RemedySpot.com

Re: Trigger people, relationships

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

For myself, I am more bothered by certain people than others, and definitely notice a change in my reactions with different situations. For instance, when I'm in a staff meeting, a class, or a place where I know I need to concentrate or I feel trapped, (like in a car), I'm much more aware of the sounds, and more bothered by them. I could very easily do just what your son did. When I'm really happy and distracted by a very engaging activity (like possibly a french fry crunching contest), I'm not bothered by the sounds or the visual triggers. I know it doesn't make sense but this is what happens with me- hope it helpsTake care,Audrey To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 7:47 PM Subject: Trigger people, relationships

Still trying to understand my son's miso and have so many questions.

I struggle with the idea that the sound is the problem, even though everyone says they have a visceral reaction to the noise, i keep observing that a sImilar sound from one person is no big deal, but from another person is unbearable.

My son is disturbed by any of us chewing in the car. However he had a French fry crunching contest in the back seat of my car with two of his best friends on Sunday. My jaw nearly hit the floor. I was prepared to wait until we got home to let everyone eat in the yard and my son handed out the fries in the car and wanted to see who had crunchy fries.

Also, if it is sound, then why do visual things like foot shaking cause a reaction?

Thanks for our help. I am really beginning to gain some insight into what is going on with my son.

Anne

Guest guest

Anne,

Regarding your question about visual triggers like foot shaking, your son may

have Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). A few of us in this support group have

it. It involves all of or a few of the senses, whereas Misophonia is

specifically auditory.

You may want to get more information on-line. Here's a couple of sites to start

with.

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/index.html

http://www.spdfoundation.net/

There are also several support groups for SPD on Yahoo.

Colleen

>

> Still trying to understand my son's miso and have so many questions.

>

> I struggle with the idea that the sound is the problem, even though everyone

says they have a visceral reaction to the noise, i keep observing that a sImilar

sound from one person is no big deal, but from another person is unbearable.

>

> My son is disturbed by any of us chewing in the car. However he had a French

fry crunching contest in the back seat of my car with two of his best friends on

Sunday. My jaw nearly hit the floor. I was prepared to wait until we got home

to let everyone eat in the yard and my son handed out the fries in the car and

wanted to see who had crunchy fries.

>

> Also, if it is sound, then why do visual things like foot shaking cause a

reaction?

>

> Thanks for our help. I am really beginning to gain some insight into what is

going on with my son.

>

> Anne

>

Guest guest

Wait what?On the Misophonia info site it specifically mentions triggers that are visual, not auditory. I have visual triggers along with my auditory triggers and though all of it was Misophonia but you suggest otherwise...so now I am conflicted/confused?Subject: Re: Trigger people, relationshipsTo: Soundsensitivity Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 11:43 AM

Anne,

Regarding your question about visual triggers like foot shaking, your son may have Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). A few of us in this support group have it. It involves all of or a few of the senses, whereas Misophonia is specifically auditory.

You may want to get more information on-line. Here's a couple of sites to start with.

Colleen

>

>

> I struggle with the idea that the sound is the problem, even though everyone says they have a visceral reaction to the noise, i keep observing that a sImilar sound from one person is no big deal, but from another person is unbearable.

>

> My son is disturbed by any of us chewing in the car. However he had a French fry crunching contest in the back seat of my car with two of his best friends on Sunday. My jaw nearly hit the floor. I was prepared to wait until we got home to let everyone eat in the yard and my son handed out the fries in the car and wanted to see who had crunchy fries.

>

> Also, if it is sound, then why do visual things like foot shaking cause a reaction?

>

> Thanks for our help. I am really beginning to gain some insight into what is going on with my son.

>

> Anne

>

Guest guest

Anne,I also wanted to say I understand about the "selective" nature of the sounds.I myself can't stand to hear some people sing or whistle..while others will have no effect on me. Any singing on television or radio or anything like that has no effect on me yet when certain people close to me sing, I am set off. Oddly even more is that my father is an Elvis Tribute Artist...when he sings at shows or anywhere in public..I am fine...but if he sings here at work just practicing or just whatever, it bothers me. Very Strange!Subject: Re:

Trigger people, relationshipsTo: Soundsensitivity Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 11:43 AM

Anne,

Regarding your question about visual triggers like foot shaking, your son may have Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). A few of us in this support group have it. It involves all of or a few of the senses, whereas Misophonia is specifically auditory.

You may want to get more information on-line. Here's a couple of sites to start with.

Colleen

>

>

> I struggle with the idea that the sound is the problem, even though everyone says they have a visceral reaction to the noise, i keep observing that a sImilar sound from one person is no big deal, but from another person is unbearable.

>

> My son is disturbed by any of us chewing in the car. However he had a French fry crunching contest in the back seat of my car with two of his best friends on Sunday. My jaw nearly hit the floor. I was prepared to wait until we got home to let everyone eat in the yard and my son handed out the fries in the car and wanted to see who had crunchy fries.

>

> Also, if it is sound, then why do visual things like foot shaking cause a reaction?

>

> Thanks for our help. I am really beginning to gain some insight into what is going on with my son.

>

> Anne

>

Guest guest

That's what I was thinking :) Is there a name that would translate to "Hatred of sound and fidgeting or repetitive motion" ? LOL.

Anne,

Colleen

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Anne

>

Guest guest

I have to disagree, I believe Misophonia is just a bad name for what we have because many of us have visual triggers but do not have SPD as defined. HeidiSent from my iPhoneReal Results. Real science. Age-Defying Skin. www.heidisalerno.nerium.comHappy Dancing!www.jitterbal.comOn Jun 19, 2012, at 9:43 AM, "bikinbones2" wrote:

Anne,

Colleen

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Anne

>

Guest guest

I stand corrected. Maybe I should have said " primarily auditory " rather than

" specifically " . Sorry about the confusion. Nonetheless, Sensory Processing

Disorder includes any or all of the senses to varying degrees. I think there are

multiple names and definitions for sensory disorders, hence the confusion.

Colleen

>

> >

>

> > Still trying to understand my son's miso and have so many questions.

>

> >

>

> > I struggle with the idea that the sound is the problem, even though everyone

says they have a visceral reaction to the noise, i keep observing that a sImilar

>

> >

>

> > My son is disturbed by any of us chewing in the car. However he had a

French fry crunching contest in the back seat of my car with two of his best

friends on Sunday. My jaw nearly hit the floor. I was prepared to wait until

we got home to let everyone eat in the yard and my son handed out the fries in

the car and wanted to see who had crunchy fries.

>

> >

>

> > Also, if it is sound, then why do visual things like foot shaking cause a

reaction?

>

> >

>

> > Thanks for our help. I am really beginning to gain some insight into what

is going on with my son.

>

> >

>

> > Anne

>

> >

>

Guest guest

:)Subject: Re: Trigger people, relationshipsTo: Soundsensitivity Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 1:23 PM

I stand corrected. Maybe I should have said "primarily auditory" rather than "specifically". Sorry about the confusion. Nonetheless, Sensory Processing Disorder includes any or all of the senses to varying degrees. I think there are multiple names and definitions for sensory disorders, hence the confusion.

Colleen

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > I struggle with the idea that the sound is the problem, even though everyone says they have a visceral reaction to the noise, i keep observing that a sImilar sound from one person is no big deal, but from another person is unbearable.

>

> >

>

> > My son is disturbed by any of us chewing in the car. However he had a French fry crunching contest in the back seat of my car with two of his best friends on Sunday. My jaw nearly hit the floor. I was prepared to wait until we got home to let everyone eat in the yard and my son handed out the fries in the car and wanted to see who had crunchy fries.

>

> >

>

> > Also, if it is sound, then why do visual things like foot shaking cause a reaction?

>

> >

>

> > Thanks for our help. I am really beginning to gain some insight into what is going on with my son.

>

> >

>

> > Anne

>

> >

>

Guest guest

Yes, , that's a perfect definition! Fidgeting and repetitive motions

sometimes trigger me just as much as noises. Certain sights like someone with

their hands near their face or picking their fingers are major triggers for me.

It's definitely in the brain and not the ears. I think it could be a cousin of

SPD but certainly not the same thing.

Once there was a thread here of possible names for the syndrome, and someone

suggested " Aggghhh syndrome " . How fitting! LOL

Cate

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > I struggle with the idea that the sound is the problem, even though everyone

>

> >

>

> > My son is disturbed by any of us chewing in the car. However he had a

French fry crunching contest in the back seat of my car with two of his best

friends on Sunday. My jaw nearly hit the floor. I was prepared to wait until

we got home to let everyone eat in the yard and my son handed out the fries in

the car and wanted to see who had crunchy fries.

>

> >

>

> > Also, if it is sound, then why do visual things like foot shaking cause a

reaction?

>

> >

>

> > Thanks for our help. I am really beginning to gain some insight into what

is going on with my son.

>

> >

>

> > Anne

>

> >

>

Guest guest

Fingers near the mouth..that is a HUGE one for me. I always say "biting nails" but really it's hands near mouth at all. One of my daughters, my 10 year old, always puts her hands in her mouth. Biting nails, biting skin, or just plain putting her hands there for no reason..it DRIVES ME INSANE. She is my step daughter and my other two kids don't do it so my wife thinks I just pick on her daughter..but it is just not true..I just can't help it!Subject: Re: Trigger people, relationshipsTo: Soundsensitivity Date: Wednesday,

June 20, 2012, 12:33 PM

Yes, , that's a perfect definition! Fidgeting and repetitive motions sometimes trigger me just as much as noises. Certain sights like someone with their hands near their face or picking their fingers are major triggers for me.

It's definitely in the brain and not the ears. I think it could be a cousin of SPD but certainly not the same thing.

Once there was a thread here of possible names for the syndrome, and someone suggested "Aggghhh syndrome". How fitting! LOL

Cate

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > I struggle with the idea that the sound is the problem, even though everyone says they have a visceral reaction to the noise, i keep observing that a sImilar sound from one person is no big deal, but from another person is unbearable.

>

> >

>

> > My son is disturbed by any of us chewing in the car. However he had a French fry crunching contest in the back seat of my car with two of his best friends on Sunday. My jaw nearly hit the floor. I was prepared to wait until we got home to let everyone eat in the yard and my son handed out the fries in the car and wanted to see who had crunchy fries.

>

> >

>

> > Also, if it is sound, then why do visual things like foot shaking cause a reaction?

>

> >

>

> > Thanks for our help. I am really beginning to gain some insight into what is going on with my son.

>

> >

>

> > Anne

>

> >

>

Guest guest

I, too am 'triggered' by repetitive motion, fidgeting and hard noices such gum popping, doors slamming - anything that has a nervous "energy" behind it. What that means is that I am empathic. I feel into energy fields (auras) & I feel what they feel. B/C I am also a massage therapist, I know instantly where they are hurting in their body without touching them. I am also a Reiki energy healer & teacher, so I understand my triggers and control them by protecting my energy field by intrusion of others' energies. It is a learning process and many people do not 'get' that we are ALL connected.

Sending beautiful vibrations your way.

Kathleen

Yes, , that's a perfect definition! Fidgeting and repetitive motions sometimes trigger me just as much as noises. Certain sights like someone with their hands near their face or picking their fingers are major triggers for me.

It's definitely in the brain and not the ears. I think it could be a cousin of SPD but certainly not the same thing.

Once there was a thread here of possible names for the syndrome, and someone suggested "Aggghhh syndrome". How fitting! LOL

Cate

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > Anne

>

> >

>

Guest guest

You reminded me of the show Touch, do you watch it?Subject: Re: Re: Trigger people, relationshipsTo: Soundsensitivity Date: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 1:44 PM

I, too am 'triggered' by repetitive motion, fidgeting and hard noices such gum popping, doors slamming - anything that has a nervous "energy" behind it. What that means is that I am empathic. I feel into energy fields (auras) & I feel what they feel. B/C I am also a massage therapist, I know instantly where they are hurting in their body without touching them. I am also a Reiki energy healer & teacher, so I understand my triggers and control them by protecting my energy field by intrusion of others' energies. It is a learning process and many people do not 'get' that we are ALL connected.

Sending beautiful vibrations your way.

Kathleen

Cate

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > Anne

>

> >

>

Guest guest

Have not heard of the show "Touch". More info? Channel/time description?

Kathleen

Cate

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > Anne

>

> >

>

Guest guest

I watch it online so I don't even know when it normally comes on. FOX I think. It's about a little boy who doesn't speak but can see numbers in the world and how all things are connected.. Pretty good show...depending on what type shows you like :)http://www.fox.com/touch/--- Subject: Re: Re: Trigger people, relationshipsTo: Soundsensitivity Date: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 2:07 PM

Have not heard of the show "Touch". More info? Channel/time description?

Kathleen

Cate

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > Anne

>

> >

>

Guest guest

This show looks fantastic! I will view it. Thank You so much for sending.

Kathleen

Cate

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > Anne

>

> >

>