RemedySpot.com

Re: Painting

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Joy

Have yoy considered using oils over acrylics? Gives a nice effect & not as expensive.

Keep well everyone. Theresa

Subject: PaintingTo: "bronchiectasis " <bronchiectasis >Received: Saturday, 22 November, 2008, 9:51 PM

Hi ,What I paint has varied over the years....not sure how I’d describe...! Loved anything with water in all it’s many forms and manifestations. ..especially lovely to use oils, in transparent washes built up in layers. About a decade ago, felt I’d hadn’t painted in years, probably not likely to and foolishly gave away all my oils, brushes, palette knives etc... Oh well, I just hope the person I gave them to used and enjoyed them well.I now use acrylics simply cos starting oils again was too expensive, and now I have a reasonable stock.....guess I’m stuck with them now! I find using flow-medium and retarders give me more the control I was used to with oils. I live a well-ventilated house now, so the fumes aren’t too bad – when I lived in a small flat they’d give me a headache sometimes, but I changed the brand

and found the fumes depend on quality – the cheaper, the worse they are it seems.I’ve tackled some Tibetan tangkha style of Buddha paintings, usually finely detailed, very challenging, also beautiful, and is like a meditation. I found most of the canvas sold is much too coarse, being in a smallish, regional town we’re very limited in suppliers... I have a small plaster relief, a friend gave me to paint for her, it has 8 Buddhas on it with their lotus-seats, stupas and the 8 precious symbols around the border, all very tiny, the whole thing is only 7x8â€. I told her I think she may be over-estimating my skills somewhat! Actually, it’s about time I got back to it, I started on it then end up in hospital – again - in October....now it’s mid-November, and nearly xmas already!!I’ve looked at materials for glass painting, but unless have plenty of room for all the bits and pieces – and as Theresa

mentioned, the paints are fairly expensive... .but would be nice to do. I’m off to go pull my paints out again...thx for asking me about it!joy

Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now.

No. Oil based oils. This was the "in way" to paint when I was studying Fine Arts at uni. I quite liked the effect. I should get back to painting. Watercolours & watercolour pencils are what I fancy at the moment

Keep well everyone. Theresa

Subject: Re: PaintingTo: "bronchiectasis " <bronchiectasis >Received: Thursday, 4 December, 2008, 2:57 AM

mmmm? Would that be water-based oils? I do prefer the finish on oils, but some of the additives for acrylics give some of the subtle sheen of oils.... joy

Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now.