RemedySpot.com

Re: Therapeutic Listening

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi,I've completed 15 sessions of listening therapy called the Tomatis-Effect Method. I'm currently in a 6 week 'down' period, after which I will do 8 more sessions, then continue as needed. The therapist, Liliana Sacarin is using me as part of a research project to determine if this will help. She has had success with others with sound issues but none termed 'misophonia'. We are located in Seattle.I can tell you that I don't seem to react to my low level triggers at this point. I can also say that my reaction to my big triggers is less intense and the rage seems to roll off of me within moments. I'm 54 and have had this so long that I hesitate to get my hopes up yet. Right now, as I'm typing this, an ambulance is going by, one of my triggers, and the effect it is having is minimal. I'm sitting here with my window open, not reacting. In the past, I would have run to shut the window in a panic and turned on loud music, swearing at the ambulance the whole time.Prior to this I tried NFB for twenty session and while it helped with depression and anxiety, it did not help with the sounds. I realize that is a small amount of sessions.You can research the Tomatis-Effect method on line to learn how it works with the brain and the changes it makes. Meri

Hi Everyone,

I've been a member of this group for a while but never posted anything. I'm wondering if anyone has tried Therapeutic Listening to treat our condition. We've just started it with my son, who is autistic (and sensitive to a number of sounds), and I wonder if it could help me, too. Any comments would be appreciated.

Also, well I was so happy to see the segment on 20/20! I've lost touch with this group, as my energy has been directed toward helping my son, so it came as a surprise. Maybe it will lead to more research funding!

Laurel

Guest guest

Hi Meri,

Thank you so much for posting your experience. That sounds very promising, and

it's great to hear of someone actually studying it for misophonia. I'm 45, and

I've had it since I was in my early teens. I'd be thrilled if my reactions were

less intense (and so would my husband!).

The listening programme my son is doing is based on the work of Guy Berard

(auditory integration training), who studied under Tomatis. It was further

adapted by Sheila Frick, an O.T. from Wisconsin (I think). This is our 3rd week,

and we've seen changes both good and bad. We were told to expect some of the bad

changes, so we're not too worried right now. Did you have any negative side

effects in the beginning? How frequent are your sessions?

Thanks again for posting.

Kind regards,

Laurel

>

> > Hi Everyone,

> >

> > I've been a member of this group for a while but never posted anything. I'm

wondering if anyone has tried Therapeutic Listening to treat our condition.

We've just started it with my son, who is autistic (and sensitive to a number of

sounds), and I wonder if it could help me, too. Any comments would be

appreciated.

> >

> > Also, well I was so happy to see the segment on 20/20! I've lost touch with

this group, as my energy has been directed toward helping my son, so it came as

a surprise. Maybe it will lead to more research funding!

> >

> > Laurel

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi Laurel,I had 3 sessions a week for 5 weeks to start. I was a little head achy at times but nothing serious. Liliana Sacarin studied under Tomatis as well. Best of luck!MeriSent from my iPhone

Hi Meri,

Thank you so much for posting your experience. That sounds very promising, and it's great to hear of someone actually studying it for misophonia. I'm 45, and I've had it since I was in my early teens. I'd be thrilled if my reactions were less intense (and so would my husband!).

The listening programme my son is doing is based on the work of Guy Berard (auditory integration training), who studied under Tomatis. It was further adapted by Sheila Frick, an O.T. from Wisconsin (I think). This is our 3rd week, and we've seen changes both good and bad. We were told to expect some of the bad changes, so we're not too worried right now. Did you have any negative side effects in the beginning? How frequent are your sessions?

Thanks again for posting.

Kind regards,

Laurel

>

> > Hi Everyone,

> >

> > I've been a member of this group for a while but never posted anything. I'm wondering if anyone has tried Therapeutic Listening to treat our condition. We've just started it with my son, who is autistic (and sensitive to a number of sounds), and I wonder if it could help me, too. Any comments would be appreciated.

> >

> > Also, well I was so happy to see the segment on 20/20! I've lost touch with this group, as my energy has been directed toward helping my son, so it came as a surprise. Maybe it will lead to more research funding!

> >

> > Laurel

> >

> >

>