulder joint> area gets little blood flow, so amp up the blood> flow. Also stretching to maintain range of> motion. And rotator cuff exercises to make those> muscles stronger to better stabilize the joint,> whether it was a slap tear or not.> He gave me some exercises and I worked them into> my regular daily workout. Progress was slow as> stated above. I got sick of the light movements> and never going heavy. Much of the benefit I get> from weight training is the intensity of going> heavy and giving it all I have on at least a few> reps per workout. Hitting the 10 as Bill > suggests. I need that exertion, daily, to stay> sane.> The PT said it's all about blood flow, so I said,> "ok, I'll give you some blood flow." So, I> started going heavier, but also treating each set> like a heavy/light superset/rehab set, adding a> lighter weight opposite or complementary motion to> the main exercise. Basically, adding a set of> back or shoulders to every set of chest, or a set> of chest or shoulders to every set of back, and so> on. The additional set would usually be a set of> 15 reps or so.> Progress improved much faster, and now I'm nearly> back to where I was before the injury. Last April> I had a reminder that my left shoulder is not 100%> when I was loading some stuff in my jeep> (generator, EZ-up, etc) and handled them like a> roadie with good shoulders. I backed off for a> couple weeks and the pain went away pretty> quickly. And I've made strength progress since> then.> In addition to the supersets, the other thing that> really helps is occasionally laying on my back on> a bench and taking a 10lb (or even 5 lb) weight in> each hand and reaching/stretching over my head to> the floor, arms as straight as possible. My right> hand can easily touch the floor, but I have to> work it to get the left hand to the floor. The PT> had me do stretches similar to this during the few> sessions we had.> Get it checked out, so you know what you are> dealing with.> Brett (sorry so long, just thought I'd give you> the full story)>> >> ack! I've been dealing with a torn rotator cuff> for months...all the while thinking it was> tightness and maybe some inflammation. Pt,> acupuncture, chiropractics for 3 months now.> Finally saw a shoulder surgeon who did an> ultrasound (way less expensive than MRI) and he> found a tear in the super spinatus. (i don't> know how it's spelled!) Still deciding how to> handle from here. I highly suggest just> having it looked at. I feel like I wasted the> whole summer screwing around. At our age, the> chance that it's a cuff tear or a slap tear is> greater than you expect it to be, and you can> get them just from chronic over use... not> necessarily an acute injury.> This whole body being older than my mind thing> is really a bummer. :(> Hope it's something minor!> Terri> >>>> Last August I did something to my left> shoulder going down a water slide and it has> been a slight problem ever since. For about 6> months I could not sleep on my left side> without pain. Then it got better and no> problem.>> Then I was running on the trails a couple> months ago and tripped and somehow pulled it> funny and it hurt again. I mentioned this> problem to my chiropractor and he really got> in there with his thumbs on a couple different> visits and that seemed to fix the problem> again and I don't notice it.>> I started doing squats again this week and> noticed it hurts when I get the bar into> position and I am guessing it is partially a> flexibility issue. I can lift through even> adding weight. I am also trying shoulder> dislocations exercise I found on the> Stronglifts website> http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/>> I cannot do this exercise with a broomstick> like they demonstrate so my shoulders must be> tight. Exercise bands I can get through it.> Also, tried the Doorway Pec Stretches and the> Thoracic Extension on a foam roller.>> If anyone has any ideas, let me know since I> am not sure if this will improve as I increase> the weight unless these exercises help. I> guess I will see if it improves in the next 2> weeks and see what my chiro has to say if> still a problem.>> Andy>>

Ha, I'll just paste my head, arms and legs onto my 16yo sons shredded torso.

Brett

Post current pix????  OMG.............a unison barf if I did that.   i am such a slob.......this change of lifestyle is the pits body-wise for me.  Keeping up with the workout routines, but I hate, hate, totally dispise cardio.  Hence, I have not been doing much of it.  And it shows.   Well, I am in NY doing a milking job from last Friday till the 21st.  Then the SU and I are off to Bristol for the races.  I won't be back home till the 28th.  Have to be home by the 29th, as I have to work that day.  Yes, I am now a working stiff.  Got a job at the local sale barn filling out health papers for animals crossing the state line.   Don't work for the sale barn, I work for the vet clinic that is responsible for doing them.  A neighbor gal and I are job sharing, since neither one of us can commit to it on a full-time basis.  It's Monday and Wed. afternoons......the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month, and the 3rd Sat. of the month.  More sitting on my arse. LOL

Z

Re: shoulder issue >To: bodyforlife >>>> Brett,> Seriously. These over 40 year old shoulders! I> wish we could just trade them in for 20 year old> shoulders!> I relate to your statement " I need that exertion,> daily, to stay sane " . I am going absolutely nuts.> I've had 3 PRP injections (platelet rich> plasma...they spin out my own blood, and inject my> own plasma into the injury) in my partially torn> tendon in an effort to speed the healing process and> am in the " wait for 6 weeks (and take it easy) to> see if it helps " stage. I've been running and> biking and squatting and lunging and doing sit-ups> and one-armed pushups against the wall. (this is the> closest i can get to " taking it easy " ). Even> running up a (steep) hill hurts my shoulder right> now. The movement that you were doing on the bench,> over head, straight arms? Hurts just to think about> that...there's no way I could make that movement> right now.> Apparen! tly my case is borderline for whether or> not the PRP will help. And I'm thoroughly confused> about whether or not resting it and trying to let it> heal is a better option than surgery. What I> absolutely don't want is to rest for 6 months and> THEN have to have surgery. At this point I'm at 3> months of PT (and chiropractics and acupuncture) and> one month of totally resting the shoulder. The> total rest started with the injections. The surgeon> says that if in 6 weeks following the final> injection (5 weeks from now) there is no decrease in> pain, then he wants to repair it. Of course I don't> want to do that. But I can't be sure that it isn't> the right thing to do. Did I mention how confused I> am?!>> >>>> Andy,>> I have a slap tear in my left shoulder and> tendonitis in my right. They both have to be> " managed " but so far, so good.> Right shoulder trouble started 5 years ago through> an initial arm-overhead event which caused a bit> of irritation, then overuse (including bench, bar> dips, and oddly, sleeping on my side), and a long> nasty roller-coaster healing process with results> that would at times have me barely benching the> bar and at times benching almost 300, only to have> to back way off again.> About 9 months in, with both shoulders now a lot> weaker from lack of training heavy, I did the left> shoulder damage carrying 16' Trex deck planks,> turning and having them swing about, then trying> to stop the motion and causing the tear since the> muscles weren't as strong as I was used to. In 24> years of weight training (at that point) I had> never injured a joint, and when I hurt my right> shoulder I was very near my strength peak of a> couple years prior. Anyway, left shoulder healing> was similar to right shoulder healing. Slow and> inconsistent. Plus, super hard to do squats.> I saw a surgeon for both shoulders and we went> through the options. He didn't think there was> soft tissue damage in the right shoulder, just> angry tendons. On the left shoulder, if it healed> it was just a pinch, cuz a tear wouldn't heal. I> didn't like the downtime associated with surgery.> I chose therapy.> Lots of light movements were what the physical> terrorist prescribed. He said the shoulder joint> area gets little blood flow, so amp up the blood> flow. Also stretching to maintain range of> motion. And rotator cuff exercises to make those> muscles stronger to better stabilize the joint,> whether it was a slap tear or not.> He gave me some exercises and I worked them into> my regular daily workout. Progress was slow as> stated above. I got sick of the light movements> and never going heavy. Much of the benefit I get> from weight training is the intensity of going> heavy and giving it all I have on at least a few> reps per workout. Hitting the 10 as Bill > suggests. I need that exertion, daily, to stay> sane.> The PT said it's all about blood flow, so I said,> " ok, I'll give you some blood flow. " So, I> started going heavier, but also treating each set> like a heavy/light superset/rehab set, adding a> lighter weight opposite or complementary motion to> the main exercise. Basically, adding a set of> back or shoulders to every set of chest, or a set> of chest or shoulders to every set of back, and so> on. The additional set would usually be a set of> 15 reps or so.> Progress improved much faster, and now I'm nearly> back to where I was before the injury. Last April> I had a reminder that my left shoulder is not 100%> when I was loading some stuff in my jeep> (generator, EZ-up, etc) and handled them like a> roadie with good shoulders. I backed off for a> couple weeks and the pain went away pretty> quickly. And I've made strength progress since> then.> In addition to the supersets, the other thing that> really helps is occasionally laying on my back on> a bench and taking a 10lb (or even 5 lb) weight in> each hand and reaching/stretching over my head to> the floor, arms as straight as possible. My right> hand can easily touch the floor, but I have to> work it to get the left hand to the floor. The PT> had me do stretches similar to this during the few> sessions we had.> Get it checked out, so you know what you are> dealing with.> Brett (sorry so long, just thought I'd give you> the full story)>> >> ack! I've been dealing with a torn rotator cuff> for months...all the while thinking it was> tightness and maybe some inflammation. Pt,> acupuncture, chiropractics for 3 months now.> Finally saw a shoulder surgeon who did an> ultrasound (way less expensive than MRI) and he> found a tear in the super spinatus. (i don't> know how it's spelled!) Still deciding how to> handle from here. I highly suggest just> having it looked at. I feel like I wasted the> whole summer screwing around. At our age, the> chance that it's a cuff tear or a slap tear is> greater than you expect it to be, and you can> get them just from chronic over use... not> necessarily an acute injury.> This whole body being older than my mind thing> is really a bummer. :(> Hope it's something minor!> Terri> >>>> Last August I did something to my left> shoulder going down a water slide and it has> been a slight problem ever since. For about 6> months I could not sleep on my left side> without pain. Then it got better and no> problem.>> Then I was running on the trails a couple> months ago and tripped and somehow pulled it> funny and it hurt again. I mentioned this> problem to my chiropractor and he really got> in there with his thumbs on a couple different> visits and that seemed to fix the problem> again and I don't notice it.>> I started doing squats again this week and> noticed it hurts when I get the bar into> position and I am guessing it is partially a> flexibility issue. I can lift through even> adding weight. I am also trying shoulder> dislocations exercise I found on the> Stronglifts website> http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/>> I cannot do this exercise with a broomstick> like they demonstrate so my shoulders must be> tight. Exercise bands I can get through it.> Also, tried the Doorway Pec Stretches and the> Thoracic Extension on a foam roller.>> If anyone has any ideas, let me know since I> am not sure if this will improve as I increase> the weight unless these exercises help. I> guess I will see if it improves in the next 2> weeks and see what my chiro has to say if> still a problem.>> Andy>>

I think everyone is being a bit uber-critical of themselves!!! Come on now isn’t that sorta unsportsmanlike or something? J Dana From: bodyforlife [mailto:bodyforlife ] On Behalf Of Brett Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:22 PMTo: bodyforlife Subject: Re: shoulder issue Ha, I'll just paste my head, arms and legs onto my 16yo sons shredded torso.Brett Post current pix???? OMG.............a unison barf if I did that. i am such a slob.......this change of lifestyle is the pits body-wise for me. Keeping up with the workout routines, but I hate, hate, totally dispise cardio. Hence, I have not been doing much of it. And it shows. Well, I am in NY doing a milking job from last Friday till the 21st. Then the SU and I are off to Bristol for the races. I won't be back home till the 28th. Have to be home by the 29th, as I have to work that day. Yes, I am now a working stiff. Got a job at the local sale barn filling out health papers for animals crossing the state line. Don't work for the sale barn, I work for the vet clinic that is responsible for doing them. A neighbor gal and I are job sharing, since neither one of us can commit to it on a full-time basis. It's Monday and Wed. afternoons......the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month, and the 3rd Sat. of the month. More sitting on my arse. LOL Z Re: shoulder issue >To: bodyforlife >>>> Brett,> Seriously. These over 40 year old shoulders! I> wish we could just trade them in for 20 year old> shoulders!> I relate to your statement " I need that exertion,> daily, to stay sane " . I am going absolutely nuts.> I've had 3 PRP injections (platelet rich> plasma...they spin out my own blood, and inject my> own plasma into the injury) in my partially torn> tendon in an effort to speed the healing process and> am in the " wait for 6 weeks (and take it easy) to> see if it helps " stage. I've been running and> biking and squatting and lunging and doing sit-ups> and one-armed pushups against the wall. (this is the> closest i can get to " taking it easy " ). Even> running up a (steep) hill hurts my shoulder right> now. The movement that you were doing on the bench,> over head, straight arms? Hurts just to think about> that...there's no way I could make that movement> right now.> Apparen! tly my case is borderline for whether or> not the PRP will help. And I'm thoroughly confused> about whether or not resting it and trying to let it> heal is a better option than surgery. What I> absolutely don't want is to rest for 6 months and> THEN have to have surgery. At this point I'm at 3> months of PT (and chiropractics and acupuncture) and> one month of totally resting the shoulder. The> total rest started with the injections. The surgeon> says that if in 6 weeks following the final> injection (5 weeks from now) there is no decrease in> pain, then he wants to repair it. Of course I don't> want to do that. But I can't be sure that it isn't> the right thing to do. Did I mention how confused I> am?!>> >>>> Andy,>> I have a slap tear in my left shoulder and> tendonitis in my right. They both have to be> " managed " but so far, so good.> Right shoulder trouble started 5 years ago through> an initial arm-overhead event which caused a bit> of irritation, then overuse (including bench, bar> dips, and oddly, sleeping on my side), and a long> nasty roller-coaster healing process with results> that would at times have me barely benching the> bar and at times benching almost 300, only to have> to back way off again.> About 9 months in, with both shoulders now a lot> weaker from lack of training heavy, I did the left> shoulder damage carrying 16' Trex deck planks,> turning and having them swing about, then trying> to stop the motion and causing the tear since the> muscles weren't as strong as I was used to. In 24> years of weight training (at that point) I had> never injured a joint, and when I hurt my right> shoulder I was very near my strength peak of a> couple years prior. Anyway, left shoulder healing> was similar to right shoulder healing. Slow and> inconsistent. Plus, super hard to do squats.> I saw a surgeon for both shoulders and we went> through the options. He didn't think there was> soft tissue damage in the right shoulder, just> angry tendons. On the left shoulder, if it healed> it was just a pinch, cuz a tear wouldn't heal. I> didn't like the downtime associated with surgery.> I chose therapy.> Lots of light movements were what the physical> terrorist prescribed. He said the shoulder joint> area gets little blood flow, so amp up the blood> flow. Also stretching to maintain range of> motion. And rotator cuff exercises to make those> muscles stronger to better stabilize the joint,> whether it was a slap tear or not.> He gave me some exercises and I worked them into> my regular daily workout. Progress was slow as> stated above. I got sick of the light movements> and never going heavy. Much of the benefit I get> from weight training is the intensity of going> heavy and giving it all I have on at least a few> reps per workout. Hitting the 10 as Bill > suggests. I need that exertion, daily, to stay> sane.> The PT said it's all about blood flow, so I said,> " ok, I'll give you some blood flow. " So, I> started going heavier, but also treating each set> like a heavy/light superset/rehab set, adding a> lighter weight opposite or complementary motion to> the main exercise. Basically, adding a set of> back or shoulders to every set of chest, or a set> of chest or shoulders to every set of back, and so> on. The additional set would usually be a set of> 15 reps or so.> Progress improved much faster, and now I'm nearly> back to where I was before the injury. Last April> I had a reminder that my left shoulder is not 100%> when I was loading some stuff in my jeep> (generator, EZ-up, etc) and handled them like a> roadie with good shoulders. I backed off for a> couple weeks and the pain went away pretty> quickly. And I've made strength progress since> then.> In addition to the supersets, the other thing that> really helps is occasionally laying on my back on> a bench and taking a 10lb (or even 5 lb) weight in> each hand and reaching/stretching over my head to> the floor, arms as straight as possible. My right> hand can easily touch the floor, but I have to> work it to get the left hand to the floor. The PT> had me do stretches similar to this during the few> sessions we had.> Get it checked out, so you know what you are> dealing with.> Brett (sorry so long, just thought I'd give you> the full story)>> >> ack! I've been dealing with a torn rotator cuff> for months...all the while thinking it was> tightness and maybe some inflammation. Pt,> acupuncture, chiropractics for 3 months now.> Finally saw a shoulder surgeon who did an> ultrasound (way less expensive than MRI) and he> found a tear in the super spinatus. (i don't> know how it's spelled!) Still deciding how to> handle from here. I highly suggest just> having it looked at. I feel like I wasted the> whole summer screwing around. At our age, the> chance that it's a cuff tear or a slap tear is> greater than you expect it to be, and you can> get them just from chronic over use... not> necessarily an acute injury.> This whole body being older than my mind thing> is really a bummer. :(> Hope it's something minor!> Terri> >>>> Last August I did something to my left> shoulder going down a water slide and it has> been a slight problem ever since. For about 6> months I could not sleep on my left side> without pain. Then it got better and no> problem.>> Then I was running on the trails a couple> months ago and tripped and somehow pulled it> funny and it hurt again. I mentioned this> problem to my chiropractor and he really got> in there with his thumbs on a couple different> visits and that seemed to fix the problem> again and I don't notice it.>> I started doing squats again this week and> noticed it hurts when I get the bar into> position and I am guessing it is partially a> flexibility issue. I can lift through even> adding weight. I am also trying shoulder> dislocations exercise I found on the> Stronglifts website> http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/>> I cannot do this exercise with a broomstick> like they demonstrate so my shoulders must be> tight. Exercise bands I can get through it.> Also, tried the Doorway Pec Stretches and the> Thoracic Extension on a foam roller.>> If anyone has any ideas, let me know since I> am not sure if this will improve as I increase> the weight unless these exercises help. I> guess I will see if it improves in the next 2> weeks and see what my chiro has to say if> still a problem.>> Andy>>

is anyone on facebook? We could be friends. Lotsa pics there usually. :)

I think everyone is being a bit uber-critical of themselves!!! Come on now isn’t that sorta unsportsmanlike or something? J Dana From: bodyforlife [mailto:bodyforlife ] On Behalf Of Brett Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:22 PMTo: bodyforlife Subject: Re: shoulder issue Ha, I'll just paste my head, arms and legs onto my 16yo sons shredded torso.Brett Post current pix???? OMG.............a unison barf if I did that. i am such a slob.......this change of lifestyle is the pits body-wise for me. Keeping up with the workout routines, but I hate, hate, totally dispise cardio. Hence, I have not been doing much of it. And it shows. Well, I am in NY doing a milking job from last Friday till the 21st. Then the SU and I are off to Bristol for the races. I won't be back home till the 28th. Have to be home by the 29th, as I have to work that day. Yes, I am now a working stiff. Got a job at the local sale barn filling out health papers for animals crossing the state line. Don't work for the sale barn, I work for the vet clinic that is responsible for doing them. A neighbor gal and I are job sharing, since neither one of us can commit to it on a full-time basis. It's Monday and Wed. afternoons......the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month, and the 3rd Sat. of the month. More sitting on my arse. LOL Z Re: shoulder issue >To: bodyforlife >>>> Brett,> Seriously. These over 40 year old shoulders! I> wish we could just trade them in for 20 year old> shoulders!> I relate to your statement "I need that exertion,> daily, to stay sane". I am going absolutely nuts.> I've had 3 PRP injections (platelet rich> plasma...they spin out my own blood, and inject my> own plasma into the injury) in my partially torn> tendon in an effort to speed the healing process and> am in the "wait for 6 weeks (and take it easy) to> see if it helps" stage. I've been running and> biking and squatting and lunging and doing sit-ups> and one-armed pushups against the wall. (this is the> closest i can get to "taking it easy"). Even> running up a (steep) hill hurts my shoulder right> now. The movement that you were doing on the bench,> over head, straight arms? Hurts just to think about> that...there's no way I could make that movement> right now.> Apparen! tly my case is borderline for whether or> not the PRP will help. And I'm thoroughly confused> about whether or not resting it and trying to let it> heal is a better option than surgery. What I> absolutely don't want is to rest for 6 months and> THEN have to have surgery. At this point I'm at 3> months of PT (and chiropractics and acupuncture) and> one month of totally resting the shoulder. The> total rest started with the injections. The surgeon> says that if in 6 weeks following the final> injection (5 weeks from now) there is no decrease in> pain, then he wants to repair it. Of course I don't> want to do that. But I can't be sure that it isn't> the right thing to do. Did I mention how confused I> am?!>> >>>> Andy,>> I have a slap tear in my left shoulder and> tendonitis in my right. They both have to be> "managed" but so far, so good.> Right shoulder trouble started 5 years ago through> an initial arm-overhead event which caused a bit> of irritation, then overuse (including bench, bar> dips, and oddly, sleeping on my side), and a long> nasty roller-coaster healing process with results> that would at times have me barely benching the> bar and at times benching almost 300, only to have> to back way off again.> About 9 months in, with both shoulders now a lot> weaker from lack of training heavy, I did the left> shoulder damage carrying 16' Trex deck planks,> turning and having them swing about, then trying> to stop the motion and causing the tear since the> muscles weren't as strong as I was used to. In 24> years of weight training (at that point) I had> never injured a joint, and when I hurt my right> shoulder I was very near my strength peak of a> couple years prior. Anyway, left shoulder healing> was similar to right shoulder healing. Slow and> inconsistent. Plus, super hard to do squats.> I saw a surgeon for both shoulders and we went> through the options. He didn't think there was> soft tissue damage in the right shoulder, just> angry tendons. On the left shoulder, if it healed> it was just a pinch, cuz a tear wouldn't heal. I> didn't like the downtime associated with surgery.> I chose therapy.> Lots of light movements were what the physical> terrorist prescribed. He said the shoulder joint> area gets little blood flow, so amp up the blood> flow. Also stretching to maintain range of> motion. And rotator cuff exercises to make those> muscles stronger to better stabilize the joint,> whether it was a slap tear or not.> He gave me some exercises and I worked them into> my regular daily workout. Progress was slow as> stated above. I got sick of the light movements> and never going heavy. Much of the benefit I get> from weight training is the intensity of going> heavy and giving it all I have on at least a few> reps per workout. Hitting the 10 as Bill > suggests. I need that exertion, daily, to stay> sane.> The PT said it's all about blood flow, so I said,> "ok, I'll give you some blood flow." So, I> started going heavier, but also treating each set> like a heavy/light superset/rehab set, adding a> lighter weight opposite or complementary motion to> the main exercise. Basically, adding a set of> back or shoulders to every set of chest, or a set> of chest or shoulders to every set of back, and so> on. The additional set would usually be a set of> 15 reps or so.> Progress improved much faster, and now I'm nearly> back to where I was before the injury. Last April> I had a reminder that my left shoulder is not 100%> when I was loading some stuff in my jeep> (generator, EZ-up, etc) and handled them like a> roadie with good shoulders. I backed off for a> couple weeks and the pain went away pretty> quickly. And I've made strength progress since> then.> In addition to the supersets, the other thing that> really helps is occasionally laying on my back on> a bench and taking a 10lb (or even 5 lb) weight in> each hand and reaching/stretching over my head to> the floor, arms as straight as possible. My right> hand can easily touch the floor, but I have to> work it to get the left hand to the floor. The PT> had me do stretches similar to this during the few> sessions we had.> Get it checked out, so you know what you are> dealing with.> Brett (sorry so long, just thought I'd give you> the full story)>> >> ack! I've been dealing with a torn rotator cuff> for months...all the while thinking it was> tightness and maybe some inflammation. Pt,> acupuncture, chiropractics for 3 months now.> Finally saw a shoulder surgeon who did an> ultrasound (way less expensive than MRI) and he> found a tear in the super spinatus. (i don't> know how it's spelled!) Still deciding how to> handle from here. I highly suggest just> having it looked at. I feel like I wasted the> whole summer screwing around. At our age, the> chance that it's a cuff tear or a slap tear is> greater than you expect it to be, and you can> get them just from chronic over use... not> necessarily an acute injury.> This whole body being older than my mind thing> is really a bummer. :(> Hope it's something minor!> Terri> >>>> Last August I did something to my left> shoulder going down a water slide and it has> been a slight problem ever since. For about 6> months I could not sleep on my left side> without pain. Then it got better and no> problem.>> Then I was running on the trails a couple> months ago and tripped and somehow pulled it> funny and it hurt again. I mentioned this> problem to my chiropractor and he really got> in there with his thumbs on a couple different> visits and that seemed to fix the problem> again and I don't notice it.>> I started doing squats again this week and> noticed it hurts when I get the bar into> position and I am guessing it is partially a> flexibility issue. I can lift through even> adding weight. I am also trying shoulder> dislocations exercise I found on the> Stronglifts website> http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/>> I cannot do this exercise with a broomstick> like they demonstrate so my shoulders must be> tight. Exercise bands I can get through it.> Also, tried the Doorway Pec Stretches and the> Thoracic Extension on a foam roller.>> If anyone has any ideas, let me know since I> am not sure if this will improve as I increase> the weight unless these exercises help. I> guess I will see if it improves in the next 2> weeks and see what my chiro has to say if> still a problem.>> Andy>>

I’m on Facebook. I think I’m already friends with Andy, and . You can find me under Dana Plagens if ya wanna. J Good idea too btw. From: bodyforlife [mailto:bodyforlife ] On Behalf Of Therese LunaSent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:27 PMTo: bodyforlife Subject: Re: shoulder issue is anyone on facebook? We could be friends. Lotsa pics there usually. :) I think everyone is being a bit uber-critical of themselves!!! Come on now isn’t that sorta unsportsmanlike or something? J Dana From: bodyforlife [mailto:bodyforlife ] On Behalf Of Brett Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:22 PMTo: bodyforlife Subject: Re: shoulder issue Ha, I'll just paste my head, arms and legs onto my 16yo sons shredded torso.Brett Post current pix???? OMG.............a unison barf if I did that. i am such a slob.......this change of lifestyle is the pits body-wise for me. Keeping up with the workout routines, but I hate, hate, totally dispise cardio. Hence, I have not been doing much of it. And it shows. Well, I am in NY doing a milking job from last Friday till the 21st. Then the SU and I are off to Bristol for the races. I won't be back home till the 28th. Have to be home by the 29th, as I have to work that day. Yes, I am now a working stiff. Got a job at the local sale barn filling out health papers for animals crossing the state line. Don't work for the sale barn, I work for the vet clinic that is responsible for doing them. A neighbor gal and I are job sharing, since neither one of us can commit to it on a full-time basis. It's Monday and Wed. afternoons......the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month, and the 3rd Sat. of the month. More sitting on my arse. LOL Z Re: shoulder issue >To: bodyforlife >>>> Brett,> Seriously. These over 40 year old shoulders! I> wish we could just trade them in for 20 year old> shoulders!> I relate to your statement " I need that exertion,> daily, to stay sane " . I am going absolutely nuts.> I've had 3 PRP injections (platelet rich> plasma...they spin out my own blood, and inject my> own plasma into the injury) in my partially torn> tendon in an effort to speed the healing process and> am in the " wait for 6 weeks (and take it easy) to> see if it helps " stage. I've been running and> biking and squatting and lunging and doing sit-ups> and one-armed pushups against the wall. (this is the> closest i can get to " taking it easy " ). Even> running up a (steep) hill hurts my shoulder right> now. The movement that you were doing on the bench,> over head, straight arms? Hurts just to think about> that...there's no way I could make that movement> right now.> Apparen! tly my case is borderline for whether or> not the PRP will help. And I'm thoroughly confused> about whether or not resting it and trying to let it> heal is a better option than surgery. What I> absolutely don't want is to rest for 6 months and> THEN have to have surgery. At this point I'm at 3> months of PT (and chiropractics and acupuncture) and> one month of totally resting the shoulder. The> total rest started with the injections. The surgeon> says that if in 6 weeks following the final> injection (5 weeks from now) there is no decrease in> pain, then he wants to repair it. Of course I don't> want to do that. But I can't be sure that it isn't> the right thing to do. Did I mention how confused I> am?!>> >>>> Andy,>> I have a slap tear in my left shoulder and> tendonitis in my right. They both have to be> " managed " but so far, so good.> Right shoulder trouble started 5 years ago through> an initial arm-overhead event which caused a bit> of irritation, then overuse (including bench, bar> dips, and oddly, sleeping on my side), and a long> nasty roller-coaster healing process with results> that would at times have me barely benching the> bar and at times benching almost 300, only to have> to back way off again.> About 9 months in, with both shoulders now a lot> weaker from lack of training heavy, I did the left> shoulder damage carrying 16' Trex deck planks,> turning and having them swing about, then trying> to stop the motion and causing the tear since the> muscles weren't as strong as I was used to. In 24> years of weight training (at that point) I had> never injured a joint, and when I hurt my right> shoulder I was very near my strength peak of a> couple years prior. Anyway, left shoulder healing> was similar to right shoulder healing. Slow and> inconsistent. Plus, super hard to do squats.> I saw a surgeon for both shoulders and we went> through the options. He didn't think there was> soft tissue damage in the right shoulder, just> angry tendons. On the left shoulder, if it healed> it was just a pinch, cuz a tear wouldn't heal. I> didn't like the downtime associated with surgery.> I chose therapy.> Lots of light movements were what the physical> terrorist prescribed. He said the shoulder joint> area gets little blood flow, so amp up the blood> flow. Also stretching to maintain range of> motion. And rotator cuff exercises to make those> muscles stronger to better stabilize the joint,> whether it was a slap tear or not.> He gave me some exercises and I worked them into> my regular daily workout. Progress was slow as> stated above. I got sick of the light movements> and never going heavy. Much of the benefit I get> from weight training is the intensity of going> heavy and giving it all I have on at least a few> reps per workout. Hitting the 10 as Bill > suggests. I need that exertion, daily, to stay> sane.> The PT said it's all about blood flow, so I said,> " ok, I'll give you some blood flow. " So, I> started going heavier, but also treating each set> like a heavy/light superset/rehab set, adding a> lighter weight opposite or complementary motion to> the main exercise. Basically, adding a set of> back or shoulders to every set of chest, or a set> of chest or shoulders to every set of back, and so> on. The additional set would usually be a set of> 15 reps or so.> Progress improved much faster, and now I'm nearly> back to where I was before the injury. Last April> I had a reminder that my left shoulder is not 100%> when I was loading some stuff in my jeep> (generator, EZ-up, etc) and handled them like a> roadie with good shoulders. I backed off for a> couple weeks and the pain went away pretty> quickly. And I've made strength progress since> then.> In addition to the supersets, the other thing that> really helps is occasionally laying on my back on> a bench and taking a 10lb (or even 5 lb) weight in> each hand and reaching/stretching over my head to> the floor, arms as straight as possible. My right> hand can easily touch the floor, but I have to> work it to get the left hand to the floor. The PT> had me do stretches similar to this during the few> sessions we had.> Get it checked out, so you know what you are> dealing with.> Brett (sorry so long, just thought I'd give you> the full story)>> >> ack! I've been dealing with a torn rotator cuff> for months...all the while thinking it was> tightness and maybe some inflammation. Pt,> acupuncture, chiropractics for 3 months now.> Finally saw a shoulder surgeon who did an> ultrasound (way less expensive than MRI) and he> found a tear in the super spinatus. (i don't> know how it's spelled!) Still deciding how to> handle from here. I highly suggest just> having it looked at. I feel like I wasted the> whole summer screwing around. At our age, the> chance that it's a cuff tear or a slap tear is> greater than you expect it to be, and you can> get them just from chronic over use... not> necessarily an acute injury.> This whole body being older than my mind thing> is really a bummer. :(> Hope it's something minor!> Terri> >>>> Last August I did something to my left> shoulder going down a water slide and it has> been a slight problem ever since. For about 6> months I could not sleep on my left side> without pain. Then it got better and no> problem.>> Then I was running on the trails a couple> months ago and tripped and somehow pulled it> funny and it hurt again. I mentioned this> problem to my chiropractor and he really got> in there with his thumbs on a couple different> visits and that seemed to fix the problem> again and I don't notice it.>> I started doing squats again this week and> noticed it hurts when I get the bar into> position and I am guessing it is partially a> flexibility issue. I can lift through even> adding weight. I am also trying shoulder> dislocations exercise I found on the> Stronglifts website> http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/>> I cannot do this exercise with a broomstick> like they demonstrate so my shoulders must be> tight. Exercise bands I can get through it.> Also, tried the Doorway Pec Stretches and the> Thoracic Extension on a foam roller.>> If anyone has any ideas, let me know since I> am not sure if this will improve as I increase> the weight unless these exercises help. I> guess I will see if it improves in the next 2> weeks and see what my chiro has to say if> still a problem.>> Andy>>

I go there so seldom that I can't really say I'm a "member". I hate FB. LOL If everyone migrates there I will be left behind. :>)

Z.

Re: shoulder issue >To: bodyforlife >>>> Brett,> Seriously. These over 40 year old shoulders! I> wish we could just trade them in for 20 year old> shoulders!> I relate to your statement "I need that exertion,> daily, to stay sane". I am going absolutely nuts.> I've had 3 PRP injections (platelet rich> plasma...they spin out my own blood, and inject my> own plasma into the injury) in my partially torn> tendon in an effort to speed the healing process and> am in the "wait for 6 weeks (and take it easy) to> see if it helps" stage. I've been running and> biking and squatting and lunging and doing sit-ups> and one-armed pushups against the wall. (this is the> closest i can get to "taking it easy"). Even> running up a (steep) hill hurts my shoulder right> now. The movement that you were doing on the bench,> over head, straight arms? Hurts just to think about> that...there's no way I could make that movement> right now.> Apparen! tly my case is borderline for whether or> not the PRP will help. And I'm thoroughly confused> about whether or not resting it and trying to let it> heal is a better option than surgery. What I> absolutely don't want is to rest for 6 months and> THEN have to have surgery. At this point I'm at 3> months of PT (and chiropractics and acupuncture) and> one month of totally resting the shoulder. The> total rest started with the injections. The surgeon> says that if in 6 weeks following the final> injection (5 weeks from now) there is no decrease in> pain, then he wants to repair it. Of course I don't> want to do that. But I can't be sure that it isn't> the right thing to do. Did I mention how confused I> am?!>> >>>> Andy,>> I have a slap tear in my left shoulder and> tendonitis in my right. They both have to be> "managed" but so far, so good.> Right shoulder trouble started 5 years ago through> an initial arm-overhead event which caused a bit> of irritation, then overuse (including bench, bar> dips, and oddly, sleeping on my side), and a long> nasty roller-coaster healing process with results> that would at times have me barely benching the> bar and at times benching almost 300, only to have> to back way off again.> About 9 months in, with both shoulders now a lot> weaker from lack of training heavy, I did the left> shoulder damage carrying 16' Trex deck planks,> turning and having them swing about, then trying> to stop the motion and causing the tear since the> muscles weren't as strong as I was used to. In 24> years of weight training (at that point) I had> never injured a joint, and when I hurt my right> shoulder I was very near my strength peak of a> couple years prior. Anyway, left shoulder healing> was similar to right shoulder healing. Slow and> inconsistent. Plus, super hard to do squats.> I saw a surgeon for both shoulders and we went> through the options. He didn't think there was> soft tissue damage in the right shoulder, just> angry tendons. On the left shoulder, if it healed> it was just a pinch, cuz a tear wouldn't heal. I> didn't like the downtime associated with surgery.> I chose therapy.> Lots of light movements were what the physical> terrorist prescribed. He said the shoulder joint> area gets little blood flow, so amp up the blood> flow. Also stretching to maintain range of> motion. And rotator cuff exercises to make those> muscles stronger to better stabilize the joint,> whether it was a slap tear or not.> He gave me some exercises and I worked them into> my regular daily workout. Progress was slow as> stated above. I got sick of the light movements> and never going heavy. Much of the benefit I get> from weight training is the intensity of going> heavy and giving it all I have on at least a few> reps per workout. Hitting the 10 as Bill > suggests. I need that exertion, daily, to stay> sane.> The PT said it's all about blood flow, so I said,> "ok, I'll give you some blood flow." So, I> started going heavier, but also treating each set> like a heavy/light superset/rehab set, adding a> lighter weight opposite or complementary motion to> the main exercise. Basically, adding a set of> back or shoulders to every set of chest, or a set> of chest or shoulders to every set of back, and so> on. The additional set would usually be a set of> 15 reps or so.> Progress improved much faster, and now I'm nearly> back to where I was before the injury. Last April> I had a reminder that my left shoulder is not 100%> when I was loading some stuff in my jeep> (generator, EZ-up, etc) and handled them like a> roadie with good shoulders. I backed off for a> couple weeks and the pain went away pretty> quickly. And I've made strength progress since> then.> In addition to the supersets, the other thing that> really helps is occasionally laying on my back on> a bench and taking a 10lb (or even 5 lb) weight in> each hand and reaching/stretching over my head to> the floor, arms as straight as possible. My right> hand can easily touch the floor, but I have to> work it to get the left hand to the floor. The PT> had me do stretches similar to this during the few> sessions we had.> Get it checked out, so you know what you are> dealing with.> Brett (sorry so long, just thought I'd give you> the full story)>> >> ack! I've been dealing with a torn rotator cuff> for months...all the while thinking it was> tightness and maybe some inflammation. Pt,> acupuncture, chiropractics for 3 months now.> Finally saw a shoulder surgeon who did an> ultrasound (way less expensive than MRI) and he> found a tear in the super spinatus. (i don't> know how it's spelled!) Still deciding how to> handle from here. I highly suggest just> having it looked at. I feel like I wasted the> whole summer screwing around. At our age, the> chance that it's a cuff tear or a slap tear is> greater than you expect it to be, and you can> get them just from chronic over use... not> necessarily an acute injury.> This whole body being older than my mind thing> is really a bummer. :(> Hope it's something minor!> Terri> >>>> Last August I did something to my left> shoulder going down a water slide and it has> been a slight problem ever since. For about 6> months I could not sleep on my left side> without pain. Then it got better and no> problem.>> Then I was running on the trails a couple> months ago and tripped and somehow pulled it> funny and it hurt again. I mentioned this> problem to my chiropractor and he really got> in there with his thumbs on a couple different> visits and that seemed to fix the problem> again and I don't notice it.>> I started doing squats again this week and> noticed it hurts when I get the bar into> position and I am guessing it is partially a> flexibility issue. I can lift through even> adding weight. I am also trying shoulder> dislocations exercise I found on the> Stronglifts website> http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/>> I cannot do this exercise with a broomstick> like they demonstrate so my shoulders must be> tight. Exercise bands I can get through it.> Also, tried the Doorway Pec Stretches and the> Thoracic Extension on a foam roller.>> If anyone has any ideas, let me know since I> am not sure if this will improve as I increase> the weight unless these exercises help. I> guess I will see if it improves in the next 2> weeks and see what my chiro has to say if> still a problem.>> Andy>>

Well Hello Hello!Nice to see some 'old' friends from the past BFL days.I think once I jumped off into the world of running, I basically left BFL and barely looked back.After 8 years of having an almost exclusive focus on running, and consequently developing a (un)healthy runner's middle, I recently decided to shift my routines and diet around.  Alot.

I began the Primal Blueprint diet 10 days ago.  It basically focuses on getting in healthy protein and veggies, some fruit, nuts and seeds.  Dairy is ok in moderation.  All grains, processed sugar and processed foods are cut out.  The goal is to reverse the symptoms of metabolic syndrome (HBP[don't have this one], high cholesterol, high blood glucose, high body fat).  We are supposedly eating closer to how we ate 10,000+ years ago in our most growthful phases. (There are other tenets to the program that involve movement, sunshine, play, etc.)

I posted a little bit ago (2 months maybe?) that was bringing weight training back into the fold.  I have been only getting it done once a week.  But even that little bit has already resulted in some improved muscle tone and increased strength.

I am also a member of the over 40+ shoulder injury club.  Somewhere, somehow I partially tore my right rotator cuff.  It was diagnosed by my chiropractor/acupuncturist with the arm stretched out in front of my body, angled to the left and thumb down.  I am still able to work through it but it requires conscious effort or the right elbow tends to hang down.

Before pictures?   <SCREAM!!!!>  Do we really need to do that?  :PGlad to see some energy here.  I plan to stick this out for 6 months and see how my body is responding.  It is not BFL.  But I know most of us have long moved past that program and ventured into other interesting and growthful programs.

~Kelley

Current pictures??? OMG! How about I commit to taking them now and sharing them later. ...lol ...Much, much later!

I did mention falling back into the comfort foods pit of life. Didn't I? My current " physique " is something that would not be appropriate for pin-up distribution. In fact, I think I've learned to dislike mirrors. lol

I suppose it's not as bad as my before, back in circa 2004, but, not nearly as svelt as I was for my daugthers' and son's weddings, that's for sure.

But, I would be very happy to see everyone else.

>Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:58:31 -0400

>From: bodyforlife (on behalf of " Dana Plagens - RR " )

>Subject: RE: shoulder issue

>To: <bodyforlife >

>

>

>

> Hello All~ It is nice to hear some noise on this

> board again. I know it got chatty a couple of

> months or so ago and then it went quiet again.

> , the struggle is not one that I think is ever

> conquered, just managed. I do the same thing - fall

> back on the comfort of food at times. I haven't

> achieved the physical goals that I had hoped for but

> am not ready to give up. I will be celebrating my

> 50^th birthday in 3 weeks and had hoped to be in

> great shape but I didn't get focused enough to make

> it happen. That being said, I am refocusing now and

> mapping a plan for what I'll do to get to the

> destination I want. I don't have much weight to

> lose but I've got some definition to get to. Dining

> out is something that me and my S/O like to do on

> the weekends. That can get dangero! us when you're

> talking dessert, a glass or 2 of wine plus apps and

> main courses. I don't have the shoulder inquiries

> that some of you have but I do have a lower back

> issue that will rear its head from time to time so I

> feel pretty lucky in that respect. All else

> physically is good shape and able to work. I've

> been working at the gym 5 days a week for the most

> part and with a trainer for 3 of those days - I'm

> thinking it's time for a change in trainers. In

> the last year my job of 23 years came to an end

> (company closed), my daughter had a baby and I moved

> to Florida. I may have posted this already, but

> this is what I've been dealing with in my struggle

> to find normalcy, structure and routine. J

>

>

>

> Well that's where I am and I'm glad to see you all

> still here.

>

>

>

> Progress NOT Perfection IS STILL RIGHT - thanks

> .

>

>

>

> Maybe time for us all to post current pics of

> ourselves. What do you think?

>

>

>

> Dana

>

>

>

> From: bodyforlife

> [mailto:bodyforlife ] On Behalf Of

> gholowko@...

> Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:37 PM

> To: bodyforlife

> Subject: Re: shoulder issue

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi all,

>

> Chiming in from the " over " , over 40 crowd, I just

> need to say...

>

> First off, howdy! Long time, no post (again).

>

> Secondly... I had a horrific realization that, no

> matter how much I tried, I would not have washboard

> abs or biceps and a chest of steel. ...At least not

> if I didn't work for it decades ago.

>

> But, I do know that I can still get to a much

> healthier state than I am, right now. Somehow, we

> ne! ed to understand our human limits and fly below

> that radar. For me, I know it will be something

> (well) under where I was just 5 short years ago.

>

> In my case, it was mostly, because, after I moved my

> residence I experienced all kinds of crazy injuries

> (hip, shoulder, back, forearm, knee, ankles, & more)

> that this aging body, though, at that time, likely

> in the best shape of my life, seemed to recover from

> very, very slowly.

>

> There were, and still are, many external stress

> factors that I have yet balanced on my plate, too,

> so that has certainly been another factor for the

> back-slide.

>

> I did get quite discouraged for quite some time,

> but, once I realized I won't be squatting 600 pounds

> ever again, I have, slowly, (and I mean VERY slowly)

> looked into resetting goals and lifestyle.

>

> The third thing, that bit me in the arse, is the

> slide back to depend on comfort foods. That is

> something that I hope none of you ever do, as, that

> just piles on the pen! alty for falling off the

> exercise wagon.

>

> I still want to be a BFL champion for my family,

> but, I guess I also need to, yet, settle into

> grand-pop-hood, too.

>

> BTW, only down about 14 pounds in the last ~90 days,

> but, it is a slow start in the right direction.

> Plus, my youngest son, is also down about 8 pounds,

> which means, it is also working for my family.

>

> I'm feeling like I need to push a bit harder, but,

> want to take these old bones slowly back onto that

> health and fitness path of years gone by.

>

> Great to hear from you all. I'll be looking to hear

> your progress! As always, that's what BFL is all

> about...

>

> Progress, NOT perfection!

>

>

> ---- Original message ----

> >Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:56:41 -0500

> >From: bodyforlife (on behalf of

> Therese Luna )

> >Subject: Re: shou! lder issue

> >To: bodyforlife

> >

> >

> >

> > Brett,

> > Seriously. These over 40 year old shoulders! I

> > wish we could just trade them in for 20 year old

> > shoulders!

> > I relate to your statement " I need that exertion,

> > daily, to stay sane " . I am going absolutely nuts.

> > I've had 3 PRP injections (platelet rich

> > plasma...they spin out my own blood, and inject my

> > own plasma into the injury) in my partially torn

> > tendon in an effort to speed the healing process

> and

> > am in the " wait for 6 weeks (and take it easy) to

> > see if it helps " stage. I've been running and

> > biking and squatting and lunging and doing sit-ups

> > and one-armed pushups against the wall. (this is

> the

> > closest i can get to " taking it easy " ). Even

> > running up a (steep) hill hurts my shoulder

> right<br! >> now. The movement that you were doing

> on the bench,

> > over head, straight arms? Hurts just to think

> about

> > that...there's no way I could make that movement

> > right now.

> > Apparen! tly my case is borderline for whether or

> > not the PRP will help. And I'm thoroughly confused

> > about whether or not resting it and trying to let

> it

> > heal is a better option than surgery. What I

> > absolutely don't want is to rest for 6 months and

> > THEN have to have surgery. At this point I'm at 3

> > months of PT (and chiropractics and acupuncture)

> and

> > one month of totally resting the shoulder. The

> > total rest started with the injections. The

> surgeon

> > says that if in 6 weeks following the final

> > injection (5 weeks from now) there is no decrease

> in

> > pain, then he wants to repair it. Of course I

> don't

> > want to do that. But I can't be sure that it isn't

> > the right thing to do. Did I men! tion how

> confused I

> > am?!

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Andy,

> >

> > I have a slap tear in my left shoulder and

> > tendonitis in my right. They both have to be

> > " managed " but so far, so good.

> > Right shoulder trouble started 5 years ago through

> > an initial arm-overhead event which caused a bit

> > of irritation, then overuse (including bench, bar

> > dips, and oddly, sleeping on my side), and a long

> > nasty roller-coaster healing process with results

> > that would at times have me barely benching the

> > bar and at times benching almost 300, only to have

> > to back way off again.

> > About 9 months in, with both shoulders now a lot

> > weaker from lack of training heavy, I did the left

> > shoulder damage carrying 16' Trex deck planks,

> > turning and having them swing about, then trying

> > to stop the motion an! d causing the tear since

> the

> > muscles weren't as strong as I was used to. In 24

> > years of weight training (at that point) I had

> > never injured a joint, and when I hurt my right

> > shoulder I was very near my strength peak of a

> > couple years prior. Anyway, left shoulder healing

> > was similar to right shoulder healing. Slow and

> > inconsistent. Plus, super hard to do squats.

> > I saw a surgeon for both shoulders and we went

> > through the options. He didn't think there was

> > soft tissue damage in the right shoulder, just

> > angry tendons. On the left shoulder, if it healed

> > it was just a pinch, cuz a tear wouldn't heal. I

> > didn't like the downtime associated with surgery.

> > I chose therapy.

> > Lots of light movements were what the physical

> > terrorist prescribed. He said the shoulder joint

> > area gets little blood flow, so amp up the blood

> > flow. Also stretching to main! tain range of

> > motion. And rotator cuff exercises to make those

> > muscles stronger to better stabilize the joint,

> > whether it was a slap tear or not.

> > He gave me some exercises and I worked them into

> > my regular daily workout. Progress was slow as

> > stated above. I got sick of the light movements

> > and never going heavy. Much of the benefit I get

> > from weight training is the intensity of going

> > heavy and giving it all I have on at least a few

> > reps per workout. Hitting the 10 as Bill

> > suggests. I need that exertion, daily, to stay

> > sane.

> > The PT said it's all about blood flow, so I said,

> > " ok, I'll give you some blood flow. " So, I

> > started going heavier, but also treating each set

> > like a heavy/light superset/rehab set, adding a

> > lighter weight opposite or complementary motion to

> > the main exercise. Basically, adding a set of

> > b! ack or shoulders to every set of chest, or a

> set

> > of chest or shoulders to every set of back, and so

> > on. The additional set would usually be a set of

> > 15 reps or so.

> > Progress improved much faster, and now I'm nearly

> > back to where I was before the injury. Last April

> > I had a reminder that my left shoulder is not 100%

> > when I was loading some stuff in my jeep

> > (generator, EZ-up, etc) and handled them like a

> > roadie with good shoulders. I backed off for a

> > couple weeks and the pain went away pretty

> > quickly. And I've made strength progress since

> > then.

> > In addition to the supersets, the other thing that

> > really helps is occasionally laying on my back on

> > a bench and taking a 10lb (or even 5 lb) weight in

> > each hand and reaching/stretching over my head to

> > the floor, arms as straight as possible. My right

> > hand can easily touch the floor, but I have to!

> > work it to get the left hand to the floor. The PT

> > had me do stretches similar to this during the few

> > sessions we had.

> > Get it checked out, so you know what you are

> > dealing with.

> > Brett (sorry so long, just thought I'd give you

> > the full story)

> >

> > On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Therese Luna

> > wrote:

> >

> > ack! I've been dealing with a torn rotator cuff

> > for months...all the while thinking it was

> > tightness and maybe some inflammation. Pt,

> > acupuncture, chiropractics for 3 months now.

> > Finally saw a shoulder surgeon who did an

> > ultrasound (way less expensive than MRI) and he

> > found a tear in the super spinatus. (i don't

> > know how it's spelled!) Still deciding how to

> > handle from here. I highly suggest just

> > having it looked at. I feel like I wasted the

> > whole! summer screwing around. At our age, the

> > chance that it's a cuff tear or a slap tear is

> > greater than you expect it to be, and you can

> > get them just from chronic over use... not

> > necessarily an acute injury.

> > This whole body being older than my mind thing

> > is really a bummer. :(

> > Hope it's something minor!

> > Terri

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Last August I did something to my left

> > shoulder going down a water slide and it has

> > been a slight problem ever since. For about 6

> > months I could not sleep on my left side

> > without pain. Then it got better and no

> > problem.

> >

> > Then I was running on the trails a couple

> > months ago and tripped and somehow pulled it

> > funny and it hurt again. I mentioned this

> > problem to my chiropractor and he really got

> > in there with his thumbs on a couple different<b!

> r>> visits and that seemed to fix the problem

> > again and I don't notice it.

> >

> > I started doing squats again this week and

> > noticed it hurts when I get the bar into

> > position and I am guessing it is partially a

> > flexibility issue. I can lift through even

> > adding weight. I am also trying shoulder

> > dislocations exercise I found on the

> > Stronglifts website

> > http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/

> >

> > I cannot do this exercise with a broomstick

> > like they demonstrate so my shoulders must be

> > tight. Exercise bands I can get through it.

> > Also, tried the Doorway Pec Stretches and the

> > Thoracic Extension on a foam roller.

> >

> > If anyone has any ideas, let me know since I

> > am not sure if this will improve as I increase

> > the weight unless these exercises help. I

> > guess I will s! ee if it improves in the next 2

> > weeks and see what my chiro has to say if

> > still a problem.

> >

> > Andy

> >

> >

>

>

My Facebook account is Kroto

Well Hello Hello!Nice to see some 'old' friends from the past BFL days.I think once I jumped off into the world of running, I basically left BFL and barely looked back.book

After 8 years of having an almost exclusive focus on running, and consequently developing a (un)healthy runner's middle, I recently decided to shift my routines and diet around.  Alot.

I began the Primal Blueprint diet 10 days ago.  It basically focuses on getting in healthy protein and veggies, some fruit, nuts and seeds.  Dairy is ok in moderation.  All grains, processed sugar and processed foods are cut out.  The goal is to reverse the symptoms of metabolic syndrome (HBP[don't have this one], high cholesterol, high blood glucose, high body fat).  We are supposedly eating closer to how we ate 10,000+ years ago in our most growthful phases. (There are other tenets to the program that involve movement, sunshine, play, etc.)

I posted a little bit ago (2 months maybe?) that was bringing weight training back into the fold.  I have been only getting it done once a week.  But even that little bit has already resulted in some improved muscle tone and increased strength.

I am also a member of the over 40+ shoulder injury club.  Somewhere, somehow I partially tore my right rotator cuff.  It was diagnosed by my chiropractor/acupuncturist with the arm stretched out in front of my body, angled to the left and thumb down.  I am still able to work through it but it requires conscious effort or the right elbow tends to hang down.

Before pictures?   <SCREAM!!!!>  Do we really need to do that?  :PGlad to see some energy here.  I plan to stick this out for 6 months and see how my body is responding.  It is not BFL.  But I know most of us have long moved past that program and ventured into other interesting and growthful programs.

~Kelley

Current pictures??? OMG! How about I commit to taking them now and sharing them later. ...lol ...Much, much later!

I did mention falling back into the comfort foods pit of life. Didn't I? My current " physique " is something that would not be appropriate for pin-up distribution. In fact, I think I've learned to dislike mirrors. lol

I suppose it's not as bad as my before, back in circa 2004, but, not nearly as svelt as I was for my daugthers' and son's weddings, that's for sure.

>From: bodyforlife (on behalf of " Dana Plagens - RR " )

>

>

>

>

>

>

> still here.

>

>

>

> .

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Dana

>

>

>

> gholowko@...

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi all,

>

> Chiming in from the " over " , over 40 crowd, I just

> need to say...

>

>

>

>

> very, very slowly.

>

> back-slide.

>

>

> exercise wagon.

>

> grand-pop-hood, too.

>

>

>

> about...

>

>

>

> Therese Luna )

> >

> >

> >

> > Brett,

> > shoulders!

> > I relate to your statement " I need that exertion,

> > daily, to stay sane " . I am going absolutely nuts.

> and

> > am in the " wait for 6 weeks (and take it easy) to

> > see if it helps " stage. I've been running and

> the

> > closest i can get to " taking it easy " ). Even

> on the bench,

> about

> > right now.

> it

> and

> surgeon

> in

> don't

> confused I

> > am?!

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Andy,

> >

> > " managed " but so far, so good.

> the

> > I chose therapy.

> > sane.

> > " ok, I'll give you some blood flow. " So, I

> set

> > 15 reps or so.

> > then.

> > sessions we had.

> > dealing with.

> > the full story)

> >

> > wrote:

> >

> > Terri

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > problem.

> >

> >

> > Stronglifts website

> >

> >

> > still a problem.

> >

> > Andy

> >

> >

>

>

Alright everyone – I created a group on Facebook called Body for Life. I’ve sent invites to Brett and Andy (friend requests) and added those that I already had as friends. , , and Terri. Who else are we missing? J Dana From: bodyforlife [mailto:bodyforlife ] On Behalf Of Dana Plagens - RRSent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:47 PMTo: bodyforlife Subject: RE: shoulder issue I’m on Facebook. I think I’m already friends with Andy, and . You can find me under Dana Plagens if ya wanna. J Good idea too btw. From: bodyforlife [mailto:bodyforlife ] On Behalf Of Therese LunaSent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:27 PMTo: bodyforlife Subject: Re: shoulder issue is anyone on facebook? We could be friends. Lotsa pics there usually. :) I think everyone is being a bit uber-critical of themselves!!! Come on now isn’t that sorta unsportsmanlike or something? J Dana From: bodyforlife [mailto:bodyforlife ] On Behalf Of Brett Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:22 PMTo: bodyforlife Subject: Re: shoulder issue Ha, I'll just paste my head, arms and legs onto my 16yo sons shredded torso.Brett Post current pix???? OMG.............a unison barf if I did that. i am such a slob.......this change of lifestyle is the pits body-wise for me. Keeping up with the workout routines, but I hate, hate, totally dispise cardio. Hence, I have not been doing much of it. And it shows. Well, I am in NY doing a milking job from last Friday till the 21st. Then the SU and I are off to Bristol for the races. I won't be back home till the 28th. Have to be home by the 29th, as I have to work that day. Yes, I am now a working stiff. Got a job at the local sale barn filling out health papers for animals crossing the state line. Don't work for the sale barn, I work for the vet clinic that is responsible for doing them. A neighbor gal and I are job sharing, since neither one of us can commit to it on a full-time basis. It's Monday and Wed. afternoons......the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month, and the 3rd Sat. of the month. More sitting on my arse. LOL Z Re: shoulder issue >To: bodyforlife >>>> Brett,> Seriously. These over 40 year old shoulders! I> wish we could just trade them in for 20 year old> shoulders!> I relate to your statement " I need that exertion,> daily, to stay sane " . I am going absolutely nuts.> I've had 3 PRP injections (platelet rich> plasma...they spin out my own blood, and inject my> own plasma into the injury) in my partially torn> tendon in an effort to speed the healing process and> am in the " wait for 6 weeks (and take it easy) to> see if it helps " stage. I've been running and> biking and squatting and lunging and doing sit-ups> and one-armed pushups against the wall. (this is the> closest i can get to " taking it easy " ). Even> running up a (steep) hill hurts my shoulder right> now. The movement that you were doing on the bench,> over head, straight arms? Hurts just to think about> that...there's no way I could make that movement> right now.> Apparen! tly my case is borderline for whether or> not the PRP will help. And I'm thoroughly confused> about whether or not resting it and trying to let it> heal is a better option than surgery. What I> absolutely don't want is to rest for 6 months and> THEN have to have surgery. At this point I'm at 3> months of PT (and chiropractics and acupuncture) and> one month of totally resting the shoulder. The> total rest started with the injections. The surgeon> says that if in 6 weeks following the final> injection (5 weeks from now) there is no decrease in> pain, then he wants to repair it. Of course I don't> want to do that. But I can't be sure that it isn't> the right thing to do. Did I mention how confused I> am?!>> >>>> Andy,>> I have a slap tear in my left shoulder and> tendonitis in my right. They both have to be> " managed " but so far, so good.> Right shoulder trouble started 5 years ago through> an initial arm-overhead event which caused a bit> of irritation, then overuse (including bench, bar> dips, and oddly, sleeping on my side), and a long> nasty roller-coaster healing process with results> that would at times have me barely benching the> bar and at times benching almost 300, only to have> to back way off again.> About 9 months in, with both shoulders now a lot> weaker from lack of training heavy, I did the left> shoulder damage carrying 16' Trex deck planks,> turning and having them swing about, then trying> to stop the motion and causing the tear since the> muscles weren't as strong as I was used to. In 24> years of weight training (at that point) I had> never injured a joint, and when I hurt my right> shoulder I was very near my strength peak of a> couple years prior. Anyway, left shoulder healing> was similar to right shoulder healing. Slow and> inconsistent. Plus, super hard to do squats.> I saw a surgeon for both shoulders and we went> through the options. He didn't think there was> soft tissue damage in the right shoulder, just> angry tendons. On the left shoulder, if it healed> it was just a pinch, cuz a tear wouldn't heal. I> didn't like the downtime associated with surgery.> I chose therapy.> Lots of light movements were what the physical> terrorist prescribed. He said the shoulder joint> area gets little blood flow, so amp up the blood> flow. Also stretching to maintain range of> motion. And rotator cuff exercises to make those> muscles stronger to better stabilize the joint,> whether it was a slap tear or not.> He gave me some exercises and I worked them into> my regular daily workout. Progress was slow as> stated above. I got sick of the light movements> and never going heavy. Much of the benefit I get> from weight training is the intensity of going> heavy and giving it all I have on at least a few> reps per workout. Hitting the 10 as Bill > suggests. I need that exertion, daily, to stay> sane.> The PT said it's all about blood flow, so I said,> " ok, I'll give you some blood flow. " So, I> started going heavier, but also treating each set> like a heavy/light superset/rehab set, adding a> lighter weight opposite or complementary motion to> the main exercise. Basically, adding a set of> back or shoulders to every set of chest, or a set> of chest or shoulders to every set of back, and so> on. The additional set would usually be a set of> 15 reps or so.> Progress improved much faster, and now I'm nearly> back to where I was before the injury. Last April> I had a reminder that my left shoulder is not 100%> when I was loading some stuff in my jeep> (generator, EZ-up, etc) and handled them like a> roadie with good shoulders. I backed off for a> couple weeks and the pain went away pretty> quickly. And I've made strength progress since> then.> In addition to the supersets, the other thing that> really helps is occasionally laying on my back on> a bench and taking a 10lb (or even 5 lb) weight in> each hand and reaching/stretching over my head to> the floor, arms as straight as possible. My right> hand can easily touch the floor, but I have to> work it to get the left hand to the floor. The PT> had me do stretches similar to this during the few> sessions we had.> Get it checked out, so you know what you are> dealing with.> Brett (sorry so long, just thought I'd give you> the full story)>> >> ack! I've been dealing with a torn rotator cuff> for months...all the while thinking it was> tightness and maybe some inflammation. Pt,> acupuncture, chiropractics for 3 months now.> Finally saw a shoulder surgeon who did an> ultrasound (way less expensive than MRI) and he> found a tear in the super spinatus. (i don't> know how it's spelled!) Still deciding how to> handle from here. I highly suggest just> having it looked at. I feel like I wasted the> whole summer screwing around. At our age, the> chance that it's a cuff tear or a slap tear is> greater than you expect it to be, and you can> get them just from chronic over use... not> necessarily an acute injury.> This whole body being older than my mind thing> is really a bummer. :(> Hope it's something minor!> Terri> >>>> Last August I did something to my left> shoulder going down a water slide and it has> been a slight problem ever since. For about 6> months I could not sleep on my left side> without pain. Then it got better and no> problem.>> Then I was running on the trails a couple> months ago and tripped and somehow pulled it> funny and it hurt again. I mentioned this> problem to my chiropractor and he really got> in there with his thumbs on a couple different> visits and that seemed to fix the problem> again and I don't notice it.>> I started doing squats again this week and> noticed it hurts when I get the bar into> position and I am guessing it is partially a> flexibility issue. I can lift through even> adding weight. I am also trying shoulder> dislocations exercise I found on the> Stronglifts website> http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/>> I cannot do this exercise with a broomstick> like they demonstrate so my shoulders must be> tight. Exercise bands I can get through it.> Also, tried the Doorway Pec Stretches and the> Thoracic Extension on a foam roller.>> If anyone has any ideas, let me know since I> am not sure if this will improve as I increase> the weight unless these exercises help. I> guess I will see if it improves in the next 2> weeks and see what my chiro has to say if> still a problem.>> Andy>>

Bad PT advice was putting it in a sling. I can't think of the name of the bar,

but it has a curve in it so if you have inflexible shoulders your hands can

still grip.

Andy

> What was Hugh's bad PT advice? What's the " special bar " ? A workout tool or a

place for people with bad shoulders to hang out together and drink? ;)

If you have tried everything, then surgery might be a good option. I understand

your confusion. My last straw before I had back surgery was when I went to see

yet another chiropractor and it just wasn't working and I was tired of paying

money for stuff that didn't work. Surgery is a big step though and they will

never make any guarantees.

Andy

>

> Brett,

> Seriously. These over 40 year old shoulders! I wish we could just trade

them in for 20 year old shoulders!

>

> I relate to your statement " I need that exertion, daily, to stay sane " . I am

going absolutely nuts. I've had 3 PRP injections (platelet rich plasma...they

spin out my own blood, and inject my own plasma into the injury) in my partially

torn tendon in an effort to speed the healing process and am in the " wait for 6

weeks (and take it easy) to see if it helps " stage. I've been running and

biking and squatting and lunging and doing sit-ups and one-armed pushups against

the wall. (this is the closest i can get to " taking it easy " ). Even running up

a (steep) hill hurts my shoulder right now. The movement that you were doing on

the bench, over head, straight arms? Hurts just to think about that...there's

no way I could make that movement right now.

>

> Apparently my case is borderline for whether or not the PRP will help. And

I'm thoroughly confused about whether or not resting it and trying to let it

heal is a better option than surgery. What I absolutely don't want is to rest

for 6 months and THEN have to have surgery. At this point I'm at 3 months of PT

(and chiropractics and acupuncture) and one month of totally resting the

shoulder. The total rest started with the injections. The surgeon says that if

in 6 weeks following the final injection (5 weeks from now) there is no decrease

in pain, then he wants to repair it. Of course I don't want to do that. But I

can't be sure that it isn't the right thing to do. Did I mention how confused I

am?!

>

It is great to hear from you and you have made progress! We all have these

forces working against us whether it be mental struggles or physical. The

desire to keep moving forward even if we are moving back at times is good.

My main struggle is every so often I get a bag of peanut butter M & Ms and treat

them like one serving. Also, staying motivated recently has also been a

struggle. For 7 years I have enjoyed running, but have recently realized that

it has become a little too consuming for me. I still want running and even

ultras as a part of my life, but I need to cut back and have down time too.

Andy

> >

> >

> >

> > problem.

> >

> > in there with his thumbs on a couple different

> > visits and that seemed to fix the problem

> >

> > Stronglifts website

> >

> >

> > guess I will see if it improves in the next 2

> > still a problem.

> >

> > Andy

> >

> >

>

Dana,

The last time I took an actual progress picture was 8 years ago!

I've actually been meaning to take a new before picture but just haven't gotten

it done yet.

I can put together a strip of pics if you send to me.

Andy

>

> Hello All~ It is nice to hear some noise on this board again. I know it

> got chatty a couple of months or so ago and then it went quiet again.

> , the struggle is not one that I think is ever conquered, just

> managed. I do the same thing - fall back on the comfort of food at times.

> I haven't achieved the physical goals that I had hoped for but am not ready

> to give up. I will be celebrating my 50th birthday in 3 weeks and had hoped

> to be in great shape but I didn't get focused enough to make it happen.

> That being said, I am refocusing now and mapping a plan for what I'll do to

> get to the destination I want. I don't have much weight to lose but I've

> got some definition to get to. Dining out is something that me and my S/O

> like to do on the weekends. That can get dangerous when you're talking

> dessert, a glass or 2 of wine plus apps and main courses. I don't have the

> shoulder inquiries that some of you have but I do have a lower back issue

> that will rear its head from time to time so I feel pretty lucky in that

> respect. All else physically is good shape and able to work. I've been

> working at the gym 5 days a week for the most part and with a trainer for 3

> of those days - I'm thinking it's time for a change in trainers. In the

> last year my job of 23 years came to an end (company closed), my daughter

> had a baby and I moved to Florida. I may have posted this already, but this

> is what I've been dealing with in my struggle to find normalcy, structure

> and routine. J

>

>

>

> Well that's where I am and I'm glad to see you all still here.

>

>

>

> Progress NOT Perfection IS STILL RIGHT - thanks .

>

>

>

> Maybe time for us all to post current pics of ourselves. What do you think?

>

>

>

> Dana

KB, it is interesting that you are doing Primal Blueprint. Back in Jan or Feb

2011, I had private discussion with Terri about PB and Paleo. I purchased some

books that I meant to read after I had back surgery but didn't get them read at

that time. Fast forward to October 2011 and we are at a local 5/10K and see one

of our friends that had lost 30 lbs or so and looked healthy. He has also run

some ultras. He mentioned that he was eating Primal. Hugh was impressed so I

reviewed the books and we started eating Primal in November. Hugh has lost 12

lbs.

At first eating this way was a bit stressful figuring out where to find some of

the ingredients for new recipes, but now I am enjoying the food. I have learned

to adapt other recipes. Our biggest issue is hurting us is that we take a free

day and other free meal every so often, but maybe that is just part of life.

Hugh would still like to lose 5 or 10 more lbs but progress has stalled. I

think a few tweaks like resistance training and not buying the occasional bag of

M & Ms he would see some amazing results.

The waist is the first place I accumulate fat. I don't know if it is just the

running or the occasional backslide eating a bag of peanut M & Ms or when I slack

on weight lifting. I do know when I was just running and eating pretty clean,

my waist had more fat than when I was lifting weights. Whenever I add back in

weight training it seems to be less of problem.

It has been a crazy year and I think I have run far too many races. Weight

training was pushed back even though I think I managed a little almost every

month so far. It wasn't until late June that I became consistent and have

averaged just over 2 per week and that is taking off a week before and after BR.

I had been aiming for 4 per week when I started P90X. I just switched to a new

routine this week and the goal is 3 sessions per week. I am enjoying it and

overall feeling better, but running is becoming more of a struggle. I think if

I just run and don't sign up for many races I will be fine.

One last thing that was a reality check for me with just running. Back in April

2008, I was scanned at 10.7% and in April 2012, I was scanned at 16% so I think

the cutting way back on weight lifting increased my BF. I was so consistent for

several years. Trying to get back to that is my goal for now.

Andy

>

> Well Hello Hello!

>

> Nice to see some 'old' friends from the past BFL days.

>

> I think once I jumped off into the world of running, I basically left BFL

> and barely looked back.

>

> After 8 years of having an almost exclusive focus on running, and

> consequently developing a (un)healthy runner's middle, I recently decided

> to shift my routines and diet around. Alot.

>

> I began the Primal Blueprint diet 10 days ago. It basically focuses on

> getting in healthy protein and veggies, some fruit, nuts and seeds. Dairy

> is ok in moderation. All grains, processed sugar and processed foods are

> cut out. The goal is to reverse the symptoms of metabolic syndrome

> (HBP[don't have this one], high cholesterol, high blood glucose, high body

> fat). We are supposedly eating closer to how we ate 10,000+ years ago in

> our most growthful phases. (There are other tenets to the program that

> involve movement, sunshine, play, etc.)

>

> I posted a little bit ago (2 months maybe?) that was bringing weight

> training back into the fold. I have been only getting it done once a

> week. But even that little bit has already resulted in some improved

> muscle tone and increased strength.

>

> I am also a member of the over 40+ shoulder injury club. Somewhere,

> somehow I partially tore my right rotator cuff. It was diagnosed by my

> chiropractor/acupuncturist with the arm stretched out in front of my body,

> angled to the left and thumb down. I am still able to work through it but

> it requires conscious effort or the right elbow tends to hang down.

>

> Before pictures? <SCREAM!!!!> Do we really need to do that? :P

>

> Glad to see some energy here. I plan to stick this out for 6 months and

> see how my body is responding. It is not BFL. But I know most of us have

> long moved past that program and ventured into other interesting and

> growthful programs.

>

> ~Kelley

M & M's..........as long as it's not a 4 pound bag. LOL

Z

Re: shoulder issue

,It is great to hear from you and you have made progress! We all have these forces working against us whether it be mental struggles or physical. The desire to keep moving forward even if we are moving back at times is good. My main struggle is every so often I get a bag of peanut butter M & Ms and treat them like one serving. Also, staying motivated recently has also been a struggle. For 7 years I have enjoyed running, but have recently realized that it has become a little too consuming for me. I still want running and even ultras as a part of my life, but I need to cut back and have down time too.Andy> >> >> >> > Last August I did something to my left> > shoulder going down a water slide and it has> > been a slight problem ever since. For about 6> > months I could not sleep on my left side> > without pain. Then it got better and no> > problem.> >> > Then I was running on the trails a couple> > months ago and tripped and somehow pulled it> > funny and it hurt again. I mentioned this> > problem to my chiropractor and he really got> > in there with his thumbs on a couple different> > visits and that seemed to fix the problem> > again and I don't notice it.> >> > I started doing squats again this week and> > noticed it hurts when I get the bar into> > position and I am guessing it is partially a> > flexibility issue. I can lift through even> > adding weight. I am also trying shoulder> > dislocations exercise I found on the> > Stronglifts website> > http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/> >> > I cannot do this exercise with a broomstick> > like they demonstrate so my shoulders must be> > tight. Exercise bands I can get through it.> > Also, tried the Doorway Pec Stretches and the> > Thoracic Extension on a foam roller.> >> > If anyone has any ideas, let me know since I> > am not sure if this will improve as I increase> > the weight unless these exercises help. I> > guess I will see if it improves in the next 2> > weeks and see what my chiro has to say if> > still a problem.> >> > Andy> >> >>

Sounds like all the evidence is right there in front of you to promote heavy resistance training! I'm 100% on board with that. That's why I haven't been able to look at the fact that at least I can still bike and run as "looking at the bright side". I need that rush that I get with training I've been doing. Nothing has ever made me sweat more than my constantly varied high intensity function movement workouts!Terri

KB, it is interesting that you are doing Primal Blueprint. Back in Jan or Feb 2011, I had private discussion with Terri about PB and Paleo. I purchased some books that I meant to read after I had back surgery but didn't get them read at that time. Fast forward to October 2011 and we are at a local 5/10K and see one of our friends that had lost 30 lbs or so and looked healthy. He has also run some ultras. He mentioned that he was eating Primal. Hugh was impressed so I reviewed the books and we started eating Primal in November. Hugh has lost 12 lbs.

At first eating this way was a bit stressful figuring out where to find some of the ingredients for new recipes, but now I am enjoying the food. I have learned to adapt other recipes. Our biggest issue is hurting us is that we take a free day and other free meal every so often, but maybe that is just part of life. Hugh would still like to lose 5 or 10 more lbs but progress has stalled. I think a few tweaks like resistance training and not buying the occasional bag of M & Ms he would see some amazing results.

The waist is the first place I accumulate fat. I don't know if it is just the running or the occasional backslide eating a bag of peanut M & Ms or when I slack on weight lifting. I do know when I was just running and eating pretty clean, my waist had more fat than when I was lifting weights. Whenever I add back in weight training it seems to be less of problem.

It has been a crazy year and I think I have run far too many races. Weight training was pushed back even though I think I managed a little almost every month so far. It wasn't until late June that I became consistent and have averaged just over 2 per week and that is taking off a week before and after BR. I had been aiming for 4 per week when I started P90X. I just switched to a new routine this week and the goal is 3 sessions per week. I am enjoying it and overall feeling better, but running is becoming more of a struggle. I think if I just run and don't sign up for many races I will be fine.

One last thing that was a reality check for me with just running. Back in April 2008, I was scanned at 10.7% and in April 2012, I was scanned at 16% so I think the cutting way back on weight lifting increased my BF. I was so consistent for several years. Trying to get back to that is my goal for now.

Andy

>

> Well Hello Hello!

>

> Nice to see some 'old' friends from the past BFL days.

>

> I think once I jumped off into the world of running, I basically left BFL

> and barely looked back.

>

> After 8 years of having an almost exclusive focus on running, and

> consequently developing a (un)healthy runner's middle, I recently decided

> to shift my routines and diet around. Alot.

>

> I began the Primal Blueprint diet 10 days ago. It basically focuses on

> getting in healthy protein and veggies, some fruit, nuts and seeds. Dairy

> is ok in moderation. All grains, processed sugar and processed foods are

> cut out. The goal is to reverse the symptoms of metabolic syndrome

> (HBP[don't have this one], high cholesterol, high blood glucose, high body

> fat). We are supposedly eating closer to how we ate 10,000+ years ago in

> our most growthful phases. (There are other tenets to the program that

> involve movement, sunshine, play, etc.)

>

> I posted a little bit ago (2 months maybe?) that was bringing weight

> training back into the fold. I have been only getting it done once a

> week. But even that little bit has already resulted in some improved

> muscle tone and increased strength.

>

> I am also a member of the over 40+ shoulder injury club. Somewhere,

> somehow I partially tore my right rotator cuff. It was diagnosed by my

> chiropractor/acupuncturist with the arm stretched out in front of my body,

> angled to the left and thumb down. I am still able to work through it but

> it requires conscious effort or the right elbow tends to hang down.

>

> Before pictures? <SCREAM!!!!> Do we really need to do that? :P

>

> Glad to see some energy here. I plan to stick this out for 6 months and

> see how my body is responding. It is not BFL. But I know most of us have

> long moved past that program and ventured into other interesting and

> growthful programs.

>

> ~Kelley

Kelley!Somehow I missed your email! (caught the FB account but not the one below)Welcome (not really) to the shoulder injury club. Glad to hear you went Primal. I think it's the best way to eat, as long as you remember to get in tons of veggies and don't over do the red meat and bacon! I've been eating this way since January and never felt better. Between that and the hard core intense heavy lifting I had quite the body transformation over only a few months. Really, really missing the weights.Terri

My Facebook account is Kroto

Well Hello Hello!Nice to see some 'old' friends from the past BFL days.I think once I jumped off into the world of running, I basically left BFL and barely looked back.book

After 8 years of having an almost exclusive focus on running, and consequently developing a (un)healthy runner's middle, I recently decided to shift my routines and diet around. Alot.

I began the Primal Blueprint diet 10 days ago. It basically focuses on getting in healthy protein and veggies, some fruit, nuts and seeds. Dairy is ok in moderation. All grains, processed sugar and processed foods are cut out. The goal is to reverse the symptoms of metabolic syndrome (HBP[don't have this one], high cholesterol, high blood glucose, high body fat). We are supposedly eating closer to how we ate 10,000+ years ago in our most growthful phases. (There are other tenets to the program that involve movement, sunshine, play, etc.)

I posted a little bit ago (2 months maybe?) that was bringing weight training back into the fold. I have been only getting it done once a week. But even that little bit has already resulted in some improved muscle tone and increased strength.

I am also a member of the over 40+ shoulder injury club. Somewhere, somehow I partially tore my right rotator cuff. It was diagnosed by my chiropractor/acupuncturist with the arm stretched out in front of my body, angled to the left and thumb down. I am still able to work through it but it requires conscious effort or the right elbow tends to hang down.

Before pictures? <SCREAM!!!!> Do we really need to do that? :PGlad to see some energy here. I plan to stick this out for 6 months and see how my body is responding. It is not BFL. But I know most of us have long moved past that program and ventured into other interesting and growthful programs.

~Kelley

I did mention falling back into the comfort foods pit of life. Didn't I? My current "physique" is something that would not be appropriate for pin-up distribution. In fact, I think I've learned to dislike mirrors. lol

>From: bodyforlife (on behalf of "Dana Plagens - RR" )

>

>

>

>

>

>

> still here.

>

>

>

> .

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Dana

>

>

>

> gholowko@...

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi all,

>

> Chiming in from the "over", over 40 crowd, I just

> need to say...

>

>

>

>

> very, very slowly.

>

> back-slide.

>

>

> exercise wagon.

>

> grand-pop-hood, too.

>

>

>

> about...

>

>

>

> Therese Luna )

> >

> >

> >

> > Brett,

> > shoulders!

> > I relate to your statement "I need that exertion,

> > daily, to stay sane". I am going absolutely nuts.

> and

> > am in the "wait for 6 weeks (and take it easy) to

> > see if it helps" stage. I've been running and

> the

> > closest i can get to "taking it easy"). Even

> on the bench,

> about

> > right now.

> it

> and

> surgeon

> in

> don't

> confused I

> > am?!

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Andy,

> >

> > "managed" but so far, so good.

> the

> > I chose therapy.

> > sane.

> > "ok, I'll give you some blood flow." So, I

> set

> > 15 reps or so.

> > then.

> > sessions we had.

> > dealing with.

> > the full story)

> >

> > wrote:

> >

> > Terri

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > problem.

> >

> >

> > Stronglifts website

> >

> >

> > still a problem.

> >

> > Andy

> >

> >

>