Re: Ways to cope? Help / advice :)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

This is a tough situation, but maybe you can find a sympathetic

teacher/counselor and show them the articles about miso. Legally they must

accommodate a student with a disability; your problem is that this is not a

recognized disability and it's also hidden. If you have trouble getting

permission to use your own coping strategies (music, ipod, leaving the room when

necessary, etc), escalate it to the principal, the school board, the state

board of education, threaten to sue the school for disability discrimination --

whatever you need to in order to make yourself heard.

>

> Okay, well I've been struggling with Misophonia since I was 12. I'm going back

to school in 20 something days and I'm terrified. My misophonia has gotten worse

over the summer. It's gotten to the point where I can't go anywhere. If my

family goes out to eat or anything like that, they have to bring me something

home. I also can't be around my friends anymore, because the sound of people

breathing makes me want to bang their face into a wall, honestly. And whenever I

HAVE to go somewhere, I listen to music so I can't hear anything else. But in

school, I can't exactly pull out my iPod and turn on music.. so do any of you

have any advice? Like ways you cope? Anything would be greatly appreciated. If

you need it, my trigger sounds include breathing, chewing of anything, clicking

of laptop keys, swallowing, whispering, also, as visual triggers, people chewing

with their mouths open. Or if I see somebody chewing gum, even with their mouths

closed. But if y'all have anyways of getting along, because I can't really tell

someone to stop breathing.. they really wouldn't understand. But I guess I can I

can leave off by saying thank you to all the people who have joined this group,

because now I know I'm not crazy, this is a real thing that others struggle

with. You can ask me any questions if needed! Thanks! :)

> **Sorry this is SOO long!

>

Guest guest

This is a tough situation, but maybe you can find a sympathetic

teacher/counselor and show them the articles about miso. Legally they must

accommodate a student with a disability; your problem is that this is not a

recognized disability and it's also hidden. If you have trouble getting

permission to use your own coping strategies (music, ipod, leaving the room when

necessary, etc), escalate it to the principal, the school board, the state

board of education, threaten to sue the school for disability discrimination --

whatever you need to in order to make yourself heard.

>

> Okay, well I've been struggling with Misophonia since I was 12. I'm going back

to school in 20 something days and I'm terrified. My misophonia has gotten worse

over the summer. It's gotten to the point where I can't go anywhere. If my

breathing makes me want to bang their face into a wall, honestly. And whenever I

of laptop keys, swallowing, whispering, also, as visual triggers, people chewing

with their mouths open. Or if I see somebody chewing gum, even with their mouths

someone to stop breathing.. they really wouldn't understand. But I guess I can I

>

Guest guest

I agree 100 percent... As a Teacher of Special Education for over 20 years I have seen accommodations made, it's the squeaky wheel. The suggestions given here by going through the system WILL work! Demand what is now called modifications...Sent from my iPad

This is a tough situation, but maybe you can find a sympathetic teacher/counselor and show them the articles about miso. Legally they must accommodate a student with a disability; your problem is that this is not a recognized disability and it's also hidden. If you have trouble getting permission to use your own coping strategies (music, ipod, leaving the room when necessary, etc), escalate it to the principal, the school board, the state board of education, threaten to sue the school for disability discrimination -- whatever you need to in order to make yourself heard.

>

> Okay, well I've been struggling with Misophonia since I was 12. I'm going back to school in 20 something days and I'm terrified. My misophonia has gotten worse over the summer. It's gotten to the point where I can't go anywhere. If my family goes out to eat or anything like that, they have to bring me something home. I also can't be around my friends anymore, because the sound of people breathing makes me want to bang their face into a wall, honestly. And whenever I HAVE to go somewhere, I listen to music so I can't hear anything else. But in school, I can't exactly pull out my iPod and turn on music.. so do any of you have any advice? Like ways you cope? Anything would be greatly appreciated. If you need it, my trigger sounds include breathing, chewing of anything, clicking of laptop keys, swallowing, whispering, also, as visual triggers, people chewing with their mouths open. Or if I see somebody chewing gum, even with their mouths closed. But if y'all have anyways of getting along, because I can't really tell someone to stop breathing.. they really wouldn't understand. But I guess I can I can leave off by saying thank you to all the people who have joined this group, because now I know I'm not crazy, this is a real thing that others struggle with. You can ask me any questions if needed! Thanks! :)

>

=

Guest guest

I agree 100 percent... As a Teacher of Special Education for over 20 years I have seen accommodations made, it's the squeaky wheel. The suggestions given here by going through the system WILL work! Demand what is now called modifications...Sent from my iPad

This is a tough situation, but maybe you can find a sympathetic teacher/counselor and show them the articles about miso. Legally they must accommodate a student with a disability; your problem is that this is not a recognized disability and it's also hidden. If you have trouble getting permission to use your own coping strategies (music, ipod, leaving the room when necessary, etc), escalate it to the principal, the school board, the state board of education, threaten to sue the school for disability discrimination -- whatever you need to in order to make yourself heard.

>

> Okay, well I've been struggling with Misophonia since I was 12. I'm going back to school in 20 something days and I'm terrified. My misophonia has gotten worse over the summer. It's gotten to the point where I can't go anywhere. If my family goes out to eat or anything like that, they have to bring me something home. I also can't be around my friends anymore, because the sound of people breathing makes me want to bang their face into a wall, honestly. And whenever I HAVE to go somewhere, I listen to music so I can't hear anything else. But in school, I can't exactly pull out my iPod and turn on music.. so do any of you have any advice? Like ways you cope? Anything would be greatly appreciated. If you need it, my trigger sounds include breathing, chewing of anything, clicking of laptop keys, swallowing, whispering, also, as visual triggers, people chewing with their mouths open. Or if I see somebody chewing gum, even with their mouths closed. But if y'all have anyways of getting along, because I can't really tell someone to stop breathing.. they really wouldn't understand. But I guess I can I can leave off by saying thank you to all the people who have joined this group, because now I know I'm not crazy, this is a real thing that others struggle with. You can ask me any questions if needed! Thanks! :)

>

=

Guest guest

I have those triggers also and I go to college. For the breathing I have to put tissues in my ears. Try that. Kim

>

>

=

Guest guest

I have those triggers also and I go to college. For the breathing I have to put tissues in my ears. Try that. Kim

>

>

=

Guest guest

I spoke with the school and got my daughter permission to wear an IPOD in class and leave whenever she needs to without asking.  Fortunately she has never needed to.  I think that just knowing she can if she needs to makes it easier—she never feels trapped. From: Soundsensitivity [mailto:Soundsensitivity ] On Behalf Of stonSent: Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:47 PMTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: Re: Re: Ways to cope? Help / advice :) I agree 100 percent... As a Teacher of Special Education for over 20 years I have seen accommodations made, it's the squeaky wheel. The suggestions given here by going through the system WILL work! Demand what is now called modifications...Sent from my iPad This is a tough situation, but maybe you can find a sympathetic teacher/counselor and show them the articles about miso. Legally they must accommodate a student with a disability; your problem is that this is not a recognized disability and it's also hidden. If you have trouble getting permission to use your own coping strategies (music, ipod, leaving the room when necessary, etc), escalate it to the principal, the school board, the state board of education, threaten to sue the school for disability discrimination -- whatever you need to in order to make yourself heard. >> Okay, well I've been struggling with Misophonia since I was 12. I'm going back to school in 20 something days and I'm terrified. My misophonia has gotten worse over the summer. It's gotten to the point where I can't go anywhere. If my family goes out to eat or anything like that, they have to bring me something home. I also can't be around my friends anymore, because the sound of people breathing makes me want to bang their face into a wall, honestly. And whenever I HAVE to go somewhere, I listen to music so I can't hear anything else. But in school, I can't exactly pull out my iPod and turn on music.. so do any of you have any advice? Like ways you cope? Anything would be greatly appreciated. If you need it, my trigger sounds include breathing, chewing of anything, clicking of laptop keys, swallowing, whispering, also, as visual triggers, people chewing with their mouths open. Or if I see somebody chewing gum, even with their mouths closed. But if y'all have anyways of getting along, because I can't really tell someone to stop breathing.. they really wouldn't understand. But I guess I can I can leave off by saying thank you to all the people who have joined this group, because now I know I'm not crazy, this is a real thing that others struggle with. You can ask me any questions if needed! Thanks! :)> **Sorry this is SOO long!>=

Guest guest

Thanks y'all! I will absolutely have my parents talk to the school and tell

everyone how it goes :) thanks for the advice, i had no clue!

> >

> > Okay, well I've been struggling with Misophonia since I was 12. I'm going

back to school in 20 something days and I'm terrified. My misophonia has gotten

worse over the summer. It's gotten to the point where I can't go anywhere. If my

> > **Sorry this is SOO long!

> >

>

> =

>

Guest guest

I'm way beyond my college days, but I am in the middle of a 2-week classroom training class for my job. I moved a few times because the girls next to me were spending so much time instant-messaging and it was driving me crazy - couldn't focus on the material. So the 2nd day of class i asked the instructor: "Am I unreasonable to be distracted by the people next to me, who are constantly instant-messaging?". He said that no, i was not at all being unreasonable, and i shouldn't have to put up with that. So after lunch he made an announcement that texting and IM'ing were not only against the rules during class, but also distracting to your fellow students.

So, if you can approach your instructors in private about gum and texting, they might understand and make an announcement. You would probably be the hero for a few others souls in your classes, too, as I think this is much more prevalent than we know.

Good luck.

Guest guest

I just had a thought...at church's they have intercom's set up in the cry rooms, when children or babies are too loud.  You hear everything.  Perhaps they can set you up something like that in a private room, where you see through video and hear through an audio device.  Maybe it can be taken from class to class.

Just a thought.

M

I'm way beyond my college days, but I am in the middle of a 2-week classroom training class for my job.  I moved a few times because the girls next to me were spending so much time instant-messaging and it was driving me crazy - couldn't focus on the material.  So the 2nd day of class i asked the instructor:  " Am I unreasonable to be distracted by the people next to me, who are constantly instant-messaging? " .  He said that no, i was not at all being unreasonable, and i shouldn't have to put up with that.  So after lunch he made an announcement that texting and IM'ing were not only against the rules during class, but also distracting to your fellow students.

So, if you can approach your instructors in private about gum and texting, they might understand and make an announcement.  You would probably be the hero for a few others souls in your classes, too, as I think this is much more prevalent than we know.

Good luck.