RemedySpot.com

RE: The Audiologic Approach

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thank you Ms. ! Pamela VaughanChatsworth, Ontariopam@... This message may contain private, confidential, and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender at pam@... and delete all copies. From: Soundsensitivity [mailto:Soundsensitivity ] On Behalf Of anthro_popSent: July-26-12 3:06 PMTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: The Audiologic Approach The Misophonia Management Protocol Provider group met yesterday.We have been working as a focus group for a year now. We are using an approach to misophonia that uses sound therapy combined with cognitive therapy. It is called the MMP, the misophonia management protocol.Our group of 11 audiologists combined with various cognitive psychologists has been providing the MMP to people all over the US.Yesterday we reported initial data on patient outcomes, and the group as a whole is using some variation with what sound therapy is used, and agreed that as a whole group, people are better. No one was deemd to be worse, and using the Misophonia Assessment Questionnaire, the MAQ, the number scored has improved for most of the patients after using the MMP.We made a list of other therpeutic approaches that have been reported by patients, who may be using them simultaneously, or in the past, and these included:EMDR, CBT, NBF, hypnosis, relaxation training, chiropractic, and yoga/meditation. These were the methods that were reported as having some successful impact.Auditory integration therapy has not been successful and hs been deemed to actually have a negative impact on those suffering from decreased sound tolerance.The entire group reported on the number of patients who come in for evaluations, compared to those who proceed to the MMP, and this number varied widely (from 10% to 95%). Sound therapy devices that have been employed in the MMP include bilateral sound generators, personal listening devices, cd players or tabletop noise makers, headsets with earphones, and some hearing aids.The group is compiling a list of places where helpful sound programs or downloads can be obstained.Finally, we are amassing our forces to complete our initial one year time period by September 30, in order to create an 11 clinic database with an intention to public our work in a peer reviewed auditory science journal.This is really a very good example of how professional medical providers proceed with creating new protocols for treatment purposes, and then assessing them. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to fully explore all possible methods, but in a comprehensive and compassionate manner. I hope these reports are useful. We discussed the idea of an annual Miso conference and felt that this event belongs more in the arena of the new Misophonia Association than the miso-provider group.Finally, the group is hoping to have another similar group meeting with all the involved psychologists and counselors in the near future.Marsha , Audiologist

Guest guest

Thanks Dr. ! Go science!

Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:05 PM

To: Soundsensitivity

Subject: The Audiologic Approach

The Misophonia Management Protocol Provider group met yesterday.We have been working as a focus group for a year now. We are using an approach to misophonia that uses sound therapy combined with cognitive therapy. It is called the MMP, the misophonia management protocol.Our group of 11 audiologists combined with various cognitive psychologists has been providing the MMP to people all over the US.Yesterday we reported initial data on patient outcomes, and the group as a whole is using some variation with what sound therapy is used, and agreed that as a whole group, people are better. No one was deemd to be worse, and using the Misophonia Assessment Questionnaire, the MAQ, the number scored has improved for most of the patients after using the MMP.We made a list of other therpeutic approaches that have been reported by patients, who may be using them simultaneously, or in the past, and these included:EMDR, CBT, NBF, hypnosis, relaxation training, chiropractic, and yoga/meditation. These were the methods that were reported as having some successful impact.Auditory integration therapy has not been successful and hs been deemed to actually have a negative impact on those suffering from decreased sound tolerance.The entire group reported on the number of patients who come in for evaluations, compared to those who proceed to the MMP, and this number varied widely (from 10% to 95%). Sound therapy devices that have been employed in the MMP include bilateral sound generators, personal listening devices, cd players or tabletop noise makers, headsets with earphones, and some hearing aids.The group is compiling a list of places where helpful sound programs or downloads can be obstained.Finally, we are amassing our forces to complete our initial one year time period by September 30, in order to create an 11 clinic database with an intention to public our work in a peer reviewed auditory science journal.This is really a very good example of how professional medical providers proceed with creating new protocols for treatment purposes, and then assessing them. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to fully explore all possible methods, but in a comprehensive and compassionate manner. I hope these reports are useful. We discussed the idea of an annual Miso conference and felt that this event belongs more in the arena of the new Misophonia Association than the miso-provider group.Finally, the group is hoping to have another similar group meeting with all the involved psychologists and counselors in the near future.Marsha , Audiologist

Guest guest

Physicologists cant help

--- Original Message ---

Sent: July 26, 2012 7/26/12

The Misophonia Management Protocol Provider group met yesterday.

We have been working as a focus group for a year now. We are using an approach

to misophonia that uses sound therapy combined with cognitive therapy.

It is called the MMP, the misophonia management protocol.

Our group of 11 audiologists combined with various cognitive psychologists has

been providing the MMP to people all over the US.

Yesterday we reported initial data on patient outcomes, and the group as a whole

is using some variation with what sound therapy is used, and agreed that as a

whole group, people are better. No one was deemd to be worse, and using the

Misophonia Assessment Questionnaire, the MAQ, the number scored has improved for

most of the patients after using the MMP.

We made a list of other therpeutic approaches that have been reported by

patients, who may be using them simultaneously, or in the past, and these

included:

EMDR, CBT, NBF, hypnosis, relaxation training, chiropractic, and

yoga/meditation. These were the methods that were reported as having some

successful impact.

Auditory integration therapy has not been successful and hs been deemed to

actually have a negative impact on those suffering from decreased sound

tolerance.

The entire group reported on the number of patients who come in for evaluations,

compared to those who proceed to the MMP, and this number varied widely (from

10% to 95%).

Sound therapy devices that have been employed in the MMP include bilateral sound

generators, personal listening devices, cd players or tabletop noise makers,

headsets with earphones, and some hearing aids.

The group is compiling a list of places where helpful sound programs or

downloads can be obstained.

Finally, we are amassing our forces to complete our initial one year time period

by September 30, in order to create an 11 clinic database with an intention to

public our work in a peer reviewed auditory science journal.

This is really a very good example of how professional medical providers proceed

with creating new protocols for treatment purposes, and then assessing them. I

cannot emphasize enough how important it is to fully explore all possible

methods, but in a comprehensive and compassionate manner.

I hope these reports are useful. We discussed the idea of an annual Miso

conference and felt that this event belongs more in the arena of the new

Misophonia Association than the miso-provider group.

Finally, the group is hoping to have another similar group meeting with all the

involved psychologists and counselors in the near future.

Marsha , Audiologist

Guest guest

I'm not in any way attacking Dr 's email which states she has compiled data from the other 11 audiologists (the data of which I hope we here about in the future) I'm only pointing out to that the email does not addreas, refer or state that any kind of scientific study has been undertaken. So far I believe only UCSD and the University in Germany are actually engaging in scientific studies. Would love for more scientific research to occur and I'm hopeful with some of the members here work on outreach, that will soon be a reality. HeidiSent from my iPhoneReal Results. Real science. Age-Defying Skin. www.heidisalerno.nerium.comHappy Dancing!www.jitterbal.comOn Jul 26, 2012, at 1:20 PM, "" wrote:

Thanks Dr. ! Go science!

The Misophonia Management Protocol Provider group met yesterday.We have been working as a focus group for a year now. We are using an approach to misophonia that uses sound therapy combined with cognitive therapy. It is called the MMP, the misophonia management protocol.Our group of 11 audiologists combined with various cognitive psychologists has been providing the MMP to people all over the US.Yesterday we reported initial data on patient outcomes, and the group as a whole is using some variation with what sound therapy is used, and agreed that as a whole group, people are better. No one was deemd to be worse, and using the Misophonia Assessment Questionnaire, the MAQ, the number scored has improved for most of the patients after using the MMP.We made a list of other therpeutic approaches that have been reported by patients, who may be using them simultaneously, or in the past, and these included:EMDR, CBT, NBF, hypnosis, relaxation training, chiropractic, and yoga/meditation. These were the methods that were reported as having some successful impact.Auditory integration therapy has not been successful and hs been deemed to actually have a negative impact on those suffering from decreased sound tolerance.The entire group reported on the number of patients who come in for evaluations, compared to those who proceed to the MMP, and this number varied widely (from 10% to 95%). Sound therapy devices that have been employed in the MMP include bilateral sound generators, personal listening devices, cd players or tabletop noise makers, headsets with earphones, and some hearing aids.The group is compiling a list of places where helpful sound programs or downloads can be obstained.Finally, we are amassing our forces to complete our initial one year time period by September 30, in order to create an 11 clinic database with an intention to public our work in a peer reviewed auditory science journal.This is really a very good example of how professional medical providers proceed with creating new protocols for treatment purposes, and then assessing them. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to fully explore all possible methods, but in a comprehensive and compassionate manner. I hope these reports are useful. We discussed the idea of an annual Miso conference and felt that this event belongs more in the arena of the new Misophonia Association than the miso-provider group.Finally, the group is hoping to have another similar group meeting with all the involved psychologists and counselors in the near future.Marsha , Audiologist

Guest guest

I recognize Dr. ’s report as science because I’ve spent years designing circuits for medical devices, and we get input from the treatment development doctors. I’m really glad to see the work at UCSD, Europe, and the NFB successes here. Finally, people are focused on helping us!

Best hope for all,

Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:43 PM

Subject: Re: The Audiologic Approach

I'm not in any way attacking Dr 's email which states she has compiled data from the other 11 audiologists (the data of which I hope we here about in the future) I'm only pointing out to that the email does not addreas, refer or state that any kind of scientific study has been undertaken. So far I believe only UCSD and the University in Germany are actually engaging in scientific studies. Would love for more scientific research to occur and I'm hopeful with some of the members here work on outreach, that will soon be a reality. Heidi

Sent from my iPhone

Real Results. Real science.

Age-Defying Skin.

www.heidisalerno.nerium.com

Happy Dancing!

www.jitterbal.com

Thanks Dr. ! Go science!

Guest guest

Sorry not sure what a physicologist is? Can you add a bit more?

>

> Physicologists cant help

>

> --- Original Message ---

>

>

> Sent: July 26, 2012 7/26/12

> To: Soundsensitivity

> Subject: The Audiologic Approach

>

>  

>

> The Misophonia Management Protocol Provider group met yesterday.

>

> We have been working as a focus group for a year now. We are using an approach

>

> It is called the MMP, the misophonia management protocol.

>

> Our group of 11 audiologists combined with various cognitive psychologists has

>

> Yesterday we reported initial data on patient outcomes, and the group as a

whole is using some variation with what sound therapy is used, and agreed that

as a whole group, people are better. No one was deemd to be worse, and using the

Misophonia Assessment Questionnaire, the MAQ, the number scored has improved for

>

> We made a list of other therpeutic approaches that have been reported by

included:

>

> EMDR, CBT, NBF, hypnosis, relaxation training, chiropractic, and

successful impact.

>

> Auditory integration therapy has not been successful and hs been deemed to

tolerance.

>

> The entire group reported on the number of patients who come in for

evaluations, compared to those who proceed to the MMP, and this number varied

widely (from 10% to 95%).

>

> Sound therapy devices that have been employed in the MMP include bilateral

sound generators, personal listening devices, cd players or tabletop noise

makers, headsets with earphones, and some hearing aids.

>

> The group is compiling a list of places where helpful sound programs or

>

> Finally, we are amassing our forces to complete our initial one year time

period by September 30, in order to create an 11 clinic database with an

intention to public our work in a peer reviewed auditory science journal.

>

> This is really a very good example of how professional medical providers

proceed with creating new protocols for treatment purposes, and then assessing

them. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to fully explore all

possible methods, but in a comprehensive and compassionate manner.

>

> I hope these reports are useful. We discussed the idea of an annual Miso

>

> Finally, the group is hoping to have another similar group meeting with all

the involved psychologists and counselors in the near future.

>

> Marsha , Audiologist

>

Guest guest

Psychologists can help OCD, which is a neurologically based condition. I don't mean talk therapy, CBT is a much different approach from that. To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:43 PM Subject: RE: The Audiologic Approach

Physicologists cant help

Guest guest

nds To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:05 PM Subject: The Audiologic Approach

We have been working as a focus group for a year now. We are using an approach to misophonia that uses sound therapy combined with cognitive therapy.

Our group of 11 audiologists combined with various cognitive psychologists has been providing the MMP to people all over the US.

Yesterday we reported initial data on patient outcomes, and the group as a whole is using some variation with what sound therapy is used, and agreed that as a whole group, people are better. No one was deemd to be worse, and using the Misophonia Assessment Questionnaire, the MAQ, the number scored has improved for most of the patients after using the MMP.

We made a list of other therpeutic approaches that have been reported by patients, who may be using them simultaneously, or in the past, and these included:

EMDR, CBT, NBF, hypnosis, relaxation training, chiropractic, and yoga/meditation. These were the methods that were reported as having some successful impact.

Auditory integration therapy has not been successful and hs been deemed to actually have a negative impact on those suffering from decreased sound tolerance.

The entire group reported on the number of patients who come in for evaluations, compared to those who proceed to the MMP, and this number varied widely (from 10% to 95%).

Sound therapy devices that have been employed in the MMP include bilateral sound generators, personal listening devices, cd players or tabletop noise makers, headsets with earphones, and some hearing aids.

The group is compiling a list of places where helpful sound programs or downloads can be obstained.

Finally, we are amassing our forces to complete our initial one year time period by September 30, in order to create an 11 clinic database with an intention to public our work in a peer reviewed auditory science journal.

This is really a very good example of how professional medical providers proceed with creating new protocols for treatment purposes, and then assessing them. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to fully explore all possible methods, but in a comprehensive and compassionate manner.

I hope these reports are useful. We discussed the idea of an annual Miso conference and felt that this event belongs more in the arena of the new Misophonia Association than the miso-provider group.

Finally, the group is hoping to have another similar group meeting with all the involved psychologists and counselors in the near future.

Marsha , Audiologist

Guest guest

My psychiatrist was hoping I could see one of the misophonia providers that is on the list , they are both associated with a major medical research center. Unfortunately I do not have coverage, I would like to have participated.

We have been working as a focus group for a year now. We are using an approach to misophonia that uses sound therapy combined with cognitive therapy.

Our group of 11 audiologists combined with various cognitive psychologists has been providing the MMP to people all over the US.

Yesterday we reported initial data on patient outcomes, and the group as a whole is using some variation with what sound therapy is used, and agreed that as a whole group, people are better. No one was deemd to be worse, and using the Misophonia Assessment Questionnaire, the MAQ, the number scored has improved for most of the patients after using the MMP.

We made a list of other therpeutic approaches that have been reported by patients, who may be using them simultaneously, or in the past, and these included:

EMDR, CBT, NBF, hypnosis, relaxation training, chiropractic, and yoga/meditation. These were the methods that were reported as having some successful impact.

Auditory integration therapy has not been successful and hs been deemed to actually have a negative impact on those suffering from decreased sound tolerance.

The entire group reported on the number of patients who come in for evaluations, compared to those who proceed to the MMP, and this number varied widely (from 10% to 95%).

Sound therapy devices that have been employed in the MMP include bilateral sound generators, personal listening devices, cd players or tabletop noise makers, headsets with earphones, and some hearing aids.

The group is compiling a list of places where helpful sound programs or downloads can be obstained.

Finally, we are amassing our forces to complete our initial one year time period by September 30, in order to create an 11 clinic database with an intention to public our work in a peer reviewed auditory science journal.

This is really a very good example of how professional medical providers proceed with creating new protocols for treatment purposes, and then assessing them. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to fully explore all possible methods, but in a comprehensive and compassionate manner.

I hope these reports are useful. We discussed the idea of an annual Miso conference and felt that this event belongs more in the arena of the new Misophonia Association than the miso-provider group.

Finally, the group is hoping to have another similar group meeting with all the involved psychologists and counselors in the near future.

Marsha , Audiologist

Guest guest

Can you please tell us more about the scientific studies at UCSD and University of Germany? Thank you To: "Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity > Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:43 PM Subject: Re: The Audiologic Approach

I'm not in any way attacking Dr 's email which states she has compiled data from the other 11 audiologists (the data of which I hope we here about in the future) I'm only pointing out to that the email does not addreas, refer or state that any kind of scientific study has been undertaken. So far I believe only UCSD and the University in Germany are actually engaging in scientific studies. Would love for more scientific research to occur and I'm hopeful with some of the members here work on outreach, that will soon be a reality. HeidiSent from my iPhoneReal Results. Real science. Age-Defying Skin. www.heidisalerno.nerium.comHappy Dancing!www.jitterbal.comOn Jul 26, 2012, at 1:20 PM, "" wrote:

Thanks Dr. ! Go science!

Guest guest

That was a typo, sorry. What I wanted to say was that this approach sounds promising! To: "Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity >; "Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity > Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:28 PM Subject: Re:

The Audiologic Approach

nds To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:05 PM Subject: The Audiologic Approach

Marsha , Audiologist

Guest guest

Thank you Marsha for finding a way to help people live with Misophonia. I have

done it for 45 years.

From my own experience and from talking with many misophonics, the reason that

girls seem to get better after about age 14 is that they learn how to get their

hands on alcohol and pills and they self-medicate.

As I said, I have lived with Miso for 45 years. Now that I am sober, I have

used white noise generators, brown noise, earplugs, avoidance, psychological

guidance and other methods. I do agree that I have not gotten worse - I have

gotten better. Since I have been actively managing my Miso I have done better

than not doing anything to deal with it. If I do nothing to deal with it, then

of course I get worse. If I do deal with it I feel better. Very simple.

Thank you for your work. What are you planning on when you mention (in a later

post) about working toward a cure?

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

> We have been working as a focus group for a year now. We are using an approach

>

>

> Our group of 11 audiologists combined with various cognitive psychologists has

>

> Yesterday we reported initial data on patient outcomes, and the group as a

whole is using some variation with what sound therapy is used, and agreed that

as a whole group, people are better. No one was deemd to be worse, and using the

>

> We made a list of other therpeutic approaches that have been reported by

included:

>

successful impact.

>

> Auditory integration therapy has not been successful and hs been deemed to

tolerance.

>

evaluations, compared to those who proceed to the MMP, and this number varied

widely (from 10% to 95%).

>

> Sound therapy devices that have been employed in the MMP include bilateral

sound generators, personal listening devices, cd players or tabletop noise

makers, headsets with earphones, and some hearing aids.

>

> The group is compiling a list of places where helpful sound programs or

>

> Finally, we are amassing our forces to complete our initial one year time

period by September 30, in order to create an 11 clinic database with an

intention to public our work in a peer reviewed auditory science journal.

>

> This is really a very good example of how professional medical providers

proceed with creating new protocols for treatment purposes, and then assessing

them. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to fully explore all

possible methods, but in a comprehensive and compassionate manner.

>

> I hope these reports are useful. We discussed the idea of an annual Miso

>

> Finally, the group is hoping to have another similar group meeting with all

the involved psychologists and counselors in the near future.

>

> Marsha , Audiologist

>

Guest guest

I have had misophonia since I can remember and I have never been drunk,

never taken drugs, and never self-medicated in any way. I developed

methods for coping with this and all my sensitivities. Do I wish I didn't

have them? Sure. Did they mess up my whole life? Hard to say. I'm just

pointing this out because generalizations are dangerous, especially when

they are not backed by statistics. I think it is important that each of

us speak only for ourselves.

At 07:49 PM 7/27/2012, you wrote:

Thank you Marsha for finding a way to help people live with Misophonia. I

have done it for 45 years.

From my own experience and from talking with many misophonics, the

reason that girls seem to get better after about age 14 is that they

learn how to get their hands on alcohol and pills and they

self-medicate.

As I said, I have lived with Miso for 45 years. Now that I am sober, I

have used white noise generators, brown noise, earplugs, avoidance,

psychological guidance and other methods. I do agree that I have not

gotten worse - I have gotten better. Since I have been actively managing

my Miso I have done better than not doing anything to deal with it. If I

do nothing to deal with it, then of course I get worse. If I do deal with

it I feel better. Very simple.

Thank you for your work. What are you planning on when you mention (in a

later post) about working toward a cure?

>

>

>

> To:

Soundsensitivity

>

> Â

>

> The Misophonia Management Protocol Provider group met

yesterday.

>

> We have been working as a focus group for a year now. We are using

an approach to misophonia that uses sound therapy combined with cognitive

therapy.

>

>

> Our group of 11 audiologists combined with various cognitive

psychologists has been providing the MMP to people all over the US.

>

> Yesterday we reported initial data on patient outcomes, and the

group as a whole is using some variation with what sound therapy is used,

and agreed that as a whole group, people are better. No one was deemd to

be worse, and using the Misophonia Assessment Questionnaire, the MAQ, the

number scored has improved for most of the patients after using the

MMP.

>

> We made a list of other therpeutic approaches that have been

reported by patients, who may be using them simultaneously, or in the

past, and these included:

>

successful impact.

>

> Auditory integration therapy has not been successful and hs been

deemed to actually have a negative impact on those suffering from

decreased sound tolerance.

>

evaluations, compared to those who proceed to the MMP, and this number

varied widely (from 10% to 95%).

>

> Sound therapy devices that have been employed in the MMP include

bilateral sound generators, personal listening devices, cd players or

tabletop noise makers, headsets with earphones, and some hearing

aids.

>

> The group is compiling a list of places where helpful sound programs

or downloads can be obstained.

>

> Finally, we are amassing our forces to complete our initial one year

time period by September 30, in order to create an 11 clinic database

with an intention to public our work in a peer reviewed auditory science

journal.

>

> This is really a very good example of how professional medical

providers proceed with creating new protocols for treatment purposes, and

then assessing them. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to

fully explore all possible methods, but in a comprehensive and

compassionate manner.

>

> I hope these reports are useful. We discussed the idea of an annual

Miso conference and felt that this event belongs more in the arena of the

new Misophonia Association than the miso-provider group.

>

> Finally, the group is hoping to have another similar group meeting

with all the involved psychologists and counselors in the near

future.

>

> Marsha , Audiologist

>

Guest guest

So True!!!! That's the age I started to self medicate!!! I found some White Noise available on I Tunes yesterday and downloaded it!!! It was of the ocean and very calming.Sent from my iPad

Thank you Marsha for finding a way to help people live with Misophonia. I have done it for 45 years.

From my own experience and from talking with many misophonics, the reason that girls seem to get better after about age 14 is that they learn how to get their hands on alcohol and pills and they self-medicate.

As I said, I have lived with Miso for 45 years. Now that I am sober, I have used white noise generators, brown noise, earplugs, avoidance, psychological guidance and other methods. I do agree that I have not gotten worse - I have gotten better. Since I have been actively managing my Miso I have done better than not doing anything to deal with it. If I do nothing to deal with it, then of course I get worse. If I do deal with it I feel better. Very simple.

Thank you for your work. What are you planning on when you mention (in a later post) about working toward a cure?

>

>

>

>

> Â

>

>

> We have been working as a focus group for a year now. We are using an approach to misophonia that uses sound therapy combined with cognitive therapy.

>

>

> Our group of 11 audiologists combined with various cognitive psychologists has been providing the MMP to people all over the US.

>

> Yesterday we reported initial data on patient outcomes, and the group as a whole is using some variation with what sound therapy is used, and agreed that as a whole group, people are better. No one was deemd to be worse, and using the Misophonia Assessment Questionnaire, the MAQ, the number scored has improved for most of the patients after using the MMP.

>

> We made a list of other therpeutic approaches that have been reported by patients, who may be using them simultaneously, or in the past, and these included:

>

> EMDR, CBT, NBF, hypnosis, relaxation training, chiropractic, and yoga/meditation. These were the methods that were reported as having some successful impact.

>

> Auditory integration therapy has not been successful and hs been deemed to actually have a negative impact on those suffering from decreased sound tolerance.

>

> The entire group reported on the number of patients who come in for evaluations, compared to those who proceed to the MMP, and this number varied widely (from 10% to 95%).

>

> Sound therapy devices that have been employed in the MMP include bilateral sound generators, personal listening devices, cd players or tabletop noise makers, headsets with earphones, and some hearing aids.

>

> The group is compiling a list of places where helpful sound programs or downloads can be obstained.

>

> Finally, we are amassing our forces to complete our initial one year time period by September 30, in order to create an 11 clinic database with an intention to public our work in a peer reviewed auditory science journal.

>

> This is really a very good example of how professional medical providers proceed with creating new protocols for treatment purposes, and then assessing them. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to fully explore all possible methods, but in a comprehensive and compassionate manner.

>

> I hope these reports are useful. We discussed the idea of an annual Miso conference and felt that this event belongs more in the arena of the new Misophonia Association than the miso-provider group.

>

> Finally, the group is hoping to have another similar group meeting with all the involved psychologists and counselors in the near future.

>

> Marsha , Audiologist

>

=

Guest guest

Self Medication does not have to be drugs or Alchoholism. Sent from my iPad

self-medicate.

>

>

>

> To:

Soundsensitivity

>

> Â

>

yesterday.

>

therapy.

>

>

>

MMP.

>

>

successful impact.

>

>

>

aids.

>

>

journal.

>

compassionate manner.

>

>

future.

>

> Marsha , Audiologist

>

=

Guest guest

Then it becomes a catch-all " in " phrase the loses meaning. If

it doesn't refer to some type of substance that alters the brain then I

guess you can call something like yoga self-medication. It is interesting

that this group seems so contentious. I'm hoping it becomes more

empathetic and thoughtful.

At 04:09 AM 7/28/2012, you wrote:

Self Medication does not have to be drugs or Alchoholism.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 27, 2012, at 10:18 PM, Shiffrin

wrote:

self-medicate.

>

>

>

> To:

Soundsensitivity

>

> Â

>

yesterday.

>

therapy.

>

>

>

MMP.

>

>

successful impact.

>

>

>

aids.

>

>

journal.

>

compassionate manner.

>

>

future.

>

> Marsha , Audiologist

>

=

Guest guest

goodmorning lisa, i too am against any mind altering drugs or alcohol. well put on your end.. it will only mask the problem temporaly and will make things worse in the long run...ive learned to cope over the years as well , and live a purty good life.....do i wish things where different ? yes 100% .. things where definately alot worse in my younger years (45 now). jr high and high school where the worst .. but i managed to go back to school for 4 years in my late 30 and complete it with the copeing skills i have today..life is good.. even though my 10 year old daughter is definately showing signs of 4s now., thank god for this group and the studies that are now takeing place.. i will do anything to make life manageable for my girl... jason

Thank you Marsha for finding a way to help people live with Misophonia. I have done it for 45 years. From my own experience and from talking with many misophonics, the reason that girls seem to get better after about age 14 is that they learn how to get their hands on alcohol and pills and they self-medicate.As I said, I have lived with Miso for 45 years. Now that I am sober, I have used white noise generators, brown noise, earplugs, avoidance, psychological guidance and other methods. I do agree that I have not gotten worse - I have gotten better. Since I have been actively managing my Miso I have done better than not doing anything to deal with it. If I do nothing to deal with it, then of course I get worse. If I do deal with it I feel better. Very simple. Thank you for your work. What are you planning on when you mention (in a later post) about working toward a

cure?> > --- Original Message ---> > > Sent: July 26, 2012 7/26/12> To: Soundsensitivity > Subject: The Audiologic Approach> > Â > > The Misophonia Management Protocol Provider group met yesterday.> > We have been working as a focus group for a year now. We are using an approach to misophonia that uses sound therapy combined with cognitive therapy. > > It is called the MMP, the misophonia management protocol.> > Our group of 11 audiologists combined with various cognitive psychologists has been providing the MMP to people all over the US.> > Yesterday we reported initial

data on patient outcomes, and the group as a whole is using some variation with what sound therapy is used, and agreed that as a whole group, people are better. No one was deemd to be worse, and using the Misophonia Assessment Questionnaire, the MAQ, the number scored has improved for most of the patients after using the MMP.> > We made a list of other therpeutic approaches that have been reported by patients, who may be using them simultaneously, or in the past, and these included:> > EMDR, CBT, NBF, hypnosis, relaxation training, chiropractic, and yoga/meditation. These were the methods that were reported as having some successful impact.> > Auditory integration therapy has not been successful and hs been deemed to actually have a negative impact on those suffering from decreased sound tolerance.> > The entire group reported on the number of patients who come in for evaluations, compared to those

who proceed to the MMP, and this number varied widely (from 10% to 95%). > > Sound therapy devices that have been employed in the MMP include bilateral sound generators, personal listening devices, cd players or tabletop noise makers, headsets with earphones, and some hearing aids.> > The group is compiling a list of places where helpful sound programs or downloads can be obstained.> > Finally, we are amassing our forces to complete our initial one year time period by September 30, in order to create an 11 clinic database with an intention to public our work in a peer reviewed auditory science journal.> > This is really a very good example of how professional medical providers proceed with creating new protocols for treatment purposes, and then assessing them. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to fully explore all possible methods, but in a comprehensive and compassionate manner.

> > I hope these reports are useful. We discussed the idea of an annual Miso conference and felt that this event belongs more in the arena of the new Misophonia Association than the miso-provider group.> > Finally, the group is hoping to have another similar group meeting with all the involved psychologists and counselors in the near future.> > Marsha , Audiologist>=

Guest guest

and most of all thanks mj for all of your hard work, and god bless all who suffer from this horrible condition..,,.there is always hope

Thank you Marsha for finding a way to help people live with Misophonia. I have done it for 45 years. From my own experience and from talking with many misophonics, the reason that girls seem to get better after about age 14 is that they learn how to get their hands on alcohol and pills and they self-medicate.As I said, I have lived with Miso for 45 years. Now that I am sober, I have used white noise generators, brown noise, earplugs, avoidance, psychological guidance and other methods. I do agree that I have not gotten worse - I have gotten better. Since I have been actively managing my Miso I have done better than not doing anything to deal with it. If I do nothing to deal with it, then of course I get worse. If I do deal with it I feel better. Very simple. Thank you for your work. What are you planning on when you mention (in a later post) about working toward a cure?> > --- Original Message ---> >

> Sent: July 26, 2012 7/26/12> To: Soundsensitivity > Subject: The Audiologic Approach> > Â > > The Misophonia Management Protocol Provider group met yesterday.> > We have been working as a focus group for a year now. We are using an approach to misophonia that uses sound therapy combined with cognitive therapy. > > It is called the MMP, the misophonia management protocol.> > Our group of 11 audiologists combined with various cognitive psychologists has been providing the MMP to people all over the US.> > Yesterday we reported initial data on patient outcomes, and the group as a whole is using some

variation with what sound therapy is used, and agreed that as a whole group, people are better. No one was deemd to be worse, and using the Misophonia Assessment Questionnaire, the MAQ, the number scored has improved for most of the patients after using the MMP.> > We made a list of other therpeutic approaches that have been reported by patients, who may be using them simultaneously, or in the past, and these included:> > EMDR, CBT, NBF, hypnosis, relaxation training, chiropractic, and yoga/meditation. These were the methods that were reported as having some successful impact.> > Auditory integration therapy has not been successful and hs been deemed to actually have a negative impact on those suffering from decreased sound tolerance.> > The entire group reported on the number of patients who come in for evaluations, compared to those who proceed to the MMP, and this number varied widely (from 10%

to 95%). > > Sound therapy devices that have been employed in the MMP include bilateral sound generators, personal listening devices, cd players or tabletop noise makers, headsets with earphones, and some hearing aids.> > The group is compiling a list of places where helpful sound programs or downloads can be obstained.> > Finally, we are amassing our forces to complete our initial one year time period by September 30, in order to create an 11 clinic database with an intention to public our work in a peer reviewed auditory science journal.> > This is really a very good example of how professional medical providers proceed with creating new protocols for treatment purposes, and then assessing them. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to fully explore all possible methods, but in a comprehensive and compassionate manner. > > I hope these reports are useful. We discussed the

idea of an annual Miso conference and felt that this event belongs more in the arena of the new Misophonia Association than the miso-provider group.> > Finally, the group is hoping to have another similar group meeting with all the involved psychologists and counselors in the near future.> > Marsha , Audiologist>=

Guest guest

Academic isn't contentious,,, so true yoga can be self medicationSent from my iPad

Then it becomes a catch-all "in" phrase the loses meaning. If

it doesn't refer to some type of substance that alters the brain then I

guess you can call something like yoga self-medication. It is interesting

that this group seems so contentious. I'm hoping it becomes more

empathetic and thoughtful.

At 04:09 AM 7/28/2012, you wrote:

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 27, 2012, at 10:18 PM, Shiffrin

wrote:

self-medicate.

>

>

>

> To:

Soundsensitivity

>

> Â

>

yesterday.

>

therapy.

>

>

>

MMP.

>

>

successful impact.

>

>

>

aids.

>

>

journal.

>

compassionate manner.

>

>

future.

>

> Marsha , Audiologist

>

=

=

Guest guest

It would be good to createa survey to see if those here have tried using

substance abuse to cope with misophonia. It would not surprise me at all,

really.

I am not aware that these young teens are using those items, and that this is

the reason why they seem to do better. I have always thought it was an increase

in maturity level and self-regulation behavior.

Young children might kick or bite you if they are super frustrated. Older kids

can learn to walk away or use words.

Adults may be frustrated but hide it or use logical thinking or self-management

skills to simply avoid the situation in the future.

Dr. J

Guest guest

I have friends who do not drink or abuse drugs. During conversations with them over the years several have used the term self medicate to describe behavior that they expressed became a form of self medication,,,as in a metaphor,,, one friend used Golf to avoid his wife and children,, another work, and then there is food. Shopping and spending money have been something that has also come up in conversations. They have seen themselves as using these forms of activity much like the Alchoholic.Sent from my iPad

What else would it be?

=

Guest guest

So does this mean that any coping strategy could be called self medication? This seems like a very ambiguous way to communicate. Isn't it important to be sure that what we say actually communicates what we mean in a way that most people are likely to understand correctly? To me, a medication is a substance, so I could sort of see food being included, though it's a stretch for me (since everyone has to eat to live - it's a basic human function). But shopping, spending money, and yoga are actions, and I would simply call those coping methods. Self-medication would be one coping method of many.

I have friends who do not drink or abuse drugs. During conversations with them over the years several have used the term self medicate to describe behavior that they expressed became a form of self medication,,,as in a metaphor,,, one friend used Golf to avoid his wife and children,, another work, and then there is food. Shopping and spending money have been something that has also come up in conversations. They have seen themselves as using these forms of activity much like the Alchoholic.

Guest guest

The operative word is "most" people. In conversations with "most" people they have described their extreme behavior as self medication,,, but that's just limited to my experience and small circle. Sent from my iPad

So does this mean that any coping strategy could be called self medication? This seems like a very ambiguous way to communicate. Isn't it important to be sure that what we say actually communicates what we mean in a way that most people are likely to understand correctly? To me, a medication is a substance, so I could sort of see food being included, though it's a stretch for me (since everyone has to eat to live - it's a basic human function). But shopping, spending money, and yoga are actions, and I would simply call those coping methods. Self-medication would be one coping method of many.

I have friends who do not drink or abuse drugs. During conversations with them over the years several have used the term self medicate to describe behavior that they expressed became a form of self medication,,,as in a metaphor,,, one friend used Golf to avoid his wife and children,, another work, and then there is food. Shopping and spending money have been something that has also come up in conversations. They have seen themselves as using these forms of activity much like the Alchoholic.

=

Guest guest

Which may not be most people in an internet group that is available to the entire world. :-)

but that's just limited to my experience and small circle.