RemedySpot.com

Re: starting to think i may have this issue...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Petej--so glad your mom did mom

work and helped you find this group....hope you know now tht you are not alone

now.the journey may be challenging but in the long run my wish for you is to

find the help and support you need so you can work and date and enjoy life on

some level.prn

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:03:50 -0000, petejdesign

wrote:

Im a 25 year old male, and found myself looking into this after my mom sent

me a link to the ny times article about sound annoyances. I had confided in her

that i have these "triggers" the last time i was visiting home and it seems that

she has been busy doing research that I never thought to look into.For

me its a few things, that almost always seem to show in a work environment or a

relationship. I used to work in an office where at lunch the designer at the

desk near me would eat yogurt and apples during lunch, the apple was bad, but

the scraping of the empty yogurt container bottom would drive me nuts, i had to

CRANK the volume of my headphones to try and drown it out and calm down. My

current boss walks around the office clicking his pen, this also makes me crazy. I feel like im boiling inside, and i just want to explode or quit and walk out. My last relationship ended recently, we had our normal issues, my issues

didn't help, she never understood why i could be around her when she was

brushing her teeth, and often make fun of me for it, using it to try and

playfully annoy me before bed and getting upset when i wouldn't find it as

amusing and force myself out of the room. Something im curious about is

noise in public places, sometimes when we would be out to eat and in a crowded

restaurant I would get really visibly uncomfortable because i thought she was

talking extremely loudly. I guess after our break i was kind of forced

to take stock in all these things, and am looking to try and fix these issues as

they seem to be effecting my life more than i had thought. It is also nice to

know there are others out there that have similar issues.

Welcome! Welcome! It warms my soul knowing you are reaching out, because it

helps ME to cope with it myself knowing I am not alone.

My problem has greatly affected my relationships. I cannot eat a private dinner

with my immediate family. I can't. it began with only being annoyed with

family members chewing for me and so now as the years have progessed they are

the worse and most stressful for me to be around.

Something that helps me cope is being open about it, and explain the situation

in full. My boyfriend did not believe me at first, but after I ran out of his

car while we had stopped to eat on a trip because his daughter was eating too

loud (of course she was NOT eating too loud, I just have a problem) he

understood what it does to me. Luckily for me he not only understands but tries

to protect me when he thinks that something will drive me crazy like that.

He'll give warnings like " that popsicle will be a lot more tasty if you don't

have Joy going crazy over it "

Actually knowing that the people around you are aware of your condition and

whether they understand it or not will try their best to accommodate you really,

REALLY helps me to deal with the sounds that come with them.

For instance my boyfriends daughter will be eating something particularly

crunchy or slurpy and she'll say " sorry Joy " as a warning that sounds are about

to happen, and it's actually MUCH easier to deal with as I can prepare in my

mind that these sounds are about to be heard, brace yourself!

I think I have just talked for way too long

TL;DR version: Making people aware of your condition and communicating what it

does to you openly (no matter how embarassing it is) helps you to cope with it

while it's happening and before it happens.

>

> Im a 25 year old male, and found myself looking into this after my mom sent me

a link to the ny times article about sound annoyances. I had confided in her

that i have these " triggers " the last time i was visiting home and it seems that

she has been busy doing research that I never thought to look into.

>

> For me its a few things, that almost always seem to show in a work environment

or a relationship. I used to work in an office where at lunch the designer at

the desk near me would eat yogurt and apples during lunch, the apple was bad,

but the scraping of the empty yogurt container bottom would drive me nuts, i had

to CRANK the volume of my headphones to try and drown it out and calm down. My

current boss walks around the office clicking his pen, this also makes me crazy.

I feel like im boiling inside, and i just want to explode or quit and walk out.

>

> My last relationship ended recently, we had our normal issues, my issues

didn't help, she never understood why i could be around her when she was

brushing her teeth, and often make fun of me for it, using it to try and

playfully annoy me before bed and getting upset when i wouldn't find it as

amusing and force myself out of the room.

>

> Something im curious about is noise in public places, sometimes when we would

be out to eat and in a crowded restaurant I would get really visibly

uncomfortable because i thought she was talking extremely loudly.

>

> I guess after our break i was kind of forced to take stock in all these

things, and am looking to try and fix these issues as they seem to be effecting

my life more than i had thought. It is also nice to know there are others out

there that have similar issues.

>

Petejdesign, I have been living with this since age 8 - some of the triggers have changed, but they don't go away. In crowded restaurants, she probably was talking loudly- to try to talk over everyone else. I do that, not even intending to. Its funny because I have hearing loss, except for those high pitched or annoying sounds that set me off - I can hear that in a whisper. Finding a solution for this is hard since there is no cure. Only ways to make it easier on ourselves - which by wearing headphones, you have obviously already learned. As far as the girlfriend goes, souinds like she was immature if she purposely made the sounds that bothered you and made fun of you over it. Good riddance to her - she wasnt worth it to begin

with, and an immature child like that isn't going to make the best spouse or girlfriend to anyone. To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:03 PM Subject: Re: starting to think i may have this issue...

Welcome! Welcome! It warms my soul knowing you are reaching out, because it helps ME to cope with it myself knowing I am not alone.

My problem has greatly affected my relationships. I cannot eat a private dinner with my immediate family. I can't. it began with only being annoyed with family members chewing for me and so now as the years have progessed they are the worse and most stressful for me to be around.

Something that helps me cope is being open about it, and explain the situation in full. My boyfriend did not believe me at first, but after I ran out of his car while we had stopped to eat on a trip because his daughter was eating too loud (of course she was NOT eating too loud, I just have a problem) he understood what it does to me. Luckily for me he not only understands but tries to protect me when he thinks that something will drive me crazy like that. He'll give warnings like "that popsicle will be a lot more tasty if you don't have Joy going crazy over it"

Actually knowing that the people around you are aware of your condition and whether they understand it or not will try their best to accommodate you really, REALLY helps me to deal with the sounds that come with them.

For instance my boyfriends daughter will be eating something particularly crunchy or slurpy and she'll say "sorry Joy" as a warning that sounds are about to happen, and it's actually MUCH easier to deal with as I can prepare in my mind that these sounds are about to be heard, brace yourself!

I think I have just talked for way too long

TL;DR version: Making people aware of your condition and communicating what it does to you openly (no matter how embarassing it is) helps you to cope with it while it's happening and before it happens.

>

> Im a 25 year old male, and found myself looking into this after my mom sent me a link to the ny times article about sound annoyances. I had confided in her that i have these "triggers" the last time i was visiting home and it seems that she has been busy doing research that I never thought to look into.

>

> For me its a few things, that almost always seem to show in a work environment or a relationship. I used to work in an office where at lunch the designer at the desk near me would eat yogurt and apples during lunch, the apple was bad, but the scraping of the empty yogurt container bottom would drive me nuts, i had to CRANK the volume of my headphones to try and drown it out and calm down. My current boss walks around the office clicking his pen, this also makes me crazy. I feel like im boiling inside, and i just want to explode or quit and walk out.

>

> My last relationship ended recently, we had our normal issues, my issues didn't help, she never understood why i could be around her when she was brushing her teeth, and often make fun of me for it, using it to try and playfully annoy me before bed and getting upset when i wouldn't find it as amusing and force myself out of the room.

>

> Something im curious about is noise in public places, sometimes when we would be out to eat and in a crowded restaurant I would get really visibly uncomfortable because i thought she was talking extremely loudly.

>

> I guess after our break i was kind of forced to take stock in all these things, and am looking to try and fix these issues as they seem to be effecting my life more than i had thought. It is also nice to know there are others out there that have similar issues.

>