RemedySpot.com

Re: Transcendental Meditation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I saw a news release by the Harvard Medical School, MIT, and MGH: “Meditation may help the brain "turn down the volume" on distractions†They studied “mindfulness meditation†which may be similar to TM.

Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:24 AM

To: Soundsensitivity

Subject: Transcendental Meditation

I am wondering if anyone with misophonia has tried transcendental meditation (gone through the course).Here are a couple of things said about TM from the website www.tm.com.Neural imaging patterns and EEG research show that TM practice produces a unique state of restful alertness, which can be seen in the decreased activity in the thalamus (the area of the brain that relays input to all other parts of the brain) and increased activity in the frontal and parietal cortices (two areas involved in attention).We know from research that over time, the practice of Transcendental Meditation increasingly normalizes—or makes more efficient—that fight-or-flight response.The unique state of restful alertness gained during the Transcendental Meditation technique promotes health by reducing activation of the sympathetic nervous system—which, in turn, dilates the blood vessels and reduces stress hormones,such as adrenaline, noradrenaline, and cortisolThe Transcendental Meditation technique exercises the critical prefrontal cortex of the brain—to make the brain healthier, more integrated, and better able to function together as a whole.Transcendental Meditation helps quiet the `mind chatter.'Anyone could benefit from TM and I am wondering if I should get my son (with misophonia) involved. It sure couldn't hurt. Anne

Guest guest

I have built my own coping techniques and I discovered meditation when I was a

young adult. Albeit developed on my own through attempts to quite a beast I had

little understanding of. I developed a sort of void blank place that I retreat

too subconsciously when I'm triggered. When their I can control my rage a

little better and I don't lash out like I did when I was young. The sounds

still echo through my brain though, but I can get through it without cringing

.... I tense up a little still. The idea is to show as little of a physical

response as I can and I suppose it does help a little. If the person is trying

to have a conversation with you than this is impossible! Than I have to say I

have a headache or something.

>

> I am wondering if anyone with misophonia has tried transcendental meditation

(gone through the course).

>

> Here are a couple of things said about TM from the website www.tm.com.

>

> Neural imaging patterns and EEG research show that TM practice produces a

unique state of restful alertness, which can be seen in the decreased activity

in the thalamus (the area of the brain that relays input to all other parts of

the brain) and increased activity in the frontal and parietal cortices (two

areas involved in attention).

>

> We know from research that over time, the practice of Transcendental

Meditation increasingly normalizes—or makes more efficient—that fight-or-flight

response.

>

> The unique state of restful alertness gained during the Transcendental

Meditation technique promotes health by reducing activation of the sympathetic

nervous system—which, in turn, dilates the blood vessels and reduces stress

hormones,such as adrenaline, noradrenaline, and cortisol

>

> The Transcendental Meditation technique exercises the critical prefrontal

cortex of the brain—to make the brain healthier, more integrated, and better

able to function together as a whole.

>

> Transcendental Meditation helps quiet the `mind chatter.'

>

> Anyone could benefit from TM and I am wondering if I should get my son (with

misophonia) involved. It sure couldn't hurt.

>

> Anne

>

Guest guest

Oops. Here a fixed mindfulness meditation link: Meditation may help the brain "turn down the volume" on distractions

Sorry,

Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:16 AM

Subject: Re: Transcendental Meditation

I saw a news release by the Harvard Medical School, MIT, and MGH: “Meditation may help the brain "turn down the volume" on distractions†They studied “mindfulness meditation†which may be similar to TM.

Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:24 AM

Subject: Transcendental Meditation

I am wondering if anyone with misophonia has tried transcendental meditation (gone through the course).Here are a couple of things said about TM from the website www.tm.com.Neural imaging patterns and EEG research show that TM practice produces a unique state of restful alertness, which can be seen in the decreased activity in the thalamus (the area of the brain that relays input to all other parts of the brain) and increased activity in the frontal and parietal cortices (two areas involved in attention).We know from research that over time, the practice of Transcendental Meditation increasingly normalizes—or makes more efficient—that fight-or-flight response.The unique state of restful alertness gained during the Transcendental Meditation technique promotes health by reducing activation of the sympathetic nervous system—which, in turn, dilates the blood vessels and reduces stress hormones,such as adrenaline, noradrenaline, and cortisolThe Transcendental Meditation technique exercises the critical prefrontal cortex of the brain—to make the brain healthier, more integrated, and better able to function together as a whole.Transcendental Meditation helps quiet the `mind chatter.'Anyone could benefit from TM and I am wondering if I should get my son (with misophonia) involved. It sure couldn't hurt. Anne