RemedySpot.com

RE: So glad to have found this group!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi N, There are actually a lot of people here who have said it’s not getting better or is even getting worse, which of course is discouraging, so you’re not alone in that, but at least now many more people and professionals are becoming aware of this “disability” (thanks to the efforts of many here) and this gives us more hope that a cure, or at least better coping methods will be researched and found. Your descriptions sound similar to many others I’ve read. There is a lot of advice on coping among the various topics/threads here, as well as links to other sources, so if you get some time to go through these, you will find many ideas and information. Hang in there! From: Soundsensitivity [mailto:Soundsensitivity ] On Behalf Of nemcat1234Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:32 AMTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: So glad to have found this group! I thought maybe I was going crazy! I have mentioned this to Dr.'s but they always just give me a blank look. I would have thought someone somewhere could relate but never had any luck until an article in Reader's Digest...eureka! So glad I read about it and found out what the heck is going on with me after all of these years.My earliest memory is that I could not stand the sound of babies crying. Then eating noises, snoring, and some loud noises really irritated the heck out of me. I am 52 now and it has not diminished for me at all. In fact it's worse if anything. The things that bother me: eating sounds, coughing, clearing throats, people who talk so softly I can hardly hear them, people who say certain words and it sounds like a lot of saliva in the mouth when they say them (shivers go up my spine, ick!), loud noises like motorcycles & big trucks, babies crying, kids screaming, and more things that aren't coming to me at this moment. I often have to just get up and walk away from the table because I can't take it any more. I can't stand it when I am reading or watching a movie and someone tries to talk to me. Drives me absolutely bonkers, but that might not be a hearing thing, it may just be I can't concentrate on two things at once.I use a air machine at night that sounds like a fan to help down out noises so I can sleep. I have a fan on at work but it does not help very much because I am in a cubicle surrounded by sales people who are on the telephone all day and several of them are very loud. I am mentally exhausted after a day of listening to that. I am a caregiver for my elderly mother and she coughs almost constantly and talks very softly and never seems to be quiet. I love her very much but sometimes I just have to get up and leave the room before I start screaming and pulling my hair out. I have not tired ear plugs because I need to be able to hear at work. I did try them at home with my snoring husband but I could hear his snoring though them so I moved to a different bedroom that helped a lot. I remember my dad's snoring drove me to distraction when I was young.... that has never changed. It still drives me insane to hear it.I hope that more can be discovered about this, and new treatments or even a cure can be found. I know I have read it seems to get better with age, but I have not experienced that to be true. Mine is very acute and does not seem to be getting any better at all so far. Tips and advice are welcome!Thanks!N