RemedySpot.com

RE: (unknown)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I was sort of wondering where you disappeared to... I sort of jumped in here with you in support of your well founded position and then sort held down the fort while you were gone on this important issue for awhile.... Summer Camp, that's the real ticket. Real life, classroom, high energy teaching and sharing...

To: Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:32 PMSubject: (unknown)

Jim and ,

Well by Gosh someone just admitted it ( the self serving nature of the certification process) and thanks for doing so! Bob Keaveny of Physician's practice had a good piece on the lack of evidence that certification leads to better outcomes/patient care.

Jim, can you provide a citation for your claim that boarded Docs have ability not possessed by non boarded docs? As we all know, "data" can mean anything.

Kathy and - I dont mean to pick a fight or sound critical, but you both made claims in defense of the cert, process that demand answers- the notion that a Doc can be proved dlinically competent only by a board exam is just wrong. Yes, some CME can be blown off, but not med school, parts 1-3 of licensing boards, or internship/transitional year, correct?

To me, the notion that state lic. boards are going to require certification is the worst type of nanny statism and supporting turf battles. What is so unacceptable about an experienced, competent GP anyway, esp. if the patient accepts this in an informed manner?

I'm with in that the insurers, hospitals and credentialers use any excuse they can to deny payment or access to us, and by us kowtowing to the cert process, we just prove we are willing to jump thru yet another hoop at our own expense. When do we ever say, enough!? And we wonder why healthcare is shockingly expensive in the US?

Riddle me this- if BC is there to prove competency, why do some boards (all, even?) require association membership (AMA, AOA) for three years prior to even apply for the exam? Memebership in a trade group does NOT make anyone a better physician.

Respectfully, .

zell, DO, MPH.

1061 Whispering Lakes Dr.

Madison, GA 30650

, clearly, you have stated the obvious, to all other than a critical core of academics, government bureaucrats, insurance clerks and administrators, among many others who have too much non-clinical time on their hands.

WK

Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:23 PM

To:

Subject: (unknown)

Has anyone else considered that if you've done a residency, been board certified at least once, and are in an active practice, seeing patients every day, maintaining hospital privileges at a JACHO accredited hospital, admitting a certain number of patients yearly, serving on various hospital committees, doing CME with accredited programs, that above a certain threshold of such activity, it could be assumed that you are competent and that re-certification would be automatic based on your proven level of activity in an environment that is quite effective at weeding out incompetents. The more traditional board exam tests (which still need to be re-designed) could be reserved for those who wish to retain their board certification but are no longer actively practicing clinical medicine. Caldwell M.D.>> > > > > > Jim and ,> > Well by Gosh someone just admitted it ( the self serving nature of the certification process) and thanks for doing so! Bob Keaveny of Physician's practice had a good piece on the lack of evidence that certification leads to better outcomes/patient care. > > Jim, can you provide a citation for your claim that boarded Docs have ability not possessed by non boarded docs? As we all know, "data" can mean anything.> > Kathy and - I dont mean to pick a fight or sound critical, but you both made claims in defense of the cert, process that demand answers- the notion that a Doc can be proved dlinically competent only by a board exam is just wrong. Yes, some CME can be blown off, but not med school, parts 1-3 of licensing boards, or internship/transitional year, correct?> > To me, the notion that state lic. boards are going to require certification is the worst type of nanny statism and supporting turf battles. What is so unacceptable about an experienced, competent GP anyway, esp. if the patient accepts this in an informed manner?> > I'm with in that the insurers, hospitals and credentialers use any excuse they can to deny payment or access to us, and by us kowtowing to the cert process, we just prove we are willing to jump thru yet another hoop at our own expense. When do we ever say, enough!? And we wonder why healthcare is shockingly expensive in the US?> > Riddle me this- if BC is there to prove competency, why do some boards (all, even?) require association membership (AMA, AOA) for three years prior to even apply for the exam? Memebership in a trade group does NOT make anyone a better physician.> > Respectfully, .> > > zell, DO, MPH.> 1061 Whispering Lakes Dr.> Madison, GA 30650> > > > >=======Email scanned by PC Tools - No viruses or spyware found.(Email Guard: 7.0.0.27, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.18800)http://www.pctools.com======= =======Email scanned by PC Tools - No viruses or spyware found.(Email Guard: 7.0.0.27, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.18800)http://www.pctools.com=======