RemedySpot.com

Re: Wait just a second - OTHER people have this????

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Rebekah,You're not dreaming! This thing is real. It has to be. I am new to the group, also. My 13 year old son suffers from misophonia. I, too, could not believe what I was reading when I stumbled upon this group two weeks ago after an excruciating family vacation to France. It took being out of his comfort zone for us to realize how incredibly debilitating this condition is for him. I am encouraged that there are so many adults out there who have made progress and have found ways to cope. And I, too, was just so relieved to discover that we are not alone in our struggle. Your enthusiasm and light hearted acceptance is a breath of fresh air.Warmly, LoriSent from my iPad

Dear friends,

Three days ago my life changed forever when I stumbled upon the Wikipedia page for something called "Misophonia" while - fittingly - searching for a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones.

Reading various blogs and discovering this group has been the most surprising thing that's ever happened to me. I still can't believe it. I figure tomorrow I'll wake up and it will all have been a dream.

I can't believe other people feel the same way that I do.

I can't believe other people experience the rage, the panic, the need to GET OUT and GET AWAY. I've always believe I was the only one. I guess now that sounds incredibly self-centered, but I've lived all over the U.S. and traveled extensively and have never, NEVER met anyone who understood what I was talking about when I complained about sounds.

I broke my lease on my apartment after a week because I could hear the neighbor's tv through the wall.

I weep like a baby when I ride on airplanes because I can hear people snoring through my blasting headphones. (I have to turn the volume all the way up to drown out the sound of OTHER people's headphones).

Hearing, seeing and smelling someone chew gum makes me want grab the nearest baseball bat, or physically reach in and grab the gum out of their mouth and throw it on the floor.

I've never had a real romantic relationship - in part because I can't sleep in the same bed as my partner. My last relationship ended over a fight about his gum chewing.

HOW IS IT that all of these things are related? I thought they were my own freakish idiosyncrasies! Not only are they related, but other people have the same reactions over the SAME THINGS?

I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it. I'm 30 years old and I've suffered through this since I was 7. I've been on multiple antidepressants, seen therapist after therapist...

This is already too long and there is so much to say but what I would love...what I would love is for someone to just confirm for me that I'm not dreaming...that this THING, this crazy thing that I've never been able to explain is actually a real thing, something that other people might understand.

I fantasize about opening little coffee shops called "A Quiet Place" where the rules would be something like this:

1. No gum chewing (of course), no nachos, NO POPCORN

2. No headphones except SILENT noise cancelling headphones

3. No whistle-nose breathers allowed

4. Quiet typing in some rooms, no typing allowed in others

Would you come? And while I'm at it, couldn't we have separate airplanes, buses, trains, movie theatres, and restaurants for 4S people? Has anyone started a dating site for misophonics?

Flabbergastedly Yours,

Rebekah

Guest guest

Welcome Rebeka,You're not dreaming. This is real. You're not alone. I've thought about a dating site actually! hahahaWe're in this together,:-)Heidi

Dear friends,

Three days ago my life changed forever when I stumbled upon the Wikipedia page for something called "Misophonia" while - fittingly - searching for a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones.

Reading various blogs and discovering this group has been the most surprising thing that's ever happened to me. I still can't believe it. I figure tomorrow I'll wake up and it will all have been a dream.

I can't believe other people experience the rage, the panic, the need to GET OUT and GET AWAY. I've always believe I was the only one. I guess now that sounds incredibly self-centered, but I've lived all over the U.S. and traveled extensively and have never, NEVER met anyone who understood what I was talking about when I complained about sounds.

I broke my lease on my apartment after a week because I could hear the neighbor's tv through the wall.

I weep like a baby when I ride on airplanes because I can hear people snoring through my blasting headphones. (I have to turn the volume all the way up to drown out the sound of OTHER people's headphones).

Hearing, seeing and smelling someone chew gum makes me want grab the nearest baseball bat, or physically reach in and grab the gum out of their mouth and throw it on the floor.

I've never had a real romantic relationship - in part because I can't sleep in the same bed as my partner. My last relationship ended over a fight about his gum chewing.

HOW IS IT that all of these things are related? I thought they were my own freakish idiosyncrasies! Not only are they related, but other people have the same reactions over the SAME THINGS?

I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it. I'm 30 years old and I've suffered through this since I was 7. I've been on multiple antidepressants, seen therapist after therapist...

This is already too long and there is so much to say but what I would love...what I would love is for someone to just confirm for me that I'm not dreaming...that this THING, this crazy thing that I've never been able to explain is actually a real thing, something that other people might understand.

I fantasize about opening little coffee shops called "A Quiet Place" where the rules would be something like this:

Would you come? And while I'm at it, couldn't we have separate airplanes, buses, trains, movie theatres, and restaurants for 4S people? Has anyone started a dating site for misophonics?

Flabbergastedly Yours,

Rebekah

Gorgeous, youthful skin is waiting for you. Real science. Real results.www.heidisalerno.nerium.com

Guest guest

i felt the exact way you are feeling now.couldnt have expressed it better.. (WELCOME) THERE IS HOPE FOR PEOPLE LIKE( US)AND ITS NOT A DREAM! IAM 40 NOW AND HAVE NEVER COME ACROSS ANYBODY WITH OUR WEIRD CONDITION. EXCEPT MY TWIN BRO..... I THINK MOST OF US ARE TO EMBARRESSED TO TALK ABPUT ....BEST WISHES JASON

Dear friends,Three days ago my life changed forever when I stumbled upon the Wikipedia page for something called "Misophonia" while - fittingly - searching for a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones.Reading various blogs and discovering this group has been the most surprising thing that's ever happened to me. I still can't believe it. I figure tomorrow I'll wake up and it will all have been a dream.I can't believe other people feel the same way that I do.I can't believe other people experience the rage, the panic, the need to GET OUT and GET AWAY. I've always believe I was the only one. I guess now that sounds incredibly self-centered, but I've lived all over the U.S. and traveled extensively and have never, NEVER met anyone who understood what I was talking about when I complained about sounds. I broke my lease on my apartment after a week because I could hear the neighbor's tv through the wall.

I weep like a baby when I ride on airplanes because I can hear people snoring through my blasting headphones. (I have to turn the volume all the way up to drown out the sound of OTHER people's headphones).Hearing, seeing and smelling someone chew gum makes me want grab the nearest baseball bat, or physically reach in and grab the gum out of their mouth and throw it on the floor. I've never had a real romantic relationship - in part because I can't sleep in the same bed as my partner. My last relationship ended over a fight about his gum chewing.HOW IS IT that all of these things are related? I thought they were my own freakish idiosyncrasies! Not only are they related, but other people have the same reactions over the SAME THINGS? I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it. I'm 30 years old and I've suffered through this since I was 7. I've been on multiple antidepressants, seen therapist after

therapist...This is already too long and there is so much to say but what I would love...what I would love is for someone to just confirm for me that I'm not dreaming...that this THING, this crazy thing that I've never been able to explain is actually a real thing, something that other people might understand.I fantasize about opening little coffee shops called "A Quiet Place" where the rules would be something like this:1. No gum chewing (of course), no nachos, NO POPCORN2. No headphones except SILENT noise cancelling headphones3. No whistle-nose breathers allowed4. Quiet typing in some rooms, no typing allowed in othersWould you come? And while I'm at it, couldn't we have separate airplanes, buses, trains, movie theatres, and restaurants for 4S people? Has anyone started a dating site for misophonics?Flabbergastedly

Yours,Rebekah

Guest guest

I WAS JOKEING WITH MY BROTHER THE OTHER DAY ABOUT A 4S DATING SIGHT.LOL WE SHOULD!

Dear friends,Three days ago my life changed forever when I stumbled upon the Wikipedia page for something called "Misophonia" while - fittingly - searching for a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones.Reading various blogs and discovering this group has been the most surprising thing that's ever happened to me. I still can't believe it. I figure tomorrow I'll wake up and it will all have been a dream.I can't believe other people feel the same way that I do.I can't believe other people experience the rage, the panic, the need to GET OUT and GET AWAY. I've always believe I was the only one. I guess now that sounds incredibly self-centered, but I've lived all over the U.S. and traveled extensively and have never, NEVER met anyone who understood what I was talking about when I complained about sounds. I broke my lease on my apartment after a week because I could hear the neighbor's tv through the wall.

I weep like a baby when I ride on airplanes because I can hear people snoring through my blasting headphones. (I have to turn the volume all the way up to drown out the sound of OTHER people's headphones).Hearing, seeing and smelling someone chew gum makes me want grab the nearest baseball bat, or physically reach in and grab the gum out of their mouth and throw it on the floor. I've never had a real romantic relationship - in part because I can't sleep in the same bed as my partner. My last relationship ended over a fight about his gum chewing.HOW IS IT that all of these things are related? I thought they were my own freakish idiosyncrasies! Not only are they related, but other people have the same reactions over the SAME THINGS? I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it. I'm 30 years old and I've suffered through this since I was 7. I've been on multiple antidepressants, seen therapist after

therapist...This is already too long and there is so much to say but what I would love...what I would love is for someone to just confirm for me that I'm not dreaming...that this THING, this crazy thing that I've never been able to explain is actually a real thing, something that other people might understand.I fantasize about opening little coffee shops called "A Quiet Place" where the rules would be something like this:1. No gum chewing (of course), no nachos, NO POPCORN2. No headphones except SILENT noise cancelling headphones3. No whistle-nose breathers allowed4. Quiet typing in some rooms, no typing allowed in othersWould you come? And while I'm at it, couldn't we have separate airplanes, buses, trains, movie theatres, and restaurants for 4S people? Has anyone started a dating site for misophonics?Flabbergastedly Yours,Rebekah

Gorgeous, youthful skin is waiting for you.

Real science. Real results.

www.heidisalerno.nerium.com

Guest guest

Thanks so much, everyone.Lori, your poor son! But he's lucky to have you for a mom. Traveling is so hard! (Incidentally, I'm a travel writer. Aargh!) The dating site is on. Any programmers out there?

Separate bedrooms, separate meals.........ahhh, so romantic. (: 

i felt the exact way you are feeling now.couldnt have expressed it better.. (WELCOME) THERE IS HOPE FOR PEOPLE LIKE( US)AND ITS NOT A DREAM!  IAM 40 NOW AND HAVE NEVER COME ACROSS ANYBODY WITH OUR WEIRD CONDITION. EXCEPT MY TWIN BRO..... I THINK MOST OF US ARE TO EMBARRESSED TO TALK ABPUT ....BEST WISHES JASON

Dear friends,Three days ago my life changed forever when I stumbled upon the Wikipedia page for something called " Misophonia " while - fittingly - searching for a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones.

I can't believe other people feel the same way that I do.I can't believe other people experience the rage, the panic, the need to GET OUT and GET AWAY. I've always believe I was the only one. I guess now that sounds incredibly self-centered, but I've lived all over the U.S. and traveled extensively and have never, NEVER met anyone who understood what I was talking about when I complained about sounds.

Hearing, seeing and smelling someone chew gum makes me want grab the nearest baseball bat, or physically reach in and grab the gum out of their mouth and throw it on the floor. I've never had a real romantic relationship - in part because I can't sleep in the same bed as my partner. My last relationship ended over a fight about his gum chewing.

HOW IS IT that all of these things are related? I thought they were my own freakish idiosyncrasies! Not only are they related, but other people have the same reactions over the SAME THINGS? I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it. I'm 30 years old and I've suffered through this since I was 7. I've been on multiple antidepressants, seen therapist after

therapist...This is already too long and there is so much to say but what I would love...what I would love is for someone to just confirm for me that I'm not dreaming...that this THING, this crazy thing that I've never been able to explain is actually a real thing, something that other people might understand.

I fantasize about opening little coffee shops called " A Quiet Place " where the rules would be something like this:1. No gum chewing (of course), no nachos, NO POPCORN2. No headphones except SILENT noise cancelling headphones

3. No whistle-nose breathers allowed4. Quiet typing in some rooms, no typing allowed in othersWould you come? And while I'm at it, couldn't we have separate airplanes, buses, trains, movie theatres, and restaurants for 4S people? Has anyone started a dating site for misophonics?

Flabbergastedly

Yours,Rebekah

-- Rebekah Voss(310)697-6385http://www.imdb.me/rebekahvossView my reel at http://resumes.actorsaccess.com/rebekahvoss

Guest guest

Rebekah, it's not a dream. I just found out about it a few weeks ago when a friend saw a recent segment on 20/20 about it and told me she had it. As she described it, I realized I had it. I never knew she was sensitive about sounds and she never knew I was even though she stayed at my house for several months while her father was dying. (I guess we both ate quietly, but she did spend a lot of time in her room alone!) We both just thought we were weird and never thought to go to a doctor about it. Then when I posted the link to the 20/20 segment on facebook, a person I grew up with was just as amazed and said that both she and her sister have had it since they were children. I think it's more common than anyone realizes.

Welcome to the group!

Missy in Nashville

Guest guest

Oh wow! A dating site for Misophonics, now that's a great idea! I am sure there has to many of us that have failed in a relationship, in part because of this... Sent from my iPad

Dear friends,

Flabbergastedly Yours,

Rebekah

=

Guest guest

Rebekah!

OMG, I am in amazement just like you!! My sister sent me a link to the wikipedia page just a few days ago and I am still overwhelmed to find out about "misophonia" This IS ME!!! I am 51--you are lucky that you are discovering this at 30 years old. My whole life since I was about 7 (same as you) has been so difficult because of my sound sensitivities or idiosyncrasies (as my therapists have called them). My son has autism and many of these sound sensitivities and even visual sensitivities as well and that is when I thought, maybe I too am a "little autistic"?? But now I know, THIS is what I have and I am not alone. I cried when I read your post because your reaction was the same as mine.

I absolutely cannot live in an apartment because I am deathly afraid of hearing TV noise through the wall, and cannot travel and stay in a hotel as well. I AVOID airplanes at all costs because I am afraid someone will be chewing gum and "popping" their gum next to me. I have seen many many therapists through the years and have been on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs to no avail. I hate base noise from cars that go by my house. I cannot have a "normal" relationship with anyone because I too cannot sleep next to someone who snores!!! I have a boyfriend right now and we are having extreme difficulties because I am at the end of my rope--I have to wear earplugs but I can still hear him and I have to sleep on the couch and he does not understand. We are in counseling and the counselor doesn't even understand!! I have my own therapist and I cannot wait to see her next week--I am going to tell her about misophonia.

I cannot go outside in the evening because crickets--I cannot leave the window open at night. I cannot lay out in the sun in my backyard or do gardening because of the dogs barking in the neighborhood. So many other things that people do not understand and I feel alone and CRAZY because of it.

People whistling is the absolute worst for me and if someone is whistling in a grocery store, I have to immediately flee the area or the store!! Sometimes people whistle at work and I go crazy!! I have constant anxiety because of this and I am so tired of the stress.

I am going to do more research into this and try to find a specialist near me that I can see. If nothing else I think even a support group would be so helpful for me.

Please email me if you ever want to (cyclesooz@...)

Susie

Guest guest

Thanks Susie! I emailed you. Welcome to the Twilight Zone - all the " crazy " stuff you thought was just you is actually a real thing! 

Discovering Misophonia is like having someone in Starbucks come up to you and quote something from your private journal. What blows my mind is that it's called SELECTIVE sound sensitivity disorder. It would be one thing if I was bothered by a certain set of sounds, and YOU were bothered by a totally different set of sounds. The fact that most of are triggered by the SAME EXACT THINGS is just incredible to me. 

And many of the sounds are unrelated! What does bass through the walls have to do with chewing gum?! Nothing that I can see, but they both make me FEEL the same way. What a strange, strange condition. 

P.S. Just bought $50 Sony noise cancelling headphones and they're working great - I'm in Starbucks and can't hear the overhead music at all!! Joy!!!!! (So maybe the Bose $300 aren't worth it!)

Guest guest

>

>

>  

>

> Dear friends,

>

> Three days ago my life changed forever when I stumbled upon the Wikipedia page

for something called " Misophonia " while - fittingly - searching for a decent

pair of noise cancelling headphones.

>

> Reading various blogs and discovering this group has been the most surprising

thing that's ever happened to me. I still can't believe it. I figure tomorrow

I'll wake up and it will all have been a dream.

>

> I can't believe other people feel the same way that I do.

>

> I can't believe other people experience the rage, the panic, the need to GET

OUT and GET AWAY. I've always believe I was the only one. I guess now that

sounds incredibly self-centered, but I've lived all over the U.S. and traveled

extensively and have never, NEVER met anyone who understood what I was talking

about when I complained about sounds.

>

> I broke my lease on my apartment after a week because I could hear the

neighbor's tv through the wall.

>

> I weep like a baby when I ride on airplanes because I can hear people snoring

through my blasting headphones. (I have to turn the volume all the way up to

drown out the sound of OTHER people's headphones).

>

> Hearing, seeing and smelling someone chew gum makes me want grab the nearest

baseball bat, or physically reach in and grab the gum out of their mouth and

throw it on the floor.

>

> I've never had a real romantic relationship - in part because I can't sleep in

the same bed as my partner. My last relationship ended over a fight about his

gum chewing.

>

> HOW IS IT that all of these things are related? I thought they were my own

freakish idiosyncrasies! Not only are they related, but other people have the

same reactions over the SAME THINGS?

>

> I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it. I'm 30 years old and I've

suffered through this since I was 7. I've been on multiple antidepressants, seen

therapist after therapist...

>

> This is already too long and there is so much to say but what I would

love...what I would love is for someone to just confirm for me that I'm not

dreaming...that this THING, this crazy thing that I've never been able to

explain is actually a real thing, something that other people might understand.

>

> I fantasize about opening little coffee shops called " A Quiet Place " where the

rules would be something like this:

>

> 1. No gum chewing (of course), no nachos, NO POPCORN

> 2. No headphones except SILENT noise cancelling headphones

> 3. No whistle-nose breathers allowed

> 4. Quiet typing in some rooms, no typing allowed in others

>

> Would you come? And while I'm at it, couldn't we have separate airplanes,

buses, trains, movie theatres, and restaurants for 4S people? Has anyone started

a dating site for misophonics?

>

> Flabbergastedly Yours,

> Rebekah

>

>

>

>

> Gorgeous, youthful skin is waiting for you.  

> Real science. Real results.

> www.heidisalerno.nerium.com

>

LOL! " OTHER people have this too!? " That was exactly my thought a few years ago

when I first was told about someone else having it! I didn't know it was an

actual " condition " for most of my life. I thought I was just truly weird.

Yes, I could see finding someone who also has this being pretty nice. My partner

of 6 years has put up with me AND his father having this! He doesn't understand

it. I think at times my partner think we're just mean or ill. Bless his heart!

Lol. Yes, definitely finding a partner who also has it would be helpful. They'd

understand on a deeper level and probably be less likely to do the noises that

bother you, since it does bother them as well. If that fails, having a partner

who's super understanding is necessary. I know mine definitely has to have

patience and he tries SO hard to not make the noises. :( He'll whistle or chew

and it sends me into hysterics and I try not to show it. He says " I'm sorry. "

And I have to say it's not you, it's me. :( I am the one with the problem with

noise. He'll whistle and I flip and he forgets seconds later, doing it again, so

he's always apologizing. Kind of sad, but I try to just walk away and not be so

mean about it.