RemedySpot.com

Re: VA and transplants

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

In my experience with Medicare/VA patients, VA coverage is not valid at our center. They will only cover a transplant at a VA transplant facility.

From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ]

On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...

Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 1:47 PM

To: TxFinancialCoordinators

Subject: VA and transplants

I have not worked with the VA for transplants and now I have a patient with Medicare only but he also has some VA benefits. Can anyone let me know if there are any specific things

I need to do with or know about VA benefits as they relate to transplant? Will they cover immunos if they approve the surgery at our hospital, etc…..?

M. Christiansen, BAS, RN

Transplant Financial Case Manager

DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program

100 Michigan NE

MC 231

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Phone:

Pager: Fax:

lisa.christiansen@...

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.

Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Guest guest

We can not get approval from VA

regarding transplant. However, we work with our VA clinics regarding the

meds. We can usually get the meds approved through the VA physician. A VA

physician must write the scripts in order for the patient to have them filled

at the VA pharmacy. I will usually get the patients physician name, phone

number and team name, fax them the medication list and get a verbal approval

that they will write the scripts when patient transplants. When the patient

transplants, we fax the scripts to the VA physician who writes them and sends

them to the pharmacy so the patient can get them when discharged.

Michele Branham,

Sr. Transplant Financial Coordinator

Spiritual Ambassador

- Phone; - Fax

Luke 1:46-47 " My soul Glorifies the Lord and my Spirit

rejoices in God my Savior. "

TxFinancialCoordinators

[mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of Danner,

Sara

Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 2:51 PM

Subject: RE: VA and transplants

In my experience with Medicare/VA

patients, VA coverage is not valid at our center. They will only cover a

transplant at a VA transplant facility.

TxFinancialCoordinators

[mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...

Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 1:47 PM

Subject: VA and transplants

I

have not worked with the VA for transplants and now I have a patient with

Medicare only but he also has some VA benefits. Can anyone let me know if there

are any specific things I need to do with or know about VA benefits as they

relate to transplant? Will they cover immunos if they approve the surgery at

our hospital, etc…..?

M. Christiansen, BAS, RN

Transplant

Financial Case Manager

DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program

Michigan NE

MC

Grand

Rapids, MI 49503

Phone:

Pager: Fax:

lisa.christiansen@...

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by

law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any

disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any

action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Guest guest

We make sure of 3 things: 1) pt can afford the Medicare A and B deductibles and coinsurance for surgery and post op care (we can’t bill the VA for that). 2) The pt has an established PCP or better yet nephrologist who will re-write our scripts if we send the chart notes w/the request (pt can only fill VA scripts at the VA pharm) 3) There is at least one backup to that MD – we’ve had a couple of pts end up in a pickle b/c the MD who agreed to this got deployed. Hope this helps. Our local VA now has its own vigorous kidney txp program so we don’t get too many referrals anymore. Heard they may be opening new programs in AZ and the Southeast. on Transplant Financial Coordinator Legacy Good Samaritan Hospital Legacy Transplant Services 1040 NW 22nd Ave Ste 480 Portland OR 97210 direct main office toll-free fax lmorriso@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 11:47 AMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: VA and transplants I have not worked with the VA for transplants and now I have a patient with Medicare only but he also has some VA benefits. Can anyone let me know if there are any specific things I need to do with or know about VA benefits as they relate to transplant? Will they cover immunos if they approve the surgery at our hospital, etc…..? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@...

Guest guest

Thank you all for your information! I truly appreciate it!Have a great weekend! M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of Branham, MicheleSent: Friday, June 08, 2012 2:57 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: VA and transplants We can not get approval from VA regarding transplant. However, we work with our VA clinics regarding the meds. We can usually get the meds approved through the VA physician. A VA physician must write the scripts in order for the patient to have them filled at the VA pharmacy. I will usually get the patients physician name, phone number and team name, fax them the medication list and get a verbal approval that they will write the scripts when patient transplants. When the patient transplants, we fax the scripts to the VA physician who writes them and sends them to the pharmacy so the patient can get them when discharged. Michele Branham,Sr. Transplant Financial CoordinatorSpiritual Ambassador - Phone; - FaxLuke 1:46-47 " My soul Glorifies the Lord and my Spirit rejoices in God my Savior. " From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of Danner, SaraSent: Friday, June 08, 2012 2:51 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: RE: VA and transplants In my experience with Medicare/VA patients, VA coverage is not valid at our center. They will only cover a transplant at a VA transplant facility. From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of lisa.christiansen@...Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 1:47 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators Subject: VA and transplants I have not worked with the VA for transplants and now I have a patient with Medicare only but he also has some VA benefits. Can anyone let me know if there are any specific things I need to do with or know about VA benefits as they relate to transplant? Will they cover immunos if they approve the surgery at our hospital, etc…..? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Guest guest

Yes they will From: lisa.christiansen@... Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 01:47 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators <TxFinancialCoordinators >Subject: VA and transplants I have not worked with the VA for transplants and now I have a patient with Medicare only but he also has some VA benefits. Can anyone let me know if there are any specific things I need to do with or know about VA benefits as they relateto transplant? Will they cover immunos if they approve the surgery at our hospital, etc…..? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@...

Guest guest

Thanks Nury! M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@... From: TxFinancialCoordinators [mailto:TxFinancialCoordinators ] On Behalf Of Galeano, NurySent: Friday, June 08, 2012 4:47 PMTo: 'TxFinancialCoordinators 'Subject: Re: VA and transplants Yes they will From: lisa.christiansen@... Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 01:47 PMTo: TxFinancialCoordinators <TxFinancialCoordinators > Subject: VA and transplants I have not worked with the VA for transplants and now I have a patient with Medicare only but he also has some VA benefits. Can anyone let me know if there are any specific things I need to do with or know about VA benefits as they relate to transplant? Will they cover immunos if they approve the surgery at our hospital, etc…..? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@...

Guest guest

, I'd this a kidney patient or a heart? We actually have a contract with our local VA for transplants and they then cover meds. If it's a kidney, we haven't had any luck ourselves getting a VA physician to cover the meds. Debbie Mast Database Administrator/Financial ManagerSolid Organ Transplants/VAD program I have not worked with the VA for transplants and now I have a patient with Medicare only but he also has some VA benefits. Can anyone let me know if there are any specific things I need to do with or know about VA benefits as they relate to transplant? Will they cover immunos if they approve the surgery at our hospital, etc…..? M. Christiansen, BAS, RNTransplant Financial Case Manager DeVos Heart and Lung Transplant Program100 Michigan NEMC 231Grand Rapids, MI 49503Phone: Pager: Fax: lisa.christiansen@...

Guest guest

, Our patients have been able to get all of their transplant medications through our local VA. We have made contact with their physician/nurse team at the VA to make them aware of the referral. I also provided a list of the medications and asked if the physician would be willing to rewrite the prescriptions at the time of transplant, so they could be filled there. This has worked well for several of our patients that received a kidney transplant. Maddox Transplant Financial Coordinator Via Christi Hospital Transplant Institute 929 N St Francis, Suite M157 Wichita KS 67214 PH FX shannon.maddox@... “NOTICE – This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential, or sensitive information intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Via Christi Hospital immediately, and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your computer system. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Via Christi Hospital”.

Guest guest

, Our patients have been able to get all of their transplant medications through our local VA. We have made contact with their physician/nurse team at the VA to make them aware of the referral. I also provided a list of the medications and asked if the physician would be willing to rewrite the prescriptions at the time of transplant, so they could be filled there. This has worked well for several of our patients that received a kidney transplant. Maddox Transplant Financial Coordinator Via Christi Hospital Transplant Institute 929 N St Francis, Suite M157 Wichita KS 67214 PH FX shannon.maddox@... “NOTICE – This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential, or sensitive information intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Via Christi Hospital immediately, and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your computer system. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Via Christi Hospital”.

Guest guest

I do the same thing in our center. AyabarrenoFinancial CoordinatorHartford Hospital Transplant Program80 Seymour Street - Suite 321Hartford, CT 06102Tele# Fax# Email: Mayabar@... >>> Maddox 6/12/2012 2:44 PM >>> ,Our patients have been able to get all of their transplant medications through our local VA. We have made contact with their physician/nurse team at the VA to make them aware of the referral. I also provided a list of the medications and asked if the physician would be willing to rewrite the prescriptions at the time of transplant, so they could be filled there. This has worked well for several of our patients that received a kidney transplant. Maddox Transplant Financial Coordinator Via Christi Hospital Transplant Institute 929 N St Francis, Suite M157 Wichita KS 67214 PH FX shannon.maddox@...“NOTICE – This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential, or sensitive information intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this e-mail is prohibi ted. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Via Christi Hospital immediately, and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your computer system. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Via Christi Hospitalâ€.