RemedySpot.com

Recommended article - Cassandra and Apollo (Maxine Aston)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi : I can be wrong, but I think it was F.A.A.S. that coined the term????  Maxine adopted it later. …Anyway it reminds me that years ago I used to volunteer every other weekend for an organization locally that helped domestic violence victims. Then one day I came to understand that they did not believe men could ever be domestic violence victims. They openly admitted, THEIR definition was that by virtue of historic power imbalance in heterosexual relationships only women could be victims. I think there's a little of that going on in calling something that is born of isolation and depression in any relationship, by a clever name when it is applied to particular ones. I volunteer for an organization locally that helps domestic violence victims.  They only serve women and their children, not that men are not victims as they are, but the numbers are overwhelming that men commit the most acts of violence/aggression against women, children and other males.  It is more than possible males don’t report at the same rate due to our culture that skew the statistics.  Even autism stats state the ratio is higher for boys than girls.  Some say it looks different in females which might skew the stats as well?  As a society we are growing less intolerable towards men that behave badly and we tend to protect women & children more as we are still perceived as the weaker sex that needs protection.  On the other hand, some say it is how we raise boys as we raise them to be strong and in control.  I would agree that there is a lot going on here and everyone’s situation is different.  I think at the time Cassandra was coined there was little information on AS available to families & the public.  Now, all one has to do is an Internet search and you will find whatever you are looking from from the perspective of families and those “with†AS.  There are still folks that have a hard time putting people on the high end of what was tradionally known as autism under the same umbrella or in the same box.  The autism community has done much to raise awareness of autism in the general public.  We still have a long way to go as we learn more about it and continue to redefine it.This is just my personal opinion.