RemedySpot.com

Soft sounds that cause physical pain?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello 4s group!I am a new member and I"m writing for my 14 year son who is in a treatment center for boys with learning differences and secondary drug abuse issues. My son was diagnosed with ADHD, and Non-Verbal Learning disorder. But he says the most difficult thing is his 4s. It started when he was 10, and it seems to be getting worse. All the typical soft sounds, along with plastic wrappers (Yikes) He is wondering if there is anyone out there who has this so severely that these soft sounds actually hurt their ears, like physical pain, and headaches after a sound.... He, like many of you, thinks that he is the only one on the planet that has it THIS BAD. Please, please, we would really appreciate feedback from anyone who experiences this aspect of misophonia/4s. He says if it continues to get worse, he may kill himself by the time he is sixteen.I'm grateful, Ann.

Guest guest

Yes... certain sounds annoy me. Certain sounds cause pain in my ears (the ENT says that is hyperacusis, not misophonia) and certain counts send my feet into muscle spasms.

---------------------------------------------------------

♥

" Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before. " -Holley Gerth ♥

Follow my story: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahmaeWish Upon A Hero Cafe Moderator and Fee's Assistant

Hello 4s group!I am a new member and I " m writing for my 14 year son who is in a treatment center for boys with learning differences and secondary drug abuse issues. 

My son was diagnosed with ADHD, and Non-Verbal Learning disorder.  But he says the most difficult thing is his 4s.  It started when he was 10, and it seems to be getting worse.  All the typical soft sounds, along with plastic wrappers (Yikes)  He is wondering if there is anyone out there who has this so severely that these soft sounds actually hurt their ears, like physical pain, and headaches after a sound.... He, like many of you, thinks that he is the only one on the planet that has it THIS BAD.  Please, please, we would really appreciate feedback from anyone who experiences this aspect of misophonia/4s. 

He says if it continues to get worse, he may kill himself by the time he is sixteen.

I'm grateful, Ann

Guest guest

Oh thank you for responding. I'm curious; what sounds exactly hurt your ears? Do you ever get headaches from it?Interesting about the foot spasms, wow, I'm so sorry.

Yes... certain sounds annoy me. Certain sounds cause pain in my ears (the ENT says that is hyperacusis, not misophonia) and certain counts send my feet into muscle spasms.

♥

"Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

Follow my story: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahmaeWish Upon A Hero Cafe Moderator and Fee's Assistant

Hello 4s group!I am a new member and I"m writing for my 14 year son who is in a treatment center for boys with learning differences and secondary drug abuse issues.

My son was diagnosed with ADHD, and Non-Verbal Learning disorder. But he says the most difficult thing is his 4s. It started when he was 10, and it seems to be getting worse. All the typical soft sounds, along with plastic wrappers (Yikes) He is wondering if there is anyone out there who has this so severely that these soft sounds actually hurt their ears, like physical pain, and headaches after a sound.... He, like many of you, thinks that he is the only one on the planet that has it THIS BAD. Please, please, we would really appreciate feedback from anyone who experiences this aspect of misophonia/4s.

He says if it continues to get worse, he may kill himself by the time he is sixteen.

I'm grateful, Ann

Guest guest

There are a large number of sounds that hurt my ears. Oddly enough, it is sounds that should be quiet, but scream at me.  Coughing, whistling, floors squeaking, cards (playing cards) or glasses hitting the table, clapping, and so many more! Just tons of every day normal sounds that are so amplified to me.

I have had headaches nonstop for several years now... it's hard to tell what causes them since I have 10 chronic conditions, but I do know that when I am around a lot of noises like the above my headache does get worse.

It's so frustrating!---------------------------------------------------------

♥

" Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before. " -Holley Gerth ♥

Oh thank you for responding.  I'm curious; what sounds exactly hurt your ears? Do you ever get headaches from it?Interesting about the foot spasms, wow, I'm so sorry.

♥

Hello 4s group!I am a new member and I " m writing for my 14 year son who is in a treatment center for boys with learning differences and secondary drug abuse issues. 

My son was diagnosed with ADHD, and Non-Verbal Learning disorder.  But he says the most difficult thing is his 4s.  It started when he was 10, and it seems to be getting worse.  All the typical soft sounds, along with plastic wrappers (Yikes)  He is wondering if there is anyone out there who has this so severely that these soft sounds actually hurt their ears, like physical pain, and headaches after a sound.... He, like many of you, thinks that he is the only one on the planet that has it THIS BAD.  Please, please, we would really appreciate feedback from anyone who experiences this aspect of misophonia/4s. 

I'm grateful, Ann

Guest guest

Hi Ann,

I have ADHD and SPD (with Misophonia). I'm glad you brought up the specific

question about soft sounds because what struck a chord was when you mentioned

headaches. I hadn't thought to put attention on that before. At least not

enough to note any connections beyond the one that I'd noticed in the past.

Strangely enough, the singing and music of Sade gives me a headache. This just

seemed random to me until you mentioned soft sounds and headaches. I wonder if

pain and/or headaches happen because some sounds come through on a certain

frequency that we're sensitive to. Basically the same idea as when people feel

pain from hearing dog whistles. So, sometimes it's not only the sound itself,

but the frequency it's on. Interesting...

I can sympathize with your son and really feel for him. It makes daily life so

difficult. You sound like such a good mom for trying to help him and not

dismissing it. I hope you find something that will help him cope with this.

I'm still looking, too.

Vicki B.

>

> Hello 4s group!

>

> I am a new member and I " m writing for my 14 year son who is in a treatment

center for boys with learning differences and secondary drug abuse issues.

> My son was diagnosed with ADHD, and Non-Verbal Learning disorder. But he says

the most difficult thing is his 4s. It started when he was 10, and it seems to

be getting worse. All the typical soft sounds, along with plastic wrappers

(Yikes) He is wondering if there is anyone out there who has this so severely

that these soft sounds actually hurt their ears, like physical pain, and

headaches after a sound.... He, like many of you, thinks that he is the only one

on the planet that has it THIS BAD. Please, please, we would really appreciate

feedback from anyone who experiences this aspect of misophonia/4s.

>

> He says if it continues to get worse, he may kill himself by the time he is

sixteen.

>

> I'm grateful,

>

> Ann

>

> .

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks ,My son has constant headaches too; he thought he was the only one! He will I think feel validated and relieved when he gets this news.Soft sounds hurt his ears too; the usual ones, also anything made of plastic crinkling. Paper too. The sound of my Ss, lately the sound of his own breath, especially a nose whistle.MA

There are a large number of sounds that hurt my ears. Oddly enough, it is sounds that should be quiet, but scream at me. Coughing, whistling, floors squeaking, cards (playing cards) or glasses hitting the table, clapping, and so many more! Just tons of every day normal sounds that are so amplified to me.

I have had headaches nonstop for several years now... it's hard to tell what causes them since I have 10 chronic conditions, but I do know that when I am around a lot of noises like the above my headache does get worse.

♥

"Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

Oh thank you for responding. I'm curious; what sounds exactly hurt your ears? Do you ever get headaches from it?Interesting about the foot spasms, wow, I'm so sorry.

♥

Hello 4s group!I am a new member and I"m writing for my 14 year son who is in a treatment center for boys with learning differences and secondary drug abuse issues.

My son was diagnosed with ADHD, and Non-Verbal Learning disorder. But he says the most difficult thing is his 4s. It started when he was 10, and it seems to be getting worse. All the typical soft sounds, along with plastic wrappers (Yikes) He is wondering if there is anyone out there who has this so severely that these soft sounds actually hurt their ears, like physical pain, and headaches after a sound.... He, like many of you, thinks that he is the only one on the planet that has it THIS BAD. Please, please, we would really appreciate feedback from anyone who experiences this aspect of misophonia/4s.

I'm grateful, Ann

Guest guest

When my son was little he told me he could hear like a dog... Thanks Vicki, and thanks to Marsha !

Hi Ann,

I have ADHD and SPD (with Misophonia). I'm glad you brought up the specific question about soft sounds because what struck a chord was when you mentioned headaches. I hadn't thought to put attention on that before. At least not enough to note any connections beyond the one that I'd noticed in the past. Strangely enough, the singing and music of Sade gives me a headache. This just seemed random to me until you mentioned soft sounds and headaches. I wonder if pain and/or headaches happen because some sounds come through on a certain frequency that we're sensitive to. Basically the same idea as when people feel pain from hearing dog whistles. So, sometimes it's not only the sound itself, but the frequency it's on. Interesting...

I can sympathize with your son and really feel for him. It makes daily life so difficult. You sound like such a good mom for trying to help him and not dismissing it. I hope you find something that will help him cope with this. I'm still looking, too.

Vicki B.

>

> Hello 4s group!

>

> I am a new member and I"m writing for my 14 year son who is in a treatment center for boys with learning differences and secondary drug abuse issues.

> My son was diagnosed with ADHD, and Non-Verbal Learning disorder. But he says the most difficult thing is his 4s. It started when he was 10, and it seems to be getting worse. All the typical soft sounds, along with plastic wrappers (Yikes) He is wondering if there is anyone out there who has this so severely that these soft sounds actually hurt their ears, like physical pain, and headaches after a sound.... He, like many of you, thinks that he is the only one on the planet that has it THIS BAD. Please, please, we would really appreciate feedback from anyone who experiences this aspect of misophonia/4s.

>

> He says if it continues to get worse, he may kill himself by the time he is sixteen.

>

> I'm grateful,

>

> Ann

>

> .

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Yes. all those things too! Except my breathing doesn't bother me, but other people's does.Typing noises, flip flop noises, things like that...

♥

Thanks ,My son has constant headaches too; he thought he was the only one!  He will I think feel validated and relieved when he gets this news.Soft sounds hurt his ears too; the usual ones, also anything made of plastic crinkling.  Paper too.  The sound of my Ss, lately the sound of his own breath, especially a nose whistle.

MA

There are a large number of sounds that hurt my ears. Oddly enough, it is sounds that should be quiet, but scream at me.  Coughing, whistling, floors squeaking, cards (playing cards) or glasses hitting the table, clapping, and so many more! Just tons of every day normal sounds that are so amplified to me.

♥

Oh thank you for responding.  I'm curious; what sounds exactly hurt your ears? Do you ever get headaches from it?Interesting about the foot spasms, wow, I'm so sorry.

♥

I'm grateful, Ann

Guest guest

When I was a kid I used to joke that I could hear a pin drop in a crowded room.

My mom called me " Big Ears " whenever I'd respond to something from the other

side of the house that no one else could hear. Your son sounds like a kindred

spirit!

Vicki

> > >

> > > Hello 4s group!

> > >

> > > I am a new member and I " m writing for my 14 year son who is in a treatment

center for boys with learning differences and secondary drug abuse issues.

> > > My son was diagnosed with ADHD, and Non-Verbal Learning disorder. But he

says the most difficult thing is his 4s. It started when he was 10, and it seems

to be getting worse. All the typical soft sounds, along with plastic wrappers

(Yikes) He is wondering if there is anyone out there who has this so severely

that these soft sounds actually hurt their ears, like physical pain, and

headaches after a sound.... He, like many of you, thinks that he is the only one

on the planet that has it THIS BAD. Please, please, we would really appreciate

feedback from anyone who experiences this aspect of misophonia/4s.

> > >

> > > He says if it continues to get worse, he may kill himself by the time he

is sixteen.

> > >

> > > I'm grateful,

> > >

> > > Ann

> > >

> > > .

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

My mom will be in her bedroom with her door shut (all the way across the house) and I can hear her eating chips or other crunchy things. I can also hear a spoon clanking against a bowl.

I'm also very sensitive to sounds and touch and can smell lotion or nuts (the smell makes me sick to my stomach) all the way across the house.---------------------------------------------------------

♥

When I was a kid I used to joke that I could hear a pin drop in a crowded room. My mom called me " Big Ears " whenever I'd respond to something from the other side of the house that no one else could hear. Your son sounds like a kindred spirit!

Vicki

> > >

> > > Hello 4s group!

> > >

> > > I am a new member and I " m writing for my 14 year son who is in a treatment center for boys with learning differences and secondary drug abuse issues.

> > > My son was diagnosed with ADHD, and Non-Verbal Learning disorder. But he says the most difficult thing is his 4s. It started when he was 10, and it seems to be getting worse. All the typical soft sounds, along with plastic wrappers (Yikes) He is wondering if there is anyone out there who has this so severely that these soft sounds actually hurt their ears, like physical pain, and headaches after a sound.... He, like many of you, thinks that he is the only one on the planet that has it THIS BAD. Please, please, we would really appreciate feedback from anyone who experiences this aspect of misophonia/4s.

> > >

> > > He says if it continues to get worse, he may kill himself by the time he is sixteen.

> > >

> > > I'm grateful,

> > >

> > > Ann

> > >

> > > .

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I am so glad you are there for your kids and have knowledge of this. My only positive note I can give is that I am 54 and with age comes some hearing loss. With that, I don't hear everything I used to, but I still hear a lot and the visual downfalls of this condition are still there and cause havoc in my family still.Unlike you, my family abandoned me. I always felt like the outcast and high-strung child who would get upset for no reason and fly off the handle. I was a good student and overall nice person, but hated being at home. I did not know why this would happen. I knew of some of the problems, especially with eating and gum. But until I read about this 6 months ago, I didn't realize I was different in so many ways. That even the visual triggers that will cause me to leave the room, for fear of getting snapped

at, once again, for telling whoever to stop, is upsetting to me. Many Many Many arguments have come about starting with something that unknowingly triggered me. Yes, suicidal thought have effected me all my life. I never knew why I felt so different and unsociable. There could be more to why, but, definitely, misophinia plays a big part in this. I only wish the family I grew up with could understand but I really don't think they care to.Gerry