RemedySpot.com

RE: Re: VA and transplants

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Transplants are covered only at VA facilities but they will pay for the drugs as long as the pt is established with a physycian at their closest VA facility. We have had patientstransplanted here, different organs, and have never had an issue. VA usually wants a call from the transplant Coordinator a few days before the hospital discharge, to coordinate the medications. From: Danner, Sara Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 01:51 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators <TxFinancialCoordinators >Subject: RE: VA and transplants In my experience with Medicare/VA patients, VA coverage is not valid at our center. They will only cover a transplant at a VA transplant facility. From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ]On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 1:47 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: VA and transplants I have not worked with the VA for transplants and now I have a patient with Medicare only but he also has some VA benefits. Can anyone let me know if there are any specific things I need to do with or know about VA benefits as they relateto transplant? Will they cover immunos if they approve the surgery at our hospital, etc…..? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Guest guest

Same in our facility. AyabarrenoFinancial CoordinatorHartford Hospital Transplant Program80 Seymour Street - Suite 321Hartford, CT 06102Tele# Fax# Email: Mayabar@... >>> "Galeano, Nury" 6/8/2012 4:54 PM >>> Transplants are covered only at VA facilities but they will pay for the drugs as long as the pt is established with a physycian at their closest VA facility. We have had patients transplanted here, different organs, and have never had an issue. VA usually wants a call from the transplant Coordinator a few days before the hospital discharge, to coordinate the medications. From: Danner, Sara Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 01:51 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators <TxFinancialCoordinators > Subject: RE: VA and transplants In my experience with Medicare/VA patients, VA coverage is not valid at our center. They will only cover a transplant at a VA transplant facility.From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 1:47 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: VA and transplants I have not worked with the VA for transplants and now I have a patient with Medicare only but he also has some VA benefits. Can anyone let me know if there are any specific things I need to do with or know about VA benefits as they relate to transplant? Will they cover immunos if they approve the surgery at our hospital, etc…..? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Guest guest

Same in our facility. AyabarrenoFinancial CoordinatorHartford Hospital Transplant Program80 Seymour Street - Suite 321Hartford, CT 06102Tele# Fax# Email: Mayabar@... >>> "Galeano, Nury" 6/8/2012 4:54 PM >>> Transplants are covered only at VA facilities but they will pay for the drugs as long as the pt is established with a physycian at their closest VA facility. We have had patients transplanted here, different organs, and have never had an issue. VA usually wants a call from the transplant Coordinator a few days before the hospital discharge, to coordinate the medications. From: Danner, Sara Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 01:51 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators <TxFinancialCoordinators > Subject: RE: VA and transplants In my experience with Medicare/VA patients, VA coverage is not valid at our center. They will only cover a transplant at a VA transplant facility.From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 1:47 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: VA and transplants I have not worked with the VA for transplants and now I have a patient with Medicare only but he also has some VA benefits. Can anyone let me know if there are any specific things I need to do with or know about VA benefits as they relate to transplant? Will they cover immunos if they approve the surgery at our hospital, etc…..? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Guest guest

My understanding re: patients with VA who are medically managed through a VA physician,  is that we would need to get authorization from the VA physician to do the transplant at our hospital versus having the transplant at a VA hospital. How does that work at your centers? Is the TFC responsible for setting up a discussion with the VA physician? I would imagine it would really need to be physician to physician, or at least clinical coordinator involvement. Is that correct? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of AyabarrenoSent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:07 AMTo: 'TxFinancialCoordinators@Subject: Re: VA and transplantsImportance: Low I do the same thing in our center. AyabarrenoFinancial CoordinatorHartford Hospital Transplant Program80 Seymour Street - Suite 321Hartford, CT 06102Tele# Fax# Email: Mayabar@... >>> Maddox 6/12/2012 2:44 PM >>> ,Our patients have been able to get all of their transplant medications through our local VA. We have made contact with their physician/nurse team at the VA to make them aware of the referral. I also provided a list of the medications and asked if the physician would be willing to rewrite the prescriptions at the time of transplant, so they could be filled there. This has worked well for several of our patients that received a kidney transplant. Maddox Transplant Financial Coordinator Via Christi Hospital Transplant Institute 929 N St Francis, Suite M157 Wichita KS 67214 PH FX shannon.maddox@...“NOTICE – This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential, or sensitive information intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this e-mail is prohibi ted. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Via Christi Hospital immediately, and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your computer system. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Via Christi Hospitalâ€.

Guest guest

HI, ,We do the same as the others: we do not need permission for the transplant from the VA if they have other insurance (they wouldn’t give it anyway), but we do touch base with their clinic before the transplant to make sure we have a provider who will write their scripts.    We have transplanted patients successfully doing this for many years.  RuthRuth Wilhelm Financial Coordinator The Virginia Transplant Center Henrico Doctors' Hospital Henrico, VA phone fax Ruth.Wilhelm@... Treasurer, Transplant Financial Coordinators Association From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:41 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators ; yahoogroups.com'.TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants My understanding re: patients with VA who are medically managed through a VA physician, is that we would need to get authorization from the VA physician to do the transplant at our hospital versus having the transplant at a VA hospital. How does that work at your centers? Is the TFC responsible for setting up a discussion with the VA physician? I would imagine it would really need to be physician to physician, or at least clinical coordinator involvement. Is that correct? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of AyabarrenoSent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:07 AMTo: 'TxFinancialCoordinators@Subject: Re: VA and transplantsImportance: Low I do the same thing in our center. AyabarrenoFinancial CoordinatorHartford Hospital Transplant Program80 Seymour Street - Suite 321Hartford, CT 06102Tele# Fax# Email: Mayabar@... >>> Maddox 6/12/2012 2:44 PM >>> ,Our patients have been able to get all of their transplant medications through our local VA. We have made contact with their physician/nurse team at the VA to make them aware of the referral. I also provided a list of the medications and asked if the physician would be willing to rewrite the prescriptions at the time of transplant, so they could be filled there. This has worked well for several of our patients that received a kidney transplant. Maddox Transplant Financial Coordinator Via Christi Hospital Transplant Institute 929 N St Francis, Suite M157 Wichita KS 67214 PH FX shannon.maddox@...“NOTICE – This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential, or sensitive information intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this e-mail is prohibi ted. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Via Christi Hospital immediately, and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your computer system. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Via Christi Hospitalâ€.

Guest guest

Thanks for the information. My scenario is a patient with Medicare and VA benefits. Obviously, if we do not get permission for the transplant from the VA, then the patient essentially has Medicare only. That is where my dilemma comes into play. It is great to know that we could do the transplant under Medicare and have him obtain his immunos through the VA, but the issue of no secondary insurance still remains. M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of Ruth.Wilhelm@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:47 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators ; yahoogroups.com'.TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants HI, ,We do the same as the others: we do not need permission for the transplant from the VA if they have other insurance (they wouldn’t give it anyway), but we do touch base with their clinic before the transplant to make sure we have a provider who will write their scripts. We have transplanted patients successfully doing this for many years. RuthRuth Wilhelm Financial Coordinator The Virginia Transplant Center Henrico Doctors' Hospital Henrico, VA phone fax Ruth.Wilhelm@... Treasurer, Transplant Financial Coordinators Association From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:41 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators ; yahoogroups.com'.TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants My understanding re: patients with VA who are medically managed through a VA physician, is that we would need to get authorization from the VA physician to do the transplant at our hospital versus having the transplant at a VA hospital. How does that work at your centers? Is the TFC responsible for setting up a discussion with the VA physician? I would imagine it would really need to be physician to physician, or at least clinical coordinator involvement. Is that correct? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of AyabarrenoSent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:07 AMTo: 'TxFinancialCoordinators@Subject: Re: VA and transplantsImportance: Low I do the same thing in our center. AyabarrenoFinancial CoordinatorHartford Hospital Transplant Program80 Seymour Street - Suite 321Hartford, CT 06102Tele# Fax# Email: Mayabar@... >>> Maddox 6/12/2012 2:44 PM >>> ,Our patients have been able to get all of their transplant medications through our local VA. We have made contact with their physician/nurse team at the VA to make them aware of the referral. I also provided a list of the medications and asked if the physician would be willing to rewrite the prescriptions at the time of transplant, so they could be filled there. This has worked well for several of our patients that received a kidney transplant. Maddox Transplant Financial Coordinator Via Christi Hospital Transplant Institute 929 N St Francis, Suite M157 Wichita KS 67214 PH FX shannon.maddox@...“NOTICE – This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential, or sensitive information intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this e-mail is prohibi ted. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Via Christi Hospital immediately, and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your computer system. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Via Christi Hospitalâ€.

Guest guest

We have never gotten permission for someone to utilize their VA benefits here. They require them to go to a VA facility. From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:51 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants Thanks for the information. My scenario is a patient with Medicare and VA benefits. Obviously, if we do not get permission for the transplant from the VA, then the patient essentially has Medicare only. That is where my dilemma comes into play. It is great to know that we could do the transplant under Medicare and have him obtain his immunos through the VA, but the issue of no secondary insurance still remains. M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of Ruth.Wilhelm@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:47 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators ; yahoogroups.com'.TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants HI, ,We do the same as the others: we do not need permission for the transplant from the VA if they have other insurance (they wouldn’t give it anyway), but we do touch base with their clinic before the transplant to make sure we have a provider who will write their scripts. We have transplanted patients successfully doing this for many years. RuthRuth Wilhelm Financial Coordinator The Virginia Transplant Center Henrico Doctors' Hospital Henrico, VA phone fax Ruth.Wilhelm@... Treasurer, Transplant Financial Coordinators Association From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:41 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators ; yahoogroups.com'.TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants My understanding re: patients with VA who are medically managed through a VA physician, is that we would need to get authorization from the VA physician to do the transplant at our hospital versus having the transplant at a VA hospital. How does that work at your centers? Is the TFC responsible for setting up a discussion with the VA physician? I would imagine it would really need to be physician to physician, or at least clinical coordinator involvement. Is that correct? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of AyabarrenoSent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:07 AMTo: 'TxFinancialCoordinators@Subject: Re: VA and transplantsImportance: Low I do the same thing in our center. AyabarrenoFinancial CoordinatorHartford Hospital Transplant Program80 Seymour Street - Suite 321Hartford, CT 06102Tele# Fax# Email: Mayabar@... >>> Maddox 6/12/2012 2:44 PM >>> ,Our patients have been able to get all of their transplant medications through our local VA. We have made contact with their physician/nurse team at the VA to make them aware of the referral. I also provided a list of the medications and asked if the physician would be willing to rewrite the prescriptions at the time of transplant, so they could be filled there. This has worked well for several of our patients that received a kidney transplant. Maddox Transplant Financial Coordinator Via Christi Hospital Transplant Institute 929 N St Francis, Suite M157 Wichita KS 67214 PH FX shannon.maddox@...“NOTICE – This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential, or sensitive information intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this e-mail is prohibi ted. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Via Christi Hospital immediately, and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your computer system. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Via Christi Hospitalâ€.

Guest guest

Same here at our facility. The VA will not act as a secondary insurance either. The business office at our local VA explained it like this: “The VA isNOT an insurance†Deidra M. SimanoTransplant Operations AnalystDepartment of Transplant SurgeryDartmouth-Hitchcock LebanonPhone: (603) 653.3689 / Fax: (603) 676.4287Transplant Secretary (603) 653.3931Dartmouth-Hitchcock.org From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ]On Behalf Of Ruth.Wilhelm@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 12:20 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants We have never gotten permission for someone to utilize their VA benefits here. They require them to go to a VA facility. From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ]On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:51 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants Thanks for the information. My scenario is a patient with Medicare and VA benefits. Obviously, if we do not get permission for the transplant from the VA, then the patient essentiallyhas Medicare only. That is where my dilemma comes into play. It is great to know that we could do the transplant under Medicare and have him obtain his immunos through the VA, but the issue of no secondary insurance still remains. M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ]On Behalf Of Ruth.Wilhelm@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:47 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators ; yahoogroups.com'.TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants HI, ,We do the same as the others: we do not need permission for the transplant from the VA if they have other insurance (they wouldn’t give it anyway), but we do touch base with their clinicbefore the transplant to make sure we have a provider who will write their scripts. We have transplanted patients successfully doing this for many years. RuthRuth WilhelmFinancial CoordinatorThe Virginia Transplant CenterHenrico Doctors' HospitalHenrico, VA phone faxRuth.Wilhelm@...Treasurer, Transplant Financial Coordinators AssociationFrom:TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ]On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:41 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators ; yahoogroups.com'.TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants My understanding re: patients with VA who are medically managed through a VA physician, is that we would need to get authorization from the VA physician to do the transplant at ourhospital versus having the transplant at a VA hospital. How does that work at your centers? Is the TFC responsible for setting up a discussion with the VA physician? I would imagine it would really need to be physician to physician, or at least clinical coordinatorinvolvement. Is that correct? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: (616) 391-7900lisa.christiansen@... From:TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ]On Behalf Of AyabarrenoSent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:07 AMTo: 'TxFinancialCoordinators@Subject: Re: VA and transplantsImportance: Low I do the same thing in our center. AyabarrenoFinancial CoordinatorHartford Hospital Transplant Program80 Seymour Street - Suite 321Hartford, CT 06102Tele# Fax# Email: Mayabar@... >>> Maddox 6/12/2012 2:44 PM >>> ,Our patients have been able to get all of their transplant medications through our local VA. We have made contact with their physician/nurse team at the VA to make them aware of the referral. I alsoprovided a list of the medications and asked if the physician would be willing to rewrite the prescriptions at the time of transplant, so they could be filled there. This has worked well for several of our patients that received a kidney transplant. Maddox Transplant Financial Coordinator Via Christi Hospital Transplant Institute 929 N St Francis, Suite M157 Wichita KS 67214 PH FX shannon.maddox@...“NOTICE – This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential, or sensitive information intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipientof this e-mail you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this e-mail is prohibi ted. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Via Christi Hospital immediately, and delete this e-mail and all attachmentsfrom your computer system. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Via Christi Hospitalâ€.IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE:This message is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message forany purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.

Guest guest

Same here at our facility. The VA will not act as a secondary insurance either. The business office at our local VA explained it like this: “The VA isNOT an insurance†Deidra M. SimanoTransplant Operations AnalystDepartment of Transplant SurgeryDartmouth-Hitchcock LebanonPhone: (603) 653.3689 / Fax: (603) 676.4287Transplant Secretary (603) 653.3931Dartmouth-Hitchcock.org From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ]On Behalf Of Ruth.Wilhelm@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 12:20 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants We have never gotten permission for someone to utilize their VA benefits here. They require them to go to a VA facility. From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ]On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:51 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants Thanks for the information. My scenario is a patient with Medicare and VA benefits. Obviously, if we do not get permission for the transplant from the VA, then the patient essentiallyhas Medicare only. That is where my dilemma comes into play. It is great to know that we could do the transplant under Medicare and have him obtain his immunos through the VA, but the issue of no secondary insurance still remains. M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ]On Behalf Of Ruth.Wilhelm@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:47 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators ; yahoogroups.com'.TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants HI, ,We do the same as the others: we do not need permission for the transplant from the VA if they have other insurance (they wouldn’t give it anyway), but we do touch base with their clinicbefore the transplant to make sure we have a provider who will write their scripts. We have transplanted patients successfully doing this for many years. RuthRuth WilhelmFinancial CoordinatorThe Virginia Transplant CenterHenrico Doctors' HospitalHenrico, VA phone faxRuth.Wilhelm@...Treasurer, Transplant Financial Coordinators AssociationFrom:TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ]On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:41 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators ; yahoogroups.com'.TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants My understanding re: patients with VA who are medically managed through a VA physician, is that we would need to get authorization from the VA physician to do the transplant at ourhospital versus having the transplant at a VA hospital. How does that work at your centers? Is the TFC responsible for setting up a discussion with the VA physician? I would imagine it would really need to be physician to physician, or at least clinical coordinatorinvolvement. Is that correct? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: (616) 391-7900lisa.christiansen@... From:TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ]On Behalf Of AyabarrenoSent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:07 AMTo: 'TxFinancialCoordinators@Subject: Re: VA and transplantsImportance: Low I do the same thing in our center. AyabarrenoFinancial CoordinatorHartford Hospital Transplant Program80 Seymour Street - Suite 321Hartford, CT 06102Tele# Fax# Email: Mayabar@... >>> Maddox 6/12/2012 2:44 PM >>> ,Our patients have been able to get all of their transplant medications through our local VA. We have made contact with their physician/nurse team at the VA to make them aware of the referral. I alsoprovided a list of the medications and asked if the physician would be willing to rewrite the prescriptions at the time of transplant, so they could be filled there. This has worked well for several of our patients that received a kidney transplant. Maddox Transplant Financial Coordinator Via Christi Hospital Transplant Institute 929 N St Francis, Suite M157 Wichita KS 67214 PH FX shannon.maddox@...“NOTICE – This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential, or sensitive information intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipientof this e-mail you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this e-mail is prohibi ted. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Via Christi Hospital immediately, and delete this e-mail and all attachmentsfrom your computer system. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Via Christi Hospitalâ€.IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE:This message is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message forany purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.

Guest guest

I have the VA patients sign a “Letter of Understandingâ€.  The letter advise the patient if you choose to have the  transplant at our hospital we will bill Medicare but you are responsible for the  Medicare part A deductible, as well the 20% balance after Medicare pays on all covered charges.  Of course, I work with the VA transplant nurse to ensure the post medications can be obtained at a VA center.  We’ve transplant a lot of VA patients with no financial or medication problems.   Thanks From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 10:51 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants Thanks for the information. My scenario is a patient with Medicare and VA benefits. Obviously, if we do not get permission for the transplant from the VA, then the patient essentially has Medicare only. That is where my dilemma comes into play. It is great to know that we could do the transplant under Medicare and have him obtain his immunos through the VA, but the issue of no secondary insurance still remains. M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of Ruth.Wilhelm@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:47 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators ; yahoogroups.com'.TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants HI, ,We do the same as the others: we do not need permission for the transplant from the VA if they have other insurance (they wouldn’t give it anyway), but we do touch base with their clinic before the transplant to make sure we have a provider who will write their scripts. We have transplanted patients successfully doing this for many years. RuthRuth Wilhelm Financial Coordinator The Virginia Transplant Center Henrico Doctors' Hospital Henrico, VA phone fax Ruth.Wilhelm@... Treasurer, Transplant Financial Coordinators Association From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:41 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators ; yahoogroups.com'.TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants My understanding re: patients with VA who are medically managed through a VA physician, is that we would need to get authorization from the VA physician to do the transplant at our hospital versus having the transplant at a VA hospital. How does that work at your centers? Is the TFC responsible for setting up a discussion with the VA physician? I would imagine it would really need to be physician to physician, or at least clinical coordinator involvement. Is that correct? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of AyabarrenoSent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:07 AMTo: 'TxFinancialCoordinators@Subject: Re: VA and transplantsImportance: Low I do the same thing in our center. AyabarrenoFinancial CoordinatorHartford Hospital Transplant Program80 Seymour Street - Suite 321Hartford, CT 06102Tele# Fax# Email: Mayabar@... >>> Maddox 6/12/2012 2:44 PM >>> ,Our patients have been able to get all of their transplant medications through our local VA. We have made contact with their physician/nurse team at the VA to make them aware of the referral. I also provided a list of the medications and asked if the physician would be willing to rewrite the prescriptions at the time of transplant, so they could be filled there. This has worked well for several of our patients that received a kidney transplant. Maddox Transplant Financial Coordinator Via Christi Hospital Transplant Institute 929 N St Francis, Suite M157 Wichita KS 67214 PH FX shannon.maddox@...“NOTICE – This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential, or sensitive information intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this e-mail is prohibi ted. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Via Christi Hospital immediately, and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your computer system. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Via Christi Hospitalâ€.

Guest guest

Same here, Ruth

Whitney Folsom, TFC

ETMC Transplant Program

1100 E Lake St ste 340

Tyler, TX 75701

phone

fax

wlfolsom@...

>>> 6/18/2012 11:20 AM >>>

We have never gotten permission for someone to utilize their VA

benefits here. They require them to go to a VA facility.

[mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of

lisa.christiansen@...

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:51 AM

To: TxFinancialCoordinators

Subject: RE: Re: VA and transplants

Thanks for the information. My scenario is a patient with Medicare and

VA benefits. Obviously, if we do not get permission for the transplant

from the VA, then the patient essentially has Medicare only. That is

where my dilemma comes into play. It is great to know that we could do

the transplant under Medicare and have him obtain his immunos through

the VA, but the issue of no secondary insurance still remains.

M. Christiansen, BAS, RN

Transplant Financial Case Manager

DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program

100 Michigan NE

MC 231

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Phone: Pager: Fax:

lisa.christiansen@...

Ruth.Wilhelm@...

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:47 AM

To: TxFinancialCoordinators ;

yahoogroups.com'.TxFinancialCoordinators

HI, ,

We do the same as the others: we do not need permission for the

transplant from the VA if they have other insurance (they wouldn*t

give it anyway), but we do touch base with their clinic before the

transplant to make sure we have a provider who will write their scripts.

We have transplanted patients successfully doing this for many

years.

Ruth

Ruth Wilhelm

Financial Coordinator

The Virginia Transplant Center

Henrico Doctors' Hospital

Henrico, VA

phone

fax

Ruth.Wilhelm@...

Treasurer, Transplant Financial Coordinators Association

TxFinancialCoordinators <mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators@yahoogrou\

ps.com>

lisa.christiansen@...<mailto:lisa.christiansen@...\

>

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:41 AM

To:

ps.com>;

My understanding re: patients with VA who are medically managed through

a VA physician, is that we would need to get authorization from the VA

physician to do the transplant at our hospital versus having the

transplant at a VA hospital. How does that work at your centers? Is the

TFC responsible for setting up a discussion with the VA physician? I

would imagine it would really need to be physician to physician, or at

least clinical coordinator involvement. Is that correct?

M. Christiansen, BAS, RN

100 Michigan NE

MC 231

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

>

ps.com>

Ayabarreno

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:07 AM

To: 'TxFinancialCoordinators@

Subject: Re: VA and transplants

Importance: Low

I do the same thing in our center.

Ayabarreno

Fina

ncial Coordinator

Hartford Hospital

Transplant Program

80 Seymour Street - Suite 321

Hartford, CT 06102

Tele#

Fax#

Email: Mayabar@...

[cid:image001.jpg@...]

>>> Maddox

>

6/12/2012 2:44 PM >>>

Our patients have been able to get all of their transplant medications

through our local VA. We have made contact with their physician/nurse

team at the VA to make them aware of the referral. I also provided a

list of the medications and asked if the physician would be willing to

rewrite the prescriptions at the time of transplant, so they could be

filled there. This has worked well for several of our patients that

received a kidney transplant.

Maddox

Transplant Financial Coordinator

Via Christi Hospital

Transplant Institute

929 N St Francis, Suite M157

Wichita KS 67214

PH

FX

shannon.maddox@...

*NOTICE * This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential,

or sensitive information intended only for the use of the intended

recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail you are

hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or

reproduction of this e-mail is prohibi ted. If you have received this

e-mail in error, please notify Via Christi Hospital immediately, and

delete this e-mail and all attachments from your computer system. Any

views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and

may not necessarily reflect the views of Via Christi Hospital*.

===========================================================

This message is confidential, intended only

for the named recipient(s) and may contain

information that is privileged or exempt from

disclosure under applicable law. If you are

not the intended recipient(s), you are notified

that the dissemination, distribution or copying

of this message is strictly prohibited. If you

received this message in error, or are not the

named recipient(s), please notify the sender

and delete this e-mail from your computer.

ETMC has implemented secure messaging for

certain types of messages. For more information

about our secure messaging system, go to:

http://www.etmc.org/mail/

Thank you.

Guest guest

Same here, Ruth

Whitney Folsom, TFC

ETMC Transplant Program

1100 E Lake St ste 340

Tyler, TX 75701

phone

fax

wlfolsom@...

>>> 6/18/2012 11:20 AM >>>

We have never gotten permission for someone to utilize their VA

benefits here. They require them to go to a VA facility.

lisa.christiansen@...

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:51 AM

To: TxFinancialCoordinators

Thanks for the information. My scenario is a patient with Medicare and

VA benefits. Obviously, if we do not get permission for the transplant

from the VA, then the patient essentially has Medicare only. That is

where my dilemma comes into play. It is great to know that we could do

the transplant under Medicare and have him obtain his immunos through

the VA, but the issue of no secondary insurance still remains.

M. Christiansen, BAS, RN

100 Michigan NE

MC 231

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

lisa.christiansen@...

Ruth.Wilhelm@...

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:47 AM

To: TxFinancialCoordinators ;

HI, ,

We do the same as the others: we do not need permission for the

transplant from the VA if they have other insurance (they wouldn*t

give it anyway), but we do touch base with their clinic before the

transplant to make sure we have a provider who will write their scripts.

We have transplanted patients successfully doing this for many

years.

Ruth

Ruth Wilhelm

Financial Coordinator

The Virginia Transplant Center

Henrico Doctors' Hospital

Henrico, VA

phone

fax

Ruth.Wilhelm@...

Treasurer, Transplant Financial Coordinators Association

ps.com>

>

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:41 AM

To:

ps.com>;

My understanding re: patients with VA who are medically managed through

a VA physician, is that we would need to get authorization from the VA

physician to do the transplant at our hospital versus having the

transplant at a VA hospital. How does that work at your centers? Is the

TFC responsible for setting up a discussion with the VA physician? I

would imagine it would really need to be physician to physician, or at

least clinical coordinator involvement. Is that correct?

M. Christiansen, BAS, RN

100 Michigan NE

MC 231

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

>

ps.com>

Ayabarreno

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:07 AM

To: 'TxFinancialCoordinators@

Subject: Re: VA and transplants

Ayabarreno

Fina

ncial Coordinator

Hartford Hospital

Transplant Program

Hartford, CT 06102

Tele#

Fax#

>>> Maddox

>

Maddox

Via Christi Hospital

Transplant Institute

Wichita KS 67214

PH

FX

shannon.maddox@...

Thank you.

Guest guest

Thanks everyone for your feedback! As always, it has been so helpful!

Have a great day!

M. Christiansen, BAS, RN

100 Michigan NE

MC 231

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

lisa.christiansen@...

Re: VA and transplants

Ayabarreno

Fina

ncial Coordinator

Hartford Hospital

Transplant Program

Hartford, CT 06102

Tele#

Fax#

>>> Maddox

>

Maddox

Via Christi Hospital

Transplant Institute

Wichita KS 67214

PH

FX

shannon.maddox@...

Thank you.

------------------------------------

Guest guest

Thanks everyone for your feedback! As always, it has been so helpful!

Have a great day!

M. Christiansen, BAS, RN

100 Michigan NE

MC 231

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

lisa.christiansen@...

Re: VA and transplants

Ayabarreno

Fina

ncial Coordinator

Hartford Hospital

Transplant Program

Hartford, CT 06102

Tele#

Fax#

>>> Maddox

>

Maddox

Via Christi Hospital

Transplant Institute

Wichita KS 67214

PH

FX

shannon.maddox@...

Thank you.

------------------------------------