RemedySpot.com

RE: Re: young people with misophonia-

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I support in this disagreement. Nobody is suggesting that is a horrible person, just that comments like hers help perpetuate the quieter racism that is extremely easy for white people to deny - but that is absolutely real. I think you need to finish your major first, and then possibly a graduate degree or PhD, before making grandiose statements about someone's racism. Yes, none of us should be using race as a description when it's not relevant, but since it is a very common thing to do we should not be jumping all over someone with accusations. One statement does not denote racism. I've probably said things like "yeah, some Asian guy...", yet to call me racist against Asians would be a bit ridiculous considering my ex-husband (and the father of my children) is not only half-Korean, but looks totally Asian, and never mind has said stuff like that himself. I've also lived in two Asian countries, have a full-Korean mother-in-law, and have Asian friends from multiple countries. I think it's more important to be tolerant and know people before we judge them. **** > > > > **** > > > > > > > > So tell me something, . If the student sitting behind you in junior > > high had been white, would you have said, "this white girl sat behind me > > chewing gum very loudly and it made it hard to concentrate"? I don't > > believe you would have. Please leave your racist tendencies out of the > > conversation, as it is irrelevant to the Misophonia experience. - > > Hollowell > > > > Alright alright, back off . We don't know anything about whether or > > not is racist. You are right, this is not the place to be talking > > about racism in general; that means not immediately branding someone as > > having "racist tendencies" based on how you interpreted a basically > > innocent statement. If there were an Asian guy behind me being obnoxiously > > loud on a phone, I might mention the fact that he was Asian because it > > stood out to me if I'm looking back into a memory and telling you about it, > > not because I have something against Asians (in fact, I've always been > > interested in the culture). **** > > > > ** ** > > > > **** > > > > > > >

Guest guest

The other day my Scandinavian family and I invited some Polish friends out to dinner. We went to a restaurant full of Namibian, Irish, Korean, and Australian people. Our waiter was a nice Mexican. A water main broke and the place flooded!! We all rushed out into the parking lot to escape the water. What a memorable night!What does ethnicity have to do with my story?

I think you need to finish your major first, and then possibly a graduate degree or PhD, before making grandiose statements about someone's racism.

Yes, none of us should be using race as a description when it's not relevant, but since it is a very common thing to do we should not be jumping all over someone with accusations. One statement does not denote racism.

I've probably said things like "yeah, some Asian guy...", yet to call me racist against Asians would be a bit ridiculous considering my ex-husband (and the father of my children) is not only half-Korean, but looks totally Asian, and never mind has said stuff like that himself. I've also lived in two Asian countries, have a full-Korean mother-in-law, and have Asian friends from multiple countries.

I think it's more important to be tolerant and know people before we judge them.

> >

> > ****

> >

> >

> >

> > So tell me something, . If the student sitting behind you in junior

> > high had been white, would you have said, "this white girl sat behind me

> > chewing gum very loudly and it made it hard to concentrate"? I don't

> > believe you would have. Please leave your racist tendencies out of the

> > conversation, as it is irrelevant to the Misophonia experience. -

> > Hollowell

> >

> > Alright alright, back off . We don't know anything about whether or

> > not is racist. You are right, this is not the place to be talking

> > about racism in general; that means not immediately branding someone as

> > having "racist tendencies" based on how you interpreted a basically

> > innocent statement. If there were an Asian guy behind me being obnoxiously

> > loud on a phone, I might mention the fact that he was Asian because it

> > stood out to me if I'm looking back into a memory and telling you about it,

> > not because I have something against Asians (in fact, I've always been

> > interested in the culture). ****

> >

> > ** **

> >

> > ****

> >

> >

> >

>

=

Guest guest

For the record, I am white. I have nothing against other races, in fact my own son is half Thai and Lao. His father left me when I was pregnant but it has me upset with him, not his race. My original post was my first time posting after being a lurker and I felt comfortable with sharing my story. I acknowledge that people of every race do things that trigger me, but would it really make a difference if the girl was white? If she was, I would have clarified otherwise saying she was white with blonde hair and blue eyes. The school I went to was largely populated by African Americans and Hispanics and since I was technically the minority, I was treated unfairly. I still do not consider myself to be racist. I have been severely bullied by white kids as well. To those people overexamining my statement, I was not trying to start an argument. Nobody who knows me in person would identify me as racist. I will no longer post or read any more from this group. I will find help elsewhere.Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone----- Reply message -----To: " Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity >Subject: Re: young people with misophonia-Date: Wed, May 2, 2012 10:58 am The other day my Scandinavian family and I invited some Polish friends out to dinner. We went to a restaurant full of Namibian, Irish, Korean, and Australian people. Our waiter was a nice Mexican. A water main broke and the place flooded!! We all rushed out into the parking lot to escape the water. What a memorable night!What does ethnicity have to do with my story? I think you need to finish your major first, and then possibly a graduate degree or PhD, before making grandiose statements about someone's racism. Yes, none of us should be using race as a description when it's not relevant, but since it is a very common thing to do we should not be jumping all over someone with accusations. One statement does not denote racism. I've probably said things like "yeah, some Asian guy...", yet to call me racist against Asians would be a bit ridiculous considering my ex-husband (and the father of my children) is not only half-Korean, but looks totally Asian, and never mind has said stuff like that himself. I've also lived in two Asian countries, have a full-Korean mother-in-law, and have Asian friends from multiple countries. I think it's more important to be tolerant and know people before we judge them.****> >> > ****> >> >> >> > So tell me something, . If the student sitting behind you in junior> > high had been white, would you have said, "this white girl sat behind me> > chewing gum very loudly and it made it hard to concentrate"? I don't> > believe you would have. Please leave your racist tendencies out of the> > conversation, as it is irrelevant to the Misophonia experience. -> > Hollowell> >> > Alright alright, back off . We don't know anything about whether or> > not is racist. You are right, this is not the place to be talking> > about racism in general; that means not immediately branding someone as> > having "racist tendencies" based on how you interpreted a basically> > innocent statement. If there were an Asian guy behind me being obnoxiously> > loud on a phone, I might mention the fact that he was Asian because it> > stood out to me if I'm looking back into a memory and telling you about it,> > not because I have something against Asians (in fact, I've always been> > interested in the culture). ****> >> > ** **> >> > ****> >> > > >>=

Guest guest

—Please don’t leave over this issue.  I have been in this group for many years and have found a lot of help from it.  It is the original site for information and can be a wonderful resource.  Please keep reading so you can stay abreast of any new breakthroughs.  It is so exciting that misophonia is getting recognition—20/20 is doing a piece on it soon. I’ve been irritated with posters before also.  You just have to realize that we’re bound to have conflict with a few people on a site, but the majority are very supportive. Hope you’ll reconsider. From: Soundsensitivity [mailto:Soundsensitivity ] On Behalf Of rachel_leet1337@...Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 9:01 PMTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: Re: Re: young people with misophonia- For the record, I am white. I have nothing against other races, in fact my own son is half Thai and Lao. His father left me when I was pregnant but it has me upset with him, not his race. My original post was my first time posting after being a lurker and I felt comfortable with sharing my story. I acknowledge that people of every race do things that trigger me, but would it really make a difference if the girl was white? If she was, I would have clarified otherwise saying she was white with blonde hair and blue eyes. The school I went to was largely populated by African Americans and Hispanics and since I was technically the minority, I was treated unfairly. I still do not consider myself to be racist. I have been severely bullied by white kids as well. To those people overexamining my statement, I was not trying to start an argument. Nobody who knows me in person would identify me as racist. I will no longer post or read any more from this group. I will find help elsewhere.Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone----- Reply message -----To: " Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity >Subject: Re: young people with misophonia-Date: Wed, May 2, 2012 10:58 am The other day my Scandinavian family and I invited some Polish friends out to dinner. We went to a restaurant full of Namibian, Irish, Korean, and Australian people. Our waiter was a nice Mexican. A water main broke and the place flooded!! We all rushed out into the parking lot to escape the water. What a memorable night! What does ethnicity have to do with my story? I think you need to finish your major first, and then possibly a graduate degree or PhD, before making grandiose statements about someone's racism. Yes, none of us should be using race as a description when it's not relevant, but since it is a very common thing to do we should not be jumping all over someone with accusations. One statement does not denote racism. I've probably said things like " yeah, some Asian guy... " , yet to call me racist against Asians would be a bit ridiculous considering my ex-husband (and the father of my children) is not only half-Korean, but looks totally Asian, and never mind has said stuff like that himself. I've also lived in two Asian countries, have a full-Korean mother-in-law, and have Asian friends from multiple countries. I think it's more important to be tolerant and know people before we judge them.****> >> > ****> >> >> >> > So tell me something, . If the student sitting behind you in junior> > high had been white, would you have said, " this white girl sat behind me> > chewing gum very loudly and it made it hard to concentrate " ? I don't> > believe you would have. Please leave your racist tendencies out of the> > conversation, as it is irrelevant to the Misophonia experience. -> > Hollowell> >> > Alright alright, back off . We don't know anything about whether or> > not is racist. You are right, this is not the place to be talking> > about racism in general; that means not immediately branding someone as> > having " racist tendencies " based on how you interpreted a basically> > innocent statement. If there were an Asian guy behind me being obnoxiously> > loud on a phone, I might mention the fact that he was Asian because it> > stood out to me if I'm looking back into a memory and telling you about it,> > not because I have something against Asians (in fact, I've always been> > interested in the culture). ****> >> > ** **> >> > ****> >> > > >>=

Guest guest

I'm really sorry this has happened. I agree that no one on this list should have called you a racist. If anyone feels that way, they should send a private email. The purpose of this list is to support us with our 4S. We are here for you if you choose to stay. HeidiSent from my iPhone

For the record, I am white. I have nothing against other races, in fact my own son is half Thai and Lao. His father left me when I was pregnant but it has me upset with him, not his race. My original post was my first time posting after being a lurker and I felt comfortable with sharing my story. I acknowledge that people of every race do things that trigger me, but would it really make a difference if the girl was white? If she was, I would have clarified otherwise saying she was white with blonde hair and blue eyes. The school I went to was largely populated by African Americans and Hispanics and since I was technically the minority, I was treated unfairly. I still do not consider myself to be racist. I have been severely bullied by white kids as well. To those people overexamining my statement, I was not trying to start an argument. Nobody who knows me in person would identify me as racist. I will no longer post or read any more from this group. I will find help elsewhere.Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone----- Reply message -----To: "Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity >Subject: Re: young people with misophonia-Date: Wed, May 2, 2012 10:58 am

The other day my Scandinavian family and I invited some Polish friends out to dinner. We went to a restaurant full of Namibian, Irish, Korean, and Australian people. Our waiter was a nice Mexican. A water main broke and the place flooded!! We all rushed out into the parking lot to escape the water. What a memorable night!What does ethnicity have to do with my story?

I think you need to finish your major first, and then possibly a graduate degree or PhD, before making grandiose statements about someone's racism.

Yes, none of us should be using race as a description when it's not relevant, but since it is a very common thing to do we should not be jumping all over someone with accusations. One statement does not denote racism.

I've probably said things like "yeah, some Asian guy...", yet to call me racist against Asians would be a bit ridiculous considering my ex-husband (and the father of my children) is not only half-Korean, but looks totally Asian, and never mind has said stuff like that himself. I've also lived in two Asian countries, have a full-Korean mother-in-law, and have Asian friends from multiple countries.

I think it's more important to be tolerant and know people before we judge them.

> >

> > ****

> >

> >

> >

> > So tell me something, . If the student sitting behind you in junior

> > high had been white, would you have said, "this white girl sat behind me

> > chewing gum very loudly and it made it hard to concentrate"? I don't

> > believe you would have. Please leave your racist tendencies out of the

> > conversation, as it is irrelevant to the Misophonia experience. -

> > Hollowell

> >

> > Alright alright, back off . We don't know anything about whether or

> > not is racist. You are right, this is not the place to be talking

> > about racism in general; that means not immediately branding someone as

> > having "racist tendencies" based on how you interpreted a basically

> > innocent statement. If there were an Asian guy behind me being obnoxiously

> > loud on a phone, I might mention the fact that he was Asian because it

> > stood out to me if I'm looking back into a memory and telling you about it,

> > not because I have something against Asians (in fact, I've always been

> > interested in the culture). ****

> >

> > ** **

> >

> > ****

> >

> >

> >

>

=

Guest guest

Pleeeeeease don’t go !!  This was a rare occurance here and everyone here can be really helpful and supportive.  It would break my heart if someone like you, who could really benefit from others here (and us from you), missed out on the compassion that most people here could provide for you.  Please forgive us for this “incident†and give it another chance?  Hugs to you!!!Chris/Mom From: Soundsensitivity [mailto:Soundsensitivity ] On Behalf Of rachel_leet1337@...Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 6:01 PMTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: Re: Re: young people with misophonia- For the record, I am white. I have nothing against other races, in fact my own son is half Thai and Lao. His father left me when I was pregnant but it has me upset with him, not his race. My original post was my first time posting after being a lurker and I felt comfortable with sharing my story. I acknowledge that people of every race do things that trigger me, but would it really make a difference if the girl was white? If she was, I would have clarified otherwise saying she was white with blonde hair and blue eyes. The school I went to was largely populated by African Americans and Hispanics and since I was technically the minority, I was treated unfairly. I still do not consider myself to be racist. I have been severely bullied by white kids as well. To those people overexamining my statement, I was not trying to start an argument. Nobody who knows me in person would identify me as racist. I will no longer post or read any more from this group. I will find help elsewhere.Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone----- Reply message -----To: " Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity >Subject: Re: young people with misophonia-Date: Wed, May 2, 2012 10:58 am The other day my Scandinavian family and I invited some Polish friends out to dinner. We went to a restaurant full of Namibian, Irish, Korean, and Australian people. Our waiter was a nice Mexican. A water main broke and the place flooded!! We all rushed out into the parking lot to escape the water. What a memorable night! What does ethnicity have to do with my story? I think you need to finish your major first, and then possibly a graduate degree or PhD, before making grandiose statements about someone's racism. Yes, none of us should be using race as a description when it's not relevant, but since it is a very common thing to do we should not be jumping all over someone with accusations. One statement does not denote racism. I've probably said things like " yeah, some Asian guy... " , yet to call me racist against Asians would be a bit ridiculous considering my ex-husband (and the father of my children) is not only half-Korean, but looks totally Asian, and never mind has said stuff like that himself. I've also lived in two Asian countries, have a full-Korean mother-in-law, and have Asian friends from multiple countries. I think it's more important to be tolerant and know people before we judge them.****> >> > ****> >> >> >> > So tell me something, . If the student sitting behind you in junior> > high had been white, would you have said, " this white girl sat behind me> > chewing gum very loudly and it made it hard to concentrate " ? I don't> > believe you would have. Please leave your racist tendencies out of the> > conversation, as it is irrelevant to the Misophonia experience. -> > Hollowell> >> > Alright alright, back off . We don't know anything about whether or> > not is racist. You are right, this is not the place to be talking> > about racism in general; that means not immediately branding someone as> > having " racist tendencies " based on how you interpreted a basically> > innocent statement. If there were an Asian guy behind me being obnoxiously> > loud on a phone, I might mention the fact that he was Asian because it> > stood out to me if I'm looking back into a memory and telling you about it,> > not because I have something against Asians (in fact, I've always been> > interested in the culture). ****> >> > ** **> >> > ****> >> > > >>=

Guest guest

Alright I won't leave. I was truly scared because of the attacks from a minimal detail in my post. I do feel I'm benefiting from this group so I won't stop.I do have good news though. I was with my fiance last night when we were eating together. I always have background noise on but for some reason even though I could hear him, I wasn't triggered! Now, I also have severe depression and I used to have a bad cutting habit, and I feel the urge to cut when I'm triggered. I haven't actually done it in over 3 years (yay) but I guess in order to satisfy my physiological need for pain, I get piercings. In fact just yesterday I added on my third facial piercing. I feel more at ease now that I have that extreme surge of hormones. I don't know if that's why my fiance's eating didn't trigger me, but this is an expensive habit and I'm running out of things to pierce lol.Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone----- Reply message -----To: <Soundsensitivity >Subject: Re: young people with misophonia-Date: Thu, May 3, 2012 1:45 pm

Pleeeeeease don’t go !!  This was a rare occurance here and everyone here can be really helpful and supportive.  It would break my heart if someone like you, who could really benefit from others here (and us from you), missed out on the compassion that most people here could provide for you.  Please forgive us for this “incident†and give it another chance?  Hugs to you!!!Chris/Mom From: Soundsensitivity [mailto:Soundsensitivity ] On Behalf Of rachel_leet1337@...Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 6:01 PMTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: Re: Re: young people with misophonia- For the record, I am white. I have nothing against other races, in fact my own son is half Thai and Lao. His father left me when I was pregnant but it has me upset with him, not his race. My original post was my first time posting after being a lurker and I felt comfortable with sharing my story. I acknowledge that people of every race do things that trigger me, but would it really make a difference if the girl was white? If she was, I would have clarified otherwise saying she was white with blonde hair and blue eyes. The school I went to was largely populated by African Americans and Hispanics and since I was technically the minority, I was treated unfairly. I still do not consider myself to be racist. I have been severely bullied by white kids as well. To those people overexamining my statement, I was not trying to start an argument. Nobody who knows me in person would identify me as racist. I will no longer post or read any more from this group. I will find help elsewhere.Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone----- Reply message -----To: " Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity >Subject: Re: young people with misophonia-Date: Wed, May 2, 2012 10:58 am The other day my Scandinavian family and I invited some Polish friends out to dinner. We went to a restaurant full of Namibian, Irish, Korean, and Australian people. Our waiter was a nice Mexican. A water main broke and the place flooded!! We all rushed out into the parking lot to escape the water. What a memorable night! What does ethnicity have to do with my story? I think you need to finish your major first, and then possibly a graduate degree or PhD, before making grandiose statements about someone's racism. Yes, none of us should be using race as a description when it's not relevant, but since it is a very common thing to do we should not be jumping all over someone with accusations. One statement does not denote racism. I've probably said things like " yeah, some Asian guy... " , yet to call me racist against Asians would be a bit ridiculous considering my ex-husband (and the father of my children) is not only half-Korean, but looks totally Asian, and never mind has said stuff like that himself. I've also lived in two Asian countries, have a full-Korean mother-in-law, and have Asian friends from multiple countries. I think it's more important to be tolerant and know people before we judge them.****> >> > ****> >> >> >> > So tell me something, . If the student sitting behind you in junior> > high had been white, would you have said, " this white girl sat behind me> > chewing gum very loudly and it made it hard to concentrate " ? I don't> > believe you would have. Please leave your racist tendencies out of the> > conversation, as it is irrelevant to the Misophonia experience. -> > Hollowell> >> > Alright alright, back off . We don't know anything about whether or> > not is racist. You are right, this is not the place to be talking> > about racism in general; that means not immediately branding someone as> > having " racist tendencies " based on how you interpreted a basically> > innocent statement. If there were an Asian guy behind me being obnoxiously> > loud on a phone, I might mention the fact that he was Asian because it> > stood out to me if I'm looking back into a memory and telling you about it,> > not because I have something against Asians (in fact, I've always been> > interested in the culture). ****> >> > ** **> >> > ****> >> > > >>=

Guest guest

thanks for doing this on behalf of the group...

A lot of us subscribe to the group for support. Let's try our best to help each other with compassion, not with more stressors. Everyone who has this condition already suffered so much.

To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:45 AMSubject: RE: Re: young people with misophonia-

Pleeeeeease don’t go !! This was a rare occurance here and everyone here can be really helpful and supportive. It would break my heart if someone like you, who could really benefit from others here (and us from you), missed out on the compassion that most people here could provide for you. Please forgive us for this “incident†and give it another chance? Hugs to you!!!

Chris/Mom

From: Soundsensitivity [mailto:Soundsensitivity ] On Behalf Of rachel_leet1337@...Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 6:01 PMTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: Re: Re: young people with misophonia-

For the record, I am white. I have nothing against other races, in fact my own son is half Thai and Lao. His father left me when I was pregnant but it has me upset with him, not his race. My original post was my first time posting after being a lurker and I felt comfortable with sharing my story. I acknowledge that people of every race do things that trigger me, but would it really make a difference if the girl was white? If she was, I would have clarified otherwise saying she was white with blonde hair and blue eyes. The school I went to was largely populated by African Americans and Hispanics and since I was technically the minority, I was treated unfairly. I still do not consider myself to be racist. I have been severely bullied by white kids as well. To those people overexamining my statement, I was not trying to start an argument. Nobody who knows me in person would identify me as racist. I will no longer post or read any more from this

group. I will find help elsewhere.Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

----- Reply message -----To: "Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity >Subject: Re: young people with misophonia-Date: Wed, May 2, 2012 10:58 am

The other day my Scandinavian family and I invited some Polish friends out to dinner. We went to a restaurant full of Namibian, Irish, Korean, and Australian people. Our waiter was a nice Mexican. A water main broke and the place flooded!! We all rushed out into the parking lot to escape the water. What a memorable night!

What does ethnicity have to do with my story?

I think you need to finish your major first, and then possibly a graduate degree or PhD, before making grandiose statements about someone's racism. Yes, none of us should be using race as a description when it's not relevant, but since it is a very common thing to do we should not be jumping all over someone with accusations. One statement does not denote racism. I've probably said things like "yeah, some Asian guy...", yet to call me racist against Asians would be a bit ridiculous considering my ex-husband (and the father of my children) is not only half-Korean, but looks totally Asian, and never mind has said stuff like that himself. I've also lived in two Asian countries, have a full-Korean mother-in-law, and have Asian friends from multiple countries. I think it's more important to be tolerant and know people before we judge them.****> >> > ****> >> >> >> > So tell me something, . If the student sitting behind you in junior> > high had been white, would you have said, "this white girl sat behind me> > chewing gum very loudly and it made it hard to concentrate"? I don't> > believe you would have. Please leave your racist tendencies out of the> > conversation, as it is irrelevant to

the Misophonia experience. -> > Hollowell> >> > Alright alright, back off . We don't know anything about whether or> > not is racist. You are right, this is not the place to be talking> > about racism in general; that means not immediately branding someone as> > having "racist tendencies" based on how you interpreted a basically> > innocent statement. If there were an Asian guy behind me being obnoxiously> > loud on a phone, I might mention the fact that he was Asian because it> > stood out to me if I'm looking back into a memory and telling you about it,> > not because I have something against Asians (in fact, I've always been> > interested in the culture). ****> >> > ** **> >> > ****> >> > > >>

=