RemedySpot.com

School

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm a teenager so I'm still in school I've only been noticing " symptoms " for a

few months but it's pretty bad. For example today in class it was completely

silent, except for this kid he was sniffling every second it felt. And the first

few times I would twitch a bit but try to ignore it, but he was doing it so

much, for 45 minutes too. I was restless and I was jabbing my fingers in my ears

so hard it was hurting I was scratching at them too and I was so close to crying

and screaming at him to stop. I ran out of the room so fast when the bell rang.

I want to tell my dad but I feel he would just say something like 'Oh you just

got annoyed that's all' and not believe that this seriously affects me everyday.

- Bree

And Bree, from what I understand - some people warn about reading the posts on this site (and other sites) really deeply - because there are lots of trigger noises described - and you don't want to add any more triggers to yourself .Also, if you get your family on board, maybe you can get them to go to the Pupil Personnel Dept. at school and get a 504 plan or something similar in place (confidentially) to help you w/the distractions in school.

I'm a teenager so I'm still in school I've only been noticing "symptoms" for a few months but it's pretty bad. For example today in class it was completely silent, except for this kid he was sniffling every second it felt. And the first few times I would twitch a bit but try to ignore it, but he was doing it so much, for 45 minutes too. I was restless and I was jabbing my fingers in my ears so hard it was hurting I was scratching at them too and I was so close to crying and screaming at him to stop. I ran out of the room so fast when the bell rang. I want to tell my dad but I feel he would just say something like 'Oh you just got annoyed that's all' and not believe that this seriously affects me everyday.

- Bree

I sympathize- I remember doing horribly on the SATs because the kid next to me kept moving his knee up and down on the chair in front of him. Just a tip- when I plug my ears I move my finger in and out to make a little noise- seems to muffle better than just plugging them. Wow- that was a crazy sentence lol. From: Derpa

To: "Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity > Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:43 PM Subject: School

I'm a teenager so I'm still in school I've only been noticing "symptoms" for a few months but it's pretty bad. For example today in class it was completely silent, except for this kid he was sniffling every second it felt. And the first few times I would twitch a bit but try to ignore it, but he was doing it so much, for 45 minutes too. I was restless and I was jabbing my fingers in my ears so hard it was hurting I was scratching at them too and I was so close to crying and screaming at him to stop. I ran out of the room so fast when the bell rang. I want to tell my dad but I feel he would just say something like 'Oh you just got annoyed that's all' and not believe that this seriously affects me everyday.

- Bree

Welcome to the Hotel California... try not to do yourself in, there's a good

chance you'll get help sooner than later; especially since you're not set in

your ways (Neurofeedback treatment seems promising). The fact that you've found

this site and know the term " Misophonia " so early in your life means that you

are luckier than alot of us. At this point, you should on ahead and talk to a

professional councellor, and make d@mn sure you mention the word " Misophonia " .

If you don't tell anyone, you're hurting more than just yourself; the fact that

we don't tell anyone about it is why it's so little known about. And don't let

your principle talk you into going to a depression clinic, EVER; it's the

seventh circle of hell for misophonics...

>

> I'm a teenager so I'm still in school I've only been noticing " symptoms " for a

few months but it's pretty bad. For example today in class it was completely

silent, except for this kid he was sniffling every second it felt. And the first

few times I would twitch a bit but try to ignore it, but he was doing it so

much, for 45 minutes too. I was restless and I was jabbing my fingers in my ears

so hard it was hurting I was scratching at them too and I was so close to crying

and screaming at him to stop. I ran out of the room so fast when the bell rang.

I want to tell my dad but I feel he would just say something like 'Oh you just

got annoyed that's all' and not believe that this seriously affects me everyday.

> - Bree

>

Bree, please gain the courage to let your counselor know. I sure wish I would have. First, please understand that soooo many kids have problem/issues today that they share with their teachers and educators....and they receive special treatment. You just never hear of it since it is kept confidential. Other kids get advantages for their issues....make sure you take advantage of this as well. The educators will be forced to make rules in their classrooms to accommodate and they will not tell the other kids why. And it's hard to believe when you're young...but honestly, teachers and counselors really don't care - so don't feel embarrassed. Heck, some of them may even feel the same way.One time in class a girl realized that I

couldn't stand her gum cracking (after probably making stink faces at her and saying stuff to other around me) That didn't work. She just came in one day with gum for the entire class and told them ALL to chew loudly to annoy me. Looking back, now I don't understand why I didn't say anything to anyone. But, i think now that you know it's an actual condition that your counselor can google and learn about...you have a fighting chance! To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:02 PM Subject: Re: School

And Bree, from what I understand - some people warn about reading the posts on this site (and other sites) really deeply - because there are lots of trigger noises described - and you don't want to add any more triggers to yourself .Also, if you get your family on board, maybe you can get them to go to the Pupil Personnel Dept. at school and get a 504 plan or something similar in place (confidentially) to help you w/the distractions in school.

- Bree

Bree,

I am so sorry you are going through this. First of all, print out every

article you could find or email the today show segment to your Dad.

Have him read as much as he can and let him see this site. I do

understand this is a very hard thing to do. I am only telling you what

I did. My daughter suffers greatly with misophonia. I had to print

everything I could to back up what my daughter was going through.

Secondly, I have to tell you, the place we received the most support was

from my daughter's school. For years we tried to hide it but finely we

couldn't any longer. I called the counselor and talked to her over the

phone, then set up a meeting with her. We were blessed to have a new

counselor whom is the most compassionate and understanding person out

there. We then had to meet with others but it was all so positive .

They couldn't believe my daughter was doing so well in school while

going through all of this. They were very supportive. They also

talked about setting up a 504 plan. We never ended up doing that

because the school was so supportive. They allowed my daughter to take

her tests on makeup days for they knew not many kids would be in the

room. They rearrange a lot for her and were very helpful. They knew

her and that helped. They weren't judging her for they knew she was a

great kid. She was very involved in the school at the time so they

couldn't believe that she was doing this while suffering through it all.

They were very compassionate. I pray if you go to the school system

you also receive the same support. I only wish we did it sooner. Oh

one more thing......I had the assistant principle of the school call me

to tell me her and her mom also suffer from it but never knew it had a

name. She was very grateful to hear my daughter's story. You never

know by asking for help you may actually help someone else too! Don't

forget we are all here for you too!

Bernadette

>

> Â

> >I'm a teenager so I'm still in school I've only been noticing

" symptoms " for a few months but it's pretty bad. For example today in

class it was completely silent, except for this kid he was sniffling

every second it felt. And the first few times I would twitch a bit but

try to ignore it, but he was doing it so much, for 45 minutes too. I was

restless and I was jabbing my fingers in my ears so hard it was hurting

I was scratching at them too and I was so close to crying and screaming

at him to stop. I ran out of the room so fast when the bell rang. I want

to tell my dad but I feel he would just say something like 'Oh you just

got annoyed that's all' and not believe that this seriously affects me

everyday.

> >- Bree

>

• 5 months later...

Hi Mandy, You sound like a very well rounded 15 year old. I'm sorry to hear about the misophonia. I Have a 14 year old; shows slight symptoms. I hope that this board provides some relief in knowing that you're not alone. Again, you sound like a real trooper - very mature, level headed. Good luck to you and we'll be chatting.Margaret To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:40:15 PM Subject: School

Hey guys. I just want to start off by saying; this group has helped me so much through everything in life.

First I suppose I should introduce myself; you may call me Mandy. I am a 15 year old suffering from misophonia since i was about 4 (from what i can remember) AND goes to public school. GOODIE!!!....not. Well my days never start rather well. My whole family (except for me) suffers from "morning allergies" (you sneeze a lot when you first wake up). The down side: sneezing has always been my harshest trigger. I wake up in a bad mood and a lack of sympathy from my family shows up thus forth enraging me more. After that comes breakfast; chewing crunching; just the words alone make me upset.

Side note: My triggers don't enrage me per say; i actually get very VERY upset to the point where i have a meltdown depending on the intensity of the sound.

To follow comes the bus...any sound that can bother you could be found on the bus. Its dreadful. The only way i can cope at this point is listening to my MP3. I get to school ear plugs go in. My teachers dont know i have 4S and im just starting to tell my friends because its begun to intensify. I cope I deal but sometimes you just need someone like you. I really appreciate all of you. No need for anyone to respond if they dont want to. I just needed a little venting time. I know it was an abrupt ending but im running out of time on my battery. And on that note i say adieu.

Hey Mandy, I also suffered quite a bit in school as a result of my triggers.

I've up and left many classes and lectures because the sounds and movements were

just unbearable. I'm glad that you feel comfortable to share and that this group

gives you some relief! Everyone has to let it out sometimes.

>

> Hey guys. I just want to start off by saying; this group has helped me so much

through everything in life.

>

> First I suppose I should introduce myself; you may call me Mandy. I am a 15

year old suffering from misophonia since i was about 4 (from what i can

remember) AND goes to public school. GOODIE!!!....not. Well my days never start

rather well. My whole family (except for me) suffers from " morning allergies "

(you sneeze a lot when you first wake up). The down side: sneezing has always

been my harshest trigger. I wake up in a bad mood and a lack of sympathy from my

family shows up thus forth enraging me more. After that comes breakfast; chewing

crunching; just the words alone make me upset.

>

> Side note: My triggers don't enrage me per say; i actually get very VERY upset

to the point where i have a meltdown depending on the intensity of the sound.

>

> To follow comes the bus...any sound that can bother you could be found on the

bus. Its dreadful. The only way i can cope at this point is listening to my MP3.

I get to school ear plugs go in. My teachers dont know i have 4S and im just

starting to tell my friends because its begun to intensify. I cope I deal but

sometimes you just need someone like you. I really appreciate all of you. No

need for anyone to respond if they dont want to. I just needed a little venting

time. I know it was an abrupt ending but im running out of time on my battery.

And on that note i say adieu.

>

Thankyou Margaret! As much as I hate the struggles during my classes i pick up on the things they teach ;) haha I really appreciate your reply, it means a lot to me. Thankyou so much To: "Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity > Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:19 AM Subject: Re: School

Hi Mandy, You sound like a very well rounded 15 year old. I'm sorry to hear about the misophonia. I Have a 14 year old; shows slight symptoms. I hope that this board provides some relief in knowing that you're not alone. Again, you sound like a real trooper - very mature, level headed. Good luck to you and we'll be chatting.Margaret From: Fall4pandas

To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:40:15 PM Subject: School

Hey guys. I just want to start off by saying; this group has helped me so much through everything in life.

First I suppose I should introduce myself; you may call me Mandy. I am a 15 year old suffering from misophonia since i was about 4 (from what i can remember) AND goes to public school. GOODIE!!!....not. Well my days never start rather well. My whole family (except for me) suffers from "morning allergies" (you sneeze a lot when you first wake up). The down side: sneezing has always been my harshest trigger. I wake up in a bad mood and a lack of sympathy from my family shows up thus forth enraging me more. After that comes breakfast; chewing crunching; just the words alone make me upset.

Side note: My triggers don't enrage me per say; i actually get very VERY upset to the point where i have a meltdown depending on the intensity of the sound.

To follow comes the bus...any sound that can bother you could be found on the bus. Its dreadful. The only way i can cope at this point is listening to my MP3. I get to school ear plugs go in. My teachers dont know i have 4S and im just starting to tell my friends because its begun to intensify. I cope I deal but sometimes you just need someone like you. I really appreciate all of you. No need for anyone to respond if they dont want to. I just needed a little venting time. I know it was an abrupt ending but im running out of time on my battery. And on that note i say adieu.

Thank you sooo much for responding. Its nice to hear that people do get it sometimes. Between lunch and teachers allowing gum and foods in the room...ugh. Sometimes others just don't put 2 and 2 together when it comes to 4S. To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:28 AM Subject:

Re: School

Hey Mandy, I also suffered quite a bit in school as a result of my triggers. I've up and left many classes and lectures because the sounds and movements were just unbearable. I'm glad that you feel comfortable to share and that this group gives you some relief! Everyone has to let it out sometimes.

>

> Hey guys. I just want to start off by saying; this group has helped me so much through everything in life.

>

> First I suppose I should introduce myself; you may call me Mandy. I am a 15 year old suffering from misophonia since i was about 4 (from what i can remember) AND goes to public school. GOODIE!!!....not. Well my days never start rather well. My whole family (except for me) suffers from "morning allergies" (you sneeze a lot when you first wake up). The down side: sneezing has always been my harshest trigger. I wake up in a bad mood and a lack of sympathy from my family shows up thus forth enraging me more. After that comes breakfast; chewing crunching; just the words alone make me upset.

>

> Side note: My triggers don't enrage me per say; i actually get very VERY upset to the point where i have a meltdown depending on the intensity of the sound.

>

> To follow comes the bus...any sound that can bother you could be found on the bus. Its dreadful. The only way i can cope at this point is listening to my MP3. I get to school ear plugs go in. My teachers dont know i have 4S and im just starting to tell my friends because its begun to intensify. I cope I deal but sometimes you just need someone like you. I really appreciate all of you. No need for anyone to respond if they dont want to. I just needed a little venting time. I know it was an abrupt ending but im running out of time on my battery. And on that note i say adieu.

>