Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

In my case I wouldn't say as much irritation so much as discomfort. Not in the

sense most people use discomfort, but in the literal " this is weird " sense. I

don't think touching people (hugging, etc) has ever felt easy or comfortable or

natural to me. I am 38 and even to this day every time I hug someone, going

through my mind is a litany of " I wonder if my hands are in the correct place or

I am standing properly, etc " combined with an almost alien feeling about the

whole thing.

>

> Hi everyone -

>

> I am so happy to have found you - it has made a big difference in the way I

perceive myself, knowing that I'm not alone.

>

> I have all of the classic misophonia symptoms, with extreme irritation and

rage at noises from others including sniffling, eating, dogs barking,

neighborhood drumming and construction and so much more.

>

> I'm wondering, does anyone else in the group feel irritated about being

touched? While I am in relationships I am generally okay with it, but even as

child, I never liked being held or cuddled. I still have difficulty having any

physical contact with my mother (hugging) or friends. I don't like the feeling

of being touched - as I think about this it's also true that if I cuddle with

someone I might be more likely to hear the " funny noises " that drive me crazy.

>

> Does anyone else out there have irritation on being touched?

>

Guest guest

Yes I do if anyone handles my SHOLDERS or LOWER 1/2 of my LEFT ARM because of the ARTHIS in those places someonje touches bme there I will automaticly SNAP at the person unless its my Dr. my PT. or my MOTHER (a RETIRED PT) NO 1 touches me there or they get spoken to in what they call my BEING ANGRY when it is the AMOUNT of PAIN FELT AFTER BEING TOUCHED THERE

Guest guest

Definitely can relate. The same way I respond to sounds are the same for some touches. An ex use to love tap me on my bottom. Boiling rage would consume me. One day he tapped my leg as we were watching a movie. I had to flee. That very same day is when I started my search as to why I responded to loving gestures with internal rage. I kept Googling "touching, angry, etc." stumbled upon "Highly Sensitive People" books etc. It was definitely a starting point for me. I just hugged someone today. Feels foreign as you mentioned. My sleep doctor suggested I talk to a therapist. I didn't understand why. I said I just don't like certain touches. What will a therapist do? I went to a couple of session. Mind blowing! I had to stop because of a major surgery. I will be returning. He said my fear/flight responses are from my childhood PTSD. I started researching. I'm thinking military PTSD... Some of us get rewired neurologically to no fault of our own. Neglect, abuse etc. I would write more but I'm literally moving right now and my help is staring me down. Sorry for any typos. No time for a read through but you are not alone! Sent from my iPhone

In my case I wouldn't say as much irritation so much as discomfort. Not in the sense most people use discomfort, but in the literal "this is weird" sense. I don't think touching people (hugging, etc) has ever felt easy or comfortable or natural to me. I am 38 and even to this day every time I hug someone, going through my mind is a litany of "I wonder if my hands are in the correct place or I am standing properly, etc" combined with an almost alien feeling about the whole thing.

>

> Hi everyone -

>

> I am so happy to have found you - it has made a big difference in the way I perceive myself, knowing that I'm not alone.

>

> I have all of the classic misophonia symptoms, with extreme irritation and rage at noises from others including sniffling, eating, dogs barking, neighborhood drumming and construction and so much more.

>

> I'm wondering, does anyone else in the group feel irritated about being touched? While I am in relationships I am generally okay with it, but even as child, I never liked being held or cuddled. I still have difficulty having any physical contact with my mother (hugging) or friends. I don't like the feeling of being touched - as I think about this it's also true that if I cuddle with someone I might be more likely to hear the "funny noises" that drive me crazy.

>

>

=

Guest guest

When someone touches me without my knowing they're going to touch

me, it really startles me and I get tingly sensations going up and

down my spine. It is unsettling because now I have to deal with that

feeling in my spine and is disruptive to whatever I was doing.

I've asked people to gently place their entire hand on my shoulder

and squeeze it slightly, to get my attention. That helps a lot, but

still startling at times especially when I'm extremely focused on

whatever I'm doing. People tapping me or poking me is just a big NO

NO. But, that is how people like to get others attention, which is

unfortunate for those of us dealing with this condition.

-Randall

This message is intended solely for

the use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed,

and contains information that is private, privileged,

confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable state

and federal laws. If you are not the addressee, or are not

authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby

notified that you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose to

anyone this message or the information contained herein. If you

have received this message in error, immediately advise the

sender by reply email and destroy this message.

Hi everyone -

I am so happy to have found you - it has made a big

difference in the way I perceive myself, knowing that I'm

not alone.

I have all of the classic misophonia symptoms, with

extreme irritation and rage at noises from others

including sniffling, eating, dogs barking, neighborhood

drumming and construction and so much more.

I'm wondering, does anyone else in the group feel

irritated about being touched? While I am in relationships

I am generally okay with it, but even as child, I never

liked being held or cuddled. I still have difficulty

having any physical contact with my mother (hugging) or

friends. I don't like the feeling of being touched - as I

think about this it's also true that if I cuddle with

someone I might be more likely to hear the "funny noises"

that drive me crazy.

Does anyone else out there have irritation on being

touched?

Guest guest

Being touched is another one of my quirks! I get super bad anxiety knowing that

I am going to be meeting with a " hugger " .. I also have weird skin reactions to

certain fabrics,soaps, etc.

Glad you found us!

>

> Hi everyone -

>

>

>

someone I might be more likely to hear the " funny noises " that drive me crazy.

>

>

Guest guest

Brittany. I too have skin allergies. Been taking Zyrtec and Singulair for 19 years for chronic allergies. Allergic to aspirin and penicillin. Yellow #5 dye. Dye free everything. Migraines and insomnia. As well as mitral valve prolapse. I don't wear perfumes. I smell and hear everything more than others. On top of this condition!! So I'm a mess but still praying for hope. Sent from my iPhone

Being touched is another one of my quirks! I get super bad anxiety knowing that I am going to be meeting with a "hugger".. I also have weird skin reactions to certain fabrics,soaps, etc.

Glad you found us!

>

> Hi everyone -

>

> I am so happy to have found you - it has made a big difference in the way I perceive myself, knowing that I'm not alone.

>

> I have all of the classic misophonia symptoms, with extreme irritation and rage at noises from others including sniffling, eating, dogs barking, neighborhood drumming and construction and so much more.

>

> I'm wondering, does anyone else in the group feel irritated about being touched? While I am in relationships I am generally okay with it, but even as child, I never liked being held or cuddled. I still have difficulty having any physical contact with my mother (hugging) or friends. I don't like the feeling of being touched - as I think about this it's also true that if I cuddle with someone I might be more likely to hear the "funny noises" that drive me crazy.

>

>

=

Guest guest

Oh my, its the strangest thing and it has only happened recently. My scalp is

peeling really bad and using natural shampoo is the only thing that seems to

calm it down, not COMPLETELY stop it but just make it so its bearable. I only

use natural products in the show and still everytime I get out of the show my

skin is glowing red and has a burning sensation (rosacea perhaps?). I need to go

to the dermatologist but last time I went for my hair falling out he blamed it

on either Prozac or Telogen effluvium and sent me away. So I am a bit

discouraged by the Dermatologist. Thank you for sharing :)

> > >

> > > Hi everyone -

> > >

> > > I am so happy to have found you - it has made a big difference in the way

I perceive myself, knowing that I'm not alone.

> > >

> > > I have all of the classic misophonia symptoms, with extreme irritation and

> > >

> > > I'm wondering, does anyone else in the group feel irritated about being

> > >

> > > Does anyone else out there have irritation on being touched?

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!

> > Bears hibernate under residential porch

> > Privacy Policy

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Yep, not a huge fan of being touched. Much like another members I startle when

someone taps me on the shoulder or pokes me with a finger. Much better to use

the whole hand. Apparently I told my parents that they couldn't touch me when I

was 7 or so which was upsetting to them. They did not understand this back then.

>

> Hi everyone -

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I have flinched a couple times when my mother has tried to hug me or put her arm around me. I don't seem to have that problem with anyone else. But I've noticed that if my husband gets into bed and I can feel it on the mattress, it enrages me. Same goes for when he drops his laptop on the mattress. Even though we just bought a tempurpedic I can still feel it. Same goes for the couch To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Friday, April 20, 2012 4:51 PM Subject: Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

Yep, not a huge fan of being touched. Much like another members I startle when someone taps me on the shoulder or pokes me with a finger. Much better to use the whole hand. Apparently I told my parents that they couldn't touch me when I was 7 or so which was upsetting to them. They did not understand this back then.

>

> Hi everyone -

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Everyone,

I don't have misophonia but my 17 year old daughter does. I have subscribed to

your group so that I can get tips and information on how to help her. Also, I am

a speech-language pathologist with 25 years of experience with children with

developmental disabilities, including autism, and children with sensory issues.

It occurs to me after reading your posts and seeing my daughter's difficulties

that some of you may have heightened or overly sensitive sensory perception in

general, not just for selected auditory noises. I hear some of you saying you

are averse to noises (auditory sense), watching people's repetitive motor

behaviors such as leg shaking or foot tapping (visual sense), smells (olfactory

sense), and being touched (touch sense). Are any of you also averse to certain

foods (taste sense)? I know my daughter is, and sometimes she is overly

sensitive to all the other senses as well. Incidentally, she is a very bright

young woman who qualifies as gifted and talented. I have also heard you

discussing whether a high IQ is a factor.

Anyway, I bring this up because I am wondering about the validity of the name "

misophonia " if so many other senses seem to be affected. As well, I wonder if

anyone knows if the American Psychiatric Association has a position on this. I

searched their website but couldn't find anything. I think this may be a good

organization to seek help from, because of the negative emotions that arise when

you experience these triggers. I welcome any feedback regarding my message.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad

Guest guest

It seems that so many people have very similar non-sonic triggers that we may have to reevaluate this condition and eventually give it a new name. There seems to be more going on herethan was originally thought. There is a broad spectrum of sensitivities which I believe are related. This needs to be studied!Mike To:

"Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity > Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:38 AM Subject: Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

Hi Everyone,

I don't have misophonia but my 17 year old daughter does. I have subscribed to your group so that I can get tips and information on how to help her. Also, I am a speech-language pathologist with 25 years of experience with children with developmental disabilities, including autism, and children with sensory issues.

It occurs to me after reading your posts and seeing my daughter's difficulties that some of you may have heightened or overly sensitive sensory perception in general, not just for selected auditory noises. I hear some of you saying you are averse to noises (auditory sense), watching people's repetitive motor behaviors such as leg shaking or foot tapping (visual sense), smells (olfactory sense), and being touched (touch sense). Are any of you also averse to certain foods (taste sense)? I know my daughter is, and sometimes she is overly sensitive to all the other senses as well. Incidentally, she is a very bright young woman who qualifies as gifted and talented. I have also heard you discussing whether a high IQ is a factor.

Anyway, I bring this up because I am wondering about the validity of the name " misophonia" if so many other senses seem to be affected. As well, I wonder if anyone knows if the American Psychiatric Association has a position on this. I searched their website but couldn't find anything. I think this may be a good organization to seek help from, because of the negative emotions that arise when you experience these triggers. I welcome any feedback regarding my message.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad

Guest guest

Hi and everyone,Glad I'm not alone. I guess I always knew I wasn't alone in this but lately I would find myself cringing at someone or something and when I looked around I wasn't finding anyone else with the same pain in his/face. My occasional Facebook wall post wouldn't have the same popular response as a pretty picture I took of... the spring blossoms, for exampleI guess I curious to know the demographics of people with Misophonia. I wonder if it's of upbringing values and experiences rather than genetics or both. I'm Asian, middle class, in my 30s. To add to 's question about posible connection with high IQ. I was told to have 130+ after taking an IQ test in 6th grade. Not until recently did I put annoyed by clock ticking and smacking/slurping/talking and chewing creating that wet sticky unpleasant sounds together in the same category that we so-called Misophonia. I'm not sure if my slight germs phobia and slight OCD (never formally diagnosed by a professional) have anything to do with my Misophonia. For example, sound of phlegmy throat, spitting with the visual of greasy hair or nose picking, the faintest scent of unbathe body. I know they not related but in my mind I imagine the one action interrelated to the others. I also wonder if my being a Color Grapheme Synesthete and/or auto immune disorders, alopecia areata, geographic tongue can all some how be related. I'm not a scientist so I figure this might be useful info perhaps for research or what have you...ArleneSent from my iPhone

Hi Everyone,

I don't have misophonia but my 17 year old daughter does. I have subscribed to your group so that I can get tips and information on how to help her. Also, I am a speech-language pathologist with 25 years of experience with children with developmental disabilities, including autism, and children with sensory issues.

It occurs to me after reading your posts and seeing my daughter's difficulties that some of you may have heightened or overly sensitive sensory perception in general, not just for selected auditory noises. I hear some of you saying you are averse to noises (auditory sense), watching people's repetitive motor behaviors such as leg shaking or foot tapping (visual sense), smells (olfactory sense), and being touched (touch sense). Are any of you also averse to certain foods (taste sense)? I know my daughter is, and sometimes she is overly sensitive to all the other senses as well. Incidentally, she is a very bright young woman who qualifies as gifted and talented. I have also heard you discussing whether a high IQ is a factor.

Anyway, I bring this up because I am wondering about the validity of the name " misophonia" if so many other senses seem to be affected. As well, I wonder if anyone knows if the American Psychiatric Association has a position on this. I searched their website but couldn't find anything. I think this may be a good organization to seek help from, because of the negative emotions that arise when you experience these triggers. I welcome any feedback regarding my message.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad

=

Guest guest

I am also a speech pathologist and my initial thoughts about my son's issues were that it was a sensory integration disorder. However I could not find much as it related to the auditory sensitivities as far as treatment, or better yet, successful treatment. But I would agree it is on the same spectrum. My son is aversive to certain clothes, he's a very picky eater, and he doesn't like the feeling of a certain type of book page/paper. Those are his only other sensory issues I can think of. Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®Sender: Soundsensitivity Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 08:54:34 -0700 (PDT)To: Soundsensitivity <Soundsensitivity >ReplyTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: Re: Re: Sensitivity to Touch? It seems that so many people have very similar non-sonic triggers that we may have to reevaluate this condition and eventually give it a new name. There seems to be more going on herethan was originally thought. There is a broad spectrum of sensitivities which I believe are related. This needs to be studied!Mike To:"Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity > Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:38 AM Subject: Re: Sensitivity to Touch? Hi Everyone,I don't have misophonia but my 17 year old daughter does. I have subscribed to your group so that I can get tips and information on how to help her. Also, I am a speech-language pathologist with 25 years of experience with children with developmental disabilities, including autism, and children with sensory issues. It occurs to me after reading your posts and seeing my daughter's difficulties that some of you may have heightened or overly sensitive sensory perception in general, not just for selected auditory noises. I hear some of you saying you are averse to noises (auditory sense), watching people's repetitive motor behaviors such as leg shaking or foot tapping (visual sense), smells (olfactory sense), and being touched (touch sense). Are any of you also averse to certain foods (taste sense)? I know my daughter is, and sometimes she is overly sensitive to all the other senses as well. Incidentally, she is a very bright young woman who qualifies as gifted and talented. I have also heard you discussing whether a high IQ is a factor.Anyway, I bring this up because I am wondering about the validity of the name " misophonia" if so many other senses seem to be affected. As well, I wonder if anyone knows if the American Psychiatric Association has a position on this. I searched their website but couldn't find anything. I think this may be a good organization to seek help from, because of the negative emotions that arise when you experience these triggers. I welcome any feedback regarding my message.Thank you.Sent from my iPad

Guest guest

Very interesting. After many years of having only the issue with the sounds of eating, I started to also not tolerate the texture of newspapers and all paper in books(and I used to read alot). There are other textures I come across that do the same thing also. I'm sure it is a stem of my original issue with the eating sounds. To: Soundsensitivity Sent:

Saturday, April 21, 2012 1:06 PM Subject: Re: Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

I am also a speech pathologist and my initial thoughts about my son's issues were that it was a sensory integration disorder. However I could not find much as it related to the auditory sensitivities as far as treatment, or better yet, successful treatment. But I would agree it is on the same spectrum. My son is aversive to certain clothes, he's a very picky eater, and he doesn't like the feeling of a certain type of book page/paper. Those are his only other sensory issues I can think of. Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Sender: Soundsensitivity

Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 08:54:34 -0700 (PDT)To: Soundsensitivity <Soundsensitivity >ReplyTo: Soundsensitivity

Subject: Re: Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

It seems that so many people have very similar non-sonic triggers that we may have to reevaluate this condition and eventually give it a new name. There seems to be more going on herethan was originally thought. There is a broad spectrum of sensitivities which I believe are related. This needs to be studied!Mike To:

"Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity > Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:38 AM Subject: Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

Hi Everyone,

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad

Guest guest

, the American Psychiatric Assn refers inquires about miso to the Sensory

Processing Disorder Foundation at sinetwork.org.

>

> Hi Everyone,

> I don't have misophonia but my 17 year old daughter does. I have subscribed to

your group so that I can get tips and information on how to help her. Also, I am

a speech-language pathologist with 25 years of experience with children with

developmental disabilities, including autism, and children with sensory issues.

> It occurs to me after reading your posts and seeing my daughter's difficulties

that some of you may have heightened or overly sensitive sensory perception in

general, not just for selected auditory noises. I hear some of you saying you

are averse to noises (auditory sense), watching people's repetitive motor

behaviors such as leg shaking or foot tapping (visual sense), smells (olfactory

sense), and being touched (touch sense). Are any of you also averse to certain

foods (taste sense)? I know my daughter is, and sometimes she is overly

sensitive to all the other senses as well. Incidentally, she is a very bright

young woman who qualifies as gifted and talented. I have also heard you

discussing whether a high IQ is a factor.

>

> Anyway, I bring this up because I am wondering about the validity of the name

" misophonia " if so many other senses seem to be affected. As well, I wonder if

anyone knows if the American Psychiatric Association has a position on this. I

searched their website but couldn't find anything. I think this may be a good

organization to seek help from, because of the negative emotions that arise when

you experience these triggers. I welcome any feedback regarding my message.

>

> Thank you.

>

> Sent from my iPad

>

Guest guest

I think you have got it right. Because I am not only sensitive to noises but all of the rest of the senses as well. Need to invent one of those sensitive toothpastes for not just teeth!

To: Soundsensitivity From: peachoid12@...Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:54:49 +0000Subject: Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

, the American Psychiatric Assn refers inquires about miso to the Sensory Processing Disorder Foundation at sinetwork.org.>> Hi Everyone,> I don't have misophonia but my 17 year old daughter does. I have subscribed to your group so that I can get tips and information on how to help her. Also, I am a speech-language pathologist with 25 years of experience with children with developmental disabilities, including autism, and children with sensory issues. > It occurs to me after reading your posts and seeing my daughter's difficulties that some of you may have heightened or overly sensitive sensory perception in general, not just for selected auditory noises. I hear some of you saying you are averse to noises (auditory sense), watching people's repetitive motor behaviors such as leg shaking or foot tapping (visual sense), smells (olfactory sense), and being touched (touch sense). Are any of you also averse to certain foods (taste sense)? I know my daughter is, and sometimes she is overly sensitive to all the other senses as well. Incidentally, she is a very bright young woman who qualifies as gifted and talented. I have also heard you discussing whether a high IQ is a factor.> > Anyway, I bring this up because I am wondering about the validity of the name " misophonia" if so many other senses seem to be affected. As well, I wonder if anyone knows if the American Psychiatric Association has a position on this. I searched their website but couldn't find anything. I think this may be a good organization to seek help from, because of the negative emotions that arise when you experience these triggers. I welcome any feedback regarding my message.> > Thank you.> > Sent from my iPad>

Guest guest

Not only to sounds, but touch...I cannot stand anything touching my neck. Tags in shirts drive me up a tree! necklaces that are too tight around the neck...AUGH! Sites..some...not as bad as the previous two....smell...oh yah....Very much so. And on the flipside there are sounds that hypnotize me. Some peoples voices have a very soothing effect on me, to the point of hypnotizing. Same with some textures. Even with some colours. It looks as if I become dazed. even smells...But that not as strong as the previously mentioned.

To: Soundsensitivity From: leskitcat@...Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 11:44:24 -0700Subject: Re: Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

Very interesting. After many years of having only the issue with the sounds of eating, I started to also not tolerate the texture of newspapers and all paper in books(and I used to read alot). There are other textures I come across that do the same thing also. I'm sure it is a stem of my original issue with the eating sounds.

To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 1:06 PMSubject: Re: Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

I am also a speech pathologist and my initial thoughts about my son's issues were that it was a sensory integration disorder. However I could not find much as it related to the auditory sensitivities as far as treatment, or better yet, successful treatment. But I would agree it is on the same spectrum. My son is aversive to certain clothes, he's a very picky eater, and he doesn't like the feeling of a certain type of book page/paper. Those are his only other sensory issues I can think of.

Sent on the Sprint Now Network from my BlackBerry

Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 08:54:34 -0700 (PDT)

To: Soundsensitivity <Soundsensitivity >

ReplyTo: Soundsensitivity

It seems that so many people have very similar non-sonic triggers that we may have to reevaluate this condition and eventually give it a new name. There seems to be more going on here

than was originally thought. There is a broad spectrum of sensitivities which I believe are related. This needs to be studied!

Mike

To: "Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity > Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:38 AMSubject: Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

Hi Everyone,I don't have misophonia but my 17 year old daughter does. I have subscribed to your group so that I can get tips and information on how to help her. Also, I am a speech-language pathologist with 25 years of experience with children with developmental disabilities, including autism, and children with sensory issues. It occurs to me after reading your posts and seeing my daughter's difficulties that some of you may have heightened or overly sensitive sensory perception in general, not just for selected auditory noises. I hear some of you saying you are averse to noises (auditory sense), watching people's repetitive motor behaviors such as leg shaking or foot tapping (visual sense), smells (olfactory sense), and being touched (touch sense). Are any of you also averse to certain foods (taste sense)? I know my daughter is, and sometimes she is overly sensitive to all the other senses as well. Incidentally, she is a very bright young woman who qualifies as gifted and talented. I have also heard you discussing whether a high IQ is a factor.Anyway, I bring this up because I am wondering about the validity of the name " misophonia" if so many other senses seem to be affected. As well, I wonder if anyone knows if the American Psychiatric Association has a position on this. I searched their website but couldn't find anything. I think this may be a good organization to seek help from, because of the negative emotions that arise when you experience these triggers. I welcome any feedback regarding my message.Thank you.Sent from my iPad

Guest guest

I have suffered from 4s since about 9 years old and get pretty bothered by certain motions as well. I noticed over the past 2 years that I am becoming more sensitive to touch, which I don't like because I have 5 kids that I love to snuggle up with. I apparently have an IQ in the 135-140 range, but never really cared to explore it until the past couple of years. I guess I was too busy trying NOT to think in my early days. I found a great audiologist in Fort , CO named Dr. who is very interested in helping solve my issues.Dr. currently has me trying TRT. The white noise is nice, but I am not sure it is a long-term solution.Sent from my iPhone

I think you have got it right. Because I am not only sensitive to noises but all of the rest of the senses as well. Need to invent one of those sensitive toothpastes for not just teeth!

To: Soundsensitivity From: peachoid12@...Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:54:49 +0000Subject: Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

, the American Psychiatric Assn refers inquires about miso to the Sensory Processing Disorder Foundation at sinetwork.org.>> Hi Everyone,> I don't have misophonia but my 17 year old daughter does. I have subscribed to your group so that I can get tips and information on how to help her. Also, I am a speech-language pathologist with 25 years of experience with children with developmental disabilities, including autism, and children with sensory issues. > It occurs to me after reading your posts and seeing my daughter's difficulties that some of you may have heightened or overly sensitive sensory perception in general, not just for selected auditory noises. I hear some of you saying you are averse to noises (auditory sense), watching people's repetitive motor behaviors such as leg shaking or foot tapping (visual sense), smells (olfactory sense), and being touched (touch sense). Are any of you also averse to certain foods (taste sense)? I know my daughter is, and sometimes she is overly sensitive to all the other senses as well. Incidentally, she is a very bright young woman who qualifies as gifted and talented. I have also heard you discussing whether a high IQ is a factor.> > Anyway, I bring this up because I am wondering about the validity of the name " misophonia" if so many other senses seem to be affected. As well, I wonder if anyone knows if the American Psychiatric Association has a position on this. I searched their website but couldn't find anything. I think this may be a good organization to seek help from, because of the negative emotions that arise when you experience these triggers. I welcome any feedback regarding my message.> > Thank you.> > Sent from my iPad>

=

Guest guest

I'm leaning towards it being something with how our brain processes

our senses. It's like we get overloaded and our senses go into the

"distortion" range which is uncomfortable, painful and disruptive to

deal with. This isn't just with sound, but many of our other senses.

"Misophonia" is a hatred of sound, aka decreased sound tolerance.

I for one don't "hate" sounds, I find many to be pleasant. But, I do

have a hard time dealing with many everyday "normal" sounds, as well

as higher pitched sounds/voices, and that is a decrease in sound

tolerance. "Misophonia" + "4S" + "Sound Sensitivity" are steps, but

they don't completely describe the condition many of us have.

They're more a description of one of our symptoms (sound) and not

the cause.

I agree and recommend seeing a therapist, especially if you are

spiraling into depression over this condition. The trained

physiologist I saw helped me with the "negative emotions" I felt. To

find ways to reduce my anxiety and better know and stick up for my

boundaries. It helped reduce some of the stress.

-Randall

This message is intended solely for

the use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed,

and contains information that is private, privileged,

confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable state

and federal laws. If you are not the addressee, or are not

authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby

notified that you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose to

anyone this message or the information contained herein. If you

have received this message in error, immediately advise the

sender by reply email and destroy this message.

Hi Everyone,

I don't have misophonia but my 17 year old daughter does.

I have subscribed to your group so that I can get tips and

information on how to help her. Also, I am a

speech-language pathologist with 25 years of experience

with children with developmental disabilities, including

autism, and children with sensory issues.

It occurs to me after reading your posts and seeing my

daughter's difficulties that some of you may have

heightened or overly sensitive sensory perception in

general, not just for selected auditory noises. I hear

some of you saying you are averse to noises (auditory

sense), watching people's repetitive motor behaviors such

as leg shaking or foot tapping (visual sense), smells

(olfactory sense), and being touched (touch sense). Are

any of you also averse to certain foods (taste sense)? I

know my daughter is, and sometimes she is overly sensitive

to all the other senses as well. Incidentally, she is a

very bright young woman who qualifies as gifted and

talented. I have also heard you discussing whether a high

IQ is a factor.

Anyway, I bring this up because I am wondering about the

validity of the name " misophonia" if so many other senses

seem to be affected. As well, I wonder if anyone knows if

the American Psychiatric Association has a position on

this. I searched their website but couldn't find anything.

I think this may be a good organization to seek help from,

because of the negative emotions that arise when you

experience these triggers. I welcome any feedback

regarding my message.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad

Guest guest

I dislike a certain (common)category of clothes too, and will never wear them. I

have felt this way since I was a child. I really hope that's not connected to

sound sensitivity as several years ago one of my sisters mentioned her 5 yo son

having the same aversion. He seems to have accepted wearing his school uniform

(which fell into the disliked category) but I never see any of her children

wearing those clothes outside of school, whereas my other sisters and their

children do all the time.

Liesa

> My son is aversive to certain clothes, he's a very picky eater, and he doesn't

like the feeling of a certain type of book page/paper. Those are his only other

sensory issues I can think of.

> Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Guest guest

I too have trouble tolerating the feel or sound of touching a paper bag, newspaper, book pages, any kind of rubbing on paper. To: "Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity > Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 2:44 PM Subject: Re: Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

Very interesting. After many years of having only the issue with the sounds of eating, I started to also not tolerate the texture of newspapers and all paper in books(and I used to read alot). There are other textures I come across that do the same thing also. I'm sure it is a stem of my original issue with the eating sounds. To: Soundsensitivity Sent:

Saturday, April 21, 2012 1:06 PM Subject: Re: Re: Sensitivity to Touch?

I am also a speech pathologist and my initial thoughts about my son's issues were that it was a sensory integration disorder. However I could not find much as it related to the auditory sensitivities as far as treatment, or better yet, successful treatment. But I would agree it is on the same spectrum. My son is aversive to certain clothes, he's a very picky eater, and he doesn't like the feeling of a certain type of book page/paper. Those are his only other sensory issues I can think of. Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 08:54:34 -0700 (PDT)To: Soundsensitivity <Soundsensitivity >ReplyTo: Soundsensitivity

Hi Everyone,

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad

Guest guest

Agree with all of that. There is no position because it is newly recognized by audiologist, and scientific studies have yet to be completed by anyone. I am hoping the study at UCSD neurology department will conclude their study (which just began) and then THEY can take a position on it as I really don't think it will turn out to belong in the Psychiatric field, just my opinion. But yes the term misophonia hardly covers the disorder and my guess is once it's figured out it'll be renamed to a more appropriate name.HeidiPS I have all these sensitivities, including tastes, always thought I should have been a sommelier, and touch but it is limited to types of materials not people, love people touch.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad

Guest guest

Hi Heidi, could you say what you mean about study at USCD "just began", did something happen beyond initial interviews? Thanks. I am hoping the study at UCSD neurology department will conclude their study (which just

began) and then THEY can take a position on it as I really don't think it will turn out to belong in the Psychiatric field, just my opinion. But yes the term misophonia hardly covers the disorder and my guess is once it's figured out it'll be renamed to a more appropriate name.HeidiPS I have all these sensitivities, including tastes, always thought I should have been a sommelier, and touch but it is limited to types of materials not people, love people touch.

Guest guest

No bit the interviews were suppose to be the start of the study. Sent from my iPhone

Hi Heidi, could you say what you mean about study at USCD "just began", did something happen beyond initial interviews? Thanks. I am hoping the study at UCSD neurology department will conclude their study (which just

began) and then THEY can take a position on it as I really don't think it will turn out to belong in the Psychiatric field, just my opinion. But yes the term misophonia hardly covers the disorder and my guess is once it's figured out it'll be renamed to a more appropriate name.HeidiPS I have all these sensitivities, including tastes, always thought I should have been a sommelier, and touch but it is limited to types of materials not people, love people touch.

Guest guest

I've been reading with interest all of the comments about other sensitivities,

such as touch, taste, and smell that are being experienced. I've always thought

that my misophonia was part of my SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder...aka Sensory

Integration Disorder, which is the older term) and hearing everyone's responses

has confirmed that for me personally.

Although sound issues are the worst for me, I also have issues with light

touches, sudden touches that I'm not prepared for, clothing tags, certain food

textures (ex. tomatoes, mushrooms, onions), and overpowering odors. With SPD,

people's issues differ and vary in intensity with regard to each of the senses.

But for me, the misophonia fits right in with my sound issues.

As a side note, I really get annoyed when I read that some health professional

(doctor or otherwise) slaps a different label on it, like OCD, or says it's just

psychological...and they act like they know what they're talking about. It's

neurological not psychological and I don't have OCD! And therapy only helps

people cope with it.

Oh, and another thing with regards to touch... I absolutely cannot wear earbuds!

The feeling of them drives me nuts and I have to rip them out within seconds.

Headphones are better but even those would have to be off in a short amount of

time. So I really do envy those of you who can rely on either of those for

coping with sound!

Vicki

>

> Hi everyone -

>

>

>

>

>