RemedySpot.com

Re: Why people with AS/ASD shoud never give up....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Oh, well done . Like a lot of others, I have been following your progress with pride, from the time you described a train journey and your thoughts on how you interacted with people on the train; and, in recent times, how you worked out what career would benefit you and others. Ian went to university at 52 for the very first time, in 2010, to get an MA in Creative Writing. He had left school at 14 because his teachers thought he was unteachable, and he has more or less suppressed his intellect since then, through fear and anger. His writing skills got him into the course (well, plus a lot of nagging from me) and he sailed through after being terrified he would be considered stupid again. It takes a lot of courage to try again after a

lot of knockbacks, and , you have done the same. The story is, if you believe in yourself then others will, too. The trouble is, for older Asperger's there might be the historical of constant 'putting down' of skills because of the way children are taught (in the UK, at least) where either you are Special Needs or Awkard Kid, or you are Disruptive..... and in all cases, it used to be a punishment for someone like Ian not to like sports, to want to tell the teacher where they are wrong (!) or choose not to do certain things. Plus, the Asperger not realising what it is they are perceived as doing 'wrong' which means that for some, they may never fulfil their potential, let alone their ambitions. 'Wrong' being a different way of approach, or different way of thinking, which if it is quelled at a young age, in people like Ian, becomes a template for the rest of his life - he is

still bitter and angry about what might have been. So yes, dont give up, dont let past hurts get in the way of overcoming the past. With all the knowledge, open-ness and campaigning of people like you, , lets hope that the future generation of Asperger children, plus the much maligned adults, will have a more profitable experience in learning, and be able to contribute their unique skills in such fields as yours, where the purity of thought and, dare I say it, pernickityness, benefits the task. You are making an impression, a difference in everything you do. Good for you, ! Judy B, scotland To: aspires-relationships Sent: Sunday, 6 May 2012, 14:07 Subject: Why people with AS/ASD shoud never give up.... Just letting everyone know I was admitted to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on Friday afternoon last week. I will be working on a second bachelor's degree, this time in Accounting.

I will be starting the program just three classes shy of the halfway mark, when the upper level accounting classes are taken. Just because someone who lives with Aspergers may have missed developmental milestones and involve "developmental delays," it does not mean that a person's life will be that way forever - seemingly. I am an example of what can happen if people work hard enough and don't give up in life. Good things happen to those who wait - and that includes people like me and numerous others with AS/ASD.------------------------------------ "We each have our own way of living in the world, together we are like a symphony.Some are the melody, some are the rhythm, some are the harmony It all blends together, we are like a symphony, and each part is crucial.We all contribute to the song of life."

...Sondra We might not always agree; but TOGETHER we will make a difference. ASPIRES is a closed, confidential, moderated list.Responsibility for posts to ASPIRES lies entirely with the original author. Do NOT post mail off-list without the author's permission. When in doubt, please refer to our list rules at: http://www.aspires-relationships.com/info_rules.htm ASPIRES ~ Climbing the mountain TOGETHER http://www.aspires-relationships.com